Author Topic: A treatise on Interior design  (Read 57237 times)

Offline TollingBells

• Occult
Re: A treatise on Interior design
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »
I think photographs do not affect room quality, at least, not at a low level. I put snapshots from China into the big digital frames, and put them around the house, but the decorated scores did not change.
You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew, what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

-Katy Perry, Fireworks

Vrika

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
I think I cracked part of the moodlet formula:
1. Item with best interior rating is counted twice. If multiple items have same interior rating only one is counted twice
2. the ratings are valued in calculation:
 rating 1 - value 1
 rating 2 - value 2,5
 rating 3 - value 5
 rating 4 - value 6,5
 rating 5 - value 10

Applying these to the numbers Branr posted earlier:

Recommendation: To get the "Decorated" moodlet, one of the following combinations minimum must be placed in a room:

• a 5: 2 * 10 = 20 (rating 5 gets value of 10, and it's counted twice because it's the best item)
  • two 4's and a 1: 3 * 6,5 + 1 * 1 = 20,5 (rating 4 gets value of 6,5. One of those is counted twice because it's best item, thus 3 * 6,5)
  • three 3's: 4 * 5 = 20
  • a 4 and three 2's: 2 * 6,5 + 3 * 2,5 = 20,5
  • two 3's and two 2's: 3 * 5 + 2 * 2,5 = 20
  • a 3 and four 2's: 2 * 5 + 4 * 2,5 = 20
  • a 3, three 2's and three 1's: 2 * 5 + 3 * 2,5 + 3 * 1 = 20
  • seven 2's: 8 * 2,5 = 20
  • a 2 and fifteen 1's: 2 * 2,5 + 15 * 1 = 20

I'm not sure of how the game values env ratings higher than 5 in calculations. I'd need to do quite a lot of testing to figure out and won't have time today.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
This is interesting stuff! Thanks, Vrika, I'm sure everyone on the Guide will appreciate it. :)
'They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you' - Larkin

Offline InfinitySquared

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Bumping this topic to add new info.

First of all, it seems that the moodlets are not strictly based on Environment score. To test this, put a sim in an empty room and put up a "McBob Landscape #47" painting. The sim should have no Decorated moodlet. However, if you delete that painting and put up a "Still Life Harvest", the Sim will gain the "Decorated" moodlet. The more expensive painting gives the moodlet; the less expensive painting does not. Both paintings are marked "Environment 6".

Regarding Sim-made paintings:
Environment score of a sim-made painting is based on the appreciated value of the painting. So if your Sim paints a single painting that's worth $2 and then dies, raising the value of the painting to near a thousand, the painting will be about as valuable as something you might get from a living sim with 10 Painting skill. It will also have a similar effect on environment.

Brilliant and Masterpiece ratings do not seem to affect the Environment scores you get from paintings, though they do affect it indirectly by raising the value of the painting.

I'm off to do some more experimenting, maybe discover a price/Environment score formula.

ETA:

Environment score value of Sim-made paintings seems to have a cap per painting.
Small paintings cap at $300, Medium at $400, Large at $700. Above those values, further value isn't going to add anything to the environment, so a Small painting worth $301 and one worth $10,000 would have the same environment value. Even the cheapest paintings all eventually gave a "Decorated" moodlet, once there were enough of them; so paintings below that value are not worthless.

I tried to get the formula for this, but I kept getting things that didn't compute, and I can't think of anything but trial-and-error to solve it. Perhaps someone else can do the math. But here's what you get when you use Small paintings worth $300+, Medium paintings worth $400+, and Large paintings worth $700+:
To get the "Beautifully Decorated" Moodlet, you must have one of the following combinations of paintings (or more):
Large Med   Small
6     0     0
5     1     0
5     0     1
4     2     0
4     1     3
4     0     7
3     4     0
3     3     2
3     2     5
3     1     9
3     0     14
2     6     0
2     5     1
2     4     4
2     3     7
2     2     11
2     1     16
2     0     22
1     8     0
1     7     1
1     6     4
1     5     7
1     4     10
1     3     14
1     2     19
1     1     25
1     0     32
0     10     0
0     9     2
0     8     5
0     7     8
0     6     11
0     5     14
0     4     17
0     3     22
0     2     28
0     1     35
0     0     43

The "Nicely Decorated" moodlet:
Large Med   Small
2     0     0
1     1     0
1     0     3
0     3     0
0     2     1
0     1     6
0     0     14

The "Decorated" moodlet:
1 Large OR 1 Medium OR 3 Small

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
You guys are geniuses.  Me, I just add Sim painted pictures, (he usually paints brilliant or masterpieces), my iconic vase for starters which I often recolor, and definitely add incense.  My Sims are so funny because they enter a room, get a beautifully decorated moodlet, sniff and show appreciation for the incense which then gives them the moodlet for that!  I like contented Sims.  I guess my "forumla" is, if I like it so will they and so far that works for me.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline InfinitySquared

• Nooboo
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
'Course it does; it's common sense that more and nicer paintings work, right? For the most part, I'm just doing this because I like to figure out the mechanics behind a game. It's almost like doing experiments in the lab, only without ever having to dissect anything.  :P

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
You guys are geniuses.  Me, I just add Sim painted pictures, (he usually paints brilliant or masterpieces), my iconic vase for starters which I often recolor, and definitely add incense.  My Sims are so funny because they enter a room, get a beautifully decorated moodlet, sniff and show appreciation for the incense which then gives them the moodlet for that!  I like contented Sims.  I guess my "forumla" is, if I like it so will they and so far that works for me.

Joria, those vases are incredible!  I just love that for only a couple of simoleons my Sims can have the beautifully decorated moodlet in any room in the house.  The vases are so cheap, I hardly ever bother with any other decorative objects, at least when a Sim is just starting out.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
Schip do you also use the ghost mirror?  $1 and your bathroom is complete!  Another cheapy is to use the free wood floor to make a patio and then recolor it with brick or tile so you have a more realistic "paved" patio or path.  Add some $1 hydrangeas and voila, instant gorgeous landscaping.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
Schip do you also use the ghost mirror?  $1 and your bathroom is complete!  Another cheapy is to use the free wood floor to make a patio and then recolor it with brick or tile so you have a more realistic "paved" patio or path.  Add some $1 hydrangeas and voila, instant gorgeous landscaping.

My Sims mostly do without mirrors (poor deprived Sims)!  But if I feel unusually generous, they do occasionally get the ghost mirror.  Only if they insist on it (if I'm playing a Snobby Sim).  Oh yes, I love my cheapie decorating.  I still remember the Sim I played who started out living in a tent, with no possessions at all, and wound up owning all the local businesses.  He was incredibly rich and had a big house with one chair at a table in the living/dining room.  That one chair was what he used to eat, watch television, work on the computer, everything.  Well, after all, he was a single Sim, so what did he need more furniture for anyway, right?  I think it's called minimalist decorating.  Or maybe it would be more accurate to call it being a lazy decorator.   ::)

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline drift9999

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
Looking at the EnvironmentScore XML file in GameplayData.package, I managed to draw a few conclusions. See the code below:

Code: [Select]
    <kOutdoorEnvironmentRange value="10">
      <!--Range: Positive floats.  Description:  When outdoors, this value is the distance in tiles from the Sim at which environment objects are included in the area of effect calculation.-->
    </kOutdoorEnvironmentRange>
    <kBrokenPenalty value="-10" />
    <kPenaltyPerPuddleInRoom value="-8">
      <!--Score decrement per puddle in the Sim's current room.-->
    </kPenaltyPerPuddleInRoom>
    <kCharredPenalty value="-10" />
    <kTilePartsOfSmallRoom value="5">
      <!--Range:  Tile parts.  Description:  Square root of the room size that is counted as the smallest room for purposes of contributions.-->
    </kTilePartsOfSmallRoom>
    <kTilePartsOfLargeRoom value="15">
      <!--Range:  Tile parts.  Description:  Square root of the room size that is counted as the largest room for purposes of contributions.-->
    </kTilePartsOfLargeRoom>
    <kContributionPercentageSmallRoom value="1">
      <!--Range:  Float under 1.0f.  Description:  Contribution percentage of the best object in the smallest room.-->
    </kContributionPercentageSmallRoom>
    <kContributionPercentageLargeRoom value=".6">
      <!--Range:  Float under 1.0f.  Description:  Contribution percentage of the best object in the largest room.-->
    </kContributionPercentageLargeRoom>
    <kContributionPercentageOutside value="1">
      <!--Range:  Float under 1.0f.  Description:  Contribution percentage of the best object while outside.-->
    </kContributionPercentageOutside>
    <kNumberOfObjectsSmallRoom value="5">
      <!--Range:  Number of objects.  Description:  Number of objects in a room before the lowest contributing one would contribute minimally in the smallest room.-->
    </kNumberOfObjectsSmallRoom>
    <kNumberOfObjectsLargeRoom value="15">
      <!--Range:  Number of objects.  Description:  Number of objects in a room before the lowest contributing one would contribute minimally in the largest room.-->
    </kNumberOfObjectsLargeRoom>
    <kNumberOfObjectsOutside value="10">
      <!--Range:  Number of objects.  Description:  Number of objects in a room before the lowest contributing one would contribute minimally in the outside.-->
    </kNumberOfObjectsOutside>
    <kMinimumContributionPercentage value="0.2">
      <!--Range:  Percentage under 1.0f.  Description:  Minimum percent that any object can ever contribute of its full score.-->
    </kMinimumContributionPercentage>

The code is consistent with Branr's Puck's Soliloquy finding (when outdoors, if more than 10 tiles away or 7-diagonal it doesn't count) - however it's true outdoors only. I tested a 25 x 1 closed box with a Puck's Soliloquy at the other end of the box and this still triggers the moodlet. It seems that in a room of whatever size, the objects are ranked in terms of their environment scores. The highest object has its score multiplied by a number (1.0 for small rooms <25 tiles, 0.6 for larger ones >225 tiles - no idea how the pattern is for rooms in between), and each successive object after that contributes less until it reaches 0.2. This takes five objects for a small room and 15 for a large room.

Note that what you see in buy mode e.g. "Environment: 6" is NOT the actual value of EnvironmentScore as used in the game code. It's indicative, with 1 meaning 0 - 4 points, 2 meaning 5 - 9, 3 meaning 10 - 14 etc.

Will do some more testing and report the results soon.

Edit: Okay, some testing done. All testing was completed in a 5 x 5 room. I compiled a bit of data on the bigger fountains, but those were done outside and should be disregarded because the scaling rate is different. Environment scores are pulled from GameplayData.package.

(D = Decorated, ND = Nicely Decorated, BD = Beautifully Decorated. The numbers are the number of that item in a room required to produce the moodlet.)

F-Class Hunter-Killer (environment score: 100) - BD 1
Puck's Soliloquy (environment score: 75) - ND 1 BD 2
Mission at Noon, Lance Ng (environment score: 55) - ND 1 BD 2
Errant Guard (environment score: 45) - ND 1 BD 3
Grand Piano (environment score: 40) - D 1 ND 2 BD 4
Large Heavy Metal Titans of Doom Poster (environment score: 35) - D 1 ND 2 BD 5
Key to the City (environment score: 25) - D 1 ND 2 BD 10
Peekaboo Partition (environment score: 17) - D 1
Looking Glass Supreme (environment score: 16) - D 1
Simmy Award (environment score: 15) - D 2 ND 4 BD 23
Monstrously Cute OctoCat (environment score: 1) - D 71

Tested Outside:
Landgraab Science Facility Fountain (environment score: 90) - ND 1 BD 2
The Plaza Gusher (environment score: 85) - ND 1 BD 2

Hypothesis: There is a certain 'environment score' required for triggering each of the moodlets.
D lies between 15 and 16, ND between 40 and 45, and BD between 90 and 100.

For D, I tested a Simmy Award (15) plus one OctoCat (less than 1 as it's the second item) which doesn't give a moodlet. The Looking Glass does - probably, the requirement is at least 16 points. (EnvironmentScore is a float variable - so those decimals do matter.)

For ND, I tested a Grand Piano (40) plus one Space Bottle Cabinet (less than 5). This yielded ND, so I tried:
Grand Piano (40) + Eternal Bloomer Vase (<4) - ND
Grand Piano (40) + Towel Ring (<2) - ND
Grand Piano (40) + OctoCat (<1) - D. Hence we're probably looking for at least/more than 41.

For BD, I tested Puck's Soliloquy (75).
Puck's Soliloquy (75) + Key to the City (<25) - ND
Puck's Soliloquy (75) + Grand Piano (<40) - BD
Puck's Soliloquy (75) + La Ninjas del Toro Concert Collection (<30) - BD
Puck's Soliloquy (75) + Large Heavy Metal Titans of Doom Poster (<35) - BD
Puck's Soliloquy (75) + Philippe of Anzac (<29) - ND

It looks like the cut-off for Beautifully Decorated is 99 points or more, if we consider the below hypothesis.

I suspect the following: In a 5 x 5 room, the first item counts 100% of its score, the second 80%, the third 60%, the fourth 40% and the fifth onwards 20% each.
It agrees for most the above few cases, at least, though is off by 1 on the OctoCats.

Large Heavy Metal Titans of Doom Poster (environment score: 35) - D 1 ND 2 BD 5
At 1 item, we have environment score 35 which gives D.
At two, we have 35 + 28 = 63, ND.
At four, we have 35 + 28 + 21 + 14 = 98, not quite enough, so still ND.
At five we have 35 + 28 + 21 + 14 + 7 = 105 which gives us our BD.

Key to the City (environment score: 25) - D 1 ND 2 BD 10
At 1 item, we have environment score 25 which gives D.
At two, we have 25 + 20 = 45 which corresponds to ND.
At nine, we have 25 + 20 + 15 + 10 + (5 x 5) = 95 which corresponds to ND still.
Finally at ten, we have 25 + 20 + 15 + 10 + (6 x 5) = 100 and this is where we get our BD.

Simmy Award (environment score: 15) - D 2 ND 4 BD 23
At 1 item we have 15 which is not enough.
At two, we have 15 + 12 = 27 which gives D.
At three, we have 15 + 12 + 9 = 36, still D.
At 4, we have 15 + 12 + 9 + 6 = 42, which is ND.
At 22, we have 15 + 12 + 9 + 6 + (18 x 3) = 96. ND.
Our 23rd one adds three points to give us 99 and the BD.

OctoCat (environment score: 1) - Does not seem to agree with the model.
If we have 70 octocats, we should have 1 + .8 + .6 + .4 + (66 x .2) = 16 which SHOULD give us our D.
However, for some reason I needed 71 to trigger the D. It shouldn't be that more than 16 is required as the full-length mirror (Looking Glass Supreme) which is 16 points by itself does give the correct behaviour of triggering D when it alone is in a small room.

The rate of decrease of counting is most probably linear, regardless of the size of the room - I did some testing in the open with the Landgraab fountain, and found that
Landgraab Fountain (90) + Ivy Box (<9) - ND.
Landgraab Fountain (90) + Horse Says Nay (<10) - BD.

Since it takes 10 items to decrease the multiplier to 0.2x outdoors based on the XML file, 90 + (9 x 0.9111) = 98.2 for the ivy box, but we have 99.111 score for the horse sculpture which clears 99 which is consistent with our data so far. This one's not too tested yet though.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Wow, glad to see my research was expanded!  You folks got some serious testing accomplished.  I was just trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to decorate homes :D

Offline Bon_062

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:39 AM »
Recommendation: To get the "Decorated" moodlet, one of the following combinations minimum must be placed in a room:

• a 5
  • two 4's and a 1
  • three 3's
  • a 4 and three 2's
  • two 3's and two 2's
  • a 3 and four 2's
  • a 3, three 2's and three 1's
  • seven 2's
  • a 2 and fifteen 1's
This looks like:
  • One object must sum up to 5
  • Three objects must sum up to 9
  • Four objects must sum up to 10
  • Five objects must sum up to 11
But for seven and 16 objects, I do not know.

Offline Lizzy3272

• Llama Wrangler
  • SSDD
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Threads like these are like little "Easter Eggs" to me!  I love it!  Great information!  I'm going to write this down in my "Sims Notebook" for future reference!   ;D
"The black man fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Offline Ronin316

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
Based off of the data that drift9999 extracted, if you get the moodlet in a 15x15 room, you will always get that moodlet in any room of larger size.
So I tested a 5x5 room and a 15x15 room to see what the cheapest I can go on decorations is.

Conclusion:
The cheapest way to get Decorated, Nicely Decorated, and Beautifully Decorated is obviously using The Dragon's Vase.

The Dragon's Vase (Environment: 5 [After testing, I no longer believe this value to be an accurate depiction of the bonus conferred], Cost: $1):

Each room size was tested with an array of 8 rooms of that size with 1-8 Dragon's Vases in each.
Each room had a Tomb Passage Door, a UV by Uwe chair, free wood flooring and free wall covering.
5x5 rooms had 2x Disciplinary Lamps
15x15 rooms had 15x Disciplinary Lamps

Results:
5x5 room: 1 ND, 2 BD
15x15 room: 1 D, 2 ND, 3 BD

Any room can have BD for $3, no matter how large.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Ronin316.   :)

Yes, those little Dragon's Vases are certainly a gift to people wanting the Beautifully Decorated moodlet.  I use them a lot.

anything