Author Topic: Building Redemption Island - Coffeehouse/City Hall added  (Read 22350 times)

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Building Redemption Island - Coffeehouse/City Hall added
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »
Redemption Island is the location of "The Long Way Home" in my signature. The first couple of chapters play on a different map, which I build right before the story and kept adding to in CAW while I played. I believe that may just be the reason the world broke after a while. I thought it was just a little matter of a road I had forgotten to smooth out... but it turned out to be something worse. In the end, I had to remake the map. This first version won't feature in this thread though.

The second version was exported with all lots prepared for building and everything I thought I needed and kept the same throughout the rest of the story. The main problem was that I'd forgotten to add most of the spawners, so the household was rather limited in things they could fine around the world. At this point I didn't dare export the world again, so they made do with what they had (They're actually still doing so at this moment). I also didn't really decorate this second attempt as much as I had the first one... because I wanted it faster, so the story didn't have to wait for it, and because I was afraid to repeat the previous problem.

The reason I started to do the building as part of a  story: I'd tried CAW before, but always got stuck in Edit In Game. I love building in Sims 3 (and spend most of my time actually in build/buy mode), but building this many right after another? And mostly community buildings at that? On top of that, the Edit In World building really isn't the same as building in the actual game.

This thread, however, isn't about Gabriel's story. It's about Redemption Island and its buildings (Mostly the buildings... as the island itself is pretty basic really. that's why I didn't put it in the CAW part of the forum. There won't be that much about the world itself.) The community buildings in here are actually my very first, as I've always stuck to residential lots so far. Really big residential lots mostly.

The custom content list with the buildings are there for me, so I can change those bits around before trying to upload them to the swap-shop.

For those who would love to download this once it's finished:
Redemption Island was made for the story and has been quite a learning experience for me (It still is, actually, as it's not even halfway done). It's my first working world, but there are some issues which make it so I won't use this map myself after Gabriel finishes his challenge.
The lack of spawners is one, of course. So far, it's the only functional problem I've encountered.
Terrain painting was done rather quickly, as I wanted the map ready for use and... Gabriel wasn't going to go too close to the mountains anyway. Some of the lots got cliffs on one of the sides when I smoothed out the road prior to the final export. I wasn't going to replace every lot just for Gabriel's story... and so all buildings are build on the lots the way they were. This makes for some odd height differences which I try not to show in the pictures.

I am going to add spawners on the map before uploading it, of course. I'll see about correcting some of the other issues as well.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: Building Redemption Island
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
Redemption Island
Mother has seen fit to take on Sim-form and show us around an uninhabited copy of Gabriel's Redemption island... (after all, someone needs to test this thing out ;) ).

A couple of shots of Redemption Island:

The island is split up into different divisions:
  • Angel Hill. This is the location where most of the story takes place: the hill on which Gabriel's home is situated, as well as some other lots that feature in the story.
  • Angel Hill Extension District. The extension of Angel Hill. In the first map, this was actually a lower level of the hill. In the new one, it's situated next to the actual hill and now also includes a beach property.
  • The community centre. This is where most of the regular islanders' lives take place. Most of the rabbit holes and town buildings are over here.
  • The poor district. Well. Poorer, any way. Small houses, a laundromat, the consignment building... and a few other community lots.
  • The well-to-do district. Large lots, large houses. Spa, pet store and other things mainly the wealthy need.
  • The science/military district. With its own graveyard and gym. Barracks for common soldiers, but the officers live in the larger houses, among the scientists.
  • The Midnight district. Entertainment and entertainers. Mostly Late Night/Showtime ventures over here.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
Angel Hill District
When I made the map, I planned Angel Hill as  a real millionaire Sim's residence.

Aside from the actual mansion, it has three other residential lots: The Gardener's Abode, The Gatekeeper and the Stablemaster. These three lots are supposed to hold the mansion's outdoor personnel.

During the story, the first two were build to provide Lemon Peel's younger brothers with housing close to the family, as Gabriel was loath to let them go too far away. The third was added when he understood he didn't think of horses when building the manor... and since the challenge requires him to max riding, he needed a valid solution for the problem at hand.

Angel Hill as it is now: (will be updated later on)

The buildings on Angel Hill:

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:43:12 AM »
Angel Hill Extension District
The extension to the Angel Hill Residential Grounds are the home of some of the more... dirty or noisy activities. This is actually the more hidden part of the millionaire's private property, though these are available to the full community of Redemption Island, which isn't so for the buildings on Angel Hill proper. The Greenhouse is actually the first park Gabriel build, so a lot of the inhabitants of the island come here to socialize.

Angel Hill Extension as it is now (most of the buildings have been unlocked in the story, but Gabriel hasn't gotten around to building them yet.)

The buildings on Angel Hill 2:
  • Greenhouse
  • Nectary
  • Horse Ranch.
  • Private Venue.
  • The beach.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
The community center
The center of Redemption Island, easy to reach from Angel Hill and all other districts houses the most basic of all buildings. The Festival Park in the middle is flanked by City Hall and the school. A few of the islanders make the center district their home.

This is actually the largest part of Redemption Island, both in the sheer amount of buildings and in used space.
A lot of the buildings still need to be build at this time, but it's starting to show some of its final size already. (I have changed all custom roofs to regular EA ones, because the light yellow didn't show up properly at a distance.)

The Peels actually lived in a small house next to what was going to be the gym before Mariska fell in love with Lemon. The households here aren't exactly poor, but they're nowhere near the wealth of the higher profile districts either.

Overview pictures:

The buildings in the community district:

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »
The Poor District
Hidden from view by a mountain range, the poorer quarters of Redemption Island aren't really that far removed from the Centre, though no one really needs to see it if they don't want to. Even so, none of the houses are old, broken down or in any way defective.

After all, this is a poor district build by an angel, who neither cares nor understands the real class and wealth distinctions of Sim life. Like all residences, homes here have been build with the residing family in mind. If there are family members under the age of Young Adult, a small playground is added. The right number of beds and cribs, as well as chairs on the dining table should also be available. (There is however a large possibility of routing issues in houses with large households, like the Parson family.)

Lots in this district are small. So are the doors and windows used. Any furniture in these homes is cheap, but new and clean. However, I fear the colours chosen by Gabriel aren't that practical for most families, as he's known to use an overdose of white in everything. New residents should be warned about this little fact...

Overview pictures:

The buildings in the poor part of Redemption:
  • Community buildings
    • Consignment Shop
    • Crime Syndicate
    • Playground
    • Laundromat
    • Gypsy Caravan
    • Dive Bar
    • Fishing spot (which is actually rather removed from the actual district)
    • Another No visitors allowed lot for which I don't know what I wanted to do with it any moer...
  • Residential Buildings

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
The Science/Military District
The scientists and military people on Redemption have their own part of the map. After all, who knows what kind of trouble those scientists manage to discover? There is evidence of mining on the mountains nearby... though no trace whatsoever of previous inhabitants. Redemption Island has attracted the interest of aliens long before the very first extra islanders moved here, so there may be trouble ahead.

Overview pictures:

The buildings in this side of Redemption:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
The Entertainers  District
The Midnight section of Redemption Island, a place where the night is more important than the day. There is room for the stars to stay close to their 'natural habitat'. Because of the levels of possible noise during the late hours, this district is actually located as far away from Angel Hill as possible. Only the poor part of Redemption may have the sound drift far enough on the busiest nights.

For now, there's only the lone Stadium (which obviously needs more windows... and a different roof).

Overview pictures...

• Community buildings
    • Stadium
    • Big Show Venue
    • Performance Venue
    • Private Venue
    • Movie studio
    • Vampire Bar
    • Bistro
    • Performance Park
  • Residential Buildings
    • 2 lots for celebrities/stars

Offline Fastmav347

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
Looks really neat project, good luck on it.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
The Wealthy  District
Last, but most definitely not least, the section of the island which is reserved for the wealthiest of citizens. None of the truly wealthy have send in applications for the move so far, but that may just be a matter of time. (Actually... it's a matter of random.org, as I let that thing decide which district a new family will belong to. Same goes for size and type of family.)

Lot sizes here are decidedly larger than in the regular residential areas (the centre and the poor district ;) ). Furniture will be expensive, cars will be much more present over here... and often more exclusive as well. Millionaires, leaders of the free world and other utterly rich Sims will feel right at home over here. Community buildings represent those nice parts of life that need both time and money to really enjoy.

• Community buildings
    • Beach
    • Playground
    • Horse Ranch
    • Equestrian Center
    • Pet store
    • Spa
    • Beauty Salon
    • Chinese Garden
    • cat Jungle
    • Dog Park
    • Arboretum
    • Vault of antiquities
    • fishing spot
    • Wedding Grounds
  • Residential Buildings
    • 1 beach residence
    • 1 64x64 lot
    • 2 rich lot

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
Looks really neat project, good luck on it.
Thank you :).

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
The two 'driveway' lots
These two lots are more or less mirrored images of each other.

They're really mostly around for looks, though both of them actually have a place to eat and can be used as small parks. The trees are Ornamental Pear trees, so they will lose their leaves during autumn. Evergreens may have been a better choice, but... it was Gabriel's choice.
The entrance is 'hidden' behind the white Hydrangeas.

The left wing, with Mother showing that it really is possible to cook here, though... she can't cook, really.

And the right wing, which is basically the same.

lot: No Visitors Allowed, size 20x26. (26 wide because: 64 -12 = 52 / 2 = 26. 26 wide on each side of a 12 width road. The combination of the two lots and the road right in the middle is exactly as wide as the mansion itself.

CC used: none.
EA store items: None.
EP/SP: World Adventures, Showtime, Ambitions.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
You're world is looking great so far! I'm moving it to the Create-A-World Board which is more suitable.  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
You're world is looking great so far! I'm moving it to the Create-A-World Board which is more suitable.  :)
Thank you :)

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Consignment building
My very first community building ever! Also one of the few buildings I was happy with after the very first try. The exterior look has been updated to accommodate the EA-roof.

The consignment building is situated in the Poor district of Redemption Island, and sports the regular small windows that are common for that part of the island.

Exterior:

Interior:

Lot size: 21x20

EP/SP: Ambitions, Fast Lane, Generations, Pets, Seasons, Supernatural, Showtime.
EA Store content: Gothic Library (candles)
No CC used.
Price tag real estate: 68.122 simoleons

anything