Author Topic: CAS Contests - Rules and Instructions  (Read 11529 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
CAS Contests - Rules and Instructions
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »

Create-A-Sim Contests: Rules and Instructions

What is the essence of Sims 3?  The characters, or Sims.  Sims doing whatever they are directed to do by their Watchers (or not, as the case may be).  Every Sims game must have Sims.  The CAS Contests will challenge you to create a variety of interesting and distinctive Sims inspired by characters from real life, books or movies.  So brush up on your slider skills and get ready to join the contests!

General Contest Rules

Entry Rules:
  • Only one entry is permitted per Member.
  • You may not begin your entry until the stated start time.
  • All entries must be posted before the deadline, no exceptions.
  • The entry must be solely your own work and must not be shared in another thread before or during the contest.  Please do not seek advice or input from other forum members regarding your entry until after the contest has closed.
  • Your entry must comply with the general rules and meet the specifications for the particular contest. 

Content Rules:
  • Third Party Custom Content is banned, as per the forum rules.
  • Modifications that affect the abilities of Create-A-Sim are banned, i.e. New Sliders.
  • Modifications that affect the poses a Sim can do are banned, i.e. Pose Player.
  • All Expansion or Stuff Pack Content is allowed, unless stated otherwise.
  • Custom Patterns from the Swap Shop and Official Exchange are allowed, as long as all credit is given to original creators.
  • The use of Store Content is banned, with the exception of Registration Rewards and other free items.  This includes use of Store Content in screenshots, other than Store Worlds which are permitted.

Screenshots and Posting Rules:
  • It is recommended that you upload your Sim from Edit Town, as a household (rather than uploading from CAS).  This is not a hard-and-fast rule, but is recommended for consistency so that anyone downloading your entry will know where to look for the Sim.
  • Post your entry in a new thread, complete with all information, screenshots and the link for people to download your Sim.  Then lock the thread.
  • In the Contest thread, post one of your screenshots, the name of your entry/thread, and a link to your thread.
  • A maximum of 10 Screenshots may be used in your entry thread. A collage of 4 images counts as 4 images.
  • Required Screenshots:
    • Full Face, to be taken in CAS.
    • Profile, to be taken in CAS.
    • Images of each Outfit Category: Everyday, Formal, Athletic, Sleepwear and Swimwear.
  • Optional Screenshots:
    • Three-Quarter View, to be taken in CAS
    • Outdoor Clothing
    • Miscellaneous Poses/Expressions
  • See the Sample Entry thread for ideas on the types of images to include.
  • No Videos or Montages.
  • You may use any cheats you wish for the themed screenshots.

Voting and Commenting Rules:
  • Do not reveal who you voted for anywhere in the forum. If you do, your post will be edited or deleted.
  • Do not comment on entries until the contest has closed.  When voting has ended all threads will be unlocked.
  • Comments will be allowed when the contest has closed, and only if a participant has requested feedback.
  • All comments should be respectful and constructive.  Inappropriate and/or negative comments will be removed.

How do the Create-A-Sim Contests work?

The Contests will run for six weeks, normally starting on a Friday and ending on a Thursday.  On the closure of a contest, a poll will be added to the main thread and you will be able to vote for up to three of your favourite entries (if a particular contest has few entries, the number of allowed votes may be fewer than three).  The poll will be open for four days.  At the close of voting the winner will be announced.

If you have any Contest Ideas or Questions please PM the Contest Team: Schipperke and Seabody.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: CAS Contests - Rules and Instructions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
This is just to let you know we've had a couple of questions related to the entry process.  I'm hoping to get Samoht's input on this but he's in a different time zone and is busy too, so I'll just ask people to be patient and maybe hold off on posting your entry.  I promise to respond to the questions by the end of the day.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
Movie Maker cheat?  Where does one find this?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Ferretmania

• Occult
  • FerretmaniaDK on Origin
    • World Of Sims
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
It's a cheat that came with Generations.

I haven't tried it, but found this on the official Forum :

moviemakerCheats enabled [true|false]: Toggles Movie Maker Mode, which enables new cheats for players that aid in movie making. To access Movie Maker Mode, [testingcheatsenabled true] must be set. It allows NPCS to be selectable by using SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK on the Sim. Additionally, the following cheat interactions are enabled when you SHIFT+LEFT CLICK on a Sim:
- Animation: Plays a specific animation on a Sim
- Disable All Lookouts: Toggles all Look Ats for all Sims.
- Edit in CAS: Brings the clicked Sim into Create a Sim, where they can be fully edited.
- Sim Shutdown: Prevents all Sims for doing anything other than player initiated interactions.
- Set Looping On/One-Off: Sets animations to be looped or to one-off.
I only live in real life when my sims need a break ;)

Raven's Immortal Dynasty

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »
Thanks for that explanation, Ferretmania.  There are a number of animations your Sim can do with the moviemaker cheat, and probably the best way to familiarize yourself with the possibilities is to just try them out.

This thread in the Video Training board also talks about some of the cheats that can be used to get various effects in your pictures.

Offline shaunta

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
It's a cheat that came with Generations.

I haven't tried it, but found this on the official Forum :

moviemakerCheats enabled [true|false]: Toggles Movie Maker Mode, which enables new cheats for players that aid in movie making. To access Movie Maker Mode, [testingcheatsenabled true] must be set. It allows NPCS to be selectable by using SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK on the Sim. Additionally, the following cheat interactions are enabled when you SHIFT+LEFT CLICK on a Sim:
- Animation: Plays a specific animation on a Sim
- Disable All Lookouts: Toggles all Look Ats for all Sims.
- Edit in CAS: Brings the clicked Sim into Create a Sim, where they can be fully edited.
- Sim Shutdown: Prevents all Sims for doing anything other than player initiated interactions.
- Set Looping On/One-Off: Sets animations to be looped or to one-off.
Does anyone know how to do this on a mac? I just have one solid surface.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
Does anyone know how to do this on a mac? I just have one solid surface.

I don't have a Mac, and maybe I'm not understanding your question, but are you concerned about not having a right mouse button?  If so, you don't need it in order to use the moviemaker cheat on your own Sim.  The cheat is part of the Sims game, just like the other cheats, and if you want to use it to make your Sim do certain animations, just enable the cheat and then shift-click on the Sim to bring up the options.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
Is it just screenshots or are the sims getting linked and able to be downloaded as well?

~Anna

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
Is it just screenshots or are the sims getting linked and able to be downloaded as well?

~Anna

Yes, the Sims will need to be uploaded to your contest thread.

Offline shaunta

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
I don't have a Mac, and maybe I'm not understanding your question, but are you concerned about not having a right mouse button?  If so, you don't need it in order to use the moviemaker cheat on your own Sim.  The cheat is part of the Sims game, just like the other cheats, and if you want to use it to make your Sim do certain animations, just enable the cheat and then shift-click on the Sim to bring up the options.
Thank you for responding! I just went into my game and figured that out was just wondering there were different things I had to do in there.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
Several people have sent us personal messages with questions about the entry procedures.  Samoht and I have been discussing them, and I've added a couple of points to the "Screenshots and Posting Rules" section above that I think will answer the questions.

The reason we're asking you to make a separate thread for your entry is so that when the contest ends and the contest thread gets moved to the Graveyard, your entry won't also wind up in the Graveyard.  And asking you to post just one picture in the contest thread is because loading times get very slow for threads with a lot of pictures, and there's no need to duplicate everything that's in the entry thread - just pick the picture you think best shows your Sim (I'd suggest either the full-face view or the three-quarter view, but it's up to you).

I should also say that there was some difference of opinion about this procedure, so we're going to try it for a while and see how it works.  Constructive feedback would of course be welcome.  :)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
How about allowing people to make a collage of their photos in the separate thread to post in the contest thread? There are some really easy to use free collage sites, such as picmonkey that you can link to for an example of where to go to.

That will both keep down the number of photos and let people show more than one picture at a time. Of course only the pictures posted in the separate thread would be allowed.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »
How about allowing people to make a collage of their photos in the separate thread to post in the contest thread? There are some really easy to use free collage sites, such as picmonkey that you can link to for an example of where to go to.

That will both keep down the number of photos and let people show more than one picture at a time. Of course only the pictures posted in the separate thread would be allowed.

Thanks for the suggestion, saltpastillen.  It's definitely something to consider, and we will.  At this point, I think we'll keep things simple and stay with the single picture until Samoht and I have had time to discuss your idea.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, saltpastillen.  It's definitely something to consider, and we will.  At this point, I think we'll keep things simple and stay with the single picture until Samoht and I have had time to discuss your idea.

Sure, it was just a thought...it's nearing 1 am here so I'm over the place  ::)

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Can we take pictures in a store world (ie Sunlit Tides) so long as no store content is used in the actual CAS process?
Origin ID: marwolfer
Check me out on the gallery!!