Author Topic: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, Completed  (Read 74806 times)

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 1
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Yay! Congratulations to Ojo. I love your watcher-heir dialogue, especially the farewell. Very sweet.
I also keep chuckling at how confused Ojo is about the whole process. Why am I doing this? Where did this punching bag come from? Can't I do something else? He cracks me up. I'll miss him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NexttoNormal

• Townie
  • A bit dramatic, a little insane, mostly artistic
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
Congratulations Ojo, the farewell was very sweet like @FrancescaFiori said. I can't wait to see what Lewis does and who he marries.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done, Ojo, and farewell!
I loved the way Ojo's confusion and questioning seemed to mirror my many uncertainties about this challenge. A mighty clever way to hand down tips to the readers!

Ojo's timing for passing on the torch to Lewis was perfect, MarianT!
I look forward to the continuing trials and tribulations, now with Lewis in the spotlight. (I've never played a sim with the Hates children trait.)

This is most definitely not a challenge for the math-challenged... *feels a little anxious

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
@FrancescaFiori, I think I made Ojo sound confused because he always looks confused. I'm not sure I'd want him as a doctor, though, and definitely not as a surgeon.

@NexttoNormal, the first chapter about Lewis should be coming up soon!

@oshizu, There's really not that much math involved. I keep a notebook handy, and every time my Sims do something that is worth a point, I write it down. On one side, I write the point value and on the other side, I keep a running tally.  If you're doing a legacy, you're already familiar with keeping track of points, so it's not that different.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
Chapter 10 -- Transition to Lewis

"I want to be alone."
(Lewis, that's not going to happen. You're a dynasty heir. I'm the Watcher for your dynasty. You're also the current star of a long-running story. Dozens of people want to know everything about you. For example, they're probably interested to hear that your favorite movie is the one about zombies.)
"And I don't care what they want to know."
(But--)
"Can you just shut up? This is the best part coming up and you're interrupting."
(Sigh. Sorry. I'll just tiptoe away...)

Because Lewis has the dance machine trait, he can take a disco nap and gain almost as much energy as from an entire night's sleep.
"I can still hear you, Watcher."

Lewis went to the park to look for crystals, but none of the dig sites --
"Watcher! I'm trying to concentrate on my shots."

(Look, I have to do some basic narration. Why don't you go play on the water slide while I finish up?)
"Okay, I guess I can live with that."

As I was saying, none of the dig sites had spawned. And even though he spent several hours at the park, they still weren't showing up. He finally found his tenth crystal in Newcrest.

After putting together his crystal collection, Lewis went on a date with Hazel, who is good and a bookworm and also a glutton.
"Watcher! you are not going to narrate or otherwise involve yourself in my date with Hazel, do you understand?"
(Mum's the word.)
"Um, Hazel, I think you're really special."
"I think you're special, too, Lewis."

"So special that I just have to --"
(Don't you think you should warn her about being in a dynasty -- and having the "hates children" trait -- before you start getting romantic?)
"WATCHER! A little privacy, please?"
(Just saying. And I might point out that you're the one indulging in public displays of affection in, well, a public place.)

"Hazel, I want you to have this rose. But before you take it, I feel compelled to tell you that there are some thorns attached. I'm the heir in a dynasty. I hate children, so we'll probably have only one. If you're not okay with that, let me know now."
"Is this the dynasty where I die, but you keep on living?"
"No."
"Or the one where someone from a rival family could come over and beat up you or our child just because you're rivals?"
"No, this is different. This is the one where you can do whatever you want to most of the time."
"Then I'll take that rose, thank you."

"So, will you take this ring with my heart attached?"
(Aww, you learned that line from your father. And before you yell at me, somebody's got to react, and those people at the table are totally oblivious.)

"YES! Yes, I'll marry you. When can I get away from my two sisters and move in?"
"Uh, actually, I'll be moving in with you. It's one of the dynasty rules."

"You didn't tell me that."
"Are your sisters really that bad?"
"Well, Norah's okay -- she's creative, and a foodie who loves the outdoors. But Amber is a slob and hot-headed, and a goofball. She's always smashing Uncle Manuel's dollhouse."
(Aren't you going to tell her that you smash dollhouses, too?)
"No. We'll get rid of the dollhouse."
"But Uncle Manuel loves playing with it."
"Well, he can lock his door then, so no one else can get in. Look, I've got to go finish a few paintings, and then we can get married. Okay?"
"K."

As Lewis and Hazel exchanged their vows, they were so engrossed in each other...

...that they didn't even notice the other people around them.
(Can you tell me why you decided upon the foyer of Chez Llama as your wedding venue?)
"Because I couldn't stand the idea of a wedding party, but I knew Hazel wouldn't want to be wearing her everyday clothes in her wedding pictures. Even though I'm a loner, I do have some consideration for others."

Lewis's Stats upon Moving in
Portraits: 6, worth $649
Collection: crystals, worth $350
Satisfaction Points: 300
Skill: dancing, 1
Job: Science, 2
Aspiration: The Curator
Household Income: $21,824

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Awww, that foyer wedding was both considerate and brilliant. Lewis is already good at subtly and gently manipulating the people around him.

Though I think the Watcher will not be quite as sentimental when it comes time to bid him farewell. He's got a bit of  'tude, doesn't he? :)

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 2
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
Egads, Lewis! Stop being so hostile!
On the other hand, I salute your good taste in proposing to Hazel.

I'm so curious to see how Lewis gets accustomed to the idea of living with his new household, becoming a husband, and becoming a father.
Good luck, Watcher! It would seem you'll need it, hehe.
Great update!

P.S. Thanks for sharing how you keep score in the "Tips" thread!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Loving Lewis so far. His antagonistic tendencies add so much to his character. Looking forward to seeing how he handles parenthood.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
Chapter 11 -- The First 10 Points and Free Day

A compact has been agreed upon by Lewis Zest and the Watcher, to wit:

Lewis will not sabotage the Zest Family Dynasty.
Lewis will allow the Watcher to narrate and record events as the Watcher sees fit.
Lewis will speak courteously to the Watcher.

In return, the Watcher agrees to refrain from giving Lewis the Grilled Cheese aspiration and from giving his lot the Cursed lot trait.

"You might have told me I'd be doing all the cooking from now on."
(And if you'd paid attention, you'd have noticed that your father did much of the cooking for your family.)
"I always thought that was because he enjoyed cooking."
(And you might come to enjoy cooking, too. Cooking, cleaning, and repairing, although I provided you with the Gnomes lot trait, so you might not have to repair things too often.)

"Now this is something I'll never learn to enjoy."
(I can understand that. But if you wait for someone else to clean, you might find that it's broken, too.)
"Ugh."

"Watcher, I love Hazel, I really do, but watching her eat, or should I say, devour a fish taco..."
(It does destroy the mood a bit. I'll try to get you on a different eating schedule.)

"I thought you said fish tacos had 0 calories. How did she get so fat in so short a time?"
(It's not fat. It's a baby.)

As he left for work, Lewis noticed Manuel playing with the dollhouse.
"Watcher, I keep getting this insane urge to stomp on that dollhouse. I don't understand -- Manuel's not a child, why would I want to break his dollhouse?"
(Who can explain the strange compulsions that Sims get? Just keep walking. Once you get to work you won't be tempted anymore.)

At work, Lewis discovered a couple of elements while practicing analysis, which helped him finish the third milestone of his aspiration. And soon he was promoted to level 3 of the Science career.

Meanwhile...
"Now that Amber's destroyed the dollhouse, I'm not obsessing about it."
(You could make Manuel very happy by fixing it for him.)
"Yeah, but then I'd keep wanting to break it again."

The Zest-Houser family occasionally congregates in the living-room, some to watch television, others to block their view. From left to right, that's Hazel, Manuel, Lewis, Katlin, Norah, and Amber.

Manuel had received his second notice that day, but his older sister Katlin was the first to go. Because she'd been so fit and active as a gym trainer, she'd lived quite a bit longer than the norm for elder Sims.

Grim had a word of advice for Lewis, "and for that gal in the purple skivvies behind you. There's a special place in my realm for people who destroy dollhouses."
Lewis gulped. "I never..."
"You were thinking about it," said Grim.

Manuel died the next morning. He'd been a gentle, childish soul who spent much of his time at the hospital being examined for various ailments. Ojo knew him well.

After doing some digging, Lewis had the metal and crystal he needed to make a Sim Ray. He's developing a relationship with the Invention Constructor, too.

(Some things never get old.)
"Watcher, this is the first time I've frozen someone with the Sim Ray."
(First time for you, maybe tenth time for me. Like I said, it never gets old.)
Unfortunately, the Watcher forgot about the fire-setting propensity of the Sim Ray and told Lewis to see if he could make something out of the rubble of the dollhouse. The result was -2 points for a fire.
"Which wasn't my fault."
(I agree, Lewis. Now, can we move on?)

Despite dancing to pop music and never eating carrots, Hazel gave birth to a bouncing baby boy, Houser Zest. The good news is that Elsa Bjergsen's third child was a girl.

"Look, no matter what anyone says, I don't hate you. I just felt kind of tense about the idea of having you. And now that you're here, I think we might actually become good friends."
(I'm not seeing any angry or tense moodlets. It could be that you're fine with babies; it's just children you don't like.)
"And toddlers. I've got a feeling I could really dislike toddlers."
(You and EA both.)

(Lewis, are you torturing that child by making him wait for the toilet?)
"No, I'm showing him which screwdriver to use. It's important that he learns this stuff before moving into a house where there aren't any helpful gnomes. Speaking of which, why didn't the gnomes take care of this?"
(Beats me. Maybe they only show up once a week. Why don't you let Houser run along and play?)
"Sure. Dynasty lesson over for the day, kid. And Watcher, guess what? Apparently I don't hate children that are my own. Or maybe I don't hate ones that I'm good friends with. Anyway, no angry moodlets when Houser's around -- isn't that great?"

(Hey, little fellow. Are you doing okay?)
"Yeah. I'm just feeling kind of sad about Grandmother Katlin."
(But you never even met...oh, you've got the gloomy trait, don't you.)
"Sigh, yes I do. Anyway, my dad's going to come and play with me as soon as he finishes his game with Aunt Norah."

(Lewis! Norah will never become good friends with you if she catches you cheating. And what kind of example is that to set for your son?)

"Help! Help! Monster under the bed! Wake up, everyone!"
"Grumble, grumble...we put the anti-monster light in his bedroom, but does he sleep in there, no. No one in this house sleeps where they are supposed to. Grumble, grumble."
(Oh quit grousing. We'll get an anti-monster light for this room, too, and once you've finished spraying, you can take a disco nap.)

The days flew by until the Watcher realized that it had been 10 days since Ojo became an elder.

"I can't believe this is the first time we've been together since I got married. Did I tell you that Hazel and I had the ceremony in the foyer here? How are you guys doing?"
"Your dad's still waiting for someone to show up to have a baby delivered. Why didn't you bring Hazel when she was due?"
"Um, the Watcher couldn't manage it. Say, why don't we go over to the house and you can meet little Houser?"

"Son, I just want you to know that I'm proud of all you've done. A level 4 Scientist already -- that's great. And Houser looks healthy and Hazel looks happy...Is there any way you can get that sister of hers to stop prancing around in her underwear? I'm surprised Hazel hasn't said something."
"Not to worry, Dad. Our first free day, Amber is going to get a job -- Norah and Hazel, too. They'll have to dress in street clothes then."

From the house, they went over to the museum.
"Oh, look," said Olivia. "There's my mom and dad. You should go introduce yourself, Lewis. You never did get a chance to know your grandparents."

"Sure thing, Mom," said Lewis.
"You know, it's all starting to make sense," said Ojo. "I think I see the light."

"Alice, Eric, no call for you to cry," said Grim. "I'd have thought you'd be happy to have Ojo join you."
"We are," sobbed Alice, "but we're sad for Olivia and Lewis, too."
"And just where is my grandson?" asked Eric.
"He went to meet you guys," said Grim. "Don't bother him -- he's got enough on his plate already without adding grief to it."

(Good-bye Ojo. You were a great first heir, and did the dynasty proud. Lewis will make sure your tombstone gets placed in the cemetery.)
(And Olivia? Will he make sure she joins me?)
(He'll try. I'll see to it that he invites her over every evening. But you know how hard it is to manage something like that.)
(I know. 'Bye, Watcher, it's been real.)

Lewis picked up 12 points: 4 from satisfaction points, 2 from promotions, 2 from dancing skill, and 4 from becoming good friends with Houser, Molly Edmondson, Kaydence Guinn, and Olivia Zest. He had to get 12 points to offset the -2 from a fire, which was the Watcher's fault.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 4
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »
Has Olivia outlived Ojo due to the active trait plus three pregnancies? I ask because when I played the Renaissance Sim challenge, she was still a child after Alexander and several other kids became teens. It seemed to me that her age was off because she didn't grow up until my Sim moved in with them.

Lewis seems to be adjusting well. Did you choose active careers for him and Ojo to give yourself a break from the large families?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
Actually, Olivia was pregnant only twice, but I think the two pregnancies and being active mean that she'll live a bit longer. Katlin, Hazel's mother, became an elder around the same time her triplets became teens, and she was another active Sim with level 10 fitness. I haven't looked at Olivia and Alexander to compare, but I know Malcolm Landgraab has fewer days to go as a teen than Cassandra Goth does at the beginning.

Yes, it seemed to me that the active careers might be easier to work with, partly because you don't have to worry about the family at home, and partly because that means they can get a little time to work on making friends and skilling up when they've finished their work tasks for the day.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Chapter 12 -- The Second 10 Points and Free Day

"Amber got a job. Norah got a job. Hazel got a job. Houser did his homework. Amber got a job..."
(Hey, you look pretty happy.)
"I'm a dancing fool. Amber got a job and she's even been promoted. Hazel's been promoted. Norah's been promoted. Houser got a B. I made a couple of good friends at work, and as soon as I finish this dance, I'll be ready for a free day. I'm so happy, I could hug someone."

"Even my son."
(I've got to say, that's the most awkward-looking hug I've ever seen. Does everyone hug their kid like that and I just never noticed?)
"I think it's just me. I love Houser, and I really don't get any negative moodlets around him, but I think that when it comes to a hug, my nerves just scream 'child! ack! child!'"

(Well, tell your nerves to calm down. Since you have a free day, you can spend the morning watching kids' shows with your family.)
"Uh, Watcher, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather just stare into the corner -- at least while those children who aren't my son are zooming around."

Hazel wasn't feeling well -- she was feeling feverish, and not in a good way -- so Lewis gave her a dose of the snake oil serum he'd whipped up at work.
(Good thing that happened on a free day. It must have been tainted.)
"Watcher, did you realize that might happen?"
(Actually, I'd forgotten that the snake oil serum could have that effect.)
"Are there any other pitfalls in the Science career you haven't warned me about?"
(Well, you won't want to set the satellite dish to "Bladder Failure" when you get it. But other than that, I can't think of anything.)

Lewis took his new friend Genji Nakamura to the park to work on their friendship. While he was there, some of his co-workers showed up. Apparently they're all members of a cosplay club. He soon discovered that his good friend Masami Sujita is a kleptomaniac, so she's definitely being dropped from his list of  party guests.
"I'm not throwing any parties anyway. And I'd like to go home now -- too many strangers around."
(You're friends with Masami and Genji, and you work with that guy whose name I can't remember. What strangers are you talking about?)
"The guy in the Darth Vader costume? I have no idea who he is."

(Then I have some bad news for you. As soon as Houser finishes his homework, you're all going to go to the flea market. And it looks like he just solved his last story problem.)

Some more bad news -- Olivia died soon after Ojo, so Lewis missed getting her tombstone into the cemetery. Hazel was still feeling under the weather, so she went home to take a nap.

"I could use a nap too."
(Even though there are strangers around?)
"Snore."

While Lewis slept, Houser and Amber shot some hoops.

He and his Aunt Johanna experimented with lumpia, which fortunately is not very spicy.

Lewis woke up from his nap and tried selling some of the flowers he'd been carrying around from work.
"Flowers for sale," he whispered. "Flowers for sale."
(You won't get any buyers if you whisper.)
"I know. Great way to keep the strangers away, huh?"

Lewis wrapped up his street sale quickly and picked up a lumpia to eat. "These are pretty good," he said. "I might make them at home." But soon the crowds began to get to him, and he started growing tense.

"Much, much better," he said, when he was alone in the hot tub. "There's nothing better than this."
(You're still a little low on fun, and you've an hour left of your free day. Why don't I send Hazel down to join you?)

"Okay, but no pictures. What's that, Hazel? Do I want to...in the hot tub? But what if...oh, Houser's still sound asleep. But what about...oh, they're asleep, too..."
(And on that note, we'll give Hazel and Lewis some privacy.)

Lewis scored 10 points -- 4 from dancing and maxing the skill, 2 from becoming good friends with Norah Houser and Masami Sujita, 3 from Amber, Norah, and Hazel getting promoted to level 2 of entertainer, culinary, and social media careers, and 1 from Houser's B.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 5
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »
You really make this challenge look easy, but I'm sure there's a lot of planning and thinking going on invisibly in the background.

Are you trying to gather the tombstones of the heirs and their spouses for sentimental reasons?
Being present at the deaths of sims living elsewhere seems quite tricky. But you hope to meet the ghosts by possessing their tombstones?
(Sorry for the dumb question; I never play with ghosts so I don't know...)

Lewis seems rather well-behaved lately--his Watcher handles him quite well. I'm glad he likes being around his son.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 5
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
@oshizu, Some points can be gained more quickly than others. My planning has consisted mainly of deciding which aspiration will go with which skills and job. And yes, I'm trying to get tombstones of family members to put in the cemetery at the Museum. It's not a requirement, though, because it's hard to make sure the heir is on hand for the death.

Chapter 13 -- The Third 10 Points and Free Day

(Either I'm getting good at this or you're very competent. Only three days between free days. Lewis, you are killing this.)

(Ooh, unfortunate choice of words.)
"I didn't really know her well, Watcher. In fact, I can't even remember her name. Even so, I'm going to be compelled to go and mourn by her grave every moment I get."

"I usually don't get music when I open these crackers."
(You're getting the music because that's the last plushie you need for a complete collection.)
"Oh. Woot!"

And here are all the plushies. Lewis spent only several thousand dollars on holiday crackers to get them all.

"The toe bone's connected to the foot bone. The foot bone's connected to the ankle..."
"Dad, please, we call them meta-tarsals."
"Oh. You're working on your extra-credit homework?"
"Yes. Now stop confusing me."

It's Norah's birthday today, and also Amber's. They've both been promoted as well.

Norah is learning mixology to help with her next promotion.

Since it's a free day, she also helps out by making dinner.

Hazel got promoted, too, and is now updating her social media profile. "Maybe if I describe what Lewis and I did in the hot tub, I'll get more followers."

Before going to bed, she and Norah had a dance battle.

No one was officially declared a winner, but since Hazel hit herself in the eye several times during the routine, Norah seems to have done better.

Lewis picked up 10 points quite quickly this time: 2 from completing The Curator aspiration; 2 from getting 2000 more Satisfaction points; 2 from gaining two levels in mixology; and 1 each from his promotion, Norah's, Amber's and Hazel's. He missed getting a point for Houser's A because Houser got it on a free day.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 7
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »
Wow! Nice work, Lewis!  I love the collection of plushies. Adorable!

I do think "hit self in face fewest times" is a very reasonable determine the winner of a dance contest. :)