Author Topic: Sims 3 keep crashing when I proceed to map view  (Read 24399 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Sims 3 keep crashing when I proceed to map view
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
I'm glad you've been able to resolve your problem, even if you can't use the highest setting for graphics.

One thing to keep in mind for laptops is that they can get very hot, which can cause crashes. I've put 1/4 inch pads on the bottom of mine to give it some extra space underneath for venting.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 04:33:30 AM »
I'm glad you've been able to resolve your problem, even if you can't use the highest setting for graphics.

One thing to keep in mind for laptops is that they can get very hot, which can cause crashes. I've put 1/4 inch pads on the bottom of mine to give it some extra space underneath for venting.

Well, I bought my laptop from Aftershock and they provide free lifetime thermal re-pasting! This keeps my laptop cool as long as I do this every 6 months.

:)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 05:18:17 AM »
By the way, is it safe to do this, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=523905 by selecting the dedicated graphics first in the BIOS?

:-\

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
By the way, is it safe to do this, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=523905 by selecting the dedicated graphics first in the BIOS?

:-\
It is and isn't considered safe. I mean that by that it works, and if you know exactly what you're doing it would be completely safe, but if you aren't really sure or the directions are fuzzy it can be pretty dangerous to your computer, which is probably what EA was warning you about.

Also, a subject you didn't mention I caught in there - Alt-Tabbing is extremely stressful for the Sims. Most games can handle it better, but the way the Sims was built (based off of numerical values to objects) it can cause the game to get a lot of errors built up which will lead to corruption and crashing. An old game that had a similar system of the Sims was Vampire the Masquerade. Basically, it's a system where they say "this doorknob is number 2" and "Chairs are 3." So when you go into the game, the computer will read it as, "ok, so a two goes on the door and a 3 goes by the table (except it will be in all numbers for everything in the game)." When you Alt-tab frequently enough it causes the game to start seeing in fuzzy glasses... basically the numbers start to blur together and what was once a chair(3) could now be a doorknob(2) because they were right next to each other on the numeral setup. In the old game (Vampire the Masquerade) those items would literally be replaced by one another, which made for some funny stories, but with the Sims, it will always catch those errors, and have to work harder to think about how to fix up where it goes.
I don't want to be crude, but your computer would essentially become like a drunk person (or maybe saying it's like a little kid would be a better reference) to where it has to work harder and think a lot harder and use a lot more memory just to accomplish a little thing like putting certain items where you want them.

Obviously that's a simple explanation for it, but I must encourage you to not Alt-Tab with your computer. I've found a safer way to move to your desktop is to switch to "Windows" mode from the options menu in game. Just uncheck the "fullscreen" mode, do what you need to do and recheck it. I haven't noticed any ill side-effects yet (though I haven't spoken too much with my boyfriend who does all that stuff with the numbers either).

Asides from that, I'm going to do some more digging for a very detailed list of what to do about a BIOS, if you're interested in it, but I wouldn't recommend you attempt it until you were pretty sure you knew what you were doing.

Completely ignore the bios thing. There should be an instruction list in your manual for your laptop.
Changing Video Settings in the System BIOS

Instructions on accessing and navigating the system BIOS can be found in the PC’s instruction manual. To change the video settings, enter the BIOS and navigate to the video settings. This may be listed as "Primary Display Adapter," "First Initial Display," or something similar. Set this to AGP or PCI as required, save the settings, and restart the system.

There's also this:
Windows Device Manager can be accessed in different ways, depending on the operating system version. For Vista and subsequent operating systems, click on the "Start" icon and type "Device Manager" in the search box. Click on "Device Manager" listed under "Control Panel." To access Device Manager in Windows XP, right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties." Next, click on the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager."

Once Device Manager has been located and accessed, find "Display Adapters" and click on the "+" symbol next to it. Right click on the onboard graphics device and choose "Disable." One will be prompted to restart the system, but one should select "No" and proceed to shut down the system to install the new graphics card.

Those were both found on The Do's and Don'ts of Graphics Card Installation.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »
It is and isn't considered safe. I mean that by that it works, and if you know exactly what you're doing it would be completely safe, but if you aren't really sure or the directions are fuzzy it can be pretty dangerous to your computer, which is probably what EA was warning you about.

Also, a subject you didn't mention I caught in there - Alt-Tabbing is extremely stressful for the Sims. Most games can handle it better, but the way the Sims was built (based off of numerical values to objects) it can cause the game to get a lot of errors built up which will lead to corruption and crashing. An old game that had a similar system of the Sims was Vampire the Masquerade. Basically, it's a system where they say "this doorknob is number 2" and "Chairs are 3." So when you go into the game, the computer will read it as, "ok, so a two goes on the door and a 3 goes by the table (except it will be in all numbers for everything in the game)." When you Alt-tab frequently enough it causes the game to start seeing in fuzzy glasses... basically the numbers start to blur together and what was once a chair(3) could now be a doorknob(2) because they were right next to each other on the numeral setup. In the old game (Vampire the Masquerade) those items would literally be replaced by one another, which made for some funny stories, but with the Sims, it will always catch those errors, and have to work harder to think about how to fix up where it goes.
I don't want to be crude, but your computer would essentially become like a drunk person (or maybe saying it's like a little kid would be a better reference) to where it has to work harder and think a lot harder and use a lot more memory just to accomplish a little thing like putting certain items where you want them.

Obviously that's a simple explanation for it, but I must encourage you to not Alt-Tab with your computer. I've found a safer way to move to your desktop is to switch to "Windows" mode from the options menu in game. Just uncheck the "fullscreen" mode, do what you need to do and recheck it. I haven't noticed any ill side-effects yet (though I haven't spoken too much with my boyfriend who does all that stuff with the numbers either).

Thanks for the tip about pressing ALT-TAB! I think I will avoid doing this from now on for my Sims 3 game. As for the BIOS, I am just afraid to meddle with it. What is strange is that I could not find the option to switch to my dedicated graphics card in my BIOS. Moreover, Asus laptop owners also have the same problem. It seems some manufactures of laptops have removed this option to prevent the end-user from meddling with it as things can go horribly wrong!

As for the Sims series, I guess that my best bet is now to look forward to playing Sims 4 on the highest settings to get my Simming fix! I also hope that Sims 4 would not be riddled with bugs but I am not optimistic over this.

:'(   

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »
OK, I have finally bitten the bullet and reinstalled my game. I just hope I don't have to do this again for the rest of the lifespan of my laptop.

So, I installed the base game only first and tested the game by playing it. It was patched to the latest version by the way.

I had a very pleasant surprise. The game did not crash! I even went to the map view a couple of times and still the game did not crash. Moreover, I even ALT-TAB my game to see whether a crash can be reproduced but no such thing happened! It was a nice surprise after a week of heartaches!

Now for the difficult part. I will install each SP and EP  and see whether the game would crash for each SP and EP. Hope everything would turn out just fine. This could take days by the way. The ultimate goal is to finally install a couple of Twallan mods and play the game without crashing!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Ah, so it seems you just had a bit of corruption in your files then. I'm glad to hear you're having good luck with it. It's a real pain when you have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall... however I encourage you to do regular Factory Resets (it still takes a bit of time, especially if you have a lot of store content) as those help keep your game functioning well without having to do a complete Uninstall. I do a Factory Reset once every 2 to 4 months, depending on how well my saves are playing or if I'm noticing any massive glitches.

Well, keep me updated on your progress. Maybe if you find the individual problem we can sort out why it's causing the crashing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »
OK, finally I reinstalled all my SPs and EPs and tested my game. I did not have any crash! That was a pleasant surprise!

Now for the hard part! I have yet to install any Store Content (I have all the items by the way) and Twallan's mods for the game. It seems I hate to play the game without Twallan's mods. Reason being, EA has yet to fix some of the bugs which have been plugging the game and I think they will never fix them! Twallan's mod resolves most of these issues by the way.

Secondly, I would like to add that in the process of reinstalling all my EPs and SPs, I did not even bother to change my sgr. files! The reason being, my GTX 780M card is being used by the game! I checked my taskbar and Sims 3 is using my card! So the question is, is it necessary to change my sgr. files now? I mean everything is fine so far so why fix something which is not broken?

Lastly, with regards to my NVIDIA control panel, is it really necessary to set V-Sync on? What if I set it off? Will it damage my card? Please advise! Thanks! I really do not like V-Sync to be on while playing my games. But if this is necessary for Sims 3, then I don't have a choice, do I?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
OK, finally I reinstalled all my SPs and EPs and tested my game. I did not have any crash! That was a pleasant surprise!

Now for the hard part! I have yet to install any Store Content (I have all the items by the way) and Twallan's mods for the game. It seems I hate to play the game without Twallan's mods. Reason being, EA has yet to fix some of the bugs which have been plugging the game and I think they will never fix them! Twallan's mod resolves most of these issues by the way.

Secondly, I would like to add that in the process of reinstalling all my EPs and SPs, I did not even bother to change my sgr. files! The reason being, my GTX 780M card is being used by the game! I checked my taskbar and Sims 3 is using my card! So the question is, is it necessary to change my sgr. files now? I mean everything is fine so far so why fix something which is not broken?

Lastly, with regards to my NVIDIA control panel, is it really necessary to set V-Sync on? What if I set it off? Will it damage my card? Please advise! Thanks! I really do not like V-Sync to be on while playing my games. But if this is necessary for Sims 3, then I don't have a choice, do I?

>I'm glad to hear you made it through the worst with your uninstall and reinstall!
>I have a lot of store content too, so I know how you feel.
>You shouldn't need to change anything, if it works, it works.
>V-Sync is for when your graphics card is more powerful than your monitor. It slows down the graphics card to prevent visual issues. It's usually required if you're going to play FPS's or graphics-intense games. Most people turn theirs off from what I know, but my boyfriend recommends that (if you have the option) to put it on Adaptive V-Sync, to where it will only kick on when it absolutely needs to - that way you won't run the risk of guessing wrong. However, with Sims you should be fine to leave it off. It shouldn't damage your card.

Offline Blanchflower

• Occult
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:38 AM »
>I'm glad to hear you made it through the worst with your uninstall and reinstall!
>I have a lot of store content too, so I know how you feel.
>You shouldn't need to change anything, if it works, it works.
>V-Sync is for when your graphics card is more powerful than your monitor. It slows down the graphics card to prevent visual issues. It's usually required if you're going to play FPS's or graphics-intense games. Most people turn theirs off from what I know, but my boyfriend recommends that (if you have the option) to put it on Adaptive V-Sync, to where it will only kick on when it absolutely needs to - that way you won't run the risk of guessing wrong. However, with Sims you should be fine to leave it off. It shouldn't damage your card.

Well, all is well now! I played over 3 hours with Twallan's mods and I only received 1 crash when I went to edit town mode and tried placing a new building. After that, I did it 3 times and I have not gotten any crashes.

All the hard work of reinstalling finally paid off!

;D

anything