Author Topic: Outdoor Retreat - First Impressions  (Read 35040 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Outdoor Retreat - First Impressions
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
As we usually do, I think it's appropriate to have a first impressions thread for this game pack to help people who are indecisive about buying it.

I myself am very pleased with the new area of Granite Falls, which has 2 neighborhoods and a hidden area, although a lot of it is open wilderness it is still nice to explore and hunt down uncommon plants. It's great that we can again catch insects (plenty of variety), 5 new fish, 10 new plants (herbs), and the herbalism skill itself seems to be as well-featured as any other in the game. There are some nice details like woodpeckers on the trees, and I'm looking forward to this Hermit. I've got my Sim exploring a cave and will likely get to update the Hidden Areas page and turn it into a section :) Overall an awesome value when compared to similarly priced products like worlds and stuff packs.

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
My time has been limited with it, but I'm enjoying this.  I do personally find it better value than the Stuff Packs from the Sims 2 and Sims 3 era, as well as much of the store content.

Of course, $20 may still be a bit high (and I feel for those in Australia/New Zealand where it is double that), but remember, to compete with the likes of Steam, etc. EA does hold semi-regular discounts on Origin, and I'm sure content like this will also be for sale if you are willing to wait.

I've got my Sim exploring a cave and will likely get to update the Hidden Areas page and turn it into a section

Yep, there is a hidden area :D  (This was confirmed officially).  I look forward to seeing it ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
Besides the usual "stuff" (clothes, hair, furniture), and camping goodies, there's a new painting style -- landscapes, medium size but costing $100. There are also new recipes on the grill, and I think some new books that you can buy at the ranger station (I don't know if they're also available on the home bookcase). One book is the Herbalogy skill book, but the others seem to be fiction.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Lytaren

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
I'm thinking about it now that they have somewhat fixed the AUS price to $30 instead of $40.  But since I have limited internet does anyone know what size the download was? I cant find it anywhere on Origin.

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
I'm thinking about it now that they have somewhat fixed the AUS price to $30 instead of $40.  But since I have limited internet does anyone know what size the download was? I cant find it anywhere on Origin.
I'll try to remember to include the download size for things like this in the future.  And I understand having limited Internet, and not wanting to go over bandwidth. 

Double-checking, it is 660 MB (rounded up)

Offline Lytaren

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
Thanks heaps. Its really frustrating that they don't say the size until you have paid the money.  No point buying it until you can download it.  But its my lucky day I guess since I have 1gb left and a couple of days in billing month.

Offline Caitie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
I'm in love. Seriously, I think this is my favorite of the expansion/game/stuff packs in a long time. I love the camping, I love the exploring, I love everything.

Two annoyances: 1) you can't live in Granite Falls (and I want SO BADLY to have my simmie living in a tiny log cabin tucked in the woods, which isn't possible in either of the residential worlds), and 2) you can't plant the woods harvestables at home (which was surprising and very disappointing, because those harvestables are used in a lot of herbal remedies, which means that whenever you run out you can't just run out to your garden, but you have to go back on vacation).

But it is so easy to make friends camping, and the camping activities are so much fun. Also, roasting things over the campfire = free food!

Word to the wise: go prepared with at least a tent, chair, and shower. The rest you can do without, but those things are absolutely essential. Otherwise you'll be sleeping in the national forest's lounge's sofa, or paying $10 to use the public showers!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
I'm in love. Seriously, I think this is my favorite of the expansion/game/stuff packs in a long time. I love the camping, I love the exploring, I love everything.

Two annoyances: 1) you can't live in Granite Falls (and I want SO BADLY to have my simmie living in a tiny log cabin tucked in the woods, which isn't possible in either of the residential worlds), and 2) you can't plant the woods harvestables at home (which was surprising and very disappointing, because those harvestables are used in a lot of herbal remedies, which means that whenever you run out you can't just run out to your garden, but you have to go back on vacation).

But it is so easy to make friends camping, and the camping activities are so much fun. Also, roasting things over the campfire = free food!

Word to the wise: go prepared with at least a tent, chair, and shower. The rest you can do without, but those things are absolutely essential. Otherwise you'll be sleeping in the national forest's lounge's sofa, or paying $10 to use the public showers!

I've seen several people on the official forums talking about planting the woods harvestables at home, doing cuttings and grafting etc - maybe your gardening skill isn't high enough? My sim's skill isn't high enough for me to test it myself, as I created a newbie outdoors type.

You can buy a tent and chair from the rangers station, but not the shower, I don't think.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline TheGoat

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:07:45 AM »
So far, this "game pack" seems to be put together very well. A few notes that people may find of interest before buying:

1. If you're used to spending $20 on a stuff pack, you will find this to be a great value. If you are used to buying expansion packs, you may find the added content a bit thin, but I think it's worth the money. If anything, this game pack reminds me more of a neighborhood purchase in the Sims 3, but with slightly more robust premium content.

2. Go hiking if you want to explore the area. The trees are too thick to explore with the camera, and you can passively follow your sim to see what's out there, where wild plants might be, etc.

3. During a 2-day vacation, my sim was able to complete the first stage of the new aspiration (10 wild plants, 5 fish) without any skill in fishing, gardening or herbalism to start. And he had plenty of time to do other things.

4. I'm a story simmer, not a power simmer, so I find myself getting bored after a few weeks and starting a new game on a regular basis. I think there is enough content to give my families much richer lives and keep my interest longer.

5. Here's how manage worlds works with Granite Falls. Time runs in both Granite Falls and the home worlds at the same time. You may freely switch between families you have sent on vacation and families back home. You may split up families, and send only some of them on vacation, and freely switch between them and those household members who stayed home. However, the game will also populate granite falls with some other vacation groups. You may not take control of them, even if they are not homeless. You may, however, force them to end their vacation early. One aspect of this I have not tested is whether or not you may switch control to a household that you have previously played, but who have gone on vacation autonomously. Obviously, it will take a little luck for that situation to arise. Addendum: I noticed Mortimer Goth autonomously went on vacation by himself, so I selected Bella to play, and Mortimer came home from his vacation when the household loaded up.

6. You may also invite other sims you know who live in different households with you. I have not done this yet, but a lot of comments out there seem to suggest those other sims will wander off if you do not invite them to spend the night at your vacation lot.

Overall, I like this new game pack idea. I suspect they will end up releasing a lot of them, which will allow us to pick and choose which aspects to add to our games without committing to full-blown expansion packs that may only appeal to us partially. The way this game pack is set up would easily lend itself to other "traveling" packs, such as a University pack. I'm curious what they will do with global additions, however, such as a Seasons expansion - will it be a free addition like pools and ghosts, or a game pack, or even a full-sized expansion? Should be interesting to see how they deal with this in the future.

goat

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:27 AM »

That seems  odd about your plants. I watched the live broadcast yesterday and SimGuru Sarah said that you could take them home to plant in your garden.

And about staying there. I know it wouldn't be quite the same but she did say once there you could stay indefinitely if you want.  If you're going to have a family any pregnant Sims would have to go back to the "real" world to have the baby though.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
I'm going to jump in and assume that not being able to plant these things at home is a bug that will be corrected. I've started a garden on my vacation lot, but am shocked that of all the plants I picked up I only have 3/10. I realize at $800/day it might be hard to survive living there. I see that you can extend vacation,  but I guess the main problem in living in GF is not being able to do your career or raise a family etc. while there.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
I'm going to jump in and assume that not being able to plant these things at home is a bug that will be corrected. I've started a garden on my vacation lot, but am shocked that of all the plants I picked up I only have 3/10. I realize at $800/day it might be hard to survive living there. I see that you can extend vacation,  but I guess the main problem in living in GF is not being able to do your career or raise a family etc. while there.

It's really $800 a day? Wow things have changed! :D We used to be able to park our RV for about 25 or less.

I do wish that they had made this as an optional livable neighborhood and a vacation one. It would be more tempting for me to buy.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »
I'm going to jump in and assume that not being able to plant these things at home is a bug that will be corrected

I've been able to test this now, and I've had no problem planting the new ones at home.

Maybe try a different plant or two, Caitie, and make sure they are identified ones?
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
I must say I am pleasently suprised by this game pack  ;D going on vacation wasn't my favorite thing in the former sim games, but I just loooove how GF is put together. I got 3 of my sims camping with tents and stuff. At first I was really confused, but then I realised that you can take a lot of camping items with you in your inventory from home, and then put it there. Also you can buy equipment there if you like.
It reminded me a lot of how my own family goes camping and that made it very awesome to me  :D
I was pleasantly suprised by the amount of content I got for €20. Quite a lot of furniture and stuff, some clothes and new hairstyles, new trait and aspiration and the new world, insects and fish. Yeah, I would love to see more packs like this!

However, I hope they'll still release expansion packs too, because I liked the way they were in the former sim games. 

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »
Time runs in both Granite Falls and the home worlds at the same time.

If this is true, this is quite good, personally. One of the things I found weird in traveling in the Sims 3 is that aging stops, and that's so strange, reaiity wise.

I haven't got the pack yet, but I'm excited about it. When they said in-between, they really meant in-between.
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

anything