Author Topic: Shingle Style Victorian 40x40 residential lot  (Read 4300 times)

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
    • This is a link to my studio on the exchange where my builds can be downloaded.
Shingle Style Victorian 40x40 residential lot
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »
If you're familiar with my other builds you may have noticed I've been populating Pinochle Point with what I consider classic suburban homes but I always had trouble figuring out what to do with the 40x40 lot at the end of Pinochle Point.

The fact that it straddles the end of the road threw me. I couldn't figure out how to make a lot look decent with the driveway in the center of the lot.

I've also noticed that the Victorian style is a pretty popular choice for builders and when I started considering how I would build one it hit me that this could be the perfect solution for my 2500 Pinochle Point woes.

Before I started building I figured I should try to learn at least a little bit about what makes a Victorian a Victorian and after some googling and perusing I found that "Victorian" covers a range of styles.

This particular build incorporates features from a few of them; most notably Queen Anne and Shingle styles. The Mansard roof section is actually an element common to Second Empire Victorians but as that is the only feature from that style I basically consider this kind of a Shingle style Queen Anne Victorian.

As you'll see in the first screenshot it seems to fit perfectly at the end of Pinochle Point amongst the more modern looking homes I put there as it creates the impression of being the oldest house in the neighborhood so much so it's as if the street was put there just for that house.

As if It's that very house that gave birth to the neighborhood.

It also looks like the kind of house the local kids would tell stories about.

"Don't go near that house."
"Why?'
"Don't you know? It's haunted!" lol

Okay, on with the tour...

You'll notice I've got the walkway to the front door just lined up with the sidewalk on the street as if just a continuation of the sidewalk and the two car wide driveway hooks around to a detached two car garage with a small one bedroom apartment on top.

For testing I moved in the Langerak household and stuck Zelda Mae in the apartment over the garage. Now that freeloader finally has her own place, kind of. lol

Okay, starting from the top down, as usual, Let's look at the attic...

Not much up here. There's a small bathroom and a TV with a video game console and being four stories up even if some one is playing one of those annoyingly loud video games the first floor is far enough away not to hear it to loud.

Between the apartment over the garage and the main house there are a total of seven bathrooms and two kitchens so all plumbing objects have been upgraded to unbreakable and self-cleaning.

Also a couple of fireplaces for no special reason. I would imagine that Victorians probably had a lot of these being their main means of heating the home. This beast sports 10 of them. All upgraded to Auto-Light. Might want to be sure some one in your household has the Fireproof Homestead Lifetime reward before moving in. :)

Next is the third floor...

Another bathroom, two bedrooms and kind of a nursery out in the open there. The whole house is kind of a nursery as I scatter toy boxes, cribs and potty chairs on every floor since toddlers can't do stairs that makes things a little easier.

Between the Apartment over the garage and the main house there are a total of 10 bedrooms. I have no idea why. lol I had to fill the space with something. :)

Next is the second floor...

Here on the second floor we have three more bedrooms and another bathroom.

I usually use the cheapest appliances and furniture to keep costs down but I've noticed that the cheap beds seemed to glitch often. Sims would stomp their feet and complain as if some one was already in the empty bed and I'd have to delete and replace it to get the sim to bed and that was happening to often to be worth it. I've also noticed that the bargain johns had a tendency to overflow even when they were upgraded to unbreakable and self-cleaning.

So in this build I didn't concern myself with cost and used the more expensive furniture and appliances.

Now on to the first floor...

Typically the wraparound porches common to Victorians didn't wrap all the way around the house like this. They usually just wrapped around one corner of the house but I liked the idea of a continuous porch wrapping all the way around so that's what I did.

The kitchen counters bending at 45 degrees like that obviously took some "moveObjects on" magic to pull off. The only caveat to doing that is that if a sim uses one of those overlapping counters to prepare food (making it dirty in the process) then the sim can't clean it later. They just stomp their feet and complain about something being in their way so you have to put some kind of decorative object on those overlapping counters that prevents the sims from using them for food preperation. That way they won't ever have to clean those surfaces.

If you look in the side yard in the left of that screenshot you can just barely make out some plants. There's one of each grapevine variety and one each of Life Fruit, Flame Fruit and Death Flower plants.

And over on the other side between the house and the driveway is one each of Pomegranate, Plum, Pomelo and Cherry trees. This should be enough to help your sim get started filling the Nectar Cellar that I think any Victorian worth it's salt should have and we'll see that next.

Okay so here's four more bedrooms and two more bathrooms for no special reason. ;) And a recreational area with a professional bar where your sim can practice mixology and also the Nectar Cellar I spoke of earlier.

That's it for the main house. Now lets have a quick look at the apartment over the garage.

One Kitchen, one bathroom, one livingroom and one bedroom.

It's small but it is a complete apartment.

Now for the yard...

There's swings and the jungle-gym and you can just make out a pool with some lounge chairs around it. There's also a grill and a picnic table just barely visible behind that tree on the right. And of course, lots of wood for all those fireplaces. :)

Here's a little frog pond that actually has a frog spawner in it. So if Your sims favorite food is frogs legs the recipe can actually be learned by watching the cooking channel on TV and then catch the frogs right there in your own yard. No need to go to France. :)

This is just a view down the driveway at that two car garage we saw the top of earlier.

And that completes the tour of my contribution to the Victorian pool of lots here.

Nuts and bolts time...

10 bedrooms
7 bathrooms
10 fireplaces
2 kitchens
1 detached two car garage
1 swimming pool
1 nectar cellar
1 frog pond

Furnished Price: $279,525
Unfurnished Price $162,507

Comes in two flavors, Haunted and unhaunted.

No extra charge for the Evil, Hot-Headed, Mean Spirited, Insane, Loner of a ghost that'll try to scare away your cowardly sims. ;) teehee

My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
Re: Shingle Style Victorian 40x40 residential lot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
This is a really lovely house. Nicely detailed. Beautifully done :)
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything