Author Topic: Frog breeding  (Read 72570 times)

Offline Kresh

• Nooboo
Frog breeding
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:02:33 PM »
I figured out how the frog breeding mechanic works and thought I could share it.

Each frog has two genes, and as you breed two frogs the offspring will get a mix of the genes from the parents. Pretty lifelike so far.

The genes comes in two categories, one "element" and one "attribute".
Elements: Leaf, Dirt, Eggplant, Heart, Sunflower
Attributes: None, Striped, Spotted, Surf, Whirl

Some frogs have names that hide the true genes of the frog. "Tiger" for example, is actually a Striped Sunflower Frog, if you would look at the underlying genes.

So, if you e.g. breed a Spotted Leaf Frog with a Striped Dirt Frog, you will at random get one of four possible combinations of spotted/striped and leaf/dirt.
If you want an Eggplant Whirl Frog, you need to breed a Eggplant Something Frog with a Whirl Something Frog, and wait for the 1 in 4 random chance to pop up.

Here is the gene chart:

NoneStripedSpottedSurfWhirl
LeafLeaf FrogStriped Leaf FrogSpotted Leaf FrogSurfer Leaf FrogHypnoFrog
DirtDirt FrogStriped Dirt FrogSpotted Dirt FrogDirtsurfer FrogDirtwhirl Frog
EggplantEggplant FrogStriped Eggplant FrogSpotted Eggplant FrogSurfer Eggplant FrogEggplant Whirl Frog
HeartHeart FrogStriped Heart FrogSpotted Heart FrogHeartsurfer FrogBullseye Frog
SunflowerSunflower FrogTiger FrogLeopard FrogSunsurfer FrogWhirlyflower Frog

Green = Common
Orange = Uncommon
Red = Rare

I haven't had time to test this thoroughly yet. If anyone spots any errors I would be grateful if you would let me know.

Since I don't have an English version of the game I have borrowed all the English names from a post by chellwatt98, thanks!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Frog breeding
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
Really great information! Thanks! I will definitely reference this when I build the section on collecting. I haven't explored that myself, but do keep picking up frogs with my Sim, so that I am likely to catch as many rares as possible.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Yokoelf

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
Really thanks! I was looking for something like this. The only frog missing for me was the Bullseye. I had tried already the given combination but I wasn't aware of the 1/4 mechanics. I hope I can get it now; I will report it then.

Offline Yokoelf

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
After around 6 random breeding frogs that had Heart and Whirl characteristics I got the Bullseye Frog.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
Thank you!!

Edit: Does anyone else think it's silly that ALL frogs are $35? What's the point of trying to get Rare ones?
- Jessica

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »
Thank you!!

Edit: Does anyone else think it's silly that ALL frogs are $35? What's the point of trying to get Rare ones?

I think that's one of those things they'll likely patch.  It is unlike any other item in any of the games if it doesn't vary in price by rarity.

Offline Kresh

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
After around 6 random breeding frogs that had Heart and Whirl characteristics I got the Bullseye Frog.

Glad to hear it!

I think that's one of those things they'll likely patch.  It is unlike any other item in any of the games if it doesn't vary in price by rarity.

I sure hope they patch it. I was wondering if it would be a too easy way of making money, since its easy to get more rares by breeding rares. On the other hand, it is not really exploitable since it already has a time restraint. As it is, there is no reward for finding a rare compared to finding a common one, and that is a bit boring.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
I sure hope they patch it. I was wondering if it would be a too easy way of making money, since its easy to get more rares by breeding rares. On the other hand, it is not really exploitable since it already has a time restraint. As it is, there is no reward for finding a rare compared to finding a common one, and that is a bit boring.
Maybe after you breed a frog a certain number of times, it's then too old and tired out to breed anymore, and it "croaks". (Pardon my pun)
- Jessica

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
§35 is not really very much in the scheme of things - and considering you can only look for frogs in each habitat roughly once per day, it's not a game breaker. The main reason to collect and breed frogs is to complete the collection. Once you complete the collection you get sent a plaque in the mail.

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
Do the frogs die after a time?

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Awesome! Thanks a lot for this information @Kresh

Offline skatoolaki

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
I wanted to thank Kresh, again, for this information. I just started playing the game again and was lost on frog breeding, but this - all these many months later - really did help.

Prices for frogs must have been changed in an update, as selling them gives you a higher price for more rare frogs. Just to note.

Also, does anyone else find this mirrors the Pocket Frogs game? I've had this app/game on my iPhone for years and it's essentially the same thing - breeding different types of frogs to get, well, different types of frogs. It's also strangely addicting. For awhile, everyone in my family was playing it! I wonder if it was the inspiration for frogs & breeding them like this (with genes/attributes) in The Sims 4? Thoughts?

anything