Author Topic: Placed gems disappear from a community lot...  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
Placed gems disappear from a community lot...
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
I'm building a gem collection and decided to make a museum on another lot. I build it and went to place the gems on display cases. As long as I was on the lot, all was well. I sent my sim back home to fetch the last gems, and when I got back to my museum lot, the gems had disappeared. I tried going to map view and back (to see if it's just a graphic glitch) and to edit town and back, but they are gone.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought I could do this simply by dragging & dropping the gems to a building I wanted. Or is this some kind of glitch?

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
Re: Placed gems disappear from a community lot...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »
Well, I have a little expirience with this. I made my own collection on residential lot, and moved out my Sim and change lot into comunity lot- from there you can do with gems whatever you want.
I did tried placing harvestables (fruit) on comunity lot but every time I tried to save it in bin they would dissapear. Only way of keeping them on comunity lot was to place them there and then to kill that Sim (who is only household member and game gives you that "is it a game over" message) - that way everything stay where you put it.

To do this with gems, you can move your Sim on separate lot where you want that museum to be, place all the gems on what you want, evict sim and save lot to the bin, and place it back in original file you want to play with - that way gems should be on the lot and your Sim won't be moving around.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
Well, I have a little expirience with this. I made my own collection on residential lot, and moved out my Sim and change lot into comunity lot- from there you can do with gems whatever you want.
I did tried placing harvestables (fruit) on comunity lot but every time I tried to save it in bin they would dissapear. Only way of keeping them on comunity lot was to place them there and then to kill that Sim (who is only household member and game gives you that "is it a game over" message) - that way everything stay where you put it.

To do this with gems, you can move your Sim on separate lot where you want that museum to be, place all the gems on what you want, evict sim and save lot to the bin, and place it back in original file you want to play with - that way gems should be on the lot and your Sim won't be moving around.

Thanks a lot for your help, Anushka. But, I'm not sure if I understood completely. Or, at least I'm not sure if I understand why the gems "stick" (I mean, stop disappearing when leaving a lot) when the sim that brings them dies?

I've seen a museum lot mentioned in many stories here, I never thought it would be so complicated! Does everyone do it this way? Isn't there another way, that would not include any moving (I have a large family and I don't want to change active household and leave some of them behind). Also the last thing " ...place it back in original file you want to play with" confuses me, did you mean I should create the museum in another save file, save to bin, then copy it to my original game?

My collection is not nearly complete and I was hoping my sims could go and add gems there every now and then. I don't want to store them in my house because they are starting to take a lot of room...

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
Also the last thing " ...place it back in original file you want to play with" confuses me, did you mean I should create the museum in another save file, save to bin, then copy it to my original game?

Yes, I meant that exactly.

As for museum on other lots, not shore where you find it - dynasty museums are always on residential lots. You can't put things from your household inventory on community lots, at least it wasn't possible when Generation came out, not shore after latest patch.
I was able to place things from personal inventory on community lots, including gems and ores.
For some reason game withdraw my Sim belongings once I saved lot to the bin. In your case it returns to your Sim after you leave that lot - you find those gems in inventory, personal or household, or they completely disappear?
Only safe option I know is to place everything you want on empty residential lot your Sim own, move him/her from there and built what you want.

Here is a helpful topic for this issue.

After some testing, I find out that I couldn't place photography on walls of comunity lots, not even if I own that lot.
I was able to put cut gem and ore on the ground and they stayed there after I entered Edit Town and put the wall to try to place that photo. You might be able to add gems and relics if you use cheats or purchase property and build from town view->built on lot.
Once I saved file in bin they were returned in household inventory.

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:23:31 AM »
As for museum on other lots, not shore where you find it - dynasty museums are always on residential lots.

Ah that cleared it up! I somehow missed the part the lot needs to be residential, not community. Thank you for the link! :)