Author Topic: Skills and Career Stuff  (Read 5691 times)

Offline crumbs

• Nooboo
Skills and Career Stuff
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
I don't know how far you all have gotten on the guides for things, but as I've been playing I found a couple things that are kind of interesting with skills and careers.  Also I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is really acceptable protocol.

But, I have a writer who is maxed out in his craft and he's able to write The Book of Life.  So as far as I've seen, he writes the book first and then it goes into his inventory.  From there you can self-publish it, sell it to a publisher, or submit it to the literary digest like any other book.  However, you can click on it and then (and I forget the literal phrasing now, I apologize) write someone's life into the book.  He had a wife and a daughter, his wife is the adult age and his daughter's a child, but he was only able to record his wife into the book.  My assumption is that it's like a 'get out of death free' card.  I'm really interested to see if it works this way, has anyone else done this?

I also have a sim who is in the the Tech career (Pro-Gamer track).  Her skills in gaming and programming are maxed out.  The Pro-Gamer track unlocks the ability to livestream games from home, which makes her some money.  As a test I had her play for about 24 hours on end, and even with something like 250,000 fans she only makes roughly 1,200 simoleons from that amount of time.  Whereas if you win a professional game tournament you get around 600 simleons.  You can't do the tournaments as often, but it still seems more worth while to do the tournaments whenever you can.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Skills and Career Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
It is very generous of you to use your time to register just to tell me that. I appreciate it. Information like that is helpful, in case I miss it. I will cover writing soon, as it is one of my favorite skills of the past. For now, I'm working on Painting and the Painter Career simultaneously :)

Edit: Real-life gaming tournaments have reached prize pools of $1 million, so that should have been a bit higher maybe :D Still, it is awesome they acknowledge things like youtubers and gaming as an esport.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline crumbs

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
I've been lurking around here for Sims 3 information for quite a long time, thank you for the excellent site!  I decided it was time to just register.  :]

My sim hasn't won nearly that much, sadly.  haha  But I think the prizes vary based on how much you play the chosen game in your free time.  You can pick any game you have unlocked.  I think I've gotten up to 1,000 but on average it's been about 600.  I was really excited to see the livestreaming option though, it's a pretty cool little addition to the game.

Offline MeesterPepper

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
I thought I'd help, too! I've completed two Aspirations, and here's what I've learned about the reward traits:

Computer Whiz - Webmaster
Adds three new interactions to your computers,
"Internet Stalk" - Allows you to choose a Sim from a list of known Sims and learn all their traits. Takes about one hour to complete.
"Research Binge" - Randomly adds points to a skill/skills your Sim knows, takes about three hours to complete.
"Earn Money Turking" - Your Sim performs odd jobs on the web for cash. Takes about three and a half hours to complete, and seems to pretty consistently pay out between $1,200 and $1,500, but in one session my Sim earned $2,900 so luck seems to be a big factor.

The Curator - Appraiser
You can click on Metals, Crystals, Fossils, and Elements in this Sim's inventory to sell to the Simsonian Museum. I don't think that the money you get back is dependent on the value or rarity of the item you donate - I received $176 for a rare Plumbobus valued at $80, and then I received $223 for a for common Phozonite valued at $60.

And to talk about Livestreaming on the Pro Gamer career track, I started seeing slightly better donations after my Sim's Charisma skill went up. It needs more testing because it may have just been luck, of course. I also wonder if having a good Comedy skill level could effect how often your sim receives donations, or their value. Could be worth trying out.

Offline crumbs

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
My sim rarely raises her charisma and hasn't raised comedy since she started, so I don't know if it's that.  However her earned money is getting higher now with over a million fans.  I think it might be purely fan-based.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
Thank you all for the tips - the amount of info you're throwing my way would be overwhelming if I had to digest it all at once, but I get to look when I need it. I greatly appreciate it, and keep it coming! I will eventually get to those guides and any tips you provide are certainly going to help. I can't 100% everything and be efficient in writing these... We all go off in different directions with the game, and you all exploring features like this is helping a lot. General Discussion is also helpful to me, when I get to something that there has been a lot of discussion about :)

Offline EleLL

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
When you max out Cooking or Gourmet (or maybe both as I have them both on my cooking sim), and you take an energizing shower, your cooking sim can then make a High Protein Meal. Thought that was pretty cool considering she's gained way too much weight. It will show up when you click the items for cooking as "Special Meal", then you select the quantity.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MooseSmuggler

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
*takes a bow* another long-time lurker joining to offer their assistance. I'm waiting on another game release next month, and need something to help pass the time (though I'll happily stick around after Smash comes out). I have a random craving to do a Criminal Sim, since it's so out of my normal box. I can compile what I learn if anyone wants me to! I can also do anything else afterwards. The Sims is always a great way to pass the time, and the least I can do after all the help I've gotten here is offer to contribute.

Offline crumbs

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »
Another quick note!  When your E-Gamer sim retires, you can no longer livestream, so plan accordingly.  You do get a pension, naturally.  Somehow I was getting a double-pension glitch.  Even restarting the game didn't stop that one from occurring.  Now onto rocket science and the special agent.   ;D

@EleLL I didn't know that one, so that's really cool to know!

Offline lynyeld

• Llama Wrangler
  • Coffeeholic
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
I have maxed on Writing skill; Cooking skill and Gourmet cooking skill.
I have also maxed on the Chef Branch of Culinary and the Author Branch of Writing.

@ Carl
Would you like me to post each skill level's rewards/achievements received and the scheduled hours etc. as you have done with the Painter Career?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
It's OK on posting hours. I need to do those myself to be able to write about them anyway, and actually have a few careers from another person who has linked me to them. I wouldn't want anyone's efforts to help to overlap too much.

I don't mind hearing what the overall rewards are and what they do; sometimes I can miss the mark on the purpose of something. I'm not 100% confident I'm right about the agents for painter career. That it throws you 500 simoleons and indicates you should sell a painting is very odd.

Offline Surreallia

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
Fitness Skill at the gym!

I've been playing a lot lately and have been playing around with the fitness skill. The best feature I have found so far, is by going to the gym and finding a lovely person who is able to mentor, you build relationships supremely fast! This also occurs when you mentor someone!

I am not sure if this is around in any of the guides as I didn't read each one word for word, but I figured I'd bring it up and it if is already posted somewhere then that is wonderful =)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Are you able to ask someone to Mentor your Sim?

Offline Surreallia

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »
Provided a sim on the lot is +10 in a skill with the mentor reward, yes. I find at the gym, you get lucky a lot and generally find someone who has the ability. I am not sure about other skills or other lots quite yet though as I haven't attempted.

Within one mentor session at the gym, my sim and another went from no relationship to good friends!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
I think it's one of the best ways to make friends when you start a brand new game... and build fitness, and cooking if you watch the TV to!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

anything