Author Topic: Robbed three times in one night!  (Read 16924 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Robbed three times in one night!
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
Started a game in AP to see what it would be like with Supernatural and Seasons.  Remodeled the house, got it fixed up all nice like I wanted it and sent them to bed.
Not five minutes later the burglar music began to play.  Realized I had forgotten to put in the alarms, so woke up the hubby and had him call the police.
Cop comes, fights the burglar and he gets away.  Sims go back to bed and I add the alarms to the doors. 
It wasn't but a few mintues later and the music plays again.  Diffirent burglar this time, he also gets away. 

Get the sims settled back in, they have lost half of the night to burglars and the cops.
What happens, the music starts to play again, a THIRD burglar is breaking in.  This one was caught. 

Three times a charm, so I guess it took three times for this family in the being robbed.  Hopefully, they won't be robbed any more. 

This game seems to want to be unusual, three robberies in one night, then at the fair during a hot dog eatting contest, a townie sim, who had the hungry bubble, all of a sudden drops to th ground.  It seems that even though she was eating hot dogs, she still starved to death, Grim came and took her. 

A couple of days later at another hot dog eating contest, one of the townie sims who is pregnant goes into labor.  She finally leaves, after freaking everyone out and has her baby at the hospital.   A litle boy. 

I'm beginning to wonder what will be instore for this family, with such an interesting start. 

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Robbed three times in one night!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
I believe that installing a burglar alarm triggers a burglar much of the time.  It happens to me almost every time I put in the alarm.  So, you had already had the burglar once, then installing the alarm triggered the second one.  I don't know about the third one, though.  Maybe it was just a really good trigger.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »
After remodeling the house, I kept thinking there was something I missed.  Of course, it was the alarm.  The music reminded me.

What I saw as funny was that just after he left a different burglar came.  I had put up the alarms by then so they went off.
The third was the same burglar as the second, but this time he was caught. The alarms had just shut off, he leaves and comes back, he walked back up on the porch, alarms go off, the police showed up and catch him.   

What always gets me is that sometimes the burglar is standing right there, trying to leave and the cop and sim are talking.  He just stands there tapping his foot.  I keep thinking that in real life the cop would be getting yelled at for ignoring the burglar  :)

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
I've never been burglarized more than once a night...and never had it triggered by a burglar alarm. You shouldn't need more than one of those things as the burglars go directly to what entrance you have set as the front door. I usually stick my alarm on the outside next to the door.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
I almost always set the front door as the front door, and I have placed an alarm in two spots, one inside and one out.  But I have had several times a burglar go in by a side door and no alarm go off even though I have had an alarm at the front door.  It is, I think, supposed to go off no matter what door.  So now I do overkill in the alarms, one at each door, and some are inside and some outside. 
The first time with the burglar, he came in by the side door, even though I had the front door set as front door, no alarms then.  I hadn't locked any of the doors, but that doesn't seem to matter with thieves. 
The second thief, he came in by the front door, and set off the alarm.  The third one, by the front door and the alarm went off.

I just find it funny, to have a robbery attempt three times in one night.  This is the first time it has happened to me and I think it was just a fluke of a random code.  I don't expect it to happen again, just saw it as somewhat funny.     

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
3 attempted burglaries in one night is impressive.  I've never seen more than one!  For me, thieves always when show up when my sims are especially tired and need a good night's sleep.  Obviously it's a coincidence, but it drives me nuts!

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:50 AM »
Yikes, talk about unlucky! I've never had more than one robbery a night. What is silly is that the burglars get away so often -- that's why I actually find an alarm to be somewhat counterproductive if one of the family members has the Brave trait and some skill in Athletics and/or Martial Arts. Beat the tar out of the would-be robber and get rewarded for it! With an alarm, the cop is usually faster on the scene than I can get my Sim to the burglar for a fight.

Not that it really matters since the burglar can just respawn again the next night, but beating them up is still satisfying.  :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
I almost always set the front door as the front door, and I have placed an alarm in two spots, one inside and one out.  But I have had several times a burglar go in by a side door and no alarm go off even though I have had an alarm at the front door.  It is, I think, supposed to go off no matter what door.  So now I do overkill in the alarms, one at each door, and some are inside and some outside.
You don't need to put the alarm on the outside of the door, just the inside. The sim alarm system is different to real life. You have to have them at each exterior door to actually go off if a burglar comes in. That's why the alarm didn't go off when the burglar came in the side door, because you only had it at the front door. And, I'm guessing the side door was easily accessible from the front of the lot? That may be why the burglar came in from that door. I don't put an alarm at my back door, since none of the burglars have ever gone through there, and that majority of the time, it's not easily accessible.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Even with brave and evil type sims, it is wise to have a burglar alarm...because they sometimes show up when you are not on the lot.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
  My front door is the most accessible of all of the doors.  I have had burglars go past the front door and go to a side door into the kitchen.  Had them come from the back of the lot and go around to the front of the house; passing the kitchen door and the patio door.
I watched one burglar go around the house, go through the paito door in the master bedroom through it to the kitchen, through there to the family room and put the tv in a bag, go out the front door which then set off the alarm.   

It was after that robbery that I decided to put an alarm on every door. 

My guess is that it is just a randomness of the programimg and I got "lucky" with three visit.  Which I found amusing for three to have happened inone night.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 02:29:10 AM »
My guess is that it is just a randomness of the programimg and I got "lucky" with three visit.  Which I found amusing for three to have happened inone night.

Yeah, you did. The chance is 2.5% once every Sim is asleep and every $20,000 in your household's net worth adds 1% to this, to a max of 10%. Incidentally, if your relationship with the burglar is 75+, he won't rob you. Also, if you're like me and there's always an awake Sim (thanks to the MM), the Burglar will never appear, as he should always appear between 9PM and 2AM, and always at maximum 4 hours after the last Sim is asleep.

Their quota is 0.05% of the household worth, and the burglar will go 0.1% over or under to be considered "done".

Side note: EA copied some of the Repairman tuning. :P

Code: [Select]
<!--Length of time (in hours) that repairman waits before leaving the lot, after his work is done-->

Offline Sherry

• A stressful student mostly. A 0,01% nice
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »
Could it be something to do with the sim's trait?

Are they having unlucky trait or something that trigger more of the robber?
You want to see a miracle? be the miracle - Bruce Almighty 'God'
Everybody Lies - Gregory House

My current Goth project Goth Affairs
A Blood Red Dynasty My first try in dynasty

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:02:54 AM »
You don't need to put the alarm on the outside of the door, just the inside. The sim alarm system is different to real life. You have to have them at each exterior door to actually go off if a burglar comes in. That's why the alarm didn't go off when the burglar came in the side door, because you only had it at the front door. And, I'm guessing the side door was easily accessible from the front of the lot? That may be why the burglar came in from that door. I don't put an alarm at my back door, since none of the burglars have ever gone through there, and that majority of the time, it's not easily accessible.

For me, it does work better if I put the alarm on the outside of the house.  With it on the outside, it will catch the burglar as soon as he sets foot on the property.  With an interior alarm, it doesn't go off until he comes into the house.  When it's on the outside, he stops, holds his ears, and jumps around.  This gives the police time to get there and catch him.  But even if they don't actually catch him, he really hasn't stolen anything because he never got inside the house.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 04:44:38 AM »
@Pam: True, true. Those are very valid reasons to putting them outside, but I rarely do myself. Even if I put it inside, and there are objects near the front door, the burglar never steals them. He just does the action and the policeman comes, nothing else. But, if you have items outside and they are in line (or near) to the front door, the burglar can still get them. That's when you get a fence and do MOO to place the alarm if the situation arose.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Louise56

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I always put a alarm outside. Thiefs van be sneaky. :P

anything