Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1076826 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #765 on: March 19, 2011, 03:03:03 AM »
I wouldn't say it was a terrible house for a first build.  It's definitely better than my first lol.  I think it could use a couple more windows.  I'm not sure if there's an actual "rule" on that, but the one I try to follow is to put at least one in each wall of a room when that wall is adjacent to the outdoors.  It also helps a lot with daytime lighting.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #766 on: March 19, 2011, 03:45:16 AM »
My first build was a box. I'm sure of that.
This is my first house that nobody shall live in. It is there aesthetically. Also, something to plop into other games. ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Shenice93

« Reply #767 on: March 19, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »
Wow that first build is way better than my own. My first "mansion" look a lot like the houses little kids draw. A box with a triangle on top. I have to agree with Hosfac about the windows. I looked at your pictures in the gallery and the interior looks good as well. My only thing is I'm not exactly clear on the purpose of the electricity, steam, and fire traps. I know the electricity could be used as a simbot charging station, but I'm not sure about the others.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #768 on: March 19, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
The steam trap is for explosions with the inventing bench, and the fire trap is there to... Create custom ghosts. I've got to put a rug on that one. (So it catches alight).

Shenice93

« Reply #769 on: March 19, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
oooooh! I feel a little slow now. :D

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #770 on: March 20, 2011, 05:50:31 AM »

It's amazing what landscaping can do to ease your nerves about an exterior.  So I aimed to complement the existing vicinity of the lot and went mountainous and woodsy with hints of modern.

In the back I trimmed the upper patio down to a walkway for a hefty first floor patio area.

Particularly happy with how this landscaping installment turned out so here's a close-up.

So how about them loft spaces?  I dabbled with a bit of industrial motif but a sort of cabin/modern ended up prevailing.  I might go back and try just a little bit of industrial.  I actually replaced that flame statue with one of the metal sculptures from ambitions sometime after taking this screenshot so... who knows.   ;D

Rounding out my efforts for the night, directly underneath the loft I built a suite of rooms serving as the master bath.  Includes an antechamber with washer/dryer, leading to the toilet (accessible to guests) first left, and through the curtains, into the dressing room and bath.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #771 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
I love what you do with the rooms.  The bathroom with a dressing room looks awesome!  Likewise, the landscaping compliments the exterior nicely.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

LoveEvil

« Reply #772 on: March 20, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
LoveEvil,  first, has anyone welcomed you to the forum?  Welcome! 

I adore the cottage!  I have completely remodeled the nectar making shack in the abandoned nectary to be a little girl's dreamhouse, all with that wonderful set.  I did have to use a few extras, like curtains, from other things, but for the most part I used all of the two sets items.  I just wish there were more!  I left my things in shades of yellow since that is her favorite color, but your use of a deep red/burgundy and white is perfect!  The garden area is adorable and totally fits in with the scheme of the cottage.  I LOVE the windows and that tall table with the lamp on it.  Is that lamp a Flora's Funky lamp or part of the set?  I admit I haven't looked for that except for the teapot lights.  I used the queen's bathroom stuff in my bathroom but the more modern stuff you used fits in just right as well.   Now I have to try and do another but this time with recolors and more than just one, huge room.  Great job. 

danefaith, I agree with the shades of grey needing tweaking and a post under the frieze but it's looking to be another masterpiece.  Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thank you for the welcome and the nice comments. The lamp is the crazy tall lamp from the hourglass set. I am thinking I might have to do another one too that includes the bathroom stuff but can't decide on colours either. Do you have any pictures of the one you made? Would be interested to them if you do. :)

danefaith, I like the colours and style of your build. The landscaping works well with it too.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #773 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »
I felt like doing some buidling today and I lao dup my game to find out that my Buiding Save Game with all my projets and WIPs etc. is broken. Such a bummer!  :( I was even starting to like my Club that I was building.  :-\
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Shenice93

« Reply #774 on: March 20, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
That sucks samoht! That has happened to me a couple of times and I know the feeling. I think I cried a little when one of the files had this really big superstar/california/beach house I was working on. I felt like dying after that.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #775 on: March 20, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
This is exactly why I always maintain multiple saves of every game (at different times, in case of bugs), and I keep backups of all my saves on a flash drive and update the backups daily.  I've had this happen far too many times.  :(

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #776 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »
I made this just now but I don't know, it looks a bit of a heap to me. Even if it is still just a WIP.  :-X

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #777 on: March 20, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
I think that house has a very interesting look about it.  What really strikes me is the open entrance way.

Shenice93

« Reply #778 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
Very interesting place samoht! I'm not quite sold on the railing on the roof. It seems a bit much too me. Other than that it looks amazing.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #779 on: March 20, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
Yeah I only put it there because there will be a roof deck but probably on the right of the building. There is a large Courtyard in the middle of the House after that Archway as well. The left side is the main house with a few rooms on the right.

anything