Author Topic: Islands of Sunset Valley: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 23529 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Islands of Sunset Valley Chapter 13: Birthdays
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
Is that the simming view on it as well, like can they partake in romantic actions together?

I actually got the idea for that conversation because there were no 'romantic' interactions available between Diana and Joshua.  They are simply not on the conversation wheel.  I wanted Di to ask Joshua to the prom but no deal.

I did make Brandon out of the 'twin' option when I put Chris Steel into CAS at the very beginning.  They had the 'brother' relationship in my old game and Diana and Joshua had the cousin relationship.  When I moved them to a new unglitched Sunset Valley, they lost all relationships so I thought it would be okay but obviously not.

Those consanguinity laws are real not my writer's license invention.  Maybe EA uses that table to limit certain interactions.  I have no mods so I can't override the EA programming.  But I thought it was a nice arc for Diana and Joshua to explore.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Crystal

Re: Islands of Sunset Valley Chapter 13: Birthdays
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
I can't get my teenagers to have any romantic interactions either.  Maybe it's not because they are cousins with 2 degrees of seperation, maybe it's just because they are teenagers.  My teenager somehow ended up taking his grandfather to the prom and that was totally weird.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Islands of Sunset Valley: Epilogue
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
Islands of Sunset Valley – Epilogue

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.  If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were.  As well as if a manor of thine own or of thine friend's were.  Each man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.”  Extracted from Meditations #17 – John Donne (1623)

Dear Diary,

As Keith and I packed our boxes to go to university, I found that little essay I wrote for Ms McIrish, now Mrs Briody, all those years ago.  I showed it to Keith.

Keith read it and pointed out that our dad may once have been an island adrift from the mainstream of humanity, but today he stands a headland, proud and strong against the ravages of time and tide.

The Isthmus of Diana is no more.  Sheltering in the lea of the headland, the love of family and friends replenished the lost clods to form a cove where gentle waves lap the sun drenched beach.  The cove connects the headland to the mainland.  Atop that strong headland stands a lighthouse, our mum Faith, a beacon of light, guiding lost ships in the night to the safety of the cove.

I often wonder how things might have panned out if dad had been able to resurrect the ghost of my birth mother, Agnes.  Would he be the person his is today?  No, certainly not.  Grandpa St Clair said that Agnes had been the strong person in that relationship and dad had been devoted to her.  Would he have been happy?  Undoubtedly, but he would most probably not have had the life experiences to make him the tower of strength he is today.

At Julian’s high school graduation, Mrs Briody read a beautiful poem by Brian A ‘Drew” Chalker; saying that people come into our life for a reason, a season or a lifetime

Agnes came into my dad’s life for a reason.  To help, guide and support him to come to terms with his childhood, embrace adulthood and begin the physical and emotional journey he needed to make.  Agnes showed him how love between a man and a woman felt and gave him the foundation and scaffolding to develop and build the father we love. 

I like to believe that deep down, Agnes knew her role in the journey of dad’s life and that her work was done.  I believe that is why she never returned to him.  Not because of a glitch so she couldn’t or because she didn’t want to, but because she knew, ultimately, that she shouldn’t.

Our family; my brothers, sisters and I, together with our grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and all, will transit dad’s life for a season. 

We’ve helped him to grow and learn what being a parent and family unit entails.  We bring him joy and fulfillment in a way he could not have experienced on his own and we have tested the strength of his character on more than one occasion and, no doubt, will do so again. 

But as with all family, our transit in and out of his life will be cyclical, because we are the seasons: winter, spring, summer, and fall.  We’ll come and go like the waves upon the sand.  We’ll leave interesting tidewater marks, pretty seashells and probably the odd bit of flotsam and jetsam just to keep him interested in walking along the beach.

But our mum Faith will be there with our dad for his lifetime, however long he chooses that to be. 

With her strength and love, he has found inner peace and contentment.  Faith’s boundless energy gave him the strength to match her enthusiasm and passion.  Faith is the light of his heart, his life and his lifetime.

But without the lessons learned from Agnes and our family, Faith’s liveliness would most likely have intimidated and repelled the young Brandon St Clair who first came to Sunset Valley all those years ago.  It was with Faith’s love and ingenuity that enabled dad to overcome his self imposed exile and with her blessing, grow beyond his programming to become the successful romance writer he is today.

Part of dad’s success as an author is surely the sheer breadth of material our family constantly provides him; including my cousins Lexi Goth and Joshua’s Steel surprise elopement on Lexi’s graduation day.  Then Lexi’s brother Morty was finally able to win Bella Bachelor over and marry her. 

But it is my brother Julian with his Secret Agent lifestyle, his dashing good looks and his romantic escapades which are the perfect fodder for dad’s books.  Although Julian swears dad has taken his literary license too far and given him a romantic reputation he hasn’t earned, the JK Chronicles are gaining popularity and have made the Best Seller list.  I personally can’t wait for the next installment.

Thankfully dad has restrained his wit and his pen to leave the rest of us out of print.  Although Hope with her fabulous figure and friendly nature sure attracts a lot of male attention.  Dad says he’s scanning the consignment store for a cattle prod.

I wanted to go to University not only to get an education but to meet some nice guys, and to keep an eye on Keith.  He wants to go to max out the Science Skill and hopefully find more aliens from his father’s home world. 

Am I looking for someone tall dark and handsome?  You bet, but also short; blond, brunette or redhead and average looking, is fine if he’s nice.  If I don’t meet the man of my dreams at university maybe I’ll meet him as I travel around the world with my sketchbook and easel.  Wish me luck.

So for me and you dear diary, it’s goodnight and farewell to Quantum... for now

Diana Crumplebottom-Baker

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: Islands of Sunset Valley: Epilogue (Completed)
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
I'm losing lots of bookmarks this week <.<.

Wonderful end to a wonderful story. I'll miss Brandon and co though.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
Ohh, great story!
I loved every minute of it.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
Beautiful ending, and well wrapped up.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Crystal

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
This story was well written and had all the elements I love about your writing.  I sort of hoped it would go on for a while longer but the ending left open a number of sequels that I'm looking forward to you writing, more fabulous beautiful love stories. Magz you rock!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
This made me tear up for certain. You recapped Brandon's experiences beautifully. He truly has grown as a character so much since we first saw him in Duty Calls. Such a likable guy, one that very much deserves his happy ending.

Diana embarks on her own journey now, her own life. The cycle continues, unabated.

Such a wonderful ending to a wonderful story! I absolutely, undoubtedly love these two tales. You truly are an inspirational writer!

Anna33

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
I really enjoyed reading this amazing story, are you secretly a professional author? :D

Brandon has grown so much since we first saw him as RaiaDraconis rightly said.
How wonderfully wrapped up.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:26 AM »
Thank you all so much for your lovely comments.  No I'm not a professional author but it was always my lifelong wish to be one. 

Yes I purposely left this story open for sequels.  I have several in mind and after the Bachelorette is over, will work at one of them.  In the meantime, which sequel or spinoff do the forum readers want first?

Beyond the X-Files:  Keith’s adventure to find his father’s home world and the answers to life, the universe and everything.

Have Sketchbook, Will Travel: Diana’s misadventures in finding true love in all the wrong places.

JK Chronicles:  Mythbuster - Human by day, fairy after hours, Julian’s secret life as Landgraab’s Science Facility’s top secret agent and myth buster. 

JK Chronicles:  The Hunt for the Alchemist - Julian investigates what really happend to Agnes Crumplebottom and other inexplicable deaths. 

JK Chronicles:  The Timetraveller's Children - Who is Gobias Koffi really and why does he claim he is actually Elias Stavros-Kalamia.

JK Chronicles:  Whatever happended to...: Julian unites with his grandfather Leonidas Kalamia to investigate why his aunt Charity and grandmother Deborah's tombstones have gone missing.

In My Cousin's Shadow:  The Lexi Goth story

There are more stories in my mind but they involve other characters, such as Leopold Mountbatten who is currently featuring in the Bachelorette, Saffron Reynolds, Simon Tam (Firefly aficionados need no introduction) but to name a few.

So dear readers, have your say where I go next.

Magz

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Louise56

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »
Wonderful ending! If I should choose one to read about, I choose Keith. ;)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
Gasp! Simon Tan! Will Kaylee be with him? I hope so!

Thos all sound really good, I think you should write them all ;D
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
Gasp! Simon Tan! Will Kaylee be with him? I hope so!

Thos all sound really good, I think you should write them all ;D

Who could have Simon Tam without Kaylee (or River for that matter)? 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Crystal

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
Wonderful ending! If I should choose one to read about, I choose Keith. ;)

Me too!  An X-Files and Hitchhikers cross, now that sounds interesting.  I vote for Keith  ;D

Crystal

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
I was just in this thread to get those vows and couldn't help but re-read the whole thing.  It really is a wonderful story. 

I took a good look at your characters and I'm pretty sure that Alastair is also Leopold from Ombradellarosa's Bachelorette story.  If you won't post Leopold, can you post Alastair or at least Brandon.  He is so sweet.