Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2941506 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #720 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
@Joria: It's your game, play it however makes you happy. Playing within a ruleset is a fun way of creating challenges in a game, but it shouldn't take the fun out of playing. Many people play generational games, loosely keeping to the rules, so there's no reason why you can't do the same with dynasties. It makes me sad to see so many people restarting because they forget one of the many required paintings.

Of course, the Leaderboard is for those who keep strictly to the rules, but we can still have fun playing dynasties, mistakes and all!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #721 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
Unfortunately, I share Metro's perfectionist trait.  You should see how many times I've ripped out a counted cross stitch if it doesn't meet my standards.

I am having fun with this, but I think I'm going to have to be careful to not invest so much of my heart in it and not worry so much about whether the portrait is perfect or the museum just so.

One of the things I have the most fun doing is the housing designs.  I really loved my outdoor living to the max and the newest house, inspired by.....drat, lost her name in my brain, Ai something,  octagonal bee's hive house.  I also have to be a bit more strict with myself regarding finances.  I will do without till I can afford the best and no having to redo the decor because I got something make do.  So with that in mind, Winter moved to, is it Riverview?, not my favorite SV, and immediately snagged and married John Lessen.  I know he will die quickly but she married him for his money, cars, (which she swiped so he would still have them), and the fact he's gorgeous, romantic and artistic.  He brought in enough cash for them to have started with $22 plus thousand cash.  That bought a VERY nice starter house with a really good bed, two complete bathrooms, a small but adequate kitchen, (which does need updating), and a few little extras.  Remember the little oriental garden?  Got one. lol

So, it's only day three, she's got a garden in, has swiped enough cars that they aren't hurting for money, has taken a cooking class and will take an art class as well.  My plan is to have her SuperMax cooking but I'm not sure what would be good to max that won't mess up another immortal further down the road.

I'm not sure John will be the father of her child.  She has things she has to do and child rearing takes a lot of time.  I'll just watch where their lifeline is going and make a decision then.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #722 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Unfortunately, I share Metro's perfectionist trait.

Ha ha. It does have its downsides doesn't it, Joria?  :D But, it's a good trait too. I think what's healthy for anyone is to push themselves slightly out of their comfort zone in a challenge like this and go for flexibility. Learning to adapt. Trying different techniques. That was my problem with my first few attempts — I had a singular vision of what I wanted to accomplish and when something derailed that vision — poof — game over — let's rewind and try again. I still have my perfectionist singular vision. I mean I am who I am and I'm not going to sit here and lie to everyone and say museum value is now unimportant to me. Would anyone believe that hogwash anyway?  :D  But, the important thing is just getting the job done despite what the game throws at you and sharing with everyone one's story and success. Good luck in your journey, Joria.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #723 on: September 16, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Jon Lessen is a good catch and he makes pretty babies.  I played part of a legacy with him, but I didn't get very far.  Just to maybe the third generation.  Now that file is gone anyway.

I like starting with modest furnishing.  I enjoy upgrading everything as my family has more money.  It seems realistic to me.

I finally got my first travel bug.  Indigo has a deceased elderly husband in China.  No children, though.  And it looks like it ruined the family tree.  Everyone now just has their own picture and nothing else.  It's a bum deal, but I'm still going to play.  I'm way too attached to this family to start over.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #724 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
It's funny how these things happen to more than one of us at the same time.  My family tree has just been hit by the travel bug too.  I've been having Gen 3's spouse travel as he is Adventurous and I thought he could get a level 3 visa so they could buy a house in France, and at the same time he can work on his LTW of Physical Perfection.

When he arrived in France recently, he had the broken heart moodlet.  I immediately checked his relationship panel to make sure everyone in the family was shown.  They were all there, but two of them were shown as younger than their real age.  Then later the founder was gone from the relationship panel, so I brought Rhett home.  Fortunately everyone at home was alive and well, but the founder is now shown as being a friend to the rest of the household, not related.  Also Rhett now is shown as having a daughter in France, who is older than his own toddler at home.  Weird.  I don't particularly care, as long as the daughter or her mother don't turn up on the doorstep demanding child support, but it's strange how these things happen.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #725 on: September 17, 2010, 02:13:12 AM »
I didn't really mind the family tree being messed up, I was going to keep track on paper anyway, it was just the flirting of family members, especially after playing the family for so long, maybe it is just me, but was creepy.  Oh well, if it happens again, will just move on and deal with it and keep an eye on the little buggers, lol.  I still have the game and house was turning out so nice, so might play again, but not officially.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #726 on: September 17, 2010, 02:18:09 AM »
I lost my old plan so here is my newest draft -

1 - Painting, Guitar, Cooking.
2 - Gardening, Sculpting.
3 - Photography.
4 - Martial Arts, Athletic.
5 - Inventing, Handiness.
6 - Logic.
7 - Charisma.
8 - Fishing.

How does this look?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2010, 02:22:44 AM »
@samoht:

Are you restarting?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:03 AM »
I hear ya, loud and clear Metro.  I really don't care if I'm a perfectionist.  I like me just the way I am, thank you very much.   :)  I also don't mind small errors.  I really believe only the creator makes perfection so if I mess up it's ok.  Doesn't mean I'm not going to be annoyed with myself for awhile and it surely doesn't mean I won't start over, but if I didn't make some sort of small mistake accidentally I will make one deliberately.

I think the missing painting happened because I really had invested my heart in that particular family and when Marc died I was pretty upset.  My poor husband actually consoled me.  I'm sure he really doesn't understand, but I said, it's rather like crying over a really good, but sad movie.  (I bawled for hours, and still do each time I see the elves die in the Two Towers.  )  You see, when Winter sat down to eat that first ambrosia, she paused, slowly ate it, and then, as the magic started, she turned and looked at the place Marc had died with the saddest look on her face.  I can't bear to look at the screenies because I start tearing up all over again.

Pam,  Jon does make gorgeous babies.  I've played him before in a legacy I never finished.  He didn't make a particularly good father as he was so wrapped up in his music.  He wasn't a BAD father, just not as good as Marc was.  BTW, Marc's nooboo was adorable but turned into a homely kid and even worse teenager.  I gave him different hair, (how did two people with black and blue hair wind up with a red headed kid?), so it's more like his dad and that helped a bit. 

Right now Winter and Jon live in a very nice, compact, dual mushroom house.  They only just bought a sofa and a tv as I got tired of waiting for the junkyard to spawn them.  I'm not getting much of a harvest from that junkyard but it's good enough.  Besides, Jon makes a decent living at his job and in between gigs he is painting up a storm and playing for tips when needed. 

Here's a tip if someone decides to play him.  Have your female be a klepto.  Spend the night at his house for like three nights and each night steal three items.  You can spend more nights if you like, of course.  Otherwise you might not get all those cool cars and decent furnishings and yard stuff.  I didn't do it long enough but I DID get the cars.  It's like having a savings account!  So he and I have cool and FAST cars to run around in which cuts travel time a bit, or anyway seems to.  It made for a very tired Sim but it was worth it.

I tried having her stay at the fire station for a few nights but the game kept trying to send her home.  It was pretty hard to get her to stay there.  Of course, once she was asleep it was fine.  It was good that there was an easel there so she could begin her painting practice.  This is just a minor thing she's doing for the future.  Not to max or supermax.
Once they were married, (they married at the fire station), there was no way Jon was going to stay there.  So I used the money he brought in to build the adorable mushie house.  I'm about ready to start looking over properties.  Wish there was a cool park right across the street like in SV.

What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #729 on: September 17, 2010, 05:04:36 AM »
Joria, you make my eyes wet :( usually I don't feel emotional about Sims stories but you and others around here somehow gave souls to those virtual folks!
I'm having a dilemma in my game.. is it possible to finish 17 ice sculptures in 7 sim days? Zelda is an adult now and panted one brilliant portrait of Gabriel, at level 9 and is sculpting all day long. She sculpted 8 ice sculptures by now and I'm not shore should I force her to reach magic number 25 or let her paint as many portraits as possible hoping for a masterpiece?
And I still haven't decide will Zelda give birth to a next immortal or should I wait for her to die and marry someone else? She is pretty so I would like to have her genes in dynasty but not necessarily.. and also have problems with consignment store, after consinging few seeds buy option just cancelled itself for two days now, and I didn't buy camera jet..
Other things are just fine, but I'll update the story with some pictures.

PS not shore how you plan not to master fishing with all that deadfish you'll need till the last hair?

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #730 on: September 17, 2010, 05:20:29 AM »
I forgot 2 more thins to ask ::)

Part-time jobs are not counted as professions?

And how do you post large pictures in posts? I use this option linked in postreply but no matter what size I chose, it allways publish the same one - small.. or should I use some other way to upload pictures?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2010, 06:38:41 AM »
I'm having a dilemma in my game.. is it possible to finish 17 ice sculptures in 7 sim days?

Most definitely. Figure on Zelda working 16 hour days and each ice sculpture taking around 3-4 hours. When she knocks out the Chiselmaster Challenge, it will go even faster.

I forgot 2 more thins to ask ::)

Part-time jobs are not counted as professions?

No. You need a profession with 10 rungs on the ladder.

And how do you post large pictures in posts? I use this option linked in postreply but no matter what size I chose, it allways publish the same one - small.. or should I use some other way to upload pictures?

Like a lot of other forum players, my personal preference is Photobucket. Look at the Technical board for the Sticky on posting images via Photobucket. Here's the link.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
OK, I'll give it a try. I bought her steel bladder and midlife crisis so it might help. But I can't waste a few days to sculpt in wood, metal and stone now, later when Gabriel become an Adult I will chase that challenge.

Now I have a brilliant portrait worth a little less than the average one, and not shore which to keep, I suppose that value increase more for the brilliant and masterpieces or am I wrong? If any time left I'll try to get the masterpiece but not shore about that.

steelviper266

« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »
How exactly do I start this challenge? Is built into game or just follow Carl's instructions and make it happen, in game challenge? What? ???

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
how exactly do i start this challenge, is built into game or just follow Carl's instructions and make it happen, in game challenge? what? ???

Hi steelviper266. Welcome to the forum. This is a stand-alone challenge that you play at your own pace. There's no time limit as opposed to the many 2010 Tournament challenges. So, basically, you just read the rule set posted at the beginning of this thread, create your Young Adult, and dive in. It's a lot of fun. Everyone that's writing stories has wonderful, different angles that they're taking (no pressure to write a story... a lot of players just enjoy that aspect too).

Go for it and have fun. Post any problems you have and we're here to help.  :)