Author Topic: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread  (Read 161306 times)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Re: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2022, 02:00:29 AM »
And the fireplaces are such a fire-risk, I'm thinking you wouldn't want one on every floor. Tech-guru seems like the right career and you're clearing that soon? Hang in there. Your Sims will be so happy!

Offline ArtdefinesSimmer

• Llama Wrangler
  • It's sims o'clock somewhere
    • Fun with my Sims
« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2023, 11:05:06 PM »
this thread is long dead but with the new survivor mod I wanna try it so I'm reading though everyones old tips and looking for any good worksheets or spreadsheets to help organize.

Also it looks like a lot of this was before Sulani restrictions of needing conservationists and eco living planners came out. Seems much harder now but im going to give it my best
Yes, I truly thought I was the first one to name a legacy family Legassi...

More Pictures - More Stories - My Website!
www.funwithmysims.info

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2023, 02:36:17 AM »
Hi @ArtdefinesSimmer - I love the concept of this challenge. I had a go at a version of this challenge using a ruleset modified by @Florrie64 - also out of date now.

With so many available careers with the many expansions, it got quite confusing and I failed twice, the second attempt here

I would like to have another go but was thinking I'd hang all restrictions on just the base game careers or pick a limited set of preferred careers, the number to be determined by roughly 4×generations.

I'd be interested to see what rules etc you decide on. All the best on your attempt.

Offline ArtdefinesSimmer

• Llama Wrangler
  • It's sims o'clock somewhere
    • Fun with my Sims
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2023, 01:53:34 PM »
Hi @ArtdefinesSimmer - I love the concept of this challenge. I had a go at a version of this challenge using a ruleset modified by @Florrie64 - also out of date now.

With so many available careers with the many expansions, it got quite confusing and I failed twice, the second attempt here

I would like to have another go but was thinking I'd hang all restrictions on just the base game careers or pick a limited set of preferred careers, the number to be determined by roughly 4×generations.

I'd be interested to see what rules etc you decide on. All the best on your attempt.

Hi! ive been using these! https://raereigames.wordpress.com/2020/08/14/apocalypse-challenge-modified-unlocks/
I have a doc of all the careers here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_iOI8RVb2JX004tUckxzRCgNVxAPHOXQfuy9ns40P0A/edit?usp=sharing
its out of date but im figuring thats mostly ok, not many new careers have been introduced and 60+ is plenty lol

Been eating grub dogs once a day for food, makes plenty and gives either a good or bad moodlet which is fun since fish is now locked. I also have 4 sims starting so I can unlock more careers at a time because I dont have time to play much. im doing both branches of the eco pack career Civil Designer, military officer, and Conservationist-Marine biologist which will unlock fish for second gen. they are turning adult and have all reached about lvl 5/6 in thier carreres so far.
Yes, I truly thought I was the first one to name a legacy family Legassi...

More Pictures - More Stories - My Website!
www.funwithmysims.info

Offline NixTipsy

• Nooboo
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2023, 09:05:01 AM »
hm. having a bit of a dilemma.
which i think might be game over but if anyone has any work around solutions I would love to hear them.

here is the scenario:

I am on the founder generation so no restrictions have yet been lifted. (also only base game and outdoor retreat expansion)
She burnt down the grill. There is no wild fruit (other than a single sage bush which is edible) in the immediate neighborhood so basically fish (meaning cooking on grill) is the only source of food.
The Teen Career - Retail Employee restriction has not been lifted (can't buy, build or replace anything except on Sundays) and it is only Tuesday now.
Mostly they could survive by just eating at work... which is fine for days when the go to work. Harder when a day off.
BUT she is pregnant. Which means come baby time she will have to quit her job to avoid having the baby taken.
While I know that Pinstar has okayed childcare for single sims, she isn't single and I personally think taking this option goes against the spirit of the challenge.
Which means that that she is now effectively doomed herself and her housemate to starve to death (probably sooner rather than later).

any solutions that would be within the technical rules of the challenge?

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2023, 02:24:41 PM »
I can't think of any neighborhood that has nothing but sage growing in it.  You can go anywhere in the neighborhood, as long as you don't click one of the other lots, without "leaving your home lot."  So, you can go all the way down the street to the lemon trees, all around the perimeter of the neighborhood where various things are growing, without ever "traveling" anywhere.  And since you don't have Seasons, you don't have to worry about things not being in season.
Now, I don't actually know the rules, but I'm assuming you aren't allowed to travel away from your home lot, at least until certain conditions have been met.  But generally, the "immediate vicinity" of your home lot is anywhere you can go, without bringing up a loading screen.  You can go anywhere within your neighborhood, as long as you don't click another lot and choose to visit it, without bringing up a loading screen.

Offline NixTipsy

• Nooboo
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2023, 03:00:46 PM »
I did eventually find two strawberry bushes which managed to keep them all alive (nooboo included) until the last minute possible.
It was tough but the only other edible stuff in the immediate neighborhood were some planted carrots and a planted lemon tree and the rules prohibit cultivated fruits/veggies.
They are all alive and well still if a little unhappy. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2023, 03:06:14 PM »
@NixTipsy
What truly horrible luck about your founder's grill becoming unusable.

Which neighborhood did you choose for your founder?
Except for some neighborhoods (Mt. Komorebi's Semba-machi, the Strangerville cliffs, etc., most neighborhoods have an in-the-world grill/picnic table area.
I completed this challenge years ago, trying Johnny Zest's lot in Oasis Springs first but ending up on Newcrest's Rippling Flats (due to playground area).

How far are you into your challenge at this point?
If I were you, I'd probably restart in a neighborhood with more edible harvestables and an in-the-world grilling area.

Also, will she go into labor during a work shift? If yes, wouldn't she need to quit her job then?
My apologies, I'm current on the latest iteration of Pinstar's Apocalypse Challenge.

Best wishes with your challenge! Sorry I couldn't actually offer any solutions or work-arounds.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2023, 03:08:48 PM »
I did eventually find two strawberry bushes which managed to keep them all alive (nooboo included) until the last minute possible.
It was tough but the only other edible stuff in the immediate neighborhood were some planted carrots and a planted lemon tree and the rules prohibit cultivated fruits/veggies.
They are all alive and well still if a little unhappy. :)

Great news!  Sounds like you are living in Bedrock Straits?
So "cultivated plants" refer to community gardens?  That seems a bit unfair, since if you're where I think you are, there are tomatoes there, too.

Offline NixTipsy

• Nooboo
« Reply #249 on: July 14, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »
@oshizu

Not in Bedrock Straits but in Oasis Springs. Only playing base game and Outdoor retreat at the mo. Trying to not make it too complicated since I haven't played this particular challenge since TS2.
I always took cultivated to mean intentionally planted as opposed to wild plants that can be foraged.
And there are some "communal" plants that are in planters that I am taking as off limits. Considering technically they are planted.
I did find 2 strawberry bushes which managed to keep them all alive until I could replace the grill but it was touch and go there for a few sim days.
Definitely making it harder on myself since the second generation has rolled the vegetarian trait.  :o

On a side note to make things extra complicated: When I first started I had the founder move in her childhood/teen best friend so that I could have two females procreating - but as it turned out she is Aro and to top it off Aro with a romance aspiration! She is not happy.

It's definitely been challenging!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2023, 05:34:36 PM »
@oshizu

Not in Bedrock Straits but in Oasis Springs. Only playing base game and Outdoor retreat at the mo. Trying to not make it too complicated since I haven't played this particular challenge since TS2.
I always took cultivated to mean intentionally planted as opposed to wild plants that can be foraged.
And there are some "communal" plants that are in planters that I am taking as off limits. Considering technically they are planted.
I did find 2 strawberry bushes which managed to keep them all alive until I could replace the grill but it was touch and go there for a few sim days.
Definitely making it harder on myself since the second generation has rolled the vegetarian trait.  :o

On a side note to make things extra complicated: When I first started I had the founder move in her childhood/teen best friend so that I could have two females procreating - but as it turned out she is Aro and to top it off Aro with a romance aspiration! She is not happy.

It's definitely been challenging!

@NixTipsy
So glad to hear your household survived the tragic loss of their grill!
Oasis Springs with fishing but not Bedrock Straits, so...Skyward Palms? My final guess at where your founder's living. :D

Haha, the Vegetarian trait's not bad. The grill offers grilled fruit/veggies as well as Veggie Burgers and Veggie Dogs.
Oh, but no more eating fish!  Life is tough for your founder's family!

My sim teens sometimes start out being romantically attracted to neither Women nor Men, but then develop a preference through courtship/gameplay.
Since your founder has a Romance aspiration (hopefully Soulmate because Serial Romantic in your current situation would be too cruel!), I hope she will gradually lean romantically toward her childhood BFF.  Fingers crossed!

Good luck with your Apocalypse challenge. Would love to see a screenshot or two of your founder and her partner!