Author Topic: Quick question about moving Sims out  (Read 9642 times)

Offline nawtaMUSEd

• Nooboo
Quick question about moving Sims out
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Okay, so I have this family that I've had for quite a while and I want to move some Sims out (who are married) into another house in the town so that they can start a family. That's fine, and I know how to do that, and I'll keep the remaining Sims as my active household. However, I was just wondering, if I move the pair of them into a house of their own, will they automatically have children? Because I kind of want the generations to keep going, but I don't know whether I should get my Sim pregnant before moving them out, or whether they'll do it on their own.. I guess.

Sorry if this was confusing! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Quick question about moving Sims out...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
They can potentially have kids, but Story Progression has been rather wonky ever since the patch for Pets, so it's rather unlikely. The only way to guarantee a future generation would be to have them Try for Baby before moving them out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
Leaving the next generation to story progression will probably be a let down.  If you get them both fertility treatment then get them pregnant before moving out you should guarantee twins and possibly triplets.  Once you have moved them out you would need to make them your active household for a short period to get them pregnant.  This could be risky for your main family, who knows what they might get up to while you are busy elsewhere.  However, if you temporarily turn story progression off they should not be able to do too much damage.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
I think too (but might be mistaken), that for them to have children due to story progression, that they have to be in a house equipped for babies and/or kids.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »
I think too (but might be mistaken), that for them to have children due to story progression, that they have to be in a house equipped for babies and/or kids.
As far as I know that's not required for EA story progression.  Some mods that alter story progression have housing checks that will move families around to homes with cribs where possible (Twallan's will do this, but I'm pretty sure when his mod is active townies will get pregnant regardless of the number of cribs in their home.  They're just likely to move to a more suitable home after the baby is born.).  It's possible some story progression mods won't allow pregnancies to happen amongst townies unless they have cribs, but I've never used them.

For some reason EA's story progression has been altered to the point of no townie pregnancies for many players (definitely the case in my games).  Nawta, if you want to guarantee the sims who move out have a baby, the only options seem to be having them get pregnant before moving, or temporarily taking control of them as the active household after they've moved out.

Offline Randox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »
I have an add on question if I may.

If story progression doesn't like to make babies, then wouldn't my town eventually depopulate? I guess, is there a finite number of townies for the game to draw upon, or will it start randomly generating families to bring into the game once I run out of premade townies?

That's a shame either way. I was sort of hoping that the one I just moved out might eventually get married and have children that the children of my active household could get to know. I guess I have to settle for the Father in Law being absolutely relentless about asking his daughter in law out on dates for story driven family interactions >.>

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:02 PM »
In my games the default story progression swaps families in and out of town to keep the population up.  Most of the time it will move out an existing family of adults then move in a family with children to keep the demographics relatively balanced.  I've heard other players don't always have this happen and can wind up with a town full of elderly sims. 

It's a shame, because the old versions of story progression used to have actual progression among the townies (getting married, having babies, moving), but it's pretty much non-existent now.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
You do not need any baby/toddler equipment in a house occupied by a family, you don't even need enough beds if you move the family in through edit town.  However, if you use the move function on the telephone to move part of your current family out, the game does check to make sure that the home has the basics and enough beds.  But, it does not check for pregnancy, so if you move a pregnant couple to a new home this way then all it needs is the basics and two bed spaces.  They will raise their children quite happily as long as you do not try to play the house.

Sims are unlikely to become pregnant through story progression.  And, I agree with you that this is a shame.  However, story progression does fill up some empty (furnished) homes.  I think it does check suitability when it does this.  I am not certain though.  It might be worth placing or building a couple of baby ready homes to test this.

If you are playing a fun game rather than a challenge of dynasty game, there are lots of ways of getting more youngsters into the game it story progression fails to keep the population dynamic.  For example, placing a bin family into a home or creating a few pregnant couples and saving to the bin for future use.)
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Leaving the next generation to story progression will probably be a let down.  If you get them both fertility treatment then get them pregnant before moving out you should guarantee twins and possibly triplets.  Once you have moved them out you would need to make them your active household for a short period to get them pregnant.  This could be risky for your main family, who knows what they might get up to while you are busy elsewhere.  However, if you temporarily turn story progression off they should not be able to do too much damage.

If your current active household has an empty slot for another Sim, you can make the couple get pregnant before moving out.  That way, you don't have to switch active households to have them have a baby.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Angélique

• Townie
Re: Quick question about moving Sims out
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
However, story progression does fill up some empty (furnished) homes.

I've had Story progression turned off from day one, but still single sims move in to all the empty houses sooner or later. As usual with this game, I have no idea if it's intentional or caused by a bug.

After a while I got fed up with having to go to edit town and delete the unwanted newcomers all the time, so nowadays I never have any empty furnished houses in any of the towns I play. It seems to be the only way to avoid this kind of thing.