Author Topic: Islands of Sunset Valley: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 23814 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Islands of Sunset Valley Chapter 10: Promises
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »
Islands of Sunset Valley – Chapter 10: Promises

I came downstairs with plenty of time to spare but my bride was just a little tardy.  I saw Chris standing beside a huge wedding cake.  So that was his little secret. 

Faith was well worth the wait.  My mother gasped as she saw Faith.  I have to say I choked up a bit too.  She was breathtaking; the dress was very becoming.

My future step-son had either overcome his aversion to step-fathers or had reserved judgement on me.  I hoped for the former as Julian went to his mother and kissed her cheek.  He placed her hand on his arm and guided her over to me.  Then he placed her hand in mine, bowed low to me and respectfully stepped back.  I was incredibly touched by his gesture.

I kissed Faith’s hand and together we walked up to the wedding arch.  I looked directly at Faith and spoke from my heart.

"I, Brandon, am deeply humbled and privileged to take you, Faith, to be my lawful wife.  I pledge to share my life openly with you.  I will endeavour to be there for you and strive to be the husband you need and can depend on." 

"I love your strength and enthusiasm.  I love your optimism, and your lust for life.  I can’t wait to see how the rest of our life together unfolds.   I promise to listen to you, to tenderly care for and cherish you and our children.  I will be a faithful husband and loving father.  I promise to respect you as an individual.  I will love you through good fortune and adversity.  Now and for always, I make this promise to you and to myself, in front of our family, to love and honour, protect and respect you for the rest of my days."

I placed my ring on her finger.  Faith put her hand on mine and looked up at me, her eyes shining with love.

"I, Faith, declare my love for you Brandon, and invite you to share my life as my husband.  I promise always to respect your needs, and to accept you just the way you are.  I will take you in my arms when you need to be held. I will listen when you need to talk. I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sadness.  I promise to share with you my time and attention, and to bring joy, strength and imagination to our relationship." 

"I love your smile, I love your quietness.  I love your sense of honour.  I especially love the way you love me.  I want to be with you and I choose you above all others.  I will work for a happy life for both of us with all I have to give and all I feel inside in the only way I know how, completely and forever.  I promise, before the witnesses here present, to honour this pledge through all the days of our lives together."

When Faith put her ring on my finger and I placed my other hand on hers, I felt fully at peace with my soul.  As much as I had genuinely loved and missed Agnes, I missed being married.  Maybe that is what drove me so hard to bring Agnes back after all those long years.  If Dr Simgund was here now, he’d probably tell me that my id, my ego and my superego all desired to fulfil the role of husband. 

Not so much because of the physical aspects, although they were certainly delightful, I loved the feeling of being one with my life’s partner.  I loved and missed the small things; the spoon cuddles sleeping side by side through the night, seeing that secret smile a woman reserves just for her man, holding my wife in my arms for long slow dances, feeling the beat of her heart against my chest when I hold her, sharing a common goal and working towards it, and being there for each other at the end of a long demanding day and the million other minutiae being married entailed.

It took Faith, with her uninhibited approach to loving to jolt me out of my stupor and breathe life back into my heart.  She beguiled and tempted me, she surprised and shocked me, she exasperated and infuriated me and she broke through my reserve to make me whole again.

I enfolded my new bride in my arms and kissed Faith with all I was feeling, grateful that she thought I was worth the effort. 

“Wow, Brandon,” she said bemused.  “As much as I love our family, I just want to be with you now!”

I whispered to her, “After we cut the cake that Chris brought and since you have so much stamina and a handy dance floor, I would like a bridal waltz.  So behave yourself for a while then I’m all yours.”  Faith arched her brow at me but said nothing. 

She took my hand and as we walked together over to cut the cake, I saw a mischievous smile play over her lips.

Faith and I stood just staring at that enormous cake. 

We cut the cake and all took a slice but after the big family dinner that preceded our wedding, nobody was hungry.  I ate it anyway even though I knew I would feel bloated.  It was my first ever wedding cake. 

When we finished eating, Jamie sifted through Faith’s stack of CD’s.  She found one she liked and put it on.  It was Anne Murray and Jamie winked at me.

I took my lovely bride by the hand and lead her to the dance floor, “Could I have this dance for the rest of my life”, I asked my new bride as the music filled the air. 

Faith smiled as I swept her up in my arms to slow dance to the music.  At the chorus, Faith sang along in a soft contralto, “Would you be my partner every night, when we’re together it feels so right, could I have this dance for the rest of my life.”

My family cheered and joined us on the dance floor.  Faith was a wonderful dancer and I managed not to step on her toes unlike my poor father dancing with mum. 

Julian danced with Diana.  Was Julian being diplomatic not dancing with my sisters?  Whichever one he danced with first would upset the other.  I imagined that I’ve just handed my parents a lively conundrum for the next few years.

After the third dance Faith whispered in my ear, “Enough of the slow dances.  Brandon I think it’s time we said our goodbyes to the family: I’ve got other plans for you and me tonight like...” her voice trailed off.

“Like what?” I asked.

“Have you ever tried it in a haystack?” she asked.

“No” I replied as I looked across at the barn.  But the haystacks were in full view of the patio so thankfully that was not happening.  “How about using a bed instead?” I said.

“I thought you’d never ask.” Faith whispered, “Say goodnight to our family Brandon.”  I shook my head.  My wife has a one track mind.

I sought out Chris but saw dad first, and as Faith said goodbye to Jamie, I overheard snippets of conversation between them.  “Now you’ve procured one of the variables, we’ll leave you two alone to get on with it and do what comes naturally,” Jamie said.  I sighed, Jamie really was a piece of work but Faith just laughed. 

“Have you a name planned for the baby?” Jamie asked.

“Yes,” replied Faith, “I would like to call her Rebekah.”

“Is the name special?” asked Jamie.

“It is our grandmother’s name,” mum interrupted, unshed tears thickening her voice as she spoke to Faith.  “That’s her dress you’re wearing, isn’t it.  I recognise it from our grandparents wedding photo my father kept on the mantelpiece.  The dress looks just perfect on you.”  Mum hugged Faith, “Now, please take Brandon clothes shopping very soon.”  Faith’s response was unintelligible to me.  “Good, no more the man in black for Brandon.  He looks good in blue to match his eyes,” mum said.

I gave dad the keys to Sunny Point cottage and he hugged me in return.  “I’m proud of you son.  You’ve come through a long dark tunnel and made it out the other side.  I worried for you all this time, but your mother believed you needed to find your own way through this.  But we were both concerned that you were taking so long.  You should have seen your mother’s happy dance when Nick Alto rang us with the Sunset Valley gossip.”

“Dad, that’s not the impression I got.  She reprimanded me!” I said puzzled.

“Well, of course she did.  Your mother couldn’t let you know how pleased she was that you did something so shockingly out of character, so let’s keep this between you and me,” he replied.  “She rang Chris straight away then packed us all up and we caught the next plane here.  When you hung up on her when she called you from the air phone on the plane, she told me that you had healed.  Audrey wanted very much to meet the woman who dragged you back from the brink.  When Chris told us about your Faith being her cousin, she was in seventh heaven.  You gave her a new daughter-in-law and a long lost cousin in one package.  You know it’s going to take a fairy granddaughter to top that.

“Hope will be my daughter as much as Diana is.  A new granddaughter is definitely possible, whether she’s a fairy or not is out of our control.”  I cautioned.

“Julian will be a young adult and off your hands soon enough.  Go and say goodnight to your mother while I try and herd those girls into the car.”

I turned to my mother who was still chatting with Faith, “Goodnight mum.  We’ll see you tomorrow at Joshua’s birthday party.” 

Mum kissed me goodnight and whispered a choked, “Thank you for finding Faith and don’t ever hang up on me again.  I don’t call you often, so be a good boy and pick up next time.”  It had been a long time since I considered myself a boy, but I guess to parents, children will always be children.

“Yes mum,” I said contritely.  I saw dad wink at me as mum turned and shepherded my sisters out to the car.

I said my goodbyes to Chris, “Be happy,” he said as he hugged me, “and don’t ever build a pool here.”  I assured him I wouldn’t.

Chris gathered his family and said goodbye to Julian.  Joshua seemed miffed about something.  Had Diana’s new brothers usurped his special place in her affections?  I doubted it, but the pre-teen might be feeling a bit ignored as Diana spent a lot of the evening with her aunts pestering Julian.

Julian had disappeared and so had Diana and the twin toddlers.  I hadn’t even had the chance to cuddle my smallest step-children.  Suddenly my wife and I were alone on the back patio.  She came to me and whispered, “Now!”

“Can you wait just a little longer?  We need to say goodnight to our children,” I said to which she nodded and preceded me into the house.  I followed in her footsteps as she went first upstairs to the rooms of Julian and Keith which were both vacant.  Then Faith and I went into the same room where I had said goodbye to Agnes only hours earlier.  Keith had been reading a book to Diana, who was already deeply asleep.

“Good night father,” he said to me.

“Please call me Brandon or dad,” I said.  Julian smiled and left the room.  I looked at Diana sleeping in that big bed and wondered if she would be more at home in her bunk beds.  I’ll ask her in the morning.  I leaned down and kissed her forehead.  She would be soon getting too old for this so I was going to enjoy it while it lasted.

Then we went downstairs to the nursery.  The twins were asleep in their cots.  They looked adorable.  There is just something about sleeping toddlers that tugs at your heartstrings.  Then Faith leapt into my arms, “Now?” I carried her into the master bedroom.

“What about Keith?” I whispered.

With a dramatic sigh, she led me out through the little conservatory to show me Keith and Julian over at the barn.  Keith was stargazing while Julian sat close to him reading a book projecting his soothing aura around him.  “Julian will stay with him to settle him down and then they will go to bed,” she said.

“Is Keith all right?” I asked wondering when she was going to confide in me about her second son.

“He’s happier here than he was in Moonlight Falls.  He misses Elias.  He loved his step-father.  Give him time, I’m sure he will take to you.  Just let him make the overtures.  I hope you’re a good chess player because he loves to play.”

“I play chess with Diana frequently, but I’m not a master of the game by any stretch of the imagination.” I replied.

“Good, that’s a place to start,” she said, “I can see that you’ll be a good father to our children but are you ready to focus on me now?”

“You have my undivided attention as of now?” I replied kissing her. 

Faith returned my kisses with gusto and we were soon lost in a world of our own.

“Now can we try for a baby girl” she whispered between kisses.

“You do give me all the tough jobs?” I quipped. “Despite what my sister-in-law says, I’m sure I’m capable of fulfilling the task.”

“So let’s find out.” Faith said.

We heard the chimes the first time and I happily fell into an exhausted sleep.  My dreams were all of Faith and how lucky I was to have found love a second time.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 02:00:34 AM »
Wow, persistent, isn't she? :P

Such a beautiful wedding. I do hope that they will be happy together, the two of them and their growing brood of children.

And that Anne Murray song...I so wanted that played at my own wedding but my husband can't stand it. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Louise56

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:03 AM »
The wedding was beautiful! Faith look so lovely. I can't wait for the nooboo! :)

Anna33

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 07:01:42 AM »
That was a truly beautiful scene, congratulations to Brandon and Faith. :)

Crystal

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
Fabulous wedding and fabulous update.  Is Faith's dress store or CC?

I really liked the vows you write.  Can I use some of the words from your vows from Duty Calls and this chapter for my own wedding?

How did you get Faith and Brandon to dance like that?  I only ever get the feet shuffle and stepping on toes interaction.

The latin on the lintel at Quantum is "Quantum in me tuit".  It means approximately "I did as much as I could."  You will see why this latin phrase is significant in the next sequel.

Another sequel - Yes!!!  Promise you're not going to kill off Faith!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »
Fabulous wedding and fabulous update.  Is Faith's dress store or CC?

I really liked the vows you write.  Can I use some of the words from your vows from Duty Calls and this chapter for my own wedding?

How did you get Faith and Brandon to dance like that?  I only ever get the feet shuffle and stepping on toes interaction.

Another sequel - Yes!!!  Promise you're not going to kill off Faith!

Dress - Store - it's called Flowing Frock and part of the Romanza Ceremony & Attire set but I think you can buy it separately.

Vows - Your IRL wedding or a forum story?  Yes to IRL but you're better off with words that are appropriate to you and your fiancee. I wrote vows that seem appropriate to Brandon and Agnes / Brandon and Faith.  Yes with rework to a forum story.  Remember it is plagiarism to quote from one source but research to quote from many.  ;)

Dance - I have no idea.  They just did that.  But Brandon did win King o' the Dance at the Love Day festival when he was married to Agnes.

Sequel - I don't plan on killing anyone.  EA story progression does more than it's fair share.

That was a truly beautiful scene, congratulations to Brandon and Faith. :)

Thanks Anna. 

The wedding was beautiful! Faith look so lovely. I can't wait for the nooboo! :)

Thanks Louise.  I haven't got as far as the nooboo yet.  This family is exhausting to play.

Wow, persistent, isn't she? :P

Such a beautiful wedding. I do hope that they will be happy together, the two of them and their growing brood of children.

And that Anne Murray song...I so wanted that played at my own wedding but my husband can't stand it. :P

Persistent - Yes!  Faith just keep rolling the wishes.  At one point I had her wishes to "Go on a date with Brandon", "Kiss Brandon", "Woohoo with Brandon" and "Have a Baby with Brandon".  She really has a one track mind.  Brandon on the other hand wanted to "Garden", "Fish before 6AM", "Play guitar" and "Play guitar in the Park".  So not interested in his not-so-blushing-bride.

I think that Anne Murray has been on the playlist of most weddings I've been to.  I couldn't have it at my wedding.  I've been married too long.  My husband and I still dance to it to this day.  He has a lovely baritone and always sings me the words.  That's who gave me that idea.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Awwwwww. So cute! But, er, Faith knows what she wants doesn't she!
I predict that...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Crystal

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
Vows - Your IRL wedding or a forum story?  Yes to IRL but you're better off with words that are appropriate to you and your fiancee. I wrote vows that seem appropriate to Brandon and Agnes / Brandon and Faith.  Yes with rework to a forum story.  Remember it is plagiarism to quote from one source but research to quote from many. 

Haha My IRL wedding!  May 4.  Actually your words fit Michael and sort of fit me too.  I showed him your story and he says he wants to marry Faith!  ::)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
Haha My IRL wedding!  May 4.  Actually your words fit Michael and sort of fit me too.

Sure, I guess if it fits.  I'm flattered you like my writing that much.   ;D

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Islands of Sunset Valley Chapter 11: Faith's Story
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »
Islands of Sunset Valley – Chapter 11: Faith's Story

I woke and the bed beside me was empty.  This was disconcerting to say the least.  A quick shower and I went into the nursery.  The cots were empty.  There was no sound in the house except the clock.  Not even a radio.  I remembered this house design isolates sounds poorly as it has so many rooms opening into one another through arches rather than doorways.  So the quiet was unexpected and unsettling.

In the kitchen someone had made coffee.  I grabbed a cup and went to the garden to find Julian not Faith harvesting the new vegetables.  I asked if he wanted any help but he shook his head, “No thanks dad.  I need the work to increase my skill.” 

I was pleased to hear him call me dad so naturally.  “We’ve eaten.  Did you have some breakfast?”  I shook my head and he tossed me a watermelon with a huge grin then a wink.  I wasn’t really hungry but I ate it to please him.

I had never particularly envied Chris his sons but I thought it was going to be fun to have some.  I eyed that basketball hoop and promised myself that I’d use it soon.

At the fishing pond I saw Diana with Keith chatting happily as they fished together.  They were hitting it off really well.  I was wondering where Faith was when I heard the squeal of children’s laughter coming from the playground.  I walked over there to see Faith playing with Leon on a bumblebee ride while Hope played with a stuffed toy.

“Good morning darling,” she said as she approached me and kissed my lips.  “I hope you slept well.  Unfortunately, the sounds carry in that house so I brought the twins outside so you could sleep in.”

“Thanks Faith, that was considerate of you.”  I said feeling somewhat foolish that I had felt anxious about waking alone.  “What would you like to do today before the morning sickness hits?”  I picked up Hope and cuddled her.  Hope looks so much like my little sister Deborah except for the wings.  Obviously the female genetic material in that family was incredibly resilient.  Even my sister Rosalie looks just like mum.

“Oh, that’s no problem, I won’t get morning sickness, I have Simmunity” she said smiling.  “I thought we’d just relax and wind down before Joshua’s party.  Jamie said it was for 2:00 p.m.  Your mother thinks I should take you shopping but is there anything you’d particularly like to do today?”

“I thought we could spend some time getting to know each other better.” I said.

“Yes please!” she whispered giving me a long mind-numbing kiss.  “I’ll ask Julian to keep one eye on the twins.”  Before I could correct her misguided assumption she flittered over to Julian.  I have the uneasy feeling we’ll be talking at cross purposes often, so I made a mental note to be more circumspect about how I phrase things.

She was back in a moment.  “Have you ever tried it in a hot tub?” she asked mischievously taking my hand and leading me back into the house.

“Faith, you’re incorrigible and as you’re now pregnant, you can’t get into a hot tub.  Do you think we could just talk?” I asked

“Oh, are you still tired?” she pouted.

“No.  I’m well rested,” I replied.

“Are you hungry?” she asked.

“No.” I replied.

“Good, let’s get to know each better, then we can talk.” she assured me leading me back to the master bedroom.  There’s nothing wrong with Faith’s energy.

Before she found the energy to distract me again, I said.  “Now, my darling, let’s just talk.”  I wasn’t sure where to start as I had so many questions about a lot of things.  I didn’t want to just jump in with the twenty questions, so I asked about Keith because I was very concerned about him.

“Forgive me if I’m out of place talking about this,” I said hesitantly, “but despite my unfavourable remarks about Jamie’s crassness she really is a talented surgeon and my grandfather Arthur St Clair is a World Renown Surgeon.  I’m sure between them they can help Keith or at least know an ophthalmologist or someone else who can.”

“Thank you for your concern but it’s not necessary.” she said awkwardly.  “There’s nothing wrong with Keith and his eyesight is fine.  He has his father’s eyes but he is sensitive about being different, so he wears the dark glasses to hide his eyes and also to keep people at a distance.”

“What about his skin colour?  I’ve never seen a Sim with skin that colour.”

“He inherited his father’s skin tone?” she replied.

“Tell me about your first husband,” I asked, trying the open question approach since the direct questions weren’t getting me anywhere.

“Tepeq was an alien.  He abducted me 4 times before he worked up the nerve to tell me how much he liked me.  I told him that if he really liked me to stop the probing, as I didn’t appreciate it.  He asked me out on a date and we went to the museum.  He was fascinated.  We sort of dated off and on for a year.  Tepeq was extremely intelligent and very amusing in his quiet way.  I was lonely and asked him to move in with me.  When he confessed he was in love with me, we became lovers,” she said.

“Tepeq frequently asked me to marry him but I was commitment shy at that time in my life.  By the time we were expecting Julian, Tepeq was an elder.  He convinced me it would be better for the baby if we married.  So we did.  We were happy together.  He was a very loving father and husband.  His death was unexpected and very painful.” She said with a catch in her voice.

“So tell me about Elias,” I said.

“I had known Elias all my life.  I think he had been in love with my sister, Charity,” she began.  Whoa... back up, sister!  Another thing I didn’t know about her.  But Faith continued before I had the chance to say anything, “I met Elias again at a friend’s wedding after Tepeq died, Elias was very kind.  A lot of the people in Moonlight Falls were cruel about Julian and Keith’s father being an alien but he defended me. 

We danced half that evening together.  He had a very gentle soul.  He often called at my house after that.  He was really good with Keith.  He worried about me leaving the boys at home alone when I worked at the restaurant and he came over to keep an eye on them.”

“Since he began spending so much time at my house, we really got to know one another.  He told me he deeply regretted that he had always been too shy and never married.  When he first asked me to marry him, I refused.  I didn’t feel that way about him.  But it was clear that he felt that way about me. 

He was a charming and uncomplicated companion.  Since I did want more children before Julian and Keith became much older, when he asked me again, I married him.  If you’re thinking I felt guilty for not loving him, you’d be wrong.  I admired and respected him.  He knew I wasn’t in love with him and he was happy just being married and he loved being a step-father.  When we had Hope and Leon he was ecstatic. 

Every day of our marriage Elias told me how much he loved me and thanked me for being his wife.  When he was murdered, I grieved for myself and especially for Keith who had lost the only father he knew.”

“People can be so cruel to innocent children.  They can say what they like about me but not about my children.  I couldn’t stay in Moonlight Falls anymore.  My father came to see me briefly.  He has been living in Lunar Lakes but trying to find out what happened to my mother’s family in Simfield.  He asked for my help as no-one was willing to tell him anything.”

“So the children and I went there briefly, I didn’t have any more success than my father did.  Keith felt a shadow over the town which made him tense and agitated.  I received an anonymous phone call that I might find what I was looking for in Twinbrook.  The Bakers there were not our family.  They told me there were more Bakers in Sunset Valley, so we came here.  The Baker family who lived here were also not the Bakers I was looking for.  Since we drew another blank and Keith liked it here in the Valley we decided to stay.  The rest you know.”

“Okay I’m picking up a theme here.” I said cautiously.  “I’m not only curious why you marry elderly men you don’t love just to have children when you could adopt or get medical intervention to have babies.  I’m also curious why you didn’t want to wait to fall in love and marry like everyone else, then have children.”

Faith didn’t look at me as she replied, “I never wanted to fall in love.  I saw what it did to people.  My father was a prime example.  He loved my human mother.  When she died of old age, he was only just an adult.

He deeply grieved her passing but has never really moved on.  He’s had a few relationships over the years but has not remarried.  Initially I thought that it was romantic, that he loved my mother so much.  I can still easily picture mum and dad cuddling at the Fae Ray Arboretum in Moonlight Falls.” 

“But when my older sister Charity fell in love and married a wizard I saw another side of love” she began. 

“Charity adored her philandering husband and forgave him affair after affair.  Charity’s lifetime wish had been to be surrounded by family but her husband, Myles, disliked children and would not give Charity the babies she wanted nor allow her to adopt.  When he eventually left, I asked Charity to return home and live with dad and me.  I told her that she could adopt and dad and I would help her look after her baby.”

Faith sobbed into my shoulder.  “Charity said she didn’t want to live like dad through a long lifetime without the partner she loved by her side.  That last night, when I left her house, I really thought she was considering my solution.  Sometime in that terrible night, she swallowed an elixir to Forsake the Fae and become a normal Sim.  Then she tried to repair a broken dishwasher.”  Faith’s voice faltered. 

After a minute or two she continued in a tight small voice barely above a whisper, “I think Charity knew there was a good chance she could die repairing that dishwasher as a human with no handiness skill.  I believe she did it deliberately.” Faith sobbed anew.  I held Faith while she cried for her sister.

“My father refused to believe Charity could have done that but I think that dishwasher broke and instead of doing a fairy repair, she saw a different solution and chose death.”

Brushing aside her tears she continued, “I swore then that I would never risk my heart and fall in love.  I also realised that I was alone in Moonlight Falls for the first time and I didn’t like it.  Charity’s wish for children soon became mine.  I wanted children of my own but there are social norms where marriage and children go hand in hand.  As I was never in love with my husbands, I thought I had the perfect answer to everything.  My husbands were happy and I had the children I wanted.  They were good men and I loved each of them in my own way and I genuinely grieved their passing.”

“I had wanted a sister for Hope.  Julian and I discussed the father issue.  He was adamant he did not want to see me grieve for another husband passing and suggested I marry a Fairy or a vampire who would not die so quickly.  I didn’t want to marry any of the fairies or vampires I knew.  Besides, to marry someone you are not in love with is much easier on your conscience; if you know it may only be for a short while.”

“Older men realise what they’ve missed in their lives, they generally know what they want and they value people more.  The only man in Sunset Valley who met my criteria was Gobias Koffi and I just didn’t fancy him at all.  He was a bit too flirty and something of a party animal.  I don’t like either trait.”

“Julian begged me not to marry another human.  At Julian’s suggestion; I registered at the hospital for artificial insemination.  Dr Jamie Steel was my Gene Therapist and she scheduled some tests.  I actually believed I was immune to falling in love until you came along with your sad smile and steel blue eyes.  I told myself it was lust at first sight.  But you soon turned my preconceived world upside down.” She said wryly.

“I think I was initially attracted to your innate sadness.  When we were talking over coffee at the coffeehouse, I was becoming more and more certain that I wanted you to be the father of my baby.  You really listened to me prattle on about my children and wanting a baby.  I thought you understood me like no other man before.  When you kissed me at the theatre, I knew you were attracted to me too.  Then you seduced me in the theatre, and I was sure we would be good together.”

“Excuse me,” I said startled, “Back up a minute.  Who seduced who in the theatre?”  Faith would never hear from me that I hadn’t listened to her prattle on as intently as she imagined.

“You seduced me with your eyes.  Every time I said something to you, you were looking at my lips.  I really wanted you to kiss me again.  When I asked you to either stop looking at me like that or kiss me and put me out of my misery, you kissed me so thoroughly that I just about melted on the spot.  Then we started making out, and I knew I was way out of my depth.  When you started unzipping my dress, I didn’t want you to stop.”  As she explained her version, I could see in her eyes that she believed every word she said.

Snippets of different memories of that day surfaced.  I’m sure I remember that she had my shirt undone long before I touched her dress.  I think we were both way out of our depth that day.  I remember lucidly every kiss and touch and thinking back dispassionately and with the benefit of hindsight, it has been a mutual and equal meltdown - two people desperately in love and deeply in denial.

I regret that it happened on a public lot which ruined both our reputations but had she invited me back to Quantum, it wouldn’t have happened at all.  Maybe fate just lined us up.  In a public place, I was less on my guard and more open to stimuli.  I don’t think Faith is too constrained by anything as simple as location or social mores.

“Tell me why you wanted a baby so soon after Elias death.” I asked neutrally, hoping she hadn’t already covered this subject on the day we met when she thought I listened so attentively to her.

“So I could fill up the house with children.  If I had a full house, I couldn’t marry again even if I wanted to.  But when I met you I changed my mind.  I told Julian I’d met someone special and I was going to cancel the fertility clinic appointment.  I rang Jamie and told her I may not need medical intervention to have a baby.  I asked Jamie if she knew you but she said she couldn’t tell me anything, as you were her patient too.  She did say that she would still run the tests through the lab and keep my appointment on the books, which lead me to believe that you were unavailable.”

“As you know, I hadn’t heard the rumours that were circulating.  Nick Alto and Gobias Koffi came calling that evening, so I asked them about you.  Both said you were a recluse in love with your late wife.  Gobias told me that you had cut yourself off from everybody but your family.  He portrayed you as a rather tragic if pathetic figure.”

“On the other hand, Nick left me with the impression that he thought you were weak and an idiot.  I realised that neither wanted to paint you in a positive light.  But that only served to increase my interest because I saw none of that in you.  I thought you were sociable, intelligent and funny and a very passionate lover.”

“Since I knew from the theatre that you weren’t totally immune to me, I hoped I still had a chance to have my baby.  But you were so touchy yesterday morning when you came here, I wasn’t so sure anymore.  When I asked you bluntly to be my baby’s father, I saw that flash of heat in your eyes.  The more we talked about it, the more I could see how tightly you tried to control your emotions; I knew that you were not totally against the idea.  It was only when you were so abrupt when you finally refused my request that I really saw how much you did care.  I realised that I pushed you too hard too soon.  I thought I could just bide my time and you’d come round.”

“When I saw you asleep in the sun and realised the consequences of that, I became really frightened.  I tried to tell myself it was because if you’d died that I’d lose my primary choice for my baby’s father but I knew I was fooling myself.  I knew for certain then that I loved you as surely as the sun rises.  I didn’t want to face how I felt about you.  That was a door I didn’t want to open if I didn’t have to, but I wanted my baby before you did something else stupid and die on me.”

“So why did it take five proposals to get you to marry me?” I asked puzzled.

“I did promise Julian that I wouldn’t marry again in haste, but the truth was - I was scared!  I was in love with a human.  I never wanted to be in love with anyone let alone a human who would die of old age before I even reached adulthood.”

Faith looked at me, with tears swimming in her beautiful eyes and lips swollen more from her biting them than my kisses, “I do love you just the way you are but you’re already an adult.  So I’m asking you from my heart, will you take this.” She handed me a gift box, “It’s a Bottled Blessing of the Fae.  Become a fairy and live with me and love me all the days of my life because there are not enough days left of yours to give me the time I need to have with you.

“Faith we will have all the time in the world.  Let’s just see how this life pans out.  If deathflowers, Ambrosia, Young Again potions and Elixirs aren’t enough we can take this step.” I said hesitantly.

“It’s fun to be a fairy,” she said.  “You’ll like it”.

“Let’s just put this decision on hold for a while and let me get used to the only three fairies I know.  I love you as you are and I would never ask you to forsake the Fae.” 

“Well good, I don’t ever want to but I also don’t plan on leaving you with enough energy left to stray,” she said

“Faith, listen to me.” I said.  “I love you.  I am not your ex-brother in law.  I’m not flirty or charismatic.  Trust me, I will never do anything intentionally that’ll break your heart because it would break mine too.  Believe in me and our love and we’ll work through your fears.  I promise you I won’t ever cheat on you.  If you ask my brother, he’ll tell you than I’m pretty much a one woman kind of guy.”

“Oh Brandon, I guess I am being paranoid,” she said.  “Please be patient with me, I’ve never been in love before and it wonderful but it’s painful too.  I never expected that.  I think of losing you and I just can’t bear it.”

“Faith that works both ways,” I said holding her.  “We have a great basic foundation.  We’ll build on that day after day as we learn each other’s peculiarities, our likes and dislikes and what makes each other tick.  As long as we talk about the things that bother us, we’ll make it.”

“Well it bothers me that you have so many clothes on,” she whispered in my ear.

“I can rectify that,” I assured her and I did.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
All of the sudden it all becomes more clear. I have a lot more respect for Faith, and for their relationship. They are two broken and hurting people who found love again in each others' arms. Hopefully they can both work through their anxieties.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
So, that's what happened! I hope they can come to a good fix for their predicament. I think Brand on should become a fairy, but I love fairies!

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Crystal

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »
Poor Faith.  Such a sad backstory.  Here's hoping baby Rebekah will be a fairy.

Louise56

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
Poor Faith, I can understand that she is afraid something will happen to Brandon. Great update!

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
Oh no! I ran out of story! Quick Magz, write more! ;)
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04