Author Topic: The Greening of Newcrest - an Apocalypse Challenge (Nov 5th 2018) COMPLETE  (Read 39759 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Greening of Newcrest - an Apocalypse Challenge (July 10th)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »
Travis is such a good choice for a spouse and super to see those promotions rolling in!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 04:45:28 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments.  Sorry I've not updated much, I'm struggling to find time to both play and write.  (And I keep forgetting to take pictures  :( )

Summary: Avani is 2 days away from completing Business management, Travis is 1 day from his next promotion, Abigail will soon be a teen, nooboo 2 is an A grade student, nooboo 3 is a bassinet slave and we'll be working on nooboo 4 soon.  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
A small but important update.

Avani Max Career.jpg

Lots of happy jumping and dancing, Avani has cleared the first career and we can now relax at work, not worry about being late etc.

For those of you who are still following this thread, here are the kids.

All Kids.jpg

On the left we have Abigail, who has just gained an A grade in highschool. Her name means 'fathers joy' in Hebrew.
On the right, previously known as nooboo2, I present Bakari. His name means 'noble oath/promise' in Egyptian or 'hopeful' in Swahili.
In the middle, only recently out of his crib, its ..... Cadeo. A Vietnamese name meaning 'folk song'.

Abigail rolled music lover to go with her genius trait and master chef to follow her Artistic prodigy aspiration.  Should make clearing culinary-chef much easier for her as she managed to finish her childhood aspiration.

Bakari has rolled perfectionist and rumbunctious scamp which is tricky to finish atm as the computer is still out of bounds.

Cadeo rolled self-assured and wizz kid.  We'll see how he does.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Greening of Newcrest - an Apocalypse Challenge (July 20th)
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
Congrats on clearing your first career!
The children are growing up so quickly! Can't wait to see what new plans you have for Bakari and Cadeo!

Offline officialghosts

• Occult
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
Congratulations on maxing the first career!

The children look great! Unfortunately, you might encounter some difficulty trying to max the Chef career with Abigail, since it requires level 8 in Gourmet Cooking, and Gourmet Cooking is very difficult to level without jumping through a few hoops. If Avani has the skill and has completed Renaissance Sim you can have her join the Author career and write a skill book for it, and have Abigail read that. Otherwise, the only way I know of that you can level it at this point is by building it at work, but that lowers performance and I imagine it takes quite a while.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »
@officialghosts, my plan is a combination of Avani writing a skill book and using 'discuss gourmet meal' interaction.  At the moment I can't decide whether to have Avani quit management and join author or whether to wait until Travis has maxed eSport Gamer when the computer will be free to use.

Offline officialghosts

• Occult
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 06:25:37 PM »
@HelenP Oh yeah, using the social interactions is a good idea! And personally, I would switch her over to Author now unless Travis is gonna max his career before Abigail ages up. I like to get most of the skilling for this challenge out of the way during the teen years, since it can be difficult to balance it when combined with a career.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
If Avani joins the Author career, she will have access to the computer for her daily task "write books," regardless of whether Travis has lifted the Esport Gamer restriction.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
Chapter 3: Kid and House Stuff

Abigail: So, um, Watcher can I do this one, please.

W: I don't see why not.

Abbie: Right, well, um, Mum maxed her career in business you see and pursuaded the bosses of other business not to be so horrid which means adults don't have to work so hard any more.  The knock on effect is we kids don't have to work so hard in school because the teachers are less stressed.  Result. 

I've started working towards my chef career by taking over all the cooking.  Mum is really happy about this, she says that the next best thing to being a chef herself is having me do it, so she quit her business job and joined the writer career.  What has this to do with chef career you may ask, well, um, she has to write for her daily task you see so she wrote me a gourmet cooking book.  Now I can work on cooking and gourmet cooking at home and be ahead of the game when I start my career. Result.

Watcher has added another basement to the house because we had so much money that the mob would take otherwise.  It's got a yoga mat and exercise machines as well as a spare room which, um, I guess will be a bedroom. Now we can all get into a good mood for work and stuff. Result.

W: Abbie, why do you keep saying 'Result'?

A: Oh Watcher, don't you know <giggle>, all the cool kids at school use it.  And, um, I'm one of them now I sit at the back of the classroom you see.  Result.

W: Ah, a teenage thing then.

A: Um, can we show everyone pictures of the house now you've redone it.

W: Sure, why not.

A: So we have Basement 2, Basement 1, Ground Floor, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, Roof
House B2.jpg
house B1.jpg
house g.jpg
House 1.jpg
House 2.jpg
House R.jpg

A:  What else, um, yeah, Bakari became teen, joining me in highschool. He's pretty sad about it cause he aged up in the middle of the night and nobody was awake to celebrate you see.  He immediately decided he wanted to be a party animal, um, but that's not going to happen because no-one is interested in fun, just survival.  He also got our Dads self-assuredness so, um, maybe he'll not be too sad all the time when people turn down his invites.

Bakari Teen.jpg

Mum had a chat with him over breakfast you see, and now he is happier and trying to decide whether to get people interested in parties (comedian career) or teach parents to influence their kids better (teen-babysitter career).

Bakari breakfast 2.jpg
Bakari breakfast 1.jpg

I think that's about it.  Um, Watcher have you got anything to add?

W: No, you've done a great job undating everyone.

A: Result then?

W: Yes, result.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: The Greening of Newcrest - an Apocalypse Challenge (July 24th)
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
So much work for this challenge!  I admit, I'm too chicken to try.  Love how that little house has grown!  It's really looking good as are all the kids! Thanks for the update.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 03:24:15 AM »
Oh dear, I'd read this update soon after you posted and just now realized that I'd never commented, though I have much to say! lol.

The house is looking really great! You've made it look quite cheerful using colorful wall/floor coverings, stairs, rugs, and all!
Wow, Bakari looks like a dark-haired Travis! Why does he look so sad? Poor kid--his aspiration is a dead end until the restriction on throwing parties is lifted!

I'd thought I was so clever, adding little wall shelves to all the rooms to store found-written skill books, cameras, a tablet, and so on.
It annoyed me to no end, though, that sims would place their dirty dishes up there! Grrrr. I ended up taking most of them down because of that, lol.

Are you enjoying this challenge? You seem to be! Is Cadeo a blonde? Have you planned out the careers for Bakari and Cadeo by now?
Looking forward to the next update!

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 05:01:15 AM »
@Joria I'm glad you like what I've done with the house.  I'm deliberately keeping floor 2 pretty empty so I have options for later in the game.

@oshizu I feel I'm doing quite well with my limited playing time, and I'm definately enjoying it.  I have decided what Bakari is doing, not sure about Cadeo yet, I want to wait for his teenage trait and aspiration.  Nooboo 4 is on the way!  Most of the decoration is Joria's original design, she did such a good job  :D.

I have a busy week this coming week, then we are going away on holiday for 2 weeks so updates will be slow. I hope to get 1 update out before I head off.

Thanks for reading.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
You're doing a great job, Helen! I love this challenge though I've yet to complete it. I'm working on it though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Luna264

• Primary historian specializing in the Houseplant Incident
  • Llama Wrangler
  • A small car drives up. It is an avacado.
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
Looks great so far! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
Post Holiday Update.

I don't think I will be able to play and write a story any more, but I will keep updating this thread. Trying to think of story ideas is reducing my enjoyment of the challenge.

Avani has written skill books for gourmet cooking, mischief, charisma and comedy, and Books of Life for everyone in the household except herself and Dinara, previously known as nooboo 4. Dinara is a Russian girls name meaning 'treasure'.

The household has grown, Marcus Flex joined as Gen 2's move-in.  He's working on the Athlete - Bodybuilder career. This may not work out as he is already an adult but we'll see.  If nothing else, his genes will make an interesting contribution to Gen 3.  Bakari has maxed the Teen - Babysitter career, so I have free choice on his adult trait, Cadeo's teen and adult traits and aspirations as well as Dinara and all future nooboos traits/aspirations.  Dinara is aiming for one of the Secret Agent careers and Cadeo the other.  I gave her Genius trait and Whiz Kid aspiration.

Abigail aged up to adult a couple of Sim hours before Bakari maxed babysitter, but thankfully with the useful Family Oriented trait, and is trying for a nooboo with Marcus.  Once her baby is a child she will join the culinary career.  She is half-way through level 6 gourmet cooking but it is very slow going with the 'discuss goumet meal' conversation topic.  She has maxed normal cooking and has a couple of levels in mixology.

Travis is 1 working day from maxing Tech Guru - eSport career so he and Avani will be able to retire soon and look after the house & kids.

Abigail and Marcus's child will either follow its dad into athletics (especially if he fails to max that career) or maybe join the journalist career. Too far away to decide at the moment.

Feel free to comment on your favourite order for clearing careers, it's always useful to know the restrictions that people found hardest to live with.

ETA: I just went to have Abigail and Marcus 'try for baby' again in case the 1st attempt hadn't worked, but it is greyed out as the 'household is too big'. Yippee, nooboo 5 is on the way!

anything