Author Topic: Competing Collectors  (Read 10976 times)

Offline thekatie0409

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Competing Collectors
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 04:57:46 PM »
Sim A: 305
Sim B: 287

Total: 592

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
Oh, wow - great scores at the end, ladies. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »
Flora and Fawna Stone managed to amass 348 points between the both of them.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:43 AM »

Not that it matters terribly at this point, but do you have individual scores, Ginj? I will update the leaderboard, but will have to have the Sim scores blank for now.

This event is now closed. Grats to thekatie0409 on a nice win. :) Great job to all participants. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:57 AM »
The thing about collecting is that it's completely RNG based with a little bit of knowledge thrown in.   Each Sim completed 10 collections with the easiest of those being Frogs (breeding), Postcards (Eventually you get them all), and Elements (just send away all your metals and crystals).

Each Sim started the game with an empty lot. Sim B was in Willow Creek on the lot across from the BFFs. Sim A was given the empty lot across from Johnny Zest in Oasis Park (Strategy being tomato!) My first purchases were a tent, a cooler & an outdoor portable shower.  Sim A is actually the second one I played but the first one to finish because of a weird glitch I waited to see what the team would say.   Sim B and I started the challenge with buying him a rocket ship and immediately finding the first two people to start jogging by to come help build it.  (Thank you Paolo and Nancy!) Once that was done, I grabbed a computer and a desk to ask for postcards and started to run around.  From dynasties/legacies and my own need to complete all the collections while doing them, I pretty much knew where every plant/fish would come from and how to get it.   While the Von Haunt Estate is great for the plants, it doesn't really offer any other collecting opportunities so I skipped it for other places I knew had stuff like the parks, glade.  Eventually actually dragging Sim A with me to boost her skill. 

After that it was rotating once a week until the final week to get stuff done. Sim B maxed rocket science so that I could get the wormhole done on the rocket for Sixam.  Both Sims joined the scientist career.  Sim A for 3 days and Sim B for 2 to get as many crystals and metals as possible (for some reason co-workers NEVER had any to share).   Once the plants had grown harvestable for Sim B, Sim A was able to follow along behind him and grab them.  You can't remove wild plants in Granite Falls so I knew where to find the herbs.   I managed to complete the insects collection in like 30 hrs on Sim A which was luck and I knew that from my dynasty, so when I took Sim B I only gave him the same amount of time to finish and then just left because walking sticks and fire ants weren't that important. 

At first I did everything on 2 lots except for the rocket they shared.  Mostly because if you weren't on your lot to do the postcards, they got lost apparently.  Plus that helped me keep up with the different frog collections because I lay them down in a 5 by 5 pattern to see which ones are missing so I can choose the right frogs to breed every 4 hours or when I remembered. After that, all the time was spent on Sim B's lot  who also had a microscope, telescope and analyzer.

Sixam - That seemed to be the only place I could get the rare MySims.  I figured out after the second trip that once you got one, then it was best to just go home and come back another day because none of the ones after that would be a rare and by then I had all the geodes, plants, both alien crystals & metals.  So I went until I got a capsule (usually really quickly) opened it to almost always a rare MySim in my case (I was lucky), then went home.  Came back with the other other Sim.  This helped complete my alien collections in combination with space missions.

Sim : Collection (# Found)  *for complete

Sim A : Frogs 25* / Gardening 46* / My Sims 17 / Metals 22* / Crystals 22* / Elements 16* / Postcards 14* / Fossils 6 / Microscope 9 / Space Prints 9 / Aliens 10* / Space Rocks 4* / Fish 15 / Insects 21* / Geodes 6*

Sim B : Frogs 25* / Gardening 46* / My Sims 20* / Metals 22* / Crystals 22* / Elements 16* / Postcards 14* / Fossils 11 / Microscope 3 / Space Prints 3 / Aliens 10* / Space Rocks 4* / Fish 26 / Insects 17 / Geodes 6*
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:10 AM »

Not that it matters terribly at this point, but do you have individual scores, Ginj? I will update the leaderboard, but will have to have the Sim scores blank for now.

This event is now closed. Grats to thekatie0409 on a nice win. :) Great job to all participants. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Metro, Sim A, (Flora) had 173 and Sim B (Fawna) had 175.

Offline thekatie0409

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
The first thing I did was decide what collections I wanted to do. Decided not to try to complete gardening, fossils, and insects for Sim A and all of those plus space rocks for sim B. For me, gardening is too much work, fossils don’t spawn in the right places, I don’t know where to find all the insects, and Sim B won’t be going on any space missions.

My sims followed the same weekly schedule and I switched sims every Sunday morning.

Week 1: This week is mostly about dig sites. Both sims joined the science career, and went in for a few hours for the collectibles to spawn. Then they would collect them every 2-3 days. This would net about 50 collectibles at a time. For Sim A, the rest of the time was spent at the neighborhood spawners. While waiting for the parks dig sites to spawn, I went to the frog ponds and got about a dozen frogs to start breeding them. After the first few days Sim A's time was spent building the rocket ship and going on the space missions to max rocket science for the wormhole and to collect aliens and space rocks. This sim was unlucky with the missions and so didn’t finish the space rock collection. So by the end of week 1 we had Sixam available which gives 20-30 good collectibles at a time and gives you access to the geode collection. Between Sixam and science career, you can finish all the dig collectibles in week 2.
Since Sim A had made the rocket ship, Sim B was able to go to Sixam every day of week 1 and science career every few days to make good progress on her dig collections. The second half of the week she hired a repairman to come mentor handiness to level 8, then upgraded the observatory and microscope. So by the end of week 1 these are fully upgraded and you have a level 10 handiness sim to break into grotto for fishing.

Week 2: This week was mainly spent on space prints, microscope prints, and postcards. Each sim went to Sixam once a day until they finished trophy and alien collections and went to science career once or twice until they had finished metals and crystals. The rest of the time, the searched for prints. With upgraded machines, the prints come very quickly, and postcards are easy. These collections were easily finished in a few days. However, I messed up Sim B’s postcard collection so they got a 0 on it. Sim B had extra time this week and started their fishing collection.

Week 3: This week was dedicated to fishing. The first half of the week is at the home worlds until the fishing collection was complete. Luckily sim B had a head start on this because it took her 4 days to find the last fish-the shark. After finishing fish collections both sims had 2 days left  so I headed to Granite Falls and searched for insects while the sim fished for the Outdoor Retreat Fish. I also got the Outdoor Retreat plants while I was walking around.
For fossils and other plants, I dug and harvested them if I walked by but didn’t go out of my way for them. Also, I ordered the seeds from the planter boxes to get some more easy plants.

So Sim A finished all collections but Gardening [31], Fossils [12], Space Rocks [3] and Insects [12]. Sim B finished all but Gardening [36], Postcards [none], Fossils [8], Space Rocks [none], and Insects [14].

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Makenziegma

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2016, 12:12:25 AM »
Tried to go in to the game long enough to get a score and the computer wouldn't stay in the game long enough. Took the computer to the store and will need to be sent back to the manufacturer. You know you are addicted to the Sims when the biggest concern isn't the cost of the repairs but worrying about losing your dynasty family if they cannot keep the hard drive. :-(

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
@Ricalynn and @thekatie0409

Thank you both for sharing your winning strategies.

For my lots, I chose the empty lot across from Johnny Zest plus another right next to it. I wanted to see if plants growing in one lot would continue to grow if my sims remained active in the same neighborhood but on a different lot. The answer: they don't. (I'd thought to test this during a practice run, but then forgot.)
So because Sim A had both the garden & rocketship on the larger of the two lots, both sims spent most of their time there until the gardening was done.

Ever since that Easter challenge, my game files spawn wild growfruit excessively. Although Von Haunt Estate offers only that garden, I still appreciate always being able to take cuttings of both cherry and pear trees in one location.

I have great admiration for anyone who can complete the insect collection. I have never managed without first losing patience; I probably never will.
Can't even imagine completing the entire collection in 30 sim-hours.

Great idea about getting the repairman to mentor handiness. With so many extra fish in the collection, I just decided in the beginning to do without batfish.

Since last year's collecting obsession challenge, I had never succeeded in finding 3 of the four rare MySims, so I'm glad to know that it's possible.
And great idea to immediately return home if an opened capsule revealed a rare MySim.

Thank you Challenges Team for an engaging challenge! I don't usually play rotationally so it was always fun to return to the other sim and check who his new friends and enemies were!

anything