Author Topic: Carving Out Your Niche  (Read 36468 times)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Re: Carving Out Your Niche
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:46 AM »
Fun and quick.

Money made: 67,091
Unique Sculptures: 33
Total: 110,700

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2014, 01:38:58 AM »
Leoa da Vinci created 36 unique sculptures and made 75,146.

Money earned = 75,146
Unique sculptures = 36 x .05 = 1.8 + 1.0 = 2.8

Total = 75,146 x 2.80 = 210,408

I am really looking forward to the next challenge :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2014, 01:42:22 AM »
Fun and quick.

Money made: 67,091
Unique Sculptures: 33
Total: 110,700

Hi MomOfMany,

I showed your total to be 177,791. I think you forgot to add the 1.0 multiplier that everyone starts with.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2014, 06:35:15 AM »
This event is now closed. Great job to everyone that participated. It was a fun one — lots of players jumped in which I love to see at the end of the season. :) Grats to GlazeyLady on beating the large field. Everyone is free to now share their strategy.

---------

Well, let's see ...what did I do? I chose what I felt were obvious traits — Ambitious, Saavy Sculptor, Loves the Outdoors, Overemotional, and Loner. I did the usual tricks of keeping him up with beans. I purchased the Artisan Crafter reward very early on to make the sculptures more valuable, but you'll notice several players made more money than I did. I felt the multiplier was really where it was at, so I looked at the scoreboard at the time when I did my effort and had a number in mind to get to for the uniques. The first week I concentrated on getting the challenge done of 20 sculptures to increase sculpting speed, so I did 20 clay right off the bat to finish that challenge. I then switched and focused on the 5 sculptures of each type to make them more valuable. Then I basically went back to clay to boost my multiplier until I thought I was at a point where it would be hard to top. I got to that point with the multiplier at the beginning of the 2nd week and then just did dragon topiaries over and over until the end of the challenge to focus on money.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2014, 07:04:55 AM »
Did anyone use the forum's sculpting information? I didn't get a chance to jump in, but I think this would have made it a piece of cake! and sculpture list? I'd have been cranking out the Dragon Topiaries, because they improve in value the fastest. This would have to be my favourite challenge this year, and I will absolutely be coming back to it. +1 and thumbs up for the best challenge idea!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
I err just followed the same strategy I do when I'm trying to get my sculptor ready to be an ice personality. I did five clay, then I switched to ice, then stone then topiary, then wood, then metal.  While I was merrily carving away at the ice, I realized that the point wasn't wasn't to have unmelting ice sculptors or to supermax sculpting, but rather to get the most money possible from sculpting.

By the time I realized that, it was almost at the end of the two weeks.

Oh yes, I got one opportunity for the entire two weeks, that was the sculpting one in which I had to save the kid at the school who had entered the clay. I had to cancel it of course, but I found it amusing that I only got a single op for the two weeks, and despite having into the future loaded, it was a skill opportunity.

I did use the list of sculptures from the sims wiki and listed them on a spreadsheet. I combined all of the ice/clay/stone/wood into one list, and had the metal and topiary ones listed separately. At one stage, I even sculpted a gnome of sculpting and pondered keeping him around instead of selling him to see if he'd help me complete my sculptures, but ended up selling him.

Congrats to GlazeyLady on her victory and to everyone for competing. I was pleased that I led the table for about half an hour. lol.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
Congratulations GlazeyLady, very well done.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
I discovered these challenges in early 2011 and have played most of them since that time (although a few times I've forgotten to post my score).  I've learned so much from them and have really had a lot of fun playing them.  It's exciting to actually win one!

My traits and strategy were very much like Metro's.  I made Chisel a fairy with Loner,  Easily Impressed, Savvy Sculptor, Loves the Outdoors, and Ambitious traits.  I went with fairy so he could use the Aura of Creativity to learn sculpting faster, so he could sleep in a fairy house, so he could have fast food with a positive moodlet, and so he could Talk to Plants for social without using a trait slot for Green Thumb.

Like Metro, I went for unique sculptures in the beginning, and then for money at the end. I wanted to get Chiselmeister for faster sculpting as soon as possible, so I planned to sculpt just clay until completing that.  At 20 sculptures done, I'd gotten 19 unique clays and 1 unique wood (which I sculpted to grant a wish when I temporarily forgot my strategy to stay with clay :o). 

I don't know if staying with one medium helped me get that many unique sculptures in a row or if that was just a fluke, but it happened in my test and in my game.  So I continued sculpting clay because I was getting a lot of uniques, and because I could fail faster with clay – it didn't take as long to know if I had a duplicate.  As soon as enough fell off to see if it was something I already had, I scrapped the dupes with just a “Decorated” moodlet, indicating Normal or Good, and only kept ones with a “Nicely Decorated” moodlet, indicating Brilliant or Masterpiece.   

I was up to 33 unique clays (and 1 unique wood :D), when a random sim wandered onto the lot and I took the opportunity to sculpt him.  By that point, I was scrapping more and more duplicate clays, and after the ice sim, I scrapped 6 or 7 dupes in a row.  I was at the middle of the second week and still had metal sculptures and topiaries to do, and I knew I'd get uniques from those, so I switched to metal and got 4 uniques with only two dupes. Then I started, and scrapped, 4 SimBot Scraps in a row and gave up on metal (didn't get Shapely Conundrum).  I switched to topiaries, and stayed with them for the rest of the time.  That gave me 4 more uniques, and a lot of Simoleons.

I didn't go for the Master Sculptor challenge, even though it would raise the value – since stone takes so much time to complete, and the challenge was so short, I thought I'd get a better return spending that time on clays (looking for uniques) and topiaries (looking for money). 

Thanks for a really fun challenge and congrats to everyone who joined in!

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
Congratulations GrazeyLady.  I took a vampire this time with savvy sculptor, ambitious, hates the outdoors, lucky, and loner.  Ate plasma fruit and coffee beans.  I think choosing to try to get the unique sculptures in ice instead of clay is why I stopped getting them.  I also never scrapped any, I figured they were still worth money, but it would be better to scrap them.  Congratulations.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
I did the same thing Christina! I thought about scrapping them but I thought the money would be more important than the multiplier.  I should have known better.

Offline joker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »
Congratulations GrazeyLady

After completing the Chiselmster challenge. My Sim kept sculpting (Gloria in clay) .i thought money is the most important factor.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
GlazeyLady, why pick Easily Impressed?  What does that trait do for you?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
GlazeyLady, why pick Easily Impressed?  What does that trait do for you?

Actually, it didn't do anything for me, and I meant to pick excitable, for the moodlets I thought it would give me, but I accidentally picked the wrong one and then had no way to change it.  So, it didn't help, but it didn't hurt either.

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »
Congratulations GrazeyLady on your win :)

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »
I'll join everyone with the "Congratulation Glazeylady!" But I must also congratulate Metro, Blackrosea and Lena, great job you guys!

I'll also say that I've always had a theory that your performance in this game is affected by how well you computer runs, so after doing the next two challenges I'll have mine checked. For this challenge my Sim, Augustine Rodin, sculpted the "Dragon Dougherty" as her 16th unique, being a topiary she had already mastered sculpting skill (and the artisan crafter LTR and probably a challenge), and that topiary was worth $578, so Augustine made another dragon... I read everywhere those dragons were very valuable; it was worth $591... what a difference  :P . Then I thought to do the same sculpture in all the materials, to take advantage of her gained knowledge in a specific scupture, so I had Augustine "sculpt in clay": she made a "dinner party perfect chair" that was worth $2982; I thought "Yay! I can't wait to see how much that same sculpture will be worth in stone!"... it was worth $842. So, you see, my game doesn't make sense. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, its just that I can't make... statistics.

I really enjoyed the challenge and had lots of fun! Thanks team!
¡Pura vida!