Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1076868 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #795 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
@Hosfac, actually, I based this house on the neighborhood I live in, where second story additions are common, they're usually siding instead of the first story brick, but thanks for the advice. Puffy? Hmm, I'll see what I can do about that... I'd even out the pitch on the second floor, but when I do I get gaps or a funny pitch line of the second floor. :P

Ok, I didn't realize you were going with a particular theme in mind.  ;)  And yeah, I get the gaps sometimes too and suspected that might be why you hadn't done it.  Occasionally when I get gaps, I can get them to go away by adjusting the entire height of the roof a little bit.  A lot of times, however...it doesn't work lol.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #796 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
So, after a bit more work with the landscaping and toning down the 'puffiness', this is what I have. I still need to do something about those windows, but I want to figure out these flowers first.

Firstly, I got rid of the big bushes by the tree and used two smaller ones and some ground flowers for effect. I also used the light dirt paint to get some realism. Secondly, I extended the path border over to the second path leading to the driveway and added flowers there. I also changed the flower scheme a bit and, while I feel it's sparse, it's a nice improvement. I also added a smaller tree on the other side of the driveway near the bush for some extra foliage, and added some flowers and rocks there. There's also a bush up in the garage fencing that's new, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I just wanted something else in that empty space.

EDIT: Hmm, looking at the first tree I still think it's too much. I need to tone that down a bit more. Thoughts?
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »
Pull the larger bushes closer to the tree.  They're extending the perimeter of the landscaping installment too far beyond the tree, which is what I feel is causing this sense of, well, "poof."  Pulling them in closer might assist.

As for your window, try slighter taller windows above the garage, like ventana suave, and I would echo Joria's suggestion of shutters.  The two windows on both sides of the front entrance I think could be two square large windows: like Sir Cunningham window.

For window alignment, I follow a few guidelines for traditionals.   Line your second story windows up with your first story windows and exterior doors, and don't put windows right next to corners.  Try to be symmetric when plausible.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #798 on: March 22, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »
Pressing on, I tackled the first floor!

The foyer in a nice modern asian with the prevailing wine and pink colors.

Attached to the foyer is a bathroom and tool room where the trash cans are.

Continuing through the open floor plan you see the dining area.  I connected a bunch of tables to create a ring shape with a tiny slit.  Underneath the table are floor lights, so light shines up through!

Of course the kitchen.

On the other side of the grand foyer is a closet, the elevator and snooker room.

There was a mischievious 2x2 slot that didn't incorporate into the space of any of the adjacent rooms, and instead of leaving it as blank space, I turned it into a functional sort of closet: basically a tastefully cluttered 2x2 with the world adventures treasure chest in it, so that it actually serves as storage space.

Now I could declare myself done, but I felt adventurous and built a basement to install a few occupational rooms.

I like to ask myself: If I were the resident of the house, what would be my lifetime wish?  I answered that question with Descendant of Da Vinci by adding a laboratory and sculpting studio.

As much as you've enjoyed this one Joria, I hope the griity industrial ammenities down here don't stave your interest too much, hehe!

The laboratory features the ever popular simbot recharging station and an emergency shower.  Fad-tastic!  ;D

And... PHEW!  Now I'm done!  Your final words are appreciated.  I'm going to do a final round of touch ups before calling it finito.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #799 on: March 22, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
@Danefaith- Your new house is amazing! I really like the way you stashed away the trash cans and how you built the storage room. The backyard also looks great. Simbot recharging stations really do seem to be the latest fad, but they are practical. Could you show a closer shot of the kitchen?

@DeNile- That house is very charming. I love the look of the brick and siding. Be sure to post pictures of the interior once you're done. :)

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #800 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
Thanks Micler, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  And glad you liked the 2x2 rooms.  They were inspired by the most potent force of all: anger.  ;D  I absolutely hate those trash cans!  It feels like no matter where I plop them in the landscaping they're going to detract from the overall quality.  One day I just created a little 2x2 on a build and hid them away, and the tool room evolved from there.

Here's some better shots of the kitchen btw, hope they help:

Shenice93

« Reply #801 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
I...I...think I'm in love...with that kitchen! ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #802 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Thanks, Danefaith. The kitchen looks great, along with the rest of the house! :) My only suggestion would be to not have the bar counter extend into the drink rack along the wall.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #803 on: March 23, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »
Looks goofy?  I was trying to make it look like the rack was an extension of the counter, but... yeah most people aren't agreeing.  ;D  one hair brained scheme to scrap, lol.

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #804 on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
Yeah, the trash cans irritate me also. I usually just put them at the end of the walkway, by the sidewalk. It's much more efficient to have them right in the house, though, and it looks realistic. I see what you were going for in the kitchen, and it's a good idea. Too bad the rack covers so much of the cabinet.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #805 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:35 AM »
I absolutely hate those trash cans!  It feels like no matter where I plop them in the landscaping they're going to detract from the overall quality.  One day I just created a little 2x2 on a build and hid them away, and the tool room evolved from there.

I was having this identical thought just today as I was laying the plans for my legacy house!  Occasionally, I can make them fit into the general scheme of things (and by "occasionally," I mean almost never), but usually I just have to grit my teeth and endure their presence.  It was especially true with my legacy, because I was going with the optional "family trait" rule, and the trait was eco-friendly.  I could have tolerated maybe a recycle bin, but that regular trash can was irking me to no end whatsoever. 

Now, I don't have to tolerate either!  I'm glad they don't have the money to start any serious building yet lol.

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #806 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:19 AM »
Thanks heaps Joria ;D
I might work on the front a bit after my dynasty game has finished. The main point of the house was to have less clutter and unneeded objects so that my game would stop crashing.

And Danefaith, I really like your house!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #807 on: March 23, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
danefaith - your house is awesome as always - except for that room with the foosball - i must admit I don't like that one at all.

denile - altogether your house looks quite charming. I would recommend changing the windows as already suggested (white with shutters - some windows come with shutters, and I think there are also some separate shutters under curtains). I find the tree with all the multi-coloured flowers to the left outside the fence to be quite distracting. I would only have a tree and bush there, myself. But over all, I like. I wouldn't change the clapboard/bricks.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #808 on: March 23, 2011, 02:29:24 AM »
Oh lol the snooker room?  I was running out of room ideas.   :D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #809 on: March 23, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »
danefaith - your house is awesome as always - except for that room with the foosball - i must admit I don't like that one at all.

I don't think the room looks bad...just a little bit "full."