Author Topic: Island Paradise - First Impressions  (Read 62821 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Island Paradise - First Impressions
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »
It's finally here!  Tell us about your first impressions of this eagerly anticipated expansion pack.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Island Paradise - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:40 AM »
I like it so far.
Scuba diving seems to be spot oriented, but still fun. As you get higher in skill you get more spots to dive on.  Only level 3 scuba so far so only a few spots are open. Some spots and caves seem to be level restricted though. You can get diving jobs at the bistro but I haven't really experimented with it too much.
The mailman and newspaper delivery by boat I think is a nice touch.
But i DID get to meet and talk to my first mermaid!
As for the lifeguard job, from what I've played you go to a beach and survey it till either someone needs saving or your day ends. That's been my experience so far with it till level 6. Am at level 7 so far, and at that level the job description mentions "Mouth to mouth" so I guess that will be part of it from now on. Had to go to bed before I could experiment more.
Did swim at the beach in winter and got an honorary polar bear club membership. :)
The lifeguard bathing suit has that "Baywatch" feel it seems to me. :) (It's red)
Have not tried the resorts yet or building a houseboat by scratch so others will have to let you all know about that. hehe
Spent a few hours mainly downloading it and sampling everything I could...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:31:54 AM »
Sounds great! Are there people who can post some screenshots? I'm dying to see and hear more, but I live in the Netherlands, so I have to wait untill Thursday...  :(

Edit: I'm very sorry I just saw there is a topic for screenshots. I'll take a look there.

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
I don't get it until Friday so what are the new traits, Lifetime Wishes and Rewards?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:10 AM »
My plan had been to wake up several hours ago to start the download and information process.   My body had other ideas.   

From community days and live broadcasts I know the new traits are:  Love to Swim and Sailor.   The new LTWs are Deep Sea Diver, Seaside Savior, Resort Empire and One for finding all 8 islands.  New rewards are Strong Stomach, Steel Lungs, Hotel Mogul, Mermadic Kelp, Uncharted Island Map and Friend of the Kraken.

More information will come out soon about cost and stuff like that especially as Carl gets his guides going.

I'll have screenshots and all that ready to go very soon too.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
I can't wait to get this expansion pack. Sadly I have to wait till at least late thursday night till I have the chance to buy it. I am really looking forward to the new clothes and hairstyles because I seem to be running out of unique outfits for my sims and want to try something new.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »

So far I really like this expansion.   Most of the rabbit holes are combination though. The only ones that aren't are theatre, science, criminal and medical.   Not all of them are on the main island either so you'll need a boat or teleporter to get to some of them.  I've got the glitch where lot sizes seem weird.  It's either that or the person who made the world didn't like normal lot sizes.  I've seen 21 x 14, 59 x 59, 20 x 29.   I'm hoping it's a glitch.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
Thanks, Ricalynn. I am really looking forward to this expansion pack.  I got word it has been dispatched today.

Offline SeaUnicorn

• Townie
  • Pool noodles are awesome!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
This EP is amazing! The water is so pretty. The only thing I can't figure out is how to increase the scuba diving skill.
I love rain!

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
I know it's not exactly the topic of this thread, but does anyone know if installing Island Paradise fixed the slow-skilling glitch?
I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
Not sure yet Azokka.  New games aren't effected by it as far as I can tell and I won't be trying old games until tomorrow at the earliest.

With Island Paradise, Sims can click on a parking space or one of the mooring poles in the water to purchase a vehicle without having to go into buy mode.

The LayzyDazy Paddleboat is §250.
Rowboat is §275.
The Swan Paddleboat is §300.
An Aqua-sled is §475.
Sailboat is §4200.
The Skimitron Outboard Speedboat is §22,000.
The Speedboat by Public Domains is §45,000.

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Snorkeling raises the scuba diving skill, plus you can go to a class for it. Haven't had any pier pressure yet .....  ::)

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Developer's Blog:  Island Paradise Has Docked link

Wow! Can you believe The Sims 3 Island Paradise launch day is finally here!? What an adventure this project has been! In fact, it’s been exactly one year since the very first meeting we had to figure out the theme for the 10th expansion pack for The Sims 3 . And, despite it being the 10th in a long line of great The Sims 3 titles, I’ve never been more excited for the launch of any game I’ve ever worked on! The Sims 3 Island Paradise is a huge expansion pack that adds major features for everyone – regardless of how you play The Sims . From houseboats and resorts, to uncharted islands and scuba diving, I can’t think of any other TS3 expansion that added so many new major systems and ways to play. But you guys already know all about what’s in the pack! So instead of using this blog to recap all of the great things in The Sims 3 Island Paradise , I thought I’d share a few tips and tricks so that you can dive into your very own paradise as soon as you get your hands on it.

•    The easiest way to get into resort management is to “buy” Hobart’s Hideaway. This once, beautiful resort has fallen into disrepair and needs a lot of work, but it’s a great way to kick start your resort empire without too much financial commitment! Due to the state of the resort, it’s going for the low, low price of §0.00! It will get you into resort management much quicker than building one from scratch.
•    There’s a multitude of different ways to discover uncharted islands. Some can be discovered by simply exploring the area around them via boat, and others will take a little bit more investigation. Try talking to some of the local Isla Paradiso residents, as they have inside knowledge of the surrounding islands and may send you on a quest for discovery!
•    Scuba diving opens up a whole new underwater realm for your Sims to explore. But it can be dangerous! Make sure to acquire the Scuba diving skill by snorkeling first before you try heading out into the deep waters.
•    Keeping guests at your resort happy is a tricky thing to do! Amenities and fun objects found in the Resort Objects Tab in Build & Buy Modes are key to making sure your resort guests have a great time. Happy guests can mean a successful resort!

•    When it comes to houseboat living, the ocean is your backyard! Move between ports whenever you’d like, or leave the landlubber life behind completely and make home sweet home in the middle of the ocean.
•    Scuba diving Sims may encounter a mysterious mermaid from time to time beneath the waves. Becoming friends with one is key to revealing the secret behind transforming your Sim into one of them!

•    When it comes to building houseboats, there are many hull sizes and shapes to start with. If you’re building a smaller houseboat, ladders and the All-in-One Bathroom are crucial for maintaining a functional household in a cramped space.
•    AQUA SLED!!!!! Different boats travel at different speeds. So if you’re looking to get somewhere quick, save up and purchase an Aqua Sled or Speedboat for your Sims. Both will get you where you need to go (which can be a very long way in Isla Paradiso).

And there you have it - some hot tips to get you up and Simming on the sunny shores of Isla Paradiso. As always, and even more so with this expansion pack, I can’t wait to hear about all the fun you’ll have with The Sims 3 Island Paradise - I’m always amazed to see the content and stories that we didn’t even think were possible being told and created by you. Until next time Simmers, Shaka Brah!

-SimGuruRyan

brappl

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
First Impression?  Looks awesome.  Perhaps one of the best yet.  Got the notice from Origin a little after midnight THE 25th and started the download.  The notice for the Survival and Costum packs was also sent by Origin at that time ( I have not installed those yet). Was very surprised how little time the download and installation took.  Barely 10 minutes.  I spent a couple of hours navigating around and the presentation is appealing.  Also have had no problems with mods or cc so far.  It was nice to put my files back into the new game and actually be able to start it up first try with nothing crashing (thank you Twallan).   Lot sizes stuck out at me.  I am used to using the AddLotSize Cheat to get some of these lot sizes in my other games.  Only a couple of hours play last night though and grand kids today so will have to put off going through the remaining  list of things to check until later.... that is, unless I get hopelessly hung up in Rica's newest Challenge as I did yesterday.

I sure hope everyone will be pleased with this latest EP.  It's much more creative and for now, looks more thought out than some of the other EP's.  I'll take a few bumps in the road if need be for this one.  I think it is worth it!

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »

When you're choosing where to live, players can click on a port and buy a houseboat to start off with.  Here are the prices.  There are also houseboats set up to be bought just like starter homes.  There is a small fee attached once you spawn the houseboat of your choosing.

Also scuba gear is not an option but your Sim will change into those clothes when they go down underwater. No idea if it can be recolored yet.

anything