Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99101 times)

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 29)
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
Ahhh...what a great ending. This is getting so juicy. Poor Cassandra indeed. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »
Oh, Al and Bal! They're so sweet. They have feels for each other! Is it just me or is the dark aura around Balthazar's pictures getting just a teeny bit brighter? Maybe? Maybe there's hope?

I love them in their matching bowling shirts. And the karaoke was precious, too. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that they can find a way to make it work.

Olivia Kim-Lewis's dark form is truly terrifying! I think she's tied with the vampire-clown for the scariest one yet!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
There's going to be a few twists and turns, other than that I won't say. Thanks for reading, everyone!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
Chapter 27 -- Star-Crossed

The next day was probably the longest in history at Will Wright Consolidated High School. It was like all our teachers conspired to talk as slowly as possible about the most boring subjects.

At last I made it over to the Goths'. I still didn't know what I was going to say to Cassandra, and it didn't help that the entire family was gathered in her room.

Al caught my eye and glanced upstairs. Oh well, I thought, if I can't talk to Cassandra before going to work, at least I can make out with him for a bit. Except that his father followed us.
"I must say, Balthazar, it's great that we're getting a chance to know you before the wedding. You should come over for dinner sometime. Neither Bella nor I cook much, but..."
"It's okay," I said. "I can't eat regular food."
"Oh, that's right," he said, nodding sagaciously. Al rescued me by taking his father downstairs, and presently Cassandra came up.

I still didn't know what to say to her.
"Look, I understand," she said, before I could open my mouth. "It's perfectly normal to have a crush on someone you've fed from, especially if you're a fledgling. I thought I could avoid it by picking the oldest ugliest woman I could find, but I spent a week obsessing about her afterwards. I can't imagine what it would be like if it had been someone I was close to. Don't worry, in a week or two you and Alex will be back to being buddies again, and it will all be like it never happened."
She left the room, and I just sat on the bed for a moment, a little dazed, until I remembered that I had to go to work.

I got my promotion at work, which meant I could quit the job. Thinking over what Cassandra had said, I didn't know if I was amused or angry. It seemed to me that her tone had been patronizing, and I was pretty sure that I wouldn't get over Al in a week or two, but at least she wasn't upset. I finished taking care of the plasma fruit trees and then when to meet Al.

I gave him the biggest, longest kiss I could manage "Wow," he whispered. "That was -- wow." Neither of us could stay long, but we agreed to meet Saturday at the bowling alley.

The next night I had to give some vampire instruction to Danica. We finished with a sparring match, which I won.

I went to see Nadia afterwards. When she gave me a big hug, I whispered "I'm in love," in her ear.

Malcolm was practicing his bat moves, so she pulled me to the other side of the room, to give him a clearer field.

"It's Alexander Goth," I said in her ear.
"But --" she started to object.
"I know. Father won't like it. But I love him and he loves me, and nothing can change that."
"We'll talk later," Nadia promised. "I have to get this little monster to bed."
I lifted Argus out of his high chair and set him down. For such a small fellow, he was surprisingly heavy. She hugged me again, and I went home.

Saturday afternoon our new bowling club had its first meeting. We were the Bowlos (Danica's father is in law enforcement, and a BOLO is a police term, like an All Points Bulletin). Al commented on the fact that he was the only non-vampire in our club. "I guess you'll have to turn me, huh?" he joked.

We played our usual game. In other words, we were the worst ones there.

I was a bit dazed after my fall, so I sat down for a while.

Caleb Vatore came and sat next to me. "I understand you're working on the Good Vampire aspiration," he said. "Want any help?" He gave me some training that was a little different from Father's and said I could come and get his help any time. I'll probably take him up on that.

When I finished, I looked over and saw Al chatting with Danica. They weren't flirting or anything but even so, it made me uneasy.

And of course, Danica bowled a strike. I was already feeling down when Nadia showed up.

"We have to talk," she said. "Why didn't you tell me bats had super-good hearing?"
"What?" I said. "What do bats have to do with anything?"
"Malcolm overheard everything you said because he was in his bat form," said Nadia. "I didn't know he could do that -- you're the one who's been a bat. Anyway, he's been threatening to tell Father if you don't break up with Alexander immediately."

"It's none of his business!" I exclaimed. Nadia motioned me to keep my voice down. "He thinks it is," she said. "He thinks you'll make it impossible to lift the curse, and that'll affect our children as well as yours. And there's more. He doesn't want you coming over to the house any more. He doesn't want you influencing the children."

I was stunned, unable to say anything. "I talked him out of going to Father immediately, which was what he originally wanted to do, said Nadia. "And don't worry, I'll make sure you still get to see your nephews."
"But why --?"
"Because he's prejudiced," she said. "And because he's jealous of you and Gretchen, and he thinks this will get him closer to Father. But I do think you should talk to Father before Malcolm gets to him."
"I've already talked to Cassandra, and she's not upset," I said. "Why would Father be?"
"Cassandra's a woman of the 21st century," said Nadia. "Father formed his opinions in Central Europe around 1750. I don't think it was a time and place noted for tolerance." She gave me a peck on the cheek. "I've got to go. Love you."

Our club meeting ended, and Al came over to say good-bye. "Are you okay?" he asked. "Do you need a kiss?"
I stopped him before he could go further. "We shouldn't kiss in a public place," I said. "There's no telling who's watching. Let's go outside."

Outside, looking up at the stars, I told him what I'd learned from Nadia. "And Cassandra thinks it's just a reaction to my drinking your plasma," I added. "She says we'll get over it in a few days."

"Does this mean it's over?" he asked. He looked so hurt and bewildered that I wanted to cry.
"I don't know," I said. "Maybe we can get back together when we're adults."
I went home and took a long shower. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. What right did anyone have to interfere with us? I called Al and told him to meet me in Newcrest.

"Nobody is going to break us up," I said, hugging him fiercely.

"I love you, and I'll always love you, and I don't care what anyone says," I added.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 30)
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2017, 01:54:49 AM »
Oh, Bal. You really know how to tug at my heartstrings! I'm so glad he made the decision to stand up for himself and go after what he wants, rather than what his family expects him to do.

Malcolm was predictably evil, but I suppose I should have expected that. It is a good point that Vlad's very likely mired in very, very old social conventions and attitudes. At least Nadia seems to have his back, and I'm grateful.

I'm pulling for you, too, Bal!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
Well, of course Malcolm would be jealous of Gretchen;  she's awesome. 
Al and Bal:  star-crossed lovers.  Of course, now it's poor Cassandra whether she's the bride or not. 
As wrong as it may sound, I rather like that the evil side of Malcolm is showing up.  It just seemed a bit too easy for Nadia with her notoriously evil fella, so I like how you saved the surprise of him being quite so evil.  He's evil in a devious way.  It's pretty cool!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
@FrancescaFiori. Vlad could surprise us, but I doubt that he's going to be happy when he learns who Bal's in love with, whether it affects the dynasty or not.

@PeregrineTook, Yes, I was happy too for Malcolm to get the opportunity to be evil. As a player, I was glad to see him helping out with the twins, but as a story-teller, it was disappointing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
Chapter 28 -- Too Much Excitement

"I've got some news," Balthazar whispered to me when I took Agatha and Rudolfo to see their grandfather. He couldn't say anymore because Father wanted to give him some training while he was there. And we couldn't stay long. You never can stay long when toddlers are involved.

The next day I was able to get out of the house and go for a short run. I still can't get over how beautiful Windenburg Estates is. Once the little ones go to school, I'm going to get out and explore every inch of this town.

I came home to discover Agatha playing with my favorite frying pan. I took it away from her before she could hurt herself (or the pan).

This prompted a tantrum -- screams, foot-stomping, the whole nine yards. She was soon whisked into bed.

Usually Rudolfo is the fussy one, but that day he was quite content to play Superman on the couch. "Superman in plane!" he told Marcus.

He added to the story later when Marcus put him to bed. Marcus was feeling kind of tired himself, suffering from a case of gas and giggles, judging by the tiger stripes. Luckily, he didn't pass it along to the children.

The next day Rudolfo surprised me by actually reading a book! At least he said he was reading. And he's probably listened to Rex Treks often enough to know it by heart.

The job that Eva got was in the athletic career, along with Paolo. I wasn't pleased about that, but I don't think I need to worry. Paolo was amused rather than solicitous when she passed out as soon as they got home from work. "I told her the work wasn't easy," he said.

Nadia came over the day after that, ostensibly to see her niece and nephew. But I think really she wanted to tell me about Balthazar. "Did he tell you who he's in love with?" she asked.
"There wasn't time," I said. "Father was there, too. He didn't even say he was in love."
"Well, it's Alexander Goth," said Nadia.
"But--"
"And Malcolm is upset about it, says he'll tell Father if Balthazar doesn't break it off. But I've got a plan to fix Malcolm's little red wagon so I don't think he'll be able to make trouble. Anyway, could you let Mother know what's going on? I really can't stay long. Geoffrey's home with the children, and he doesn't move fast enough to keep up with them these days."

Mother came over later when I called.

I told Agatha to give her grandmother a hug, and Mother and I both chuckled when she made a beeline for Batstraud.

Rudolfo was ready to be picked up, though. That's about when we heard the fire alarm.

I don't know what Marcus did to start the fire, but it's fortunate that Paolo was so quick with the fire extinguisher.

He then scooped up Rudolfo and joined me and Mother outside.

Eva soon joined us, carrying Agatha. By then the fire was out, thoroughly doused by the sprinkler system, and she told us Marcus was fine, taking a bath to wash the soot off.

We all went inside, laughing and chattering, the way people do when they've had a scare. Suddenly I realized that Rudolfo was missing. He'd just learned how to run so he could have been anywhere, but I found him before he'd gone too far.

Once the children had gone to bed, I told Mother the news. I was worried about Father's reaction, but Mother didn't seem too concerned. "If your Father gets upset, I'll take care of it," she said. "It might be just a teen-aged crush, but if it's not, it'll all work out. You'll see."
I hope Mother has an actual reason for her optimism. She views the world through such rose-colored glasses that it's hard to take her seriously sometimes.

Later, after Eva and Paolo came home from work, I decided that I would make friends with Eva. After all, she saved my baby from what might have been a terrible disaster. And besides, I can't really feel jealous of someone in a llama suit, not even a purple and pink one.

Believe it or not, my little ones are growing up. It won't be long before they're blowing out the candles on their birthday cake.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- April 1)
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2017, 04:26:01 AM »
Eva redeemed herself for sure! Good thing they had the sprinklers installed.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »
Eva was rocking that llama suit!
My sweet Gretchen and darling Agatha continue to be amazing  :=)
I have no doubt that Zoe will be able to handle Vlad if he throws a tantrum about Bal and Al. 

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
I thought it a bit suspicious that Eva joined the athlete career along with Paolo, but Gretchen is right, it's very hard to be jealous of someone in a giant llama costume. :)

So glad to hear Nadia's planning to fix Malcolm's wagon! I look forward to that! Go Nadia!

Loved Agatha's tantrum over the revoked pan, and the ending toddler hug. So cute!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
Chapter 29 -- Hoist with her own Petard

For a while Argus and Andrew were content (mostly) to stay in their own area and let people come upstairs to take care of them.

But as their motor skills became better (and Affluista Mansion was great for developing motor skills), they began exploring more.

Nadia never knew where she might find them.

Nor were they content to stay inside. She gave up trying to keep them confined upstairs, but put potty chairs, beds, and toys on every floor.

"Monster eat house!"Argus proclaimed, and sometimes Nadia wished that something would lop off a wing or a level.

What with her job and trying to keep up with the twins, it seemed like she was always either tired or hungry or both.

One day she decided to start making synthetic food for herself. It was more filling than eggs and toast or garden salad and took less time to make and eat.

Malcolm wasn't happy about her decision. Even though he didn't eat home-cooked meals any more, sticking to plasma packs instead, he had firm ideas about what a wife and mother should do. "But your mother never cooked," protested Nadia. "The one time she tried to make something other than garden salad, she set the stove on fire."

Nadia added gynophobia to Malcolm's list, which by now included xeno- and homophobia. "I'm surprised you were willing to marry someone with red hair," she once joked. Malcolm took the statement seriously. "It's basically the same as blond," he responded. "Pretty much the same DNA."

But vampires -- specifically Nadia's father, Malcolm himself, and little Argus -- were acceptable in Malcolm's eyes. Go figure.

It was time to teach Malcolm a lesson, Nadia thought. She moved in one of her co-workers, Sharon Ricci, who just happened to come from the planet Sixam. Nadia had hoped that Sharon might also help out with the twins, but painting at least brought in some money.

And once Nadia upgraded her SimRay, she could get Sharon to clean as well.

Nadia's hope, though, had been that with Sharon on the lot, the aliens might come and abduct Malcolm. When day after day went by without that happening, she made a satellite dish at work and set it up in the back yard. She gave it the order to contact aliens.

The dish didn't do quite what she'd expected -- 4 or 5 aliens showed up at the house, all at the same time.

They drove Malcolm crazy, which was something at least.

Finally, the aliens abducted someone. Unfortunately, it was Nadia. But sooner or later, the aliens would come for Malcolm. Perhaps if he became pregnant, he would be less critical of her brother and less inclined to make trouble for him. Perhaps.

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- April 4)
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
Aw, but Malcolm is doing his best. Dude's just playing the hand he was dealt, etc. etc. The colors in this last batch of screenshots are really vibrant, especially the orange! Loving this so far, glad I'm all caught up :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
@Tilia, glad you're caught up too! The colors are vibrant because that's how Nadia sees the world -- in bright, mostly happy, colors. But things might tone down a bit for her.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
HAhahahaha!  Loving Nadia's idea of teaching Malcolm a lesson by calling in alien back-up.  Hilarious!
I actually thought the friend from work was Lilith Vatore at first.