Author Topic: Where did your profile name come from?  (Read 199247 times)

Leto85

Re: Where did your profile name come from?
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »
My forum name comes from my real name, Priyansh Khare. I think it sounds bad, but everyone says it is nice. :-[

It does sounds nice. At least it does in my opinion. What language is it? I got the feeling it is something eighter Russian or Indian but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that I am totally wrong with that.

Offline Lenka

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »
I got the feeling it is something eighter Russian or Indian

Leto I'm sure it's not Russian nor Slavic (as I'm native speaker of one of them :P).
And your nickname makes me smile often because I love summer and in my language, leto IS summer ;)

Now, back to my name... I'm in the same group as Pam and Sybilla... Lenka is my real name (and my best friends call me Lienka often... try to find what does it mean ;))

Tell me please if you find any mistake in my post. English is not my mother language. It's "only" the third one in frequency of utilisation. I'm "half-French".

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Firestaar1

• Nooboo
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
My name is a name I've used for quite a long time, and came from my parents thinking of a CB handle for me to go by. 

We have some native american blood in us (though to see me you wouldn't guess), and we're very proud of that blood so we wanted something of a native name.  The first part "Fire" comes because I have a very fiery temper when I get upset enough that my temper blows.  The second part "staar" comes because my actual name means "star", and the "1" is because in our town I was the first Firestaar

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
Here I've just used the same name as I did on the official website, although I've had many, many names over the years. I'm a proud Australian (100% True Blue, mate!), which is usually just shortened to Aussie. Ausette came about when I tried to invent a more feminine version of the term. I'm usually a bit more wary of made up words though, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me it means something obscene in French or something.   :-\

Funny note: I was a little disappointed at reading the explanation for your name, MasterSiwel. You see, I've been reading that as Master Swivel. I had this glorious mental image of some epic workplace chair-swivelling tournament that you were apparently the champion of. Never mind.

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
Here I've just used the same name as I did on the official website, although I've had many, many names over the years. I'm a proud Australian (100% True Blue, mate!), which is usually just shortened to Aussie. Ausette came about when I tried to invent a more feminine version of the term. I'm usually a bit more wary of made up words though, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me it means something obscene in French or something.   :-\
Really? I actually thought Ausette was your real name.
Lol, I'm dumb ::)
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »
You're not dumb, Ruby. For all I know it really is a name. I'm Laura, by the way.  :D

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
You're not dumb, Ruby. For all I know it really is a name. I'm Laura, by the way.  :D
Haha, good to know, Laura  ;)
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29:41 AM »
Leto I'm sure it's not Russian nor Slavic (as I'm native speaker of one of them :P).
And your nickname makes me smile often because I love summer and in my language, leto IS summer ;)

Now, back to my name... I'm in the same group as Pam and Sybilla... Lenka is my real name (and my best friends call me Lienka often... try to find what does it mean ;))

Let me guess: Tsjech republic? ;)

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2011, 05:40:13 AM »
Well, in Serbian it means summer too. In Bosnian and Croatian, there is a letter "j" and is pronounced a little different, ljeto. Still, it is a lovely association:)

My name is Ana, and 1994. my now husband gave me this nickname in RL, since I didn't have any. That remained my nickname for all this time, and I use it in most places on web, if available.

EDIT: Lenka, I had a little turtle named Lenka for years. Again, in Serbian "lena" means lazy, in Bosnian and Croatian, there is the similar letter added as in leto/ljeto (lena/lijena). I love that name, and my turtle, we spent several years together.

Leto85

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:26 AM »
Well, in Serbian it means summer too. In Bosnian and Croatian, there is a letter "j" and is pronounced a little different, ljeto. Still, it is a lovely association:)

My name is Ana, and 1994. my now husband gave me this nickname in RL, since I didn't have any. That remained my nickname for all this time, and I use it in most places on web, if available.

EDIT: Lenka, I had a little turtle named Lenka for years. Again, in Serbian "lena" means lazy, in Bosnian and Croatian, there is the similar letter added as in leto/ljeto (lena/lijena). I love that name, and my turtle, we spent several years together.

Turtles, I believe that would be a great pet for me to, if I haven't already a lovely cat and the second is on his way. ;) In most cases, the only worse thing on having a animal and loving it is that you have to say goodby to them when they pass away. The benefit of having turtles is that this is the total other way around. Unless your goal is to reach the respecible age of 150 of course. ;)

Anushka: could you take some time if you want to put a few Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian names in the 'Sims names' topic? I am pretty sure there are no names there yet from that location, and I think that besides me also other people would love those names. Using them in my game would put my future generation sims in a total new spectrum.

Offline Lenka

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Let me guess: Tsjech republic? ;)
You're almost right  ;) I was born as Czechoslovak but I'm Slovak :)

in Serbian "lena" means lazy
in Slovak, lazy is "lenivy/leniva" (m/f) :) same root... and in Czech it's "liny/lina" I love this proximity in Slavic languages (speaking one of them allows you to understand plenty of them... I think you know what I mean, Anushka)

Tell me please if you find any mistake in my post. English is not my mother language. It's "only" the third one in frequency of utilisation. I'm "half-French".

Priyansh

« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »
It does sounds nice. At least it does in my opinion. What language is it? I got the feeling it is something eighter Russian or Indian but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that I am totally wrong with that.

My name is Indian. I live in India. You won't find this name elsewhere except in some neighbouring countries ;). This name is from two languages: Hindi and Sanskrit.

Sanskrit is our ancient language which was used from 5000-3000 BC to 1000 AD, though I may not be correct. Then a new language was created which was a mix of many languages. This new language was named Hindi. It is the official language of India. Though all the languages of India, including Sanskrit, has only one base script, Devanagri.

Fact: Do you know? There are more than 1,000 languages and dialects in India! Some of them are from ancient times, but are lost and only archeologists can read them.

I like it... What nationality is it from?
Favorite star is a lovely meaning for a name, as well.

Thank you very much! :D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2011, 02:29:44 AM »
This name is an old, old nickname of mine.  It's a rather long story, so I'll attempt to give you the short version.

I was Canadian born, and moved to America when I was in high school in the early 80's, shortly before that god awful craze that was started by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas began.  Once it did start, my accent was immediately identified and all my friends started calling me "hosehead" or "hoser" (much to my dismay at the time).  The craze eventually died (mercifully) but the nickname persisted.

Just after high school, I moved in with one of my high school buddies who, like me, had an affinity for movies.  One of our favorites at the time was "Red Dawn."  Late in the movie, the characters capture a Russian soldier and attempted to interrogate him.  At one point, the Russian character spits at his captors and curses at them, calling one of them "dog face."  He found that particular line in the movie oddly amusing.  I'm not entirely sure what the train of thought on this was (as it wasn't mine), but to him, I became "Hose Face."  He was very good with impersonations, and he would often repeat this line while inserting my newly created nickname.

Now enters an old Commodore 64 game called "Telengard."  At the time, it was an amusing "dungeon crawl" game that generated 50 gigantic random levels.  When you started playing, you had to create a name for your character.  I was trying to think of a name, and the only thing that came to mind was "Hose Face" (simply because I heard it 100 times a day).  There were no spaces allowed, and a typing error caused me to inadvertently leave out the first letter E, which was "Hosface."  This was further edited by the game, as it limited the character name to 6 letters by simply cutting off any extra characters.  This left "Hosfac."  I was a good ways into playing when I noticed this, but I didn't think a lot of it at the time, so I kept it.

While I'm at work, my friend decides to play...and noticed my character name.  Apparently, this was the most hilarious thing he had seen or heard since those two idiots stopped doing the Bob and Doug McKenzie thing.

That was 20 years ago, and he still calls me "Hosfac."  Lucky for him I'm over it.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Leto85

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
Fact: Do you know? There are more than 1,000 languages and dialects in India! Some of them are from ancient times, but are lost and only archaeologists can read them.

Wow, no I absolutely didn't know that. How many of those are still 'alive' here as I wouldn't think it will be practical if that there are still so much language in your country alive that you need a dictionary to understand your neighbour.

Priyansh

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
Wow, no I absolutely didn't know that. How many of those are still 'alive' here as I wouldn't think it will be practical if that there are still so much language in your country alive that you need a dictionary to understand your neighbour.

Somewhere near 300-400 are still 'alive' if you call them.

One more thing: The 1000 languages I am talking about, are the languages which are found till yet. There are more than 1000, sometimes even a group of villages make a different language of their own.

anything