Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1083502 times)

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2011, 04:44:21 AM »

You were definitely right Palindrome, the left extension needed some tweaking, made it two story.  Which means space for another room, yay!  I think I pulled together the front as well.

Although I didn't realize the pool would be well received.  I'll probably put it back in later edits.

And lol, Ausette, I must admit, I've already used a handful of late night items!  :D Perhaps I'll limit myself to just that expansion, and see how it turns out.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2011, 04:56:17 AM »
danefaith, I don't know how, but your build has just inspired me! I have an idea for an impossible build! It might not work, but I'm going to try!

Anyway, I cannot think of any way you can make that building better. I am truly speechless.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »
Awesome!  Well I wish you luck and do make sure to drop in here if you need help.

Lol, well I do need to make a backyard.   And, gah... do the exterior lighting.  Exterior lighting is such a pain!

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2011, 05:43:12 AM »
I'm a terrible builder but this is what happens when you wake up at 5am on a Saturday and can't get back to sleep. Here's another WIP,

Any thoughts, Oh and sorry the pictures are terrible it was a bit early when I took them.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2011, 05:51:33 AM »
sims3lover - I don't think it's terrible at all. I particularly love the gorgeous pool.

danefaith - it looks much better now!

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:59 AM »
sims3lover - I don't think it's terrible at all. I particularly love the gorgeous pool.
Guess I'm going through a phase were I think everything of mine is rubbish, anyone got any tips on what to do outside, I'm stumped.

Shenice93

« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »
@sims3lover

I think you could definitely use some more windows on the second floor. I think you could also bring the items in the backyard a little closer to the pool. I think that way the backyard would be less bare.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
I'm a terrible builder but this is what happens when you wake up at 5am on a Saturday and can't get back to sleep. Here's another WIP,

Nah, not a terrible build at all.  It's a little bland as of yet, but most of the time a WIP is to start with.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the pillars by the driveway, and build an actual wall to turn it into an open carport.  I'd also add a privacy fence or a hedgerow fence around the pool area in the back yard.  As far as the windows go, it looks like you have most of the windows in backwards (the shutters are on the inside), so I would turn them around to see if that makes it look a little more full, and I'd move the two on the outer edges of the front upper floor above the main section one space towards the middle.  If the windows still look a little sparse, instead of just adding more windows, I'd experiment with wider ones to see how they'd look.

Another thing I noticed is that the roof on the section that goes over the driveway extends through the main roof to the back of the house.  I'd turn auto-roof off, and using the same gable roof, I'd put it on manually and only extend that section half way to the back so that it doesn't go through.

Personally, I'm somewhat lacking in landscaping skills, so I'm afraid I can't help much with that.  But I do like what you did with the flowers and the fountain along the front section of the house.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #848 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
When we're talking traditional windows, a point I always try to make is:
1.) make sure your windows on the top and bottom floor are in alignment
2.) make sure that there's even spacing between windows
3.) make sure there's one square of wall between a window and the corner

I personally don't like that the entire terrain is sand.  Look at the perimeter of your lot, and how there is a perfectly solid line in between the sand and the grass outside of your lot.  It's a bit unrealistic.  However, a fun thing you can do if you want a sand lot is to create a 30x30 lot right on the beach, and move the house there.  Beach house!  :D

You might also want to consider going with floor tiles instead of terrain paint for the drive way.  Terrain paints are better for winding pathways - when they're straight, a floor tile will almost always be more effective.

But overall this is very workable, and something that you can tinker with and learn things from.  I'm very fond of the exterior architecture as whole, and mostly think your concerns can be rectified by addressing the windows and terrain paint.

Shenice93

« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
This is my latest WIP. It's an apartment complex or at least it will be.

I like how it's turning out so far. Though I'm on the fence about the driveway.

Behold! The infinity pool! :D

As you can see in order to create the pool, I raised the terrain and then built the pool all the way on the edge. The blank part of the wall is where the elevator is. I'm thinking or making it pop with some wall color almost like a mural. I'm not sure yet.

The "this is my car and you can't drive it" garage.

Like I said before. I like how it's turning out so far, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #850 on: March 26, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
the driveway is a little steep and bumpy but I understand it can be difficult to man those terrain elevation tools, so its nothing to sweat.

What this needs is a clearly defined front entrance. I see a sliver of a door next to the garage and it took me a while to find it.  If I were a visiting friend, I'd want to know where I'm supposed to enter the building.  I'd suggest moving it front and center and giving it a little bit more bravado.  Also, wherever you can replace those lines of thin windows with the three space wide windows, I'd suggest doing so, just so they're more clearly defined.

But it definitely feels like a tenant building, with defined suites.  I like what I see with the penthouse, hope that's the one my sims get to live in!

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #851 on: March 26, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

So finished the backyard.  Has a nice minimalist feel with flushed whites, defined pathways and sparse furniture.

Now, on to decorating!  This is the room on the left side of the house from the back view: the kitchen.  Ugh, this kitchen took me forever and I still have my up and downs.  Should probably add more appliances and a few knick knacks.

The living room, I'm debating as to whether it's minimalist or just under-decorated at the moment.  :D Max was also kind enough to upgrade the fireplace to be fireproof, just for you!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #852 on: March 26, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
danefaith, how did you get those fantastic counters in the 2nd picture?
Also, the impossible building will be relatively hard. The walls become skewed when I try to build it.

I think that this is my best house. I might upload it to the swap shop. have uploaded it to the swap shop. It's over here

This is the house exterior. The small column-like thing has the mailbox protruding from it.

3rd floor. Master Bedroom.

2nd floor. Main living rooms.

1st floor. Kitchen / Diner.

The front garden, with harvestable apple tree, lime tree, life fruit, deathflower, and bell pepper plants.

2nd bedroom. It can be used as a butler's bedroom.

B4. Simbot Recharging station and Simbot reprogramming station.

After I posted this, I realised that there is only one bathroom, in the butler's bedroom. If I upload it to the swap shop, I'll build another one. Also, I'll pretty up the kitchen.
Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #853 on: March 26, 2011, 10:55:55 PM »
danefaith - the kitchen is awesome (how did you get those benches and that fridge?) but the loungeroom isn't doing it for me...

seabody - the build of the house is interesting, but I'm not sure about the inside - it seems a bit...empty? And can you move that tree so it doesn't poke into the building?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #854 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
Whoops. I'm actually about to upload it to the Swap Shop. EDIT: And I just thought of something to explain the emptyness.

anything