Author Topic: Meteors  (Read 64315 times)

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
Re: Meteors
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
The strikes have always occurred after looking through a telescope.  My sims have not been allowed to own one in a long time, and I haven't had any strikes since.
Hmm I'll keep that in mind for one of the children in my legacy who is learning the logic skill. I definately don't want her to trig a meteor.
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:50 AM »
Hmm I'll keep that in mind for one of the children in my legacy who is learning the logic skill. I definately don't want her to trig a meteor.

To be honest, the chance is still there. I think it was brought up on page 1, and the chance is 0.01% if you're not looking through a telescope, and 1% if you are. The game will check once an hour if it should spawn a meteor.
The chances are remote, which I can vouch for, having never had a meteor in 2 years, but they're still there. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Coocoo girl

• The Desert Devourer
  • Occult
  • This isn't my simself, just to avoid confusion.
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »

To be honest, the chance is still there. I think it was brought up on page 1, and the chance is 0.01% if you're not looking through a telescope, and 1% if you are. The game will check once an hour if it should spawn a meteor.
The chances are remote, which I can vouch for, having never had a meteor in 2 years, but they're still there. :)
Does that mean that if your sim looked through a telescope all day(for meteor death related reasons) there would be a 24% chance that a meteor would fall on you sim?  Does that also mean that, if you have more than one sim, there is a bigger chance of a meteor falling on one of them?  Also does it matter whether they're outside or not?  Also, If you had 8 sims looking through telescopes all day, every day, for about 2 sim days, what would the chances of a meteor falling on at least one of them be?  In case you haven't already guessed, I really want to see a sim die from a meteor.
EAT COOKIES.  You'll like them!
Coocoos current story:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,11405.0.html (Light legacy)
New chapter!:All that glitters is not gold(but there is some gold)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
Okay, I'm not 100% sure on the coding, so here's my belief from reading the code. :)

Does that mean that if your sim looked through a telescope all day(for meteor death related reasons) there would be a 24% chance that a meteor would fall on you sim?

No, at any hour in the day, there is a 1% chance it will fall on your Sim. So there's a 1% chance at 1AM, a 1% chance at 2AM, and so on. It's not stackable.

Does that also mean that, if you have more than one sim, there is a bigger chance of a meteor falling on one of them?

I don't know.

Also does it matter whether they're outside or not?

Again, I don't know.

Also, If you had 8 sims looking through telescopes all day, every day, for about 2 sim days, what would the chances of a meteor falling on at least one of them be?

1% per Sim per hour. So on Day 2, 6AM, there'd be a 1% chance it'd fall on Sim C, for example.

In case you haven't already guessed, I really want to see a sim die from a meteor.

;D So do I. I can make a Mod so that a Meteor falls every hour if you want. >:D

thesweetestpea

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
;D So do I. I can make a Mod so that a Meteor falls every hour if you want. >:D

I think Mod The Sims has one. I've had a bug where meteors spawned once a day from a borked mod, but I really want to have a meteor strike autonomously in my game because I want a meteor ghost.

Offline lvrugger

• Occult
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
If you have awesomemod or debug enabler, you can shift-click on the ground and select "spawn meteor" - if you want to kill off a sim... ;)

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
Does that mean that if your sim looked through a telescope all day(for meteor death related reasons) there would be a 24% chance that a meteor would fall on you sim?  Does that also mean that, if you have more than one sim, there is a bigger chance of a meteor falling on one of them?  Also does it matter whether they're outside or not?  Also, If you had 8 sims looking through telescopes all day, every day, for about 2 sim days, what would the chances of a meteor falling on at least one of them be?  In case you haven't already guessed, I really want to see a sim die from a meteor.

1) Every hour there is a 99% chance that there will not be a meteor. At the end of 24 hours straight, there is a 22% chance that there will have been at least one meteor (1 - (99%^24)).
2) With two sims, it's like flipping two coins. You've got four outcomes: no meteor (78%*78% = 60%), meteor on Sim A (22% * 78% = 17%), meteor on Sim B (22% * 78% = 17%), or meteors on both (22% * 22% = 6%). The more sims you have, the more chance you have to get at least one meteor, but it's not linear - the chance of zero meteors is 78% ^ (number of sims).
3) Outside? That's in the game code.
4) The chance of no meteor for 1 sim watching for 48 hours straight is 39%. For 8 sims the chance of no meteor is 39%^8 = 2% - so a 98% chance of a meteor. It will never be an absolute sure thing, but it will eventually get really darn close.

In case you haven't already guessed, I really got an A in statistics. :)
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »
I was awed when I was reading your post Cathyknits. I congratulate you for the A, it was very well deserved!  :)

I've just got Ambitions, so no meteors for me!
Silly question, is it possible to change the coding so meteors don't occur?

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2012, 03:04:18 AM »
Silly question, is it possible to change the coding so meteors don't occur?

Yes, you just set the chance to 0. There's a Mod at ModTheSims (the one that the sweetest pea mentioned) that does that. It comes in several flavors, one is to remove the chance altogether.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »

Yes, you just set the chance to 0. There's a Mod at ModTheSims (the one that the sweetest pea mentioned) that does that. It comes in several flavors, one is to remove the chance altogether.

Okay, thank you Seabody.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline Coocoo girl

• The Desert Devourer
  • Occult
  • This isn't my simself, just to avoid confusion.
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
1) Every hour there is a 99% chance that there will not be a meteor. At the end of 24 hours straight, there is a 22% chance that there will have been at least one meteor (1 - (99%^24)).
2) With two sims, it's like flipping two coins. You've got four outcomes: no meteor (78%*78% = 60%), meteor on Sim A (22% * 78% = 17%), meteor on Sim B (22% * 78% = 17%), or meteors on both (22% * 22% = 6%). The more sims you have, the more chance you have to get at least one meteor, but it's not linear - the chance of zero meteors is 78% ^ (number of sims).
3) Outside? That's in the game code.
4) The chance of no meteor for 1 sim watching for 48 hours straight is 39%. For 8 sims the chance of no meteor is 39%^8 = 2% - so a 98% chance of a meteor. It will never be an absolute sure thing, but it will eventually get really darn close.

In case you haven't already guessed, I really got an A in statistics. :)
Thanks!  Now, um, I'm just going to go make 8 sims and have them all look through a telescope for 2 days straight, or 3 days, or however long until I get a meteor! ;D  Yeah, I know, this post is kind of off topic.  But, in other words, wow!  I barely even understood half of what you said!  But I understood enough to know how to technically force a meteor.
EAT COOKIES.  You'll like them!
Coocoos current story:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,11405.0.html (Light legacy)
New chapter!:All that glitters is not gold(but there is some gold)

Offline SassySimmer

• Tea Addict
  • Immortal
Re: Meteor Shower!
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
After having Ambitions since it came out I had my first meteor shower ever whilst I was playing the last challenge of the year!  So I thought that I would share some pictures because it was epic!

Yes it did kill one of my Sims, but thankfully I had a Genie lamp and was able to wish my Sim back to life, otherwise I would of ended up as a did not complete!

I have also learned my lesson to run away when the meteor thing pops up and not to stand and watch it come in :D
♫♪If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.  When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps, just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing, and always look on the bright side of life......♪♫

Offline ilovethesims

• Townie
Re: Meteor Shower!
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »
One of my Sims has experienced the "....wonders why it's suddenly dark" message and then I remembered that I read somewhere in the forum that when the message appears, a meteor will strike the Sim. I ran away from the spot immediately.

Offline Flower1552

• Llama Wrangler
Meteor!
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »
So today my Young Adult Sim, Cathrine Newman, was at University taking a class in the Science building. It was raining pretty hard, then a lightning strike hit and a notice I'd never seen before popped up... "Cathrine wonders why it got so dark." I thought it was a power-outage from the rain, so I used cheats and turned off the rain. Then she quit in mid-class and had an action. "React to Meteor" Immediately, I paused the game and zoomed out. There it was, seconds away from slamming into the ground. (I got a ton of sweet pics, but don't know how to post them!)  I didn't know how to react. I remembered I saved not to long ago, and there was nothing I could do about the meteor towering over the frightened faces of all the Sims. So, I un-paused, taking the risk. The slammed straight on top of a guy, and with a bright flash, it was next to a tree, and Grim was already there, standing before a like of 5 people who died. Everyone else was singed badly, including my Sim. I grabbed the meteor and some other space rocks and ran as far away as possible from the crash site, hoping he didn't beckon my Sim as well. Luckily, the mascot was there singing and dancing to cheer people up. The rock was about 2,500, but a lot of people had died and things destroyed.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experiences with Meteors, if any. She is 3rd gen, and I've had all the Expansions since my first, and never had this happen. Thanks for reading, and happy Simming!

~Flower

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Meteor!
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
Meteors actually came with Ambitions and there is already a thread about this so as soon as I find it I'm going to merge them together.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'