Author Topic: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Eleven  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Three
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Aw, Seal is so cute! I know what you mean about those requirements. I only had 3 Sims for about 3 weeks, and I barely got all my requirements done. I can't imagine doing it with only 2.  :o

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
Weel, Connie's a few days off Adult now, and is by my reckoning about a third of the way there...

A new chapter should be coming soon, I need to sort through screenshots and write it... The next update will probably be Wednesday, but should be a fairly interesting one (I hope). And Seal will definitely be making an appearance!

Seal was a very cute puppy, and has grown up into a very talented dog...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »
Weel, Connie's a few days off Adult now, and is by my reckoning about a third of the way there...

If you're a third of the way just a few days off adult you're doing well. If no bugs or glitches get in your way you will easily be done by the time Constance becomes an elder. Things speed up when they're an adult.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
This is absolutely fantastic. :)

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Toni - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. so far so good :)

Fez, thank you - I'm a huge fan of your stories, really glad you like this :)

And, huzzah! 1000+ views! I'm so chuffed so many people are reading! Hope I don't disappoint you all in future chapters!

Speaking of which, I think another chapter is well overdue!

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
Re: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Four
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
Chapter Four: The path of true love

Connie was almost delirious with joy. She was going to marry the most handsome, kind, gentle and talented man in the whole Island, and possibly the whole world! She admitted privately that there may be one or two more impressive men somewhere, but one would probably have to search other continents, before squashing the thought as unworthy.

And was that the sound of his voice she heard? She grinned to herself - he still sang sea shanties, but tried to cut out anything he thought too crude for a woman's ears, in deference to her. Secretly, she quite enjoyed hearing the songs that men sang when women weren't there, but she wouldn't dream of telling him so.

"Ahoy there, my lovely Connie! And what a beautiful day for planning our wedding! I have taken the liberty of bringing you a bridal gift, my darling. I hope you like it, but I can always exchange it if necessary."

Connie opened the box in delight, and gasped as she drew out a beautiful flowing dress, the colour of the sea in spring.

"It is so wonderful, and you are so generous," she said, leaning in to kiss him. "It is exactly the colour I love best."

Seal barked happily as they embraced.

"I cannot wait for our wedding, my darling," said Peter. "Only one week from today."

"Certainly, when one has no family, weddings are a lot easier to organise," sighed Constance, having one of her moments of melancholy. "I do wish that my mother and father could have met you and given their seal of approval - as they certainly would have, by the way."

Peter looked at her gravely. "I too wish my parents could be here. After my father drowned, my mother moved back to London, and I have not seen her or my sisters for many a year."

Connie sighed again. "My father drowned too, not three miles from here. He drowned in a great storm." She did not want to give more details. After his death, many people had come up to her and called him 'hero', and all the while she had thought fiercely to herself that she wished he had been no hero, but had left the captain's children to drown, and come home safely. She could barely admit to herself even now how her sorrow had driven her to such cruel thoughts.

Peter looked up sharply. "My father too. He was captain of a ship called the Mary Rose. She foundered off some rocks on this very island. My sister and I were on board, and would have drowned too, but by the grace, we were saved by a local man. A fisherman, I was told, but after we were rescued, my mother brought us home as soon as she could, and I was never able to find him and thank him."

It was as though he had poured a bucket of ice water over her on the hottest summer day. She gasped, and swayed on her feet.

"You? You and your sister were those children? That man who rescued you was my father, and the best man who ever lived. For years I hated you for his death, and I hated myself for hating you."

Peter's face had gone white. "Connie..."

"No. You have said plenty. Go. I cannot look at you."

Peter stepped back, shocked.

"Very well. I am sorry for grieving you so sorely, Connie. I can only apologise for bringing such grief into your life, and bringing sorrow to your heart. I cannot blame you, but I will wait for word from you before our wedding."

"Wedding?" Connie fair shrieked this word. "There will be no wedding. Leave now, before I set Seal on you."

Seal was whimpering, and looked in no state to drive off anyone, but Peter just nodded and left.

Connie stood and watched him go. When he was out of sight, she wept. She did not know how long she wept for. She was not aware of moving, but she found herself mechanically plucking fruits from her trees and bushes. How could he, her love, her soon-to-be husband, have caused her father's death? She felt as though the world had tilted on its axis. How could love come from death? Was she only to lose one love to pay for another?

She fell into her accustomed rhythm of harvesting, and felt her breathing slow, and her mind begin to quiet. She remembered the look on Peter's face when she had told him to leave - told him she would not marry him! He had caused her more pain than he ever knew, but had he not lost his father too? And the pain she caused him was not unknowing or unhelped, but deliberate - she had not looked to be cruel, but the pain and rage had made it all too easy.

She went to bed uneasy in her mind that evening. The raven cawed outside her window all night, and Seal was uncustomarily morose. She recalled a phrase she had heard once; the long dark night of the soul. Well, she was looking at her soul, and while she was not in the pits of despair as she remembered she had once been, it was still not a comfortable feeling to look at oneself, and see one's faults honestly. She had been unfair, and unkind - and wrong too, for she did want to marry him. Even as she had shouted at him, he had respected her wishes, and renewed his loyalty.

It seemed an age before the sun dawned again, but when it did, she had made a decision.

She sat down at her table (for yes, she had a table now - Peter had brought his friends along to build her a small hut in her field, and had fixed some broken furniture for her - for, as he had said laughingly, until he gave her a mansion, they would need somewhere to live), and laboriously scratched out a letter.

Mye dearest Peter

Please forgive mee, afore I did notte treat you Kindly. I have Wronged you, and offer you my Contrit Contrishun Sincere Appologies. You are a Goode man and True, and it woulde bee more honour than I am Worthe were you to forgive mee and marrye me as you once honoured me by askinge.

Yours Forever
Constance Cabot

She sealed the letter, and tied it to the raven's leg, sending it flying with her hopes of happiness.

By her foot, she heard a muffled bark. She looked down, and Seal dropped a stone by her foot, and wagged his tail.

"What's this," she smiled at her dog. She looked more closely at the rock, and realised that parts of it gleamed red... like rubies. Seal barked again, and nudged it with his nose.

"Rubies?" she gasped.

Seal yipped excitedly, and ran in a circle.

"A wedding present, perhaps" a voice seemed to whisper in her mind's ear. She looked around sharply, but there was no-one there but the wind.

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
Chapter Five: Beginning happily ever after.

The wedding was widely agreed to be most charming, considering. True, the bride had no family, but she did have a certain radiance that the happiest brides have (and it was wrongly assumed to be for the same reason). The groom too had few attendants, but he stood as tall and proud as any man, and several maidens sighed to see him so thoroughly besotted with his bride. There were more flowers than people in the chapel, but the air was filled with the scent of summer blooms, and when the happy couple exchanged vows, there were more than a few tears shed.

After the simple ceremony, Peter pulled Connie aside.

"Now I've promised to love, honour and cherish you, Mrs Devlin, til death us do part," he grinned "I also promise this. I will always do my best to behave towards you with all the love I feel right now, and I will always bring you wildflowers when I see any worthy of your beauty.

"Flatterer," Connie laughed giddily. "I've married you now, you don't need your pretty words to make me smile. I have you by my side, and need no more to be happy. The flowers, however, are quite lovely, and I thank you, my darling husband."

They laughed again, drunk on love, and ran out to eat the cake, which the old wives had baked, and pressed on them with murmers of 'a fruitful marriage'.

The occasion was so filled with warmth and affection that some uninvited guests showed, and were likewise offered cake, somewhat to their surprise.

Everyone left feeling full and blissful, none more so than the bride and groom. They went back to Connie's hut, and that night they were not divided.

It was not many months thereafter that Connie felt a flutter in her stomach. She brushed over it, but before long, it was clear that she was expecting. Peter was of course overjoyed.

"A little girl, who looks just like her mother," he said dreamily.

"No," said Connie firmly. "A little boy, as kind and as gentle as his father."

Peter looked after Connie as tenderly as he knew how for the next months. He promised that she would have all the care she needed, that when it was her time, he would bring the doctor well in advance, that she would have bed rest for days beforehand, that he personally would see to everything, until Connie was half-convinced that he meant to give birth himself.

When it happened though, it was a surprise. Connie had had one of her wakeful nights, tossing and turning in the warm bed. Eventually she got up, as silently as she ever had as a child, and went outside to breathe the cool night air. Suddenly, she felt a sharp twinge in her abdomen. She breathed in deeply and evenly, as she remembered from half-heard, whispered conversations between her mother's friends.

The pain came again, and she cried out. Peter came running almost instantly, thrown into a complete disarray."I will go at once for the doctor," he babbled. "Old mother Picot will lend me her horse, and I will be back with help in no time at all. Just... hold it as long as you can..."

"Don't be foolish, Peter," Connie gasped between the pains, which were coming thick and fast now. "Bring... Mother Picot instead... She's had six living of her own, and seen... ow.... many more into the world."

But Peter had already fled in panic, desperate to ensure 'proper' help.

Before he had returned, Connie had walked to Mother Picot's herself, and together, they brought a squalling baby girl into the world. When mistress Picot laid the baby in her arms, Connie was unprepared for the tidal wave of protectiveness and worship that washed over her. She knew that her life would never be her own again, and she laid it gladly at the feet of this tiny - but very loud - scrap of humanity.

"Hast tha give thought to a name yet?" enquired Mother Picot, washing her hands.

Constance had only thought of Joseph Peter for a boy, but as she looked into her baby's eyes, she knew the answer.

"She shall be called Patience. She will need it, dealing with men!" Constance giggled, in joy and exhaustion.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

SimBlip

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
Absolutely brilliant, Delouche!
The discovery of Peter Devlin's origins was bound to be shocking and hurtful. This conflict cannot have been easy to handle - for writer and character alike. You have done Peter, Constance and yourself justice with astonishing flair.
I love your eye for detail. Your pictures, your prose and dialogues, a misspelled letter from Constance... it all adds up to a most elegantly construed period drama.  :D

Edit: This comment was meant for chapter four. I'm delighted with a sequel so soon. Off to read chapter five!

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
Re: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Five
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
Thank you SimBlip :) And you predicted it! I knew who he was, but not exactly how Connie would find out, or react, until I started writing it. After a while, the characters take over.

Something I noticed that I thought was really sweet: when Constance and Peter first started dating, Connie got a wish to woohoo with him for 350 points. I didn't let them (I'm playing it as faithfully to the times as I can, which is annoying when you consider all the labour-saving devices that have been invented over the last two centuries). As they got married, she popped a wish for First Woohoo With Peter... for 2,500 points! I hadn't seen that before, and I was very touched by it. And of course, it was a nice LTH bonus :)

The Starlight Phoenix

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
Wow, two chapters in a row! And both are masterfully done yet again; but then again, you are the one writing it, so it should naturally be expected that these chapters are amazing. ;D

Slight kidding aside ;), I really love your story, DeLouche. It's a nice, refreshing take on an Immortal Dynasty, and I find myself enjoying it very much.

Keep up the wonderful work! :D

-Phoenix

SimBlip

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
I think everybody knew, this gorgeous couple would make up. It was very clever to proceed with the wedding at once. The effect of such happiness after the tears earlier on is infectious.
The cabin pictures of the wedding night are evocative. I loved the deer tiptoeing in for their share of cake.
And then... thank goodness for midwives like Mrs Picot! :)

PS.
I love the 'woohoo for the first time' wish too! And good on you for staying within the time's moral value system!

Offline Posidem

• Dutch of the Sea
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
Oh. My. Gawd. I think I just cried a little. But then, I saw them get married, and was jumping with joy! Good job!    :D

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »
Congratulations, Constance and Peter! Welcome, Patience! She will certainly need it in a Dynasty!  :P (Reminds me of a story I was told. I'll PM it to you so as to stay on topic)

Joanne

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
Congratulations on the wedding and welcome little Patience. Wonderful updates!

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 04:36:03 AM »
Great update! Congratulations on little Patience!