Author Topic: Can't read Medical Journal ?  (Read 23590 times)

Offline Bogie74

• Townie
  • Ruh ro raggy!!
Can't read Medical Journal ?
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
Has anyone else had this problem - I have my Sim in the Medical Career. I have not been able to read my Medical Journal for a few days now. Here's the weird part - I noticed that everytime I try to read it, it says "no interactions available". I cant move it from my inventory at all. Each day he brings home the next one, and it replaces the previous one. Meaning, I don't have more than one journal in my inventory. What is going on? My career research is getting close to a frowny face, and I don't know how to fix it! Anyone else have this problem? ???
I will love him and squeeze him and pet him and call him George!!

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Can't read Medical Journal ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »
I'm guessing you've already read it and just forgot. If a guitar player buys a particular piece of sheet music from the Bookstore and learns it, and then tries to click on the sheet music again — I think you get the same message: No Interactions Available.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Bogie74

• Townie
  • Ruh ro raggy!!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
No I didn't read it. I've noticed that if you have already read something, you're options are "reread such and such" or put away. Each day he comes home with a new one, and the sequence changes; IE; medical journal 27 - the next day the icon shows medical journal 28 and so on. It's not like the guitar where it says "no interactions are available"

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
Oh, you're right. With reading something you get the Reread option. Hmmmm....then I'm stumped. Have you ever been able to read a medical journal with this character?

Offline igzigpuff

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
My Sim had the same problem and it ended up being a glitched journal.  I initially had him start to read it, but his wife went into labor and had to take her to the hospital.  So when I tried to have him read it later it would give me the "no interactions available".  I asked about it on the EA forum and tried a few suggestions, but in the end it was a glitch.  The only way I was able to fix it was have him quit his job and start over at the same career.  It worked out since he rolled a want to quit his job after their second child.  I know it's a pain to have to start over, but that what fixed it for me.  :( 

Happy Simming!

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
Ah, interesting. So, I guess the goal is to make sure to read the journal in one shot with no interruption as that might be what prevents the interaction later.

Offline Bogie74

• Townie
  • Ruh ro raggy!!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »
UPDATE: First and foremost thanks so much for the help. This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I played last night, and sure enough, one book, next in sequence. I thought about having him quit, but his dream was to be a surgeon and he was almost there so I thought well... let's play and see what happens.

Under job research - smiley face stayed at Normal. Each day he would bring home a book next in sequence, and I still can't read any of them. I think he's up to Medical Journal #57!!! Didn't effect his ability to get a promotion though, and I thought surely it would. He managed to make it to the top of his career despite not reading any of them!!

I tell ya one thing.. that's not a Dr. I would go see!! HAHA!!  :D

I think someone mentioned that a glitch occurred when the wife had to go to the hospital...now I'm wondering if that might have been the cause. He had just left his shift, and was outside reading - figured I'd have him do that since he was already there, and the wife was on the way - I think it was then that the glitch occurred.

What's more, is that the wife was reading a recipe - think it was for turkey, when she had  to go to the hospital. Didn't finish the recipe, and when she came home, recipe wasn't in her inventory. I think there is an issue with reading and baby delivery... ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
I have a whole household full of doctors and never had the problems you are having Bogie.  :-\  There have been several times sim was unable to finish journal at one sitting and I've still been able to access it in the inventory.  It's gotta be a bug.  :P  Sorry.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I have just started playing a doctor and am having the same problem.  She read her first journal with no problems, but the new ones that show up in her inventory cannot be read.  I can't move them out of the inventory or do anything with them.  I'm taking a break from the game in hopes the problem will resolve itself.  If it doesn't, I guess the options are to have her quit the job and start over (I'd rather not, as this is her LTW) or just carry on and hope the problem doesn't affect her job performance too badly. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, did you find a solution?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »
Schip, have you tried resetting the Sim? Would there possibly be other stuff in Inventory that might cause a conflict?

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Metro, I haven't tried resetting the sim.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try it if the problem persists when I restart the game.  The only other things she has in her inventory is a couple of books.  I doubt they're the problem, but I can try taking them out and see if anything changes.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree other books are unlikely the culprit. Special seeds is what I was wondering given they can also shut down the grocery store.

Offline Veldmuisie

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
I had this problem.  I messed around with taking books out of the book case and putting them all back in to no avail. But then discovered that with the nasty journal safely tucked away in the book case, he was able to read the next journals again.  Hope that works for you.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
I had this problem.  I messed around with taking books out of the book case and putting them all back in to no avail. But then discovered that with the nasty journal safely tucked away in the book case, he was able to read the next journals again.  Hope that works for you.

Veldmuisie, I appreciate the suggestion, but perhaps my problem is a little different from yours, because I can't do anything with the journal.  There just is no way to grab on to it.  Unless, maybe, I try to do it in Buy mode - haven't tried that yet. 

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
Veldmuisie, I appreciate the suggestion, but perhaps my problem is a little different from yours, because I can't do anything with the journal.  There just is no way to grab on to it.  Unless, maybe, I try to do it in Buy mode - haven't tried that yet. 

You can't open a Sim's Inventory in Buy mode.