Author Topic: Inexpensive Ornate Rugs!  (Read 3210 times)

Dellena

Inexpensive Ornate Rugs!
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »
If you're into decorating your houses and want to spice up a room.  You might consider a rug.  But they can be expensive - the largest, the Chandelier Rug, is 300.  And you only get two channels to play with to try and make it look ornate.

Well if you have Ambitions, I have a top tip for you!

Ceiling Tiles

In build mode and flooring, there's a tab called Ceiling Tiles.  The beauty of these is they can be use on the floor or ceiling.  It's also much cheaper to make an ornate looking rug with these tiles since they only cost 6 to 11 each.  Here's some examples of what I managed to do in my Villa Capri Mansion (which I started playing but there's so much in the house that it was lagging, so I've opted to remove nearly all the rugs and use this method - now they're just floor tiles but look gorgeous!):

I used carpet patterns that I had for the 'background' and then a metallic pattern for the scroll work.

This time I used one of the rock patterns for a marble effect and again, a metallic pattern for the inlay.

I'm pretty pleased with these.

I hope you find this useful.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Inexpensive Ornate Rugs!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
Very clever, Dellena.  I like the looks of these.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
These look awesome! The buyable rugs in game always infuriated me because of how limited they are.

Plus, using floor tiles instead means that you can put them by fireplaces without risking a fire.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:26 AM »
I love your recolours of the tiles, Dellena!  I've used ceiling tiles on the floor in the past, but mine have never looked as wonderful as yours do.  Thanks for sharing those great ideas.  :)

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »
I think patterns are the safest type of CC that you can get.  There's no mesh involved, etc.  So even people who don't like to use CC, could safely use patterns created by third parties.  We have some nice pattern makers right here.  I get a lot of mine from The Sims Resource (not linking anything).  I like to have more variety of several types of tiles.  Wood patterns are a big one for me and fabrics.  I also have a select number of carpet patterns which I really like.  You'll see a few of them above in my screenshots.  If you're looking to add something new to your game but are afraid of CC, don't be afraid of patterns.  I never had a pattern or heard of a pattern messing anything up.  They aren't objects, just available textures.  So nothing really to mess up.  And you can spice up your builds that way very easily.  If anyone would like a link to a few of my recommended pattern artists at The Sims Resource, send me a PM.

Offline MagpieC

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »
Thankyou for that idea, it looks gorgeous. I have actually just built a mansion that could do with something more interesting on the floor.

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:02:29 AM »
So creative! I never thought of using ceiling tiles on the floor. :(
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
I've used floor tiles before for rugs, but never thought about using ceiling tiles! Very clever and nice!