Author Topic: Sims 3 - Building and Construction Requests Thread  (Read 764004 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 - Building and Construction Requests Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
@Joria:

I absolutely love what you've done!  I found the Miramontes house when I first started playing Sims 3 and really liked it even then.  It's even better with what you've remodeled.  I'll have to download this one when you finish.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
I am just amazed at what you've done with that house, Joria!  You are a very talented builder.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »
To fledgling builders like myself, I highly recommend learning by modifying stock houses, which is something I've been doing too (although not to the extent Joria has). Recently, I downloaded a house from a forum member, but wanted it placed on a larger lot. The game centered it on the lot, which I didn't want, so I took screenshots, printed them out, and rebuilt the house from scratch at the front of the larger lot. I'm learning a lot about building that way!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
I just turned my Comp off for the night when I got the notification Joria! I can't see the pictures so I will have to look in the morning. I am sure it looks great though!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Teacandy

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! And go ahead with the fish tank if you want. I know I sound like a broken record, but it's so pretty! Gee, I'm running out of things to say other than I love it! I know it must be tricky trying to recall what came from where, sorry about that! You're doing great, thank you very much for putting so much time and effort into it!

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »
Okay I can see the pictures now but I need a frontal view, it's a bit hard to see the driveway so if you could do something from the road it would be easier to see.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
I'll give it a try samoht.  The difficulty is there are tall mountains in front of the house and it makes my camera flip up.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
What a great House! I would say that there needs to be a Flower border on the driveway and maybe a central border with some flowers or shrubbery maybe a tree in that big expanse of grass, you could have it in the corner instead.

Teacandy

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
Looks wonderful so far! Great job  :)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
Thank you, Teacandy.

Samoht, what about a fountain in the big space surrounded by flowers?  Or a large sculpture?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
Joria, I vote for a fountain area with some flowers.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 01:38:53 AM »
Ah yes, a fountain with flowers as Salty also suggested is a good idea.  :)

Offline caliban

• Llama Wrangler
  • Creature Robot Cross-Breeder
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Teacandy: Here is what I created based on your request.

Download Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3273603

I did use one Store item, the Cellar Arch, which i believe is a free item. It's mainly on the exterior and should be replaced by another arch if you didn't want to download it. Everything else should be from the base game or World Adventures.

Outside, there is a patio at the back of the house for entertaining, and a good sized pool. There are 3 garden plots waiting for plants, and three parking spaces at the front of the house.

First floor contains kitchen and dining rooms, a reading room and a TV room. There is a half bath and a room set aside for Laundry (I do not have Ambitions).

Second floor contains 4 bedrooms (2 singles, 1 double and 1 currently a nursery), 2 full baths, a Master Bedroom with en suite bath and a painting/chess room.

Third floor contains a workout room, a full bath with shower, and two extra rooms that could be used for an Office, extra bedroom, etc. (I left these empty so that they could be filled with some of the Ambitions skilling stuff, as desired.)

There is a Cellar with a full bath and some decorative items. It would be easy to move things about and add a sculpture work area, and a nectar making area.

The exterior of the house is based on the Patsy Clark mansion (easily googled.) I had a lot of fun recreating the house in a way that was functional in game. Feed back would be lovely, feel free to PM me. (anyone).

I may go back and recreate this on a 40x40 lot so it can be used closer in to town.

Please don't go. The Drones need you. They look up to you.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
Wow, Caliban!  That is gorgeous!  Thanks for adding the link.  I can't even begin to have a clue as to how you did this.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline caliban

• Llama Wrangler
  • Creature Robot Cross-Breeder
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
Thank you Joria!

Converting from a photo (or actual house plans) is actually kind of fun (to me). Usually where it gets frustrating is with the roofs, which don't always want to play well with others.

I just make educated guesses from the size of windows, etc, how many "squares" long the wall is. Having graph paper to fiddle on helps too.

Once I have the basic outline of the house, I'll figure out where the stairs go. Because they're such space wasters, I've found it easier to build everything else around the stairs, than to try and make the stairs fit into some other plan. (Same thing with multi-story fireplaces)

Then I try to fill in from there with a floor plan that makes sense in terms of game mechanics.

The 3rd floor on this one changed a lot, due to issues with the roof from the lower story.

re: Your house, I really liked how you did the kitchen with that little island in it. I also really like the color scheme in the dining room.
Please don't go. The Drones need you. They look up to you.