Author Topic: Help us with Quest Walkthroughs and Tips  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Help us with Quest Walkthroughs and Tips
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
Ok folks, I throw in the towel as far as writing walkthroughs for all 60 quests. They're just too complex and I don't want to work on this for a year! Even if you take one of the two or three approaches, things will change due to choices you make in the Quest and the walkthrough would then be wrong.

But, I've got a solution for us. On the Quest List I have installed a comments system into every Quest page. So, head to a page like Fountain of Legend and leave a tip for future players. This is the only way we can ever have an exhaustive database of information. Little comments by other players can get people past sticky spots, and our ultimate goal is to help people past those frustrating moments.

I have about 2/3 of the Quests entered into the array that Kai Heilos helped me create. He's awesome for taking the time to build the system for me. The rest of the Quest data should come soon, and I can then link the pages.

I appreciate any of you who take the time to do this. I'll be moderating all comments to ensure no spam makes it through. Comments will be searchable so people can find solutions to their problems this way. If I didn't ask the community to make an effort here, info would trickle in very slowly.

Note that this system wouldn't be a good place to ask a question about a Quest. The idea is to leave tidbits of information to help people who get stuck and come there looking for help.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Help us with Quest Walkthroughs and Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
For the name field in the comments system, should we put our username or real name?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
If you want to be recognized as a forum member, I'd use the forum user name. We got our first comment! Proof of concept :) This is a big relief to me. That was a very daunting project. Now I can focus on other things.

I provided good info on the Fountain of Legend Quest. This is a good example of what we're looking for, but one-liners for getting people through annoying spots are welcome.

This system will even make it easier for me to add tips here and there :)

Chuckles_82

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:20 AM »
Would it be possible to have comprehensive quest guides for the annexing quests and/or the legendary trait quests? They seem to be fairly central quests that might be worth covering? There are some quest guides on gamefaqs, but not many, and not the annexing quests. It would be handy to see what the rewards are for each level of completion, the steps involved, and who is required for the quest. Who is required especially, because it would better enable players to plan what they are doing next if they know which hero they are going to use next. It's nice to know what the last step of a quest is going to be so that you can make the most of your time; eg, the very last step of the Crab Bandit quest is to put the mustache on (that is, when you play the monarch).

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
I think I myself can put some nice descriptions of the Annex quests into the comments system. I'm sure that in the end there will be plenty of information on them after I've done that and others put their two cents in. Those are important, as they'll be linked from the foreign territories page and highly visible. I'll be adding more quests to the array within two or three days, which will finalize it and allow comments for ALL Quests.

Frozenoj

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:08:50 AM »
I think that it would be great if we could have the last quest step for different approaches on the page in some way other than through comments, or at least have a way to make comments about the last step at the top of the page. This is vital information that those trying to get platinum (but don't want to spend too much time dilly-dallying) would need. I know that in my first ambition some of my quests ended sooner than I thought they would which left me in gold. Now on my third I spend a lot of time in the early stages making sure I get to platinum, but it seems like quests drag on for quite a while that way.

Other than that I think the comments is a good idea and method of getting information about the quests in a timely matter and will try and add my own comments this weekend after finals are over.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »
I agree with Fronzenoj. I was trying to get Platinum in a Quest, and BAM! the quest was over when I was about to do nothing but raise focus.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
I definitely agree. But the last step will vary just like the other aspects of the Quest. I'll modify the instructions and ask folks to post something near the end of the Quest (and what approach), otherwise we're still looking at 200 unique bits of data.

Edit: Already 13 comments. At this rate, we'll have most every Quest covered in a couple weeks. Wow! Somebody remind me to do a better job tapping the brilliant minds out there in the future!

Frozenoj

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
When trying to enter some comments I got a message that said "Your last comment was submitted very recently. Please wait a while." How long, exactly, is a while?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
It was a default setting that was at 10 minutes, sheesh. I reduced it to about 10 seconds. That's enough to prevent hardcore flooding :)

LMCali

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »
Carl-

Is there a cheat code for unlocking all items like on other Sims versions? I have been trying to come upon the dwarf dude who supposedly sells the Angel's talon and Doomsword books for DAYS with different characters and in both the villiage AND the forest and NOTHING! My Blacksmith is my favorite hero I just want to get those 2 books so that I can forge these last 2 super swords.

Offline nbklsl3

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
Carl, how would we post general quest tips (not specific to one quest)? Could we have a "general tips" section? And I've seen other comments that might fit better in this catagory, without having to look through every quest.

I'm sure I'm not the first to discover this (I did see something before that alluded to this), but if you have your hero make up a large barley bread (keep lots of barley on hand) and put it in their inventory, they can grab a meal if they are away from home or don't have time to cook something. They get a pretty good buff (2-4 hours), which is better than the flat bread and since it doesn't have eggs in it, like the fine bread, it doesn't spoil as fast.

Just make sure that if your hero has a large, open household, you make it early in the morning or late at night, when fewer folks are around or they'll grab it all before you can get it in your inventory!

Hope this helps! It's saved me a few times when I was 'out in the field'! Linda

velvetsand

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
I've been having problems with some of the new daily tasks. My first one was to sic my parrot on someone and it didn't work the first time. I did it again and completed the responsibility. I have one now that I'm not going to be able to complete. It's called 'Send the Guildsman to the Stocks'. I sent him to the stocks twice and nothing happened. :(