Author Topic: Sims 3 and Antivirus  (Read 5092 times)

Frey

Sims 3 and Antivirus
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
I just found out my computer is plagued by every possible virus and malware on earth. It turns out a virus blocked my AVG antivirus, invaded Chrome and then started redirecting me to infected websites, thus infecting me with malware. I'm working on getting rid of the malware using Spybot and Malwarebytes but I clearly need a new antivirus that is actually good for something.

So, my question here is: does anyone use Microsoft Security Essentials? How does it perform in relation to the game? Does it conflict with it somehow?

I hope it is OK to post this here... I'm not asking for help on getting rid of the virus and malwares, just references about Microsoft Security Essentials and the Sims 3... or maybe suggestions for other freeware antivirus that perform well with the game.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Sims 3 and Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:52 AM »
Microsoft Security Essentials has been working fine for me and I've had no trouble playing Sims 3 with it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Frey

Re: Sims 3 and Antivirus
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:13 AM »
Great, thanks judewright!

Hopefully it will work... I'm not looking forward to formating the PC, that's for sure  >:(

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:14 AM »
It works fine for me.  I had problems with McAfee while back and my computer got infected.  Once I was able to finally get McAfee removed from my computer and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, it was fine.  No problems with Sims 3, either.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Frey

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
Thank you Pam! I used Mcafee, Norton and Panda for a while but they slowed down my computer like crazy... that's why I was using AVG, which is lighter. It used to work fine but after getting all the plagues of Egypt together, I don't trust it anymore. I guess all antiviruses are vulnerable to some infections, but this time the virus actually blocked the virus and somehow downloaded a fake antivirus that simulated the real antivirus, acting like it was working (seriously, who creates stupid useless stuff like that!?  >:()... and for my own mental sanity I want to be sure that the same isn't happening while I clean all the mess, even though it should be fine now with Malwarebytes.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
There is a very good, free to download, product called Malwarebytes which I run routinely once a week.  It regularly catches malware items which my antivirus misses.  I'd recommend it.  You do have to download the update each time as to is continually being upgraded.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline DanBrunetu

• The Law Man
  • Townie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Yes, like Wai said, Malwarebytes is very good, also SuperAntispyware or HitmanPro which removes the spyware and all Internet cookie tracks from computer.
As antivirus, I personally use EsetNOD32 - it has great detection-performance balance.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Frey

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Great, thank you both. I ran Malwarebytes yesterday and it found a few stuff. Spybot S&D and Microsoft Security Essentials also found some other things. I've also read about SuperAntispyware, maybe I will download it too later, just to check if it doesn't find anything else. Right now I think the only remaining issue is that the photo icons don't work, and the background is black and I can't change it. I followed some instructions from the Microsoft official website to fix it, and it worked, but now I restarted the computer the problem came back. I'm still going to restart the computer in safe mode and scan it with everything again, just to be sure. A friend recommended I download TDSSkiller to check for rootkits, maybe I will.

Weirdest thing is, I never download anything! I think it must have come from my pendrive, which I take to my university's printing room often. I can't think of anything else.

Anyway, I will try MSE for a while, since I already installed it, and if I get any trouble wiith it I will try EsetNOD32. I did play Sims for a while this morning with no problems though.

Offline SimsFreak26

• Nooboo
    • My Simblr!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:59:13 AM »
I have tried Microsoft Security Essentials and I think it works fine with keeping the nasties out and Sims 3
I also highly recommend Avast antivirus, it's light and I don't have any problems with my gameplay :D

Frey

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
I used to have Avast before I changed to AVG. It worked well and didn't have trouble with the Sims, but about two months after installing I got a message saying the free license was over and I wasn't protected anymore so I had to change it.  I t was a good antivirus though.