Author Topic: Legacy or Dynasty?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline lonelygoddess42

• Rain Warrior
  • Nooboo
  • "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have
    • Rain Warrior
Legacy or Dynasty?
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
Could some one please explain to me what exactly the difference is between a legacy and a dynasty?
I don't where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Legacy or Dynasty?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
A Legacy is a generational challenge originally created by Pinstar. The basic Legacy is to play for 10 generations. There are a whole ton of different kinds of Legacies, as well.

The Dynasties, on the other hand, refer to one of three (soon to be four) challenges hosted on our own Forum. These have more strict rulesets, but they also have a Hall of Fame. Our Immortal Dynasty is here, our DecaDynasty is here, and our Life States Dynasty is here.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
Oh! Easy, the Dynasty was created by this forum (by our masterminds and geniuses!) that is multi-generational. It is more challenging in the sense that it requires a lot more to be done before you can move on.

The biggest difference in the Dynasty to the Legacy is the Legacy is almost always counted to 10 generations where you move on from generation to generation. The Dynasty is only 8 generations and the founder and all of the heirs following must be alive in the household via ambrosia (the food that renews a Sim's lifespan).

The rules (normally accepted) for a Legacy were created on the Sims 3 Forum by Pinstar, but they have not been updated. Our forum members keep the dynasty up to date with new expansions/stuff and adjust the rules accordingly.

... Audren! You beat me to it! :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
The biggest difference in the Dynasty to the Legacy is the Legacy is almost always counted to 10 generations where you move on from generation to generation. The Dynasty is only 8 generations and the founder and all of the heirs following must be alive in the household via ambrosia (the food that renews a Sim's lifespan).

Actually, it's only the Immortal Dynasty challenge that goes to eight generations.  The Townie DecaDynasty goes to 10 generations, and the Seven Life States Dynasty goes to seven generations.  This year's new 4x4 Dynasty will go for four generations.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Actually, it's only the Immortal Dynasty challenge that goes to eight generations.  The Townie DecaDynasty goes to 10 generations, and the Seven Life States Dynasty goes to seven generations.  This year's new 4x4 Dynasty will go for four generations.

That's very true, I should have specified that the Immortal Dynasty only goes to 8 generations. Silly me, I think when I hear the word Dynasty I just think of the Immortal Dynasty.  ::)

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

Sorry, Pam, but I think the 4x4 is 16 generations! :)

Offline lonelygoddess42

• Rain Warrior
  • Nooboo
    • Rain Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me  :D What would I call something with 26 generations?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »
Thanks guys for clearing that up for me  :D What would I call something with 26 generations?

It depends on what you did for those 26 generations? If you just went from one generation to the next I would likely consider that a Legacy. There are requirements that must be completed every generation during a Dynasty so I would assume that if those requirements were put into place that you could probably have a very nice 4x4 Dynasty (extended) or a Townie Decadynasty, as those are the only ones that I know that can achieve multiple generations (without modification to the game) past 8 generations.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
Well, a 26 generation Dynasty is not really a Dynasty, since those have more strict rules. Any 26 generation challenge you've seen would probably be a Legacy.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »
Sorry, Pam, but I think the 4x4 is 16 generations! :)

Ack!  You're right.  Four generations in four different worlds.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 05:21:34 AM »

A pair of baker dozens? Or perhaps an Alpha-Challenge? Or even a twin suits (as in cards) challenge.

Offline lonelygoddess42

• Rain Warrior
  • Nooboo
    • Rain Warrior
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
The idea for it is to go through the entire alphabet with certain restrictions depending on what letter you're on. I'm still trying to work it out.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
The idea for it is to go through the entire alphabet with certain restrictions depending on what letter you're on. I'm still trying to work it out.

I would say that's a legacy challenge then.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »

That's an Alphabet Legacy / Alphabet Challenge. :) It's a variation on a Legacy.