Author Topic: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 32- Hail Rain or Sunshine  (Read 35066 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 22- Pocket Full of Sunshine
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
That's so sweet  :-[

Thank you! I'll probably be updating in two days or next week. The monstrous spirit of exam week is staring at the screen by my shoulder.
We'll be here whenever you're ready to update! Take your time and focus on your exams. :)

Offline cainspath

• Fluffy is my hair's first name.
  • Townie
  • Occasionally bipolar; always multipolar.
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 22- Pocket Full of Sunshine
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
We'll be here whenever you're ready to update! Take your time and focus on your exams. :)

Because LivvieLove doesn't want to lose to VioletG in sweetness. Anyway, thanks guys!

And to feed (anyone's) curiosity, here's a teaser:

At the end of the day, Life should ask you, "Do you want to save changes?"

How the misc-tery continues:
I, Iridessa: 3rd [What happens at home]

Why not try a misc-stery?
Blood of the Mayfair: 32nd [Hail Rain and Sunshine]

or a Reincarnation Project:
Hawke Revival: 26th [Hale Bonding]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: A Little Announcement
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Hello everyone! I've the latest chapter for uploading but I have content problems LOL. So I'll probably be posting another of those pseudo-updates sometime later. But more than a pseudo-update, it's going to be an important side-story for the next unit, as Garrett Hawke ends in two chapters (yay!).

:D

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: A Little Announcement
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
Intriguing teaser... :o

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Side Story: Queen of the Dragons
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »
Intriguing teaser... :o

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Glad you are!

Yep, you guessed right! There is going to be a guest appearance from Queen of the Dragon's Legacy Founder, Celestia Wyvern. And yes, I have asked prior permission from Shewolf13, I've also sent her the link and informed her of Celestia's appearance and future appearance in a story (Summarized and reiterated, I've asked permission and was granted use of Celestia).

And no, this isn't some random chapter in place of Chapter 23, as I have said earlier, I'm having problems with the content of the chapter and it's currently in the process of getting scrutinized.  :P

With that said, I'm releasing this. I hadn't planned to release this earlier but given the lag time, well I can't have such a long lag time for an update (it's grilling me)! This is a product of my itchiness. Thank you for understanding my whimsicality! :-X

Queen of the Dragons
A Hawke Side Story

There's a boy that caught my attention- unlike most of the cultured eccentricities of the residents of Midnight Hollow, this boy is different. He looks like he's suffered long years of wandering, rooted to this loop of life and death but can only watch it- watch the people die and listen to the infants cry their first gasp for air, listen to the laughter of the oblivious and nonchalant.

I feel sad for this boy. We share the same pain.

I, being immortal with my own set of insecurities. He, being lost, unguided, and with his own set of tragedies. But I have my sister, whom I rarely meet for reasons I cannot entirely tell. But unlike me, he seems to have no one.

I decided to watch him from the skies.

And years and years have passed. He's grown into a dashing young man. A teen in common language, perhaps. He's learned to gather the particles and change his clothing. Interesting boy. Was it inherent? Or was he learning from someone? I had not all of my time spent watching him. I have my own life.

I wondered, and kept wondering why this boy never ceased to smile. Is it a curse? Is it his punishment?

I wish to know why this boy seems to take things differently.

I wish to know this boy's history.

Because I know, I am not the only immortal. And he may be key to some of my questions.

I am the Queen of the Dragons, but who is he? Who is this boy who's spent his life wandering and remaining unseen by everyone? Choosing to hide behind the darkness and beneath the shadows, concealed and yearning.

Was he yearning? I wondered. But I only watched him from the skies.

He knew how to lived and he really didn't. I feel pity for this boy. He mostly played pranks because he has nothing and nobody. And I have to admit, they were genius!

Stuck in Midnight Hollow, he wished for company. I've chanced upon him one time, after I've played with the drakes I've nurtured, when I looked and peeked down. He's been following this girl, who's grown ahead of him, and has had her own problems with a real, live and breathing boy. But that wasn't the problem- the problem was she could see him.

They played when she was younger, when she had less friends and a turmoil of a family. Now she shut him out. Refusing to see him, refusing to acknowledge his existence. I can hear their argument faintly.

"Disappear, it's what you were supposed to do in the first place."

"But-"

"Nobody needs you. Leave!"

It was disconcerting. Have I learned to love this boy? I've wished to give him a chance, if I could only sweep him off the curse that is living unseen and bring him to my nest along with the drakes. Alas, I could not.

I could only watch him from the skies.

My sister, Lyall, started taking interest in what she called as my hobby. It certainly wasn't. But who can resist a lost child that needs guidance? I can do nothing and give him nothing but my attention. And it was when my sister came flying through my domain and brought me a potion. I detested magic, it wasn't for me. She took over the house and became the spellcaster. I inherited the raw power that makes what I am.

I took her potion. She gave me time- time to bid and time to play. It was my chance to stop being the lonely watcher that I were and do what these Simlings did.

The potion gave me this ticklish and exhilarating feeling of relief and liberation. At the same time I felt like a nutshell- empty and without the heaviness of my immortal burden.

I descended from the skies, lightly, without drama and effect.

Water! Oh for the love of-

It was water, truly! But I will come back to that later.

I wasted no time. Surely, this boy being himself, would not find it odd that a seagreen lady with wings like myself suddenly came to talk to him.

I followed him to the house he haunts when he had nothing else to do. But I found him trying to talk to the girl, yet again. Poor boy whose lesson he never learns.

He received the same response. Expected. I waited for him to turn his back. I made sure the magic only affected him.

I saw him turn his back and retreated to the house when he saw me. I could see how intrigued he was! And somehow, it gave me a sense of thrill- to be seen, to be heard next. Oh, jolly!

He approached me, floating, being the ghost that he was.

"Lady, why are you barefoot? Aren't your feet cold like that?" He asked and I burst out laughing.
"I don't need shoes, boy. It's the last thing on my mind, and will be in my lifetime." I didn't expect him to understand.
"You're not human, not a vampire, you're not like the residents of this place. Who are you?" He asked, I could sense he was struggling to put the string of words. He had manners but he was curious. A gentleman's descendant? From a noble family maybe?
"A friend. I'm a friend who came down especially for you."
"Sounds like a scam, respectfully, Madam." This boy had humor, it was what my sister didn't have.

"But truly, I wish to know who you are." He asked again.
"You believe in occult, boy?"
"I am. You are. Who wouldn't?" He shrugged, I laughed.
"We'll be good friends. I am Celestia," I paused. "Celestia Wyvern."
"Beautiful name and a beautiful laughter. A shriek and a wail at the same time. A dragon? I'm Hawke." I kept silent for a second.
"Hawke, really?" It appeared to me that he didn't want me to know who he was.
"Yes, Madam." I didn't insist. He might disappear on me and then all my sister's mockery would go in vain.

He liked the company. And it made me happy that this boy didn't have to go crawling to anybody's feet for attention. Only he could see me, and not everybody can see him. It worked for both of us. When time for me to go back came, I would go to that place where I first descended. I nagged my sister into giving me more of the potions, she was unwilling but I insisted. I compelled her, being the only one to make such things. I told her the stories and she didn't seem interested. She was becoming unsettled with my frequent descents. But I didn't pay attention. I came down and the boy and I talked and shared stories.

He liked to talk about his family. Curious. And intriguing.

"I'm not sure if my brothers still remember me. But I'm sure Aveline does. Aveline should. She's my sister."
"You talk about her a lot," I mentioned, once.
"That's because I'm very fond of her. And she was really nice. I like her snow-white hair best, like my mother's. Like my brothers'. Heh, none of them had my dad's raven hair." He mused and smiled to himself.
"You? I suppose your hair is as rich and frosted as your siblings!" I was delighted. A family with snow-white hair? This boy came from a powerful family and he doesn't seem to know it!
"I didn't have hair." I burst out laughing.
"Oh, dear me. I apologize!" I was really sorry, it was childish of me to laugh at such a thing!

When I got home, I asked lore and consulted among the elder dragons. I even asked my sister. This boy, I was right, was special. He was no random stranded spirit. He was wandering because of a tragedy. A fire. A series of conspiracies and threats. He may not even know the truth about his family. It somehow made me sad.

"You don't float very well, do you?" I immediately regretted my lack of tact.
"Apparently not. I can't float over water. I can't fly through the skies. Those stories about ghosts floating and flying is a lie." It wasn't at all bitter, he seemed amused, even.
"Well, there are other things to do."
"What do you mean?" He was slow so I held his hand and we flew through the wind. These wings were convenient- they weren't as heavy as my real wings, and I wasn't as huge.
"This! Why here!" I could see that he wasn't comfortable. I ran and yelled for him.
"Come on, what are you waiting for!" He was slow, really slow. I didn't think ghosts were this slow. Were they? There's more to mortal life that I need to know about.
"You're way too fast! Hold up!" I couldn't wait. It was water! There was no water this collected and big above!

"What are you doing!" He yelled and worried.
"Swimming! Come on, you can't float, right!"
"I can't, it's frightening! How you can think like that, lady!"

I did all I could to convince him, and whatever they were are not important. What is, is that I managed to have him get into the water.

"How does it feel?" I asked, hoping he wasn't angry.
"Weird. I can actually feel the water, but it's just brushing and pushing its current against and past my body." He suddenly snickered. "Thanks, Celestia. It's actually good. But isn't it weird that you're swimming, and your wings-"
"Are decorative. They're particles. Like you." I realized and hoped I have not offended him.
"You didn't offend me." He splashed water to my open mouth. I choked. This boy, did he just hear my thoughts? "Yes, I've heard. They're rather entertaining. Your thoughts."
"Oh, dear. How cruel and ill-mannered to listen to a lady's thoughts!"
"You're not so shy about it, last time I checked."
"You're right!" I retaliated and splashed back. I will not be defeated in this child-play!

He swam away into a swarm of lilies. For a moment, he looked thoughtful.

"You know, Aveline liked waterlilies a lot. She used to paint them, a lot of them and hanged sorts around the house."
"You only talk about Aveline doing things. Your brothers, you? What did you do when you were alive?"
"I mostly pooped my pants." It was blunt and could have been funny. "What can I say? I was barely walking when I died. Three of us, actually. We were a trio."
"Dear. Your mother?"
"What about her?"
"How can your mother conceive three boys!"
"Erm, from where I came from a woman can labor up to eight times and still manage the next year." He doesn't understand. One is suicide, two a murder, three? Three Hawkes was a massacre! No witch in her right mind can conceive three male Hawkes and not die.
"Your mother is special, isn't she?"
"I remember, so. She had this sweet voice and she sang to us every night." He wasn't even conscious that he was aware of his early years. It wasn't normal but it didn't occur to him so. It's true that he doesn't know the truth about his family. His siblings, most likely, as well.

I noticed that I had been able to stay longer in this place before the call for ascent. Was there something in the potion that she put?

"I know a place!" He suddenly blurt out. "Let's get out of here!" He swam back and started his slow trek. I caught up to him.
"You sure you don't want a lift or something?"
"Why would you even suggest that? I can manage."
"But, you know. I don't have forever. I might need to go back soon." He never asked where I went when I left. Maybe part of him still feared that if he asked too much and for too much, I'll leave.
"Fine. Let's go catch butterflies."
"I know a place!" We flew and he was surprised.
"It's the same place. Awesome!"
"You're not the only one who can read minds." I winked.
"Scary."

He caught his butterflies.

I was like a proud mother seeing his son doing these things. Ah, youth. I sighed.

It went on. My sister stopped complaining whenever I asked for her potions. But she told me she might be leaving soon, settle in some remote place and live like a mortal, only that she isn't.

And I did my research. I wanted to help him see his family. Part of me also wanted to see what his family could be if they were all together. Everyone above knows the tragedy. Poor child doesn't know anything.

I hadn't come back in days. I was immersed in research. There must be something I can help him with. When I stumbled on what I needed, I immediately prepared for my descent.

"Celestia!" He stood far from me, shocked.

I turned my back and when I rushed to him, he vanished. I was surprised, was it another trick he learned? I grew worried. What if he didn't come back?

I came looking for him. I couldn't help but wonder if he was in one of those rebellious moods. It made me smile. But the other possibilities made me worry and shut if off my mind. I had to look for him first.

I couldn't find him, and the potion was wearing off. I needed to get back. I tried to watch him from home, looking down. But I couldn't find him. Had something happened? Or was he just mad... I realized that I suddenly disappeared without a word. He must have misunderstood it. I had to try again.

I almost fell head first. What was I thinking, rushing down like that! I can almost hear Lyall scolding me, "That's what those wings are for!"

When I got down, I tried one of my sister's spells. It was nice to have enchanted dust around, I didn't need to be like her. And it worked! I now officially trust all of my sister's spells.

Thank you, dust! I flew my fastest to the graveyard. It had a misty dark aura to it. It was enveloped with malice and hate.

"Garrett!" I called out to him. He was being pulled by the voices in the catacombs. He couldn't hear me.

Think. I ran through the spellbook's pages in my mind and found the one that I needed. I uttered a few words and managed to drag him into a void.

"Garrett!" I called again.
"You," he was still in a trance. "You know my name." I couldn't tell him what I've been doing at home, border-harassing the elders into telling me everything that I needed to know.
"Listen, that's not important. I'm pulling you back to the real world." The moment snapped and we were back, welcomed by the heavy air of the graveyard.

I didn't take it well. I couldn't contain it. "You had me worried!" I almost shook him.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing. There were voices. They were promising me things that I can't remember." It was The Order. It was them, finally.
"Listen, never. It won't happen again. I was really worried, you!"
"Sorry, really. Forgive me." I felt bad. It wasn't his fault. That's when I decided that I will take the role, and tell him what he needs to know about his family and himself. It was enough that his brothers didn't know anything. He needs to know. He needs it to protect himself.

"I'm going to do something to and for you. I beg that you don't ask first. I'll answer everything later." His eyes were wondering, a little scared. I can't blame him. I yelled at him and he doesn't know why.
"I trust you." It broke my heart.
"Thank you." I closed my eyes and prepared myself. I'll be losing a lot of my power for this boy, but it's going to be worth it. I know it.

He looked at me, his eyes never broke away from mine. He wanted to witness everything that happens.

With my forehead to his, I whispered. I asked for help. I prayed, even if I didn't pray- but I pray for this boy. I prayed for him as the spell wrapped me and him, as it wrapped both of us.

I hope Garrett finds his way to his family.

The spell ended; I heard him cry in pain as I lost consciousness.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 23- Losing Hope
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »
I'm sorry that you had to wait three weeks for this update.  :(  Here it is, and I leave you this message:

Say hello and say goodbye.

Losing hope is easy
When your only friend is gone
And every time you look around
Well, it all, it all just seems to change
But hanging on is easy
When you've got a friend to call
When nothing's making sense at all
You're not the only one that's afraid of change

Losing Hope
Jack Johnson

There was only quiet in another realm, where the silent cries of the dead who refused to become one with the realm were heard by nobody but The Mistress, The Lady of the Forest- by Hysteria. There lay nothing but pedestals in memory of souls who have not become part of the realm, and part of her, being its protector. There lay the tombstones in memory of the vagabond, for they cannot go to her, that they can only wander. And she could only listen to them wail in the coming of another soul. It hurt her that she could do nothing because Aveline chose what she did. It was unnatural. She could not collect her daughter for that reason. And Aveline is refused the rite in becoming part of her mother. Bitter how my lovely daughter will be rooted to the world. Bitter how I am to collect souls but not my own's.

The rain had come to Paradiso, bearing sad news from the other realm to those who could understand it. And few like Palmira knew what the rain meant. And when the rain had thinned and left Paradiso, leaving the waves calm and quiet, the silence became tormenting.

Palmira found out too late. The winds of Paradiso sailed as roughly as the waves the rain brought that night. Aveline's message has not come to her and it was the rain that brought her the news. She brought her cold shaking fingertips to her gaping mouth. No. Nan. No. She had no words and she didn't know how to face it, while realizing Azrael's refusal to understand and listen. She held back her tears. There was no way weakness will help her in this moment.

She dialed Azrael. He hasn't come to school for days, and now she was worried if something had happened to him too.

Ring. She tried to call him countless times throughout the day.

Azrael still wasn't answering.

Ring.

There was a click.

Myrrh? The sound was slightly muffled, the line buzzing and cracking. It sounded like the waves were slamming against the rocks.

Palmira: A! She couldn't control it, the sudden outburst took Azrael by surprise.
Azrael: Hey, did something happen? Azrael was worried.
Palmira:  Watcher forbid, where have you gone? You haven't at all come to class today I was so worried. She started to sob, relieved that Azrael answered the phone, finally.
Azrael: There was a pause, a long pause. Azrael didn't know what and how to tell her. Look, I know I should have told you but I've been hanging out with Chase today. Things happened at home and you know, I just found some way out of it. It was a horrible excuse and Azrael knew it. But he was going to stand up to this lie, the way his Nana did with hers.
Palmira: Oh no, her voice was quiet and bothered. Where are you now?
Azrael: Across the island. Breathing some air.
Palmira: She couldn't help it, she had to know so she asked Azrael, are you still with him?
Azrael: You mean Chase? No, I've been going around solo since some hours ago.
Palmira: How long was this some hours ago? She couldn't ask him without inciting suspicion. Look, can you- can you stay there? I'm coming.
Azrael: Hey, you don't have to. I'm totally fine. Just that Nan and stuff. I just can't face her now. I really can't.
Palmira: I know. She hesitated. You don't have to explain anything to me. But please, where exactly are you?

Azrael: He hasn't told her anything and it's only been a few weeks since his Nan arrived. You can't come here, it's dangerous for you to come out this late. What will Theo say if he finds out you snuck out to meet me? Him and Nan are going to kill me. His dark humor wasn't making things better for Palmira. She was heaving and sighing and didn't know how to stop the tears. You're crying? Did something happen?
Palmira: Please, just tell me where you are. She wiped her tears away, but her voice was shaky. I need to know where you are.
Azrael: Don't, I'll come over. Stay there. Just give me an hou-
Palmira: No! Don't! Just, tell me, okay? Azrael froze, the line was silent. He didn't know what to make of it and what to say to her.
Azrael: Myrrh, something must have happened. I just can't have you going all the way here at this hour. I'm coming, okay? Just give me- the line ended.
Palmira: What happened? Oh no. Please, no. She tightened her mouth to a clench. She wasn't sure what happened but she knew who to blame.

She went to her room and found the most convenient clothing she could ransack and hurried to leave, leaving her phone behind. This phone was going to make tracking her easy, and she couldn't have that. It's funny how you think I don't know you bug my phone dad. And she realized late. She shouldn't have made that call. What if... No. He hasn't told me where he is yet.

But Theo was more than capable of finding out where he was. Theo had eyes and ears everywhere.

She headed to the door, surprised to find Theo standing ang blocking the way out.

Palmira: Dad.
Theo: Heading out so late, love? His voice was playful and cruel. I'm home late from work and this is what I see?
Palmira: Love? Disgusting. She couldn't stand how he was using Aveline's very endearment to her and Azrael. I just need some air, that's all. She was nervous and she knew her father knew.
Theo: Well, it's late. We don't want the police catching you doing funny things.
Palmira: Just outside, okay? She was losing this argument, it wasn't even.
Theo: No. You're staying here.
Palmira: Dad! You know where I'm going. You must understand. But I don't understand you and why you're doing what you do, why you did what you did. Why- why you're doing this! Why you let Nana-
Theo: You know why I'm doing this! I'm doing this for you. Dear Aveline didn't die by anyone's hands. She left her body before anything and anyone can do her harm. She transgressed and joined the stars, probably set off to survey the Island. But she can't join her mother. She will be rooted here; she may be rooted to some other world, but wherever the skies will bring her, she hopes to still be there for Azrael and watch over him from there.
Palmira: This is the very reason why mother left you! She wanted to hurt him the way he hurt her. But she wouldn't understand. She never understood why Teodor did what he did. She loved her and what he's been driven to do was the one and only way to keep her alive. He responded the way Palmira expected him to understand, putting on his cynical facade.

For a moment, he seemed hurt. But Palmira knew how her father took things, and he was going to respond to this the same way he does to everything else.

Theo: Yes, yes. Tell me what I don't know, love. But I wonder why she left you. He mocked her perfectly. It made sense to Palmira that he acted the way he did.  Don't you ever wonder? He looked at her, thinking, "if you only know, love. I love you dearly. I loved your mother dearly. And I love Aveline now."

He was a liar and everything you would never want in a father. Everyone believed his facade. He had no choice. But he was the one who loved most, of all.

Palmira: She glowered. Her father knew how to hurt people when he wished to. She was remembering the days locked in that room, while he sent a a fiend pretending to be her to Azrael's house. Nobody doubted. His father had successfully ingrained her very being to that piece of evil. Not even Aveline felt it.
Theo: The fruit of hard work, right, princess? Her father could hear everything. He thinks Aveline knew. And Aveline was kind. She protected Azrael but still let him do what he had to- for Palmira's safety.

Those days in a cold dark room, starving. All for the love of research, isn't it, father? Her sarcasm was obvious.

Theo: Oh, you're suddenly trying to understand. Suspicious girl. You've more bread to eat before you can think the way I do. She doesn't. He was doing this for her and she doesn't know. Poor girl. She and Azrael are both oblivious to the truth.
Palmira: I will never be like you, in any way!
Theo: Really? He inched close to her. Don't you think those eyes are very much mine? You're so much like me, Palmira. You know that. Teodor doesn't believe so. He believes she was destined to correct his mistakes. That she would be the one to make amends. He can only hope.
Palmira: I will never imprison my child for my twisted obsession with science. Teodor didn't imprison her. He hid her from The Order, and unsuccessfully. They found out and forced him to give her to them. Much to Palmira's understanding, it was her father betraying her.
Theo: You don't think it's a good thing? Look at Chase. Chase, who could be die but not really die. Chase was his cursed creation and the one that The Order had forced him into doing.
Palmira: Disgusting. She hated him. She was blaming Fate for being born to a father who is this man.
Theo: Atta, girl! Now that's my princess. Teodor was regretting every second of this argument.

"Dad, please! Let me out! Let me out!" She would lose her voice and drain her energy but Theo would never answer.

She lost count of the days that she was trapped in that room. The last time she saw the light of day was that uncomfortable day in autumn when she came over to play with Azrael. It was also the last time she saw the glory of the moon.

"Myrrh, eh. You're weird, A." Then she would smile.

It was Azrael she thought about whenever she felt sad. She was almost dying everyday and she couldn't understand why her father was doing what he did. She was angry- betrayed and angry. The food came everyday, but she couldn't bring herself to touch it. She was confused and didn't understand. She was young; she didn't understand why her father brought her to this cell.

Theo was no occult, he was a science freak beneath his charismatic smile and toned muscles. It was how he attracted the attention of The Order. When he was younger, he liked it when people thought he was all muscle and no brain. It was fun. He had fun whenever the unfortunate would try to talk to him to a level they thought him right. He liked to look stupid, it made people all sorts of things, and say all sort of things. He was like that to everyone until he met Aveline some years ago, in a secret place, after Florita left him for Alto; became friends with her and ultimately falling inlove with her. He had to show her that he wasn't stupid- it was his childish ego. And it didn't take long until they shared secrets. Aveline knew who to trust- Teodor was one of them. He loved her and she knew. But they both knew and understood what had to take place in the future that was now. And Aveline didn't have Teodor's kind of love for him. They were friends. Aveline was betrothed to a man she never met until Paradiso. And Teodor was the one who arranged for their meeting. Teodor was the one who arranged for their escape from Bridgeport. Because Bridgeport had become increasingly dangerous. He didn't think The Order would plant and nest in Paradiso. It was one of those other mistakes he made.

Aveline was the most fun and the most challenging in The Order's private game. She had her own troubles and The Order treated her like a mouse. He struggled in protecting Palmira and loving Aveline. He knew the day when he had to choose would come, but not too soon.

He was in mourning. She started doing things unfavorable to The Order's position.

She just had to marry Torres. He would grit his teeth and punch the wall. His secret love for Aveline was tragic but he respected who she chose. But The Order wouldn't. Torres was one of The Order's Elite Force. While it amused some of the Elders, it mostly troubled them. What love can drive people to do- they couldn't have Matteo betraying them. And that was the one mistake of the many that they made.

Theo: Are you done reminiscing? He was done reminiscing.
Palmira: You can still change things, dad. He can't. He was too deep into the mud.
Theo: You really think that? Why do you think I'm doing this?
Palmira: I don't know why you're doing this. But please. She was begging him.
Theo: Sorry, princess, but this is me. This is what you'll probably become, too. His every fiber screamed of cynical to Palmira.
Palmira: Then, I'm sorry too. Bye, dad.

Theo wasn't the only one who had tricks up his sleeves. Palmira's coming of age and sacrifice to The Order made exposed her to occult knowledge. She was having shivers. That mark on her neck was a crude method of branding sacrifices. The lengths Theo would go for in the name of science. The lengths Theo would go for to protect her.

Theo did a lot of experimenting. But it was all secluded to the lab. He never experimented on anyone. It was against him. But The Order had their hands on his neck and Palmira's. They will do what they wished. It was what they were. They gave him fiends- beings not entirely man, dolls, robots, everything and anything. He did what they asked him and when they thought he was successful, he would do them to Palmira next- he wanted to equip her with what they equipped themselves. He wanted her to be able to protect herself when the day comes. He loved her and he hoped The Order would not be able to sense it. He hoped and he was still hoping. What he used to take delight on was now making him suffer: the fact that he didn't need to be occult to do superhuman things. That he had science to lean on. He started doing the experiments on himself.
It's not enough that only Palmira can protect herself. I'll need to protect her, too, he would always think to himself. Fools and imbeciles, he would have thought if he were his old self. He could hear his old self laughing at them in silence because nobody would ever understand the glory he harvests for every success. Now I'm biting my elbow. The pride and the vanity. Curse it. The rush of being a youngster, curse it all! Florita left him because he was immersed in his study and his pretense. He didn't love her enough. And she didn't love him enough. Palmira was not a mistake. He was young but his daughter wasn't a mistake. He couldn't understand why Florita left her to him, knowing how he could fail at being her father. And with all the threats dangling by their front door. Oh, the abomination of me being a father! He used to say when he was younger. It was a joke. Now it was a bitter sentiment.

He picked up his phone and called Matteo, speaking in cryptic language, hoping he would understand. The Order bugged his phone, bugged his house. And he couldn't afford to send out any telepathic message with chance of being intercepted. Matteo knew what happened to his beloved Aveline, because the rain came. Both of them found her death hard to accept.

Palmira hurried to places. She crossed waters and earthen terrain in search of Azrael. She found it unfortunate that she couldn't feel things the way Aveline did. She could only hear thoughts, and so far, she could hear none of Azrael's.

She tried all the places she could think of, all the places but home.

Azrael's battery ran out. He needed to go home for the spare he had, hoping Aveline didn't stay up to wait for him. He wasn't ready for another breakout. He wasn't ready to apologize, though he wanted to so badly.

He was surprised to see the house with dead lights. Even the skylight was dead dark. The thought that his Nana left again played through his mind, and he rather liked the idea. He wasn't ready for another ordeal.

He dug his hands to his pocket and walked on. He walked towards the house. Feeling tense, he took them out and made a loose fist.

It was unusually quiet. He could smell a faint stench.

Azrael: That's weird.

He went to his room and got the battery. This was odd. Very odd. He gathered the courage to call out to his Nana.

Azrael: Nan?

Silence. He went to the kitchen. There was no food, nor plates laid on the table. A bite of worry attacked him.

Azrael: Nan will leave food even if she left. I'll have to search the house. Whatever it was he expected to find out, it wasn't what he saw.

Azrael: Nan? He couldn't believe his eyes. Can't be right. I'm seeing things. I haven't had sleep. I had a bad day. I'm having a bad day.

Azrael walked calmly towards Aveline. He was feeling shaky, his heart was pounding fast. It felt like it could tear open his chest. As he walked closer, he found it more difficult to breathe.

He wanted to black out. This wasn't real.

He reached out and touched her hand. Cold. Stiff.

Dead.

Azrael: Nan? He knew she wouldn't answer. He wanted to collapse. This isn't happening.

Azrael couldn't gather himself to speak, or call anyone. It was sad that he didn't know of the nature of the Hawkes' deaths- the one that happened when they left their body.

Azrael: Nana. Your eyes... They bled because the spirit left and never came back before its time came. It was the body crying for its spirit.

He touched to feel the socket. Nothing. Hollow. He wanted the earth to swallow him. It was sadder that he didn't know at all that he could leave his body behind, as well, to escape, to flee from the sorrow.

Azrael: Your hair. Why would- The hair had been one of the most important manifestation of power. Her jet-black hair dissipated into nature, because the spirit left. Earth takes away the body as it takes away the spirit, but the spirit is gone and wandering, without chance of true liberation.

He was too dumbfounded to cry. Too shocked to mourn. Someone from The Order had come here to search the house. They foresaw Aveline's response to a hostile presence. It was absurd, but they had.

Azrael reached out to touch her hand, a piece of paper fell out. Azrael picked it up and read, beneath the moonlight, in the dark. The writing was squibbly and cheap.

Azrael: Thank you for your patronage. They had taken important things from the house.

He looked at Aveline. Barefoot. She was dead. Has been for how long he's gone.

Azrael: Patronage? They dressed her with The Order's funeral clothes to send Matteo what may appear as their sincerest regrets. Azrael grew angry.

He couldn't get himself to touch her again. He doesn't know what she went through. Pain? There was no pain- she peacefully left her body at will, for purposes only she would know. But what did it matter, now she was dead. And he wasn't there.

Azrael: Nana. He started blaming himself. He collapsed, but fought it and didn't lose consciousness. He almost. There he knelt angry and desperate. Sorry that he wasn't there. That he had left her alone. I'm sorry. So sorry. Please. Please. He could plead forever; he could wish and pray that he could have stayed there and endured through the silence and coldness of the house, but it wasn't going to get her back.

Palmira exhausted Paradiso, and she herself was exhausted. She had to see Aveline, and now. Aveline who is most likely cold and waiting.

But she hoped to see that it wasn't true. That Aveline was still there, that Aveline was strong enough to face anything or anyone. But she saw Azrael- Azrael who doesn't know anything. She, herself didn't know what really happened. She blamed and cursed her father.

She ran. She ran to save him. She ran, hoping to save him.

The Mistress mourned to one of the graves. Like Aveline, he wasn't able to go back to her. Like Aveline, he's rooted in some world.

Azrael was never safe in Paradiso. What happened was a siren to The Order.

It begins.

If you'd notice, everyone has a different perspective. I hope that (and the entire story and where it's going) doesn't confuse and tire you, I just had to give each of them some kind of a role in the story. Hence, the multitude reactions and misunderstandings arising from this one event.

With that, I leave a question which I hope helps: Whose reaction is the reflection of what truly happened?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
Well then, I go away for a few days and come back to see you've killed off Nan.
I kid, my gosh that was intense.
This is very immersive, like a book I don't want to put down. I can't even begin to understand how this is all going to play out, and I don't really want to until it does. I can't wait to read more. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »
Well then, I go away for a few days and come back to see you've killed off Nan.
I kid, my gosh that was intense.
This is very immersive, like a book I don't want to put down. I can't even begin to understand how this is all going to play out, and I don't really want to until it does. I can't wait to read more. :)

Thanks, Livvie. As of the moment, I'm having a block.  :-X

Thanks to everyone supporting this story so far!

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 24- This Girl
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:54 AM »
I tried so hard to capture a lightning scene, but it eludes me. To think I've been at it for days.

I wish I could do better by you,
'cause that's what you deserve
You sacrifice so much of your life
In order for this to work.

While I'm off chasing my own dreams
Sailing around the world
Please know that I'm yours to keep
My beautiful girl

When you cry a piece of my heart dies
Knowing that I may have been the cause
If you were to leave
Fulfill someone else's dreams
I think I might totally be lost
You don't ask for no diamond rings no delicate string of pearls
That's why I wrote this song to sing
My beautiful girl

This Girl
Beautifully painted by City and Colour

"A, wake up!" Azrael felt a gentle shake in his shoulders. He tried to open his eyes, but all that he saw was a blur. A weak smile crept to his face when he smelled Palmira's faint summer scent, but he fell back to sweet sedation. "A!"

Nothing. It was darkness again. He woke up feeling thick air wrap against him, but went to a trance. Azrael could barely tell where he was, or what he was doing, but he felt light and funny.

It's been years since, and through those years, he's seen his brother trapped and entangled in an intricate web of lies. Aveline entrusted Azrael to this woman, Palmira. She seems to genuinely care for Azrael. But- he trailed off and looked out the window.

Garrett, a secret voice pulled him away from reverie. This sweet voice accompanied him all these years. A voice who wasn't just a voice- not the voice that haunted Azrael until he shut himself from her, or her from him; not the voice that promised to plague their youngest brother, Carver, throughout his life. Her life, Garrett. Stubborn and narrow-minded Carver is no more. Your brother's learned to love, yet he's still to learn to ask for forgiveness. Her words rang of sincerity and wisdom. They've both seen what his brothers have been through, what they've seen, and felt. What they knew, and didn't.

Of course. Carver Hawke is no more. I've lost my brother. He sighed, but he was relieved. He's embraced the change that daunted him, he brought his fingers to his lips.

Has he really? Her question, her manner of asking disturbed the peace that took him so long to achieve. Was she talking about Carver, or his almost demented brother, Azrael? Garrett, let your brothers go.

Garrett turned to face the door. There stood Celestina, his little Celestia- a being part of the dragon queen, a part of her that she left him when she ascended. He could hear her very words that day, This is the end, Garrett. This is the end. You'll see no more of me. But take her. Take this beautiful child, but expect her to be different. She will be trapped in that body forever, she will always ask. She knows nothing about the world. I leave her to you. Love her.

True to her word, Celestia never appeared again, and it left Garrett devastated. The power she gave him was not enough to search for her and Aveline. Decay and transmutation. Decay and heightened senses were useless. He needed her answers. He needed her now, more than any day.

Impossible, he started to pace back and forth, past and by the treacherous flame that struggled to break free from the fireplace. Impossible.

Your brothers, why do you love them? She cocked her head to the side. All these years of watching you, and I still don't understand. I don't understand what your kind call "feelings" and what they're for. They only seem to hurt you.

He touched her cheek lightly, Celestia was right. You were bound to ask questions. Celestina took her seat near the door.

Garrett thought of his past- his early years with his brothers and their older sister, Aveline. His family, his mother Hysteria, and father Abaddon, whose name meant to destroy. Azrael, you were supposed to bring death. Death to The Order and its corruption. That's why mother gave you that name. You were chosen by The Fates.

Your brother, he- Celestina reached to touch Garrett's hand. She felt, and she felt frightened of what was to come.

He didn't hear her. Whose death are you to bring now? Garrett clicked his tongue. Carver was trapped in a cycle of rebirth. Azrael in ignorance. Whose death are you going to bring, now that you're back to remembering nothing?

Garrett, I'm scared. She could see darkness wrap around Garrett.

There, there, Celestina. Getting scared is feeling. He paused, remembering something. Scaring you was the one thing I swore I wouldn't do. I guess I failed. He let out a sound to mock himself. He let out a regretful laugh.

You're not going to do something, are you? Celestina was still a child. Her confidence and maturity vanished in an instant.

This is what it's like to feel, Celestina. And no, he tightened his hand around her little hand, I'm sorry. But I'll need to do something. I've watched all these years. It's time to do something. Garrett put Celetsina to bed and left.

He vanished and appeared in the catacomb. His haven and his foothold. His home when he wanted to be alone.

He gathered all the family artifacts he could muster and stashed them in a secret place. He managed to track everyone who dared touch his sister and retrieved the secrets, the book that The Order stole from the house in Paradiso. He retrieved everything that he could, even risking himself getting discovered in Bridgeport.

Aveline is gone now, and I can't find her.

He took the book that his grandfather wrote, which opened only blank pages. What did this book have that The Order wanted? Celestia didn't tell him everything. She didn't foresee this happening; Garrett hungering for answers, Garrett trying to protect everyone by himself. Celestia should know. But Celestia can help him no more. She's gone and joined the earth, absorbed into a keeper that was like his mother. Celestia joined the keeper of Monte Vista, the Scythe of the West.

His mother was the keeper of all, until she loved and left, until she turned her back on carrying everyone's death. It was when The Fates weaved and The Earth birthed to four keepers, three of which have surrendered to Hysteria in her return. But the youngest, the stubborn one, refused to go back and join her. The Scythe of the West delighted in death and the power it gave her. She refused to acknowledge Hysteria's return.

Nobody but Hysteria knows.

Garrett replaced the book in the shelf, among others. Among bookshelf others.

Garrett! It was Celestina, she screamed. He immediately flew to see her. Garrett, stay. Please stay.

Celestina, what's wrong? She was deteriorating. She was dying. With Celestia's death, she had no more source to tap.

I'm going to die. I'm going to die. His little girl was crying. She wasn't his, but the years taught him. Celestina became his sister, his daughter, his best friend. Garrett, she was shaking.

But Celestia is immortal. he thought to himself. This must mean... This must be why I can't find her now. He cursed himself for being weak and wielding power years late. I'm sorry Celestia, he prayed to her and looked at the little girl that cowered in his arms. I'm sorry, Celestina. I'm sorry.

He can't stand watching her fear what she doesn't know. She had no concept of death, and he can't watch her suffer.

What he chose to do next broke his heart. Whether he had a choice or not eluded him. He kissed her forehead goodnight. Goodnight, Celestina. He touched and hugged her until she withered away.

Garrett looked outside Celestina's window. Goodnight, Celestina. Goodbye.

It rained hard that night, like the nightmare of long ago. It was his mother sending for Celestina. It was his mother sending him her own tears.

In the days that followed, Garrett remained somber. I'm sorry, Celestina. I'm sorry love. Rest. He sat Eli in Celestina's favorite seat, the wolf toy that she loved so much, and watched the flame with him. Garrett watched his brothers with Eli.

He clenched his hand as he faced the fire.

He saw Palmira.

He saw Azrael.

They were happy.

He stood up and brought Eli close to him. He held Eli and watched him crumble and die away. Eli tore and fell until he was no more.
Rest.

Celestina's death made Garrett lose control.

He stayed away from the catacombs after that day. The catacombs had stigma that comforted him. But he stayed away.

He decided to dig her grave in that form.

Buried what remained of her, and wept for her.

It was like Celestina sensing his suffering. She offered him relief.

Relief from the burden that always threatens to come again. It was temporary.

Azrael and Carver were both in Sunlit Tides. It's time big brother arranged a reunion.

Lightning lit the weeping night that spread over Midnight Hollow. Soon, the soil dried. It stopped raining in Midnight Hollow.

Well, then. I guess the Hawkes have their own set of instabilities.  :P

And, that concludes it! See you at III!

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:40 AM »
I realized how I don't have a decent photo of Garrett in the chapter, so here it is.

Yes, this pose is intended to make up for what I lacked. As for Carver [His male Hawke form], it's going to take a while until that kiddo makes an appearance. I can't promise.

Someone actually downloaded this off imgur. I LOL'ed.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
I'm sorry, everyone! I haven't kept track of my bandwidth use. And I'm not exactly willing to upgrade, so it might take a while as I'll be moving some files. It resets on the 30th. That's 13 days from now. Sorry!

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Notice
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
Erm. I'm currently having problems finding an image hosting site (which I can use), so even if I'm itching to upload the next chapter I can't.  :'(

Bear with me.

Offline cainspath

• Townie
Re: Blood of the Mayfair: Chapter 25- Inaudible Melodies
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »
I'm actually just after the title.

And just slow down everyone
You're moving too fast

Inaudible Melodies
When you feel that you're left behind, Jack Johnson

Hysteria Witcher-Hawke whispered for the winds to come. The air had been unrelentingly still. It became unsettling for Hysteria. It became unsettling even for the True Mayfair Witch. The realm was unceasingly getting into a deeper turmoil with her condition, The Order's ambitions, and her sons and daughter's fates. She sent for the other dragons, pleading, dressed in her guise as one of The Order's overseers. She had no chance, nor time to be in her funeral clothes. Hysteria had neither time, nor chance to mourn the loss of her loved ones. Even if I had, it was but brief, words of sorrow inaudible to all but those who possessed power.

Hysteria was slowly breaking down, carrying herself out and into the realm had become increasingly difficult for her. It became harder, and she took more effort and time to do what she had to do. With the realm dying, she was dying, too. Her power had depended on the realm. The realm's life was her life, and it's only lasting for so long.
Would I not see my grandchildren gathered together before I rest? She laughed weakly. Her dark humor had been carried down the bloodline.

She thought about Abaddon Hawke, the only Hawke who had no grain of power, and the Hawke she had loved more than Zarall. Abaddon was so named to destroy The Order. Such a lovely name, she would always whisper to him in his sleep, but Abaddon understood none of it. He married a woman enigmatic and almost always cryptic. Despite the mystery, despite her refusal to reveal her past, sweetness had not failed to bare its fangs and to sink into his soul. You're most lovely, he would answer should he wake. Our children are as lovely, and he would fall back into his slumber.

I miss you, love. I miss you dearly, Hysteria sent him her love.

She listened to the hopes Garrett sent her. She listened to the cry of her son.

Garret lay almost dead on the bed. He changed Celestina's sheets into the gray that appeases his tormented soul. He thought about her and how he failed to use the power the dragon queen gave him. But whatever he did, he couldn't die. He both loved and hated Celestia for that. And he misses his mother and her soothing lullaby. He wishes she could sing to her now, because Celestina wasn't there to cure his loneliness. He wishes to tell his mother how he knows, but not everything. He wishes to tell her that he needs her to tell him, because Celestia was no longer there. For so long he wandered worlds through worlds. He could still do so now, but he was stuck- he didn't know what to do.

Days ago he stayed cooped in her room, and did what he did best: mourn. Celestina was the sweetest girl, despite the questions she can ask, and how cruel they can be in bringing back memories he never had, in reminding him of what Celestia's told him before she left to ascend. He thought about how he needed to leave Midnight Hollow for his siblings. But he couldn't leave Celestina's memories in their home to be eaten away by time and emptiness. Garrett was afraid of losing the comfort this mansion offered. He was afraid to step out of the void that he created since Celestia left.

Garret, The Fates chose your brother. Do not blame your mother for any of this. He would mumble, whenever he thought about the other things that Celestia told him. He loved Celestia, she was every woman to him, but all she gave him were sad gazes when she thought he wasn't looking. Celestia wasn't for him, and he wasn't for Celestia. I'm not for anybody.

His thoughts wandered to the past, back to when Matteo saved Aveline's remains and kept her safe and away from the eyes and grasp of The Order. He didn't know how long he could keep his cover, because he was breaking down himself. He didn't know if The Order was turning a blind eye on him because he was elite, or he was using him for their plans. Eitherway, he savored the peace they gave him when Aveline died. Then he disappeared. Garrett didn't know where he vanished to. Garrett doesn't know that he has a niece, that he has a beautiful niece, Quillaia. Their mother had cloaked the entire island to protect his daughter and her family, and hiding them even from the eyes of who can help them, because it was the only thing that she could do for them. And it didn't last. The security she hoped for them hadn't lasted.

Garrett delved deeper and found himself happy for Azrael. Still, he would weep at how he's ignorant and oblivious of everything, when it was him that The Fates have chosen, when it was him that Aveline tried so hard to protect. When it was only him that their mother had gone to see. Garrett hoped for their mother's voice, her touch. Garrett longed for their father's wit and whims.

He spun a story in his disheveled mind.

A love story ago, a man, Abaddon and a woman, Hysteria, met. The woman staged to meet the man, still holding the secrets of her past love, his grandfather, Zarall.

Hysteria was daughter of The Fates, woven and spun from their lives. The Earth breathed life into her, and gave her sole responsibility of keeping the order in every realm. She was longer than time itself. She was as old as the oldest realm, and she enjoyed looking at the people through the mild water from the falls. She liked to listen to the voices that echoed from every drop of rain that falls into the The Forest. She was the story in every young witch's dreams, she was the legend and myth. She was the truth they couldn't see. She was The Mayfair Witch. But it wasn't for forever.

Zarall was a lonely wizard. Where there were people, he kept away. Where there were feasts, he fled. He preferred his solitude and his dragons. Everyone knew that. The Order knew that, and they wanted his power.

Hysteria grew fond of this lonely man she chanced upon in one of her vicarious adventures through realms. She learned to love this man, she learned to understand his loneliness, and she has seen how an order named after her in its vanity had used witches and men alike for their end.

The Order used witches to tap into the Hawke bloodline. But none had survived. They died before a child could be born, and the child died with them. Until they heard of Zarall's insanity. They couldn't see Hysteria, they didn't see their love. And when they cast away the insanity by blinding him, they cast away their love. And they brought Esther out of her magical prison for their purposes. Esther was the woman in the painting in the consignment shop. Esther was the same woman framed in Aveline's room. And Esther was their great-grandmother. She alone had been able to withstand the changes that happened in her as the seed grew to become a child. Esther was the one who found out the clockworks behind the deaths of witches, and she was the one who found out how to survive it, how to use the Hawkes and siphon the power to the child-bearing witch. The result of which was death- Zarall's death. And the birth of Raziel and the Order haunting.

Hysteria watched all of this happen and only wept. But time passed and she intervened with The Order. She was there when Shannan came in the rain, with child, in her spirit form.

Then the right moment came. She ventured out and tasted life for the second time, with the black of her hair faded with time. With her power continuously growing.

Garrett sighed. Great-grandmother Esther. Great-grandfather Zarall. Grandfather Raziel and Grandmother Shannan. Azrael. Palmira.

His mind ventured into one of Azrael's happy moments.

Into happier moments.

Pure happiness.

Moments which can turn tragic upon the birth of the next Hawke.

Father was the only one; Grandfather Raziel skipped through Dad. Garrett went to see Celestina for the last time.

Again, Hysteria Witcher isn't my sim. She's Helena Snowqueen by Pralensims from TSR. Kudos to her!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
Woah! So now Palmira and Azrael are married?!
This story is getting so intense! WHAT in the world happens upon the birth of the next child - because if Palmira falls ill or dies we may have to warn people that Palmira does NOT make a good spouse as this is double proof that she's too frail to bring on the next generation.  ::)
Heh, I kid.
I'm really excited, I just want to keep reading! :)

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
I love your screenshots ... they are so dramatic! Now I'm extremely curious to see what happens with the next Hawke.