Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 6178 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Civilization VI
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
I'm posting this mainly to open the thread for discussion. So far, I've managed to achieve the Cultural Victory and Science Victory, playing at the Prince level, so if someone wants to know how to get a Domination victory on the Deity level, they'll have to get answers from someone else.

If you're wondering whether to get Civ VI after playing Civ V, I can say that there have been quite a few players unhappy with the changes but also quite a few players who like the new version better. If you're a peaceable player, as I was in Civ V, you'll find that your playstyle has to change somewhat. Barbarians will attack even at the Settler level. I never used to declare war on another Civ, but my attitude now is that if the computer sends a settler close to my border, I'll grab it.

Anyway, if you have questions or just want to share how you deal with those pesky missionaries, here is the place to do it.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
my computer doesn't like Civilization VI for some reason, so I can't play it.

I also got the super duper 25th anniversary limited edition version of it. You know, the one with the coins that showed a leader from a different one of the games?

Only mine didn't. I got 2 of one game, and none of another one, and 1 of the rest.

I wish I could play it, as I was looking forward to it, but my computer doesn't like it, which makes it difficult. :(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
my computer doesn't like Civilization VI for some reason, so I can't play it.

I also got the super duper 25th anniversary limited edition version of it. You know, the one with the coins that showed a leader from a different one of the games?

Only mine didn't. I got 2 of one game, and none of another one, and 1 of the rest.

I wish I could play it, as I was looking forward to it, but my computer doesn't like it, which makes it difficult. :(

So sorry to hear that, Deklitch!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
On a whim I decided to uninstall Steam and reinstall it. That was what the issue was, I suspect the steam version on the Civ VI disk was no longer up to date and they didn't have automatic updates/I didn't install them. So I installed again and voila it is now running for me.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:15:51 AM »
Have the patches improved the game much? I know firaxis usually does them in the fall, but it's a new game. I have not even taken a full turm, I suppose due to lack of time and the thousands of hours I wrote on and played V. I may wait for the first Expansion at this point. Feel silly for buying it at launch for full price but eh, good company so why not support them.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:54:02 AM »
I am loving the Australian Civilization is finally an 'official' playable faction in Civilization VI. No longer do I need to send my non-Australian civilization to the Australian mainland, found cities there and attack city states/civilizations who had previously lived there. Nor do I have to rename my leader and civilization to Bobby Hawk and Aussie respectively. :)

John Curtin makes an interesting choice as leader and I'm finding their unique military unit (digger - industrial era unit - replaces infantry) and unique improvement (outback station - allows them to get some food from desert tiles) to be useful, as is their leader's benefit (cities on the coast receive benefits).

Their starting location means that if you want to make contact with other civilizations early on, you'll need to build galleys and send them out early on. Asia/Africa/Europe are quite easy to get to, if the trip takes a long time to get there. Reaching the Americas, however, seems to require one to wait for their ships to be able to enter deep waters. Also, to get to New Zealand, I found it necessary to go through the South East Asian/South Pacific island nations.

Outback Station comes during the medieval age, and digger comes during the industrial age. So, you need to be patient to get the unique items for the Australian Civilization, but I don't mind the wait.

Yes, I rather enjoy the Australian faction in Civilization VI, but that could well be to do with the fact that I'm Australian. I am currently at 1040 AD in game (as the game tells the time) and the only foreign unit to come to the Australian mainland was a Japanese missionary who spread Buddhism to one of my cities.

There were a few barbarian outposts and friendly villages at the start of the game, but I haven't had any barbarians around for a long time now.

Offline MuntyJay

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »
I was playing Civ V and this Civilization VI has too high criterias for my computers. :( + I don't have time anymore for such long games.  I can only afford to play something small like Stunt Run on http://www.friv4online.com/ or Nuclear Enduro. All 'cause of my work.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
For people who have been waiting for a sale, Civ VI is 67% off until October 1, 2018. You can get it for $19.80. They're also selling the DLC bundle for about $20, and the expansion Rise and Fall for about $20.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Oh, wow. Thank you, Marian. Steam sometimes has amazing deals.

Offline DrWho42

• Llama Wrangler
    • Linktree
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
while i love civ vi, i haven't played any of the expansion packs. usually i play as otto von bismark.

Offline jfdupont

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
I played a little bit but the best is civ ii

Offline DrWho42

• Llama Wrangler
    • Linktree
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
I played a little bit but the best is civ ii
i love civ ii too. the switch from civ i's top-down graphics to isometric was a game-changer.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »
I just found out that Civ VI is adding more -- 6 more DLC over the next 9 months, starting with the Mayans and Gran Columbia on May 21. The paid-for DLC will drop in May, July, September, November, and next January, with some free updates each time. I don't know what the cost is, and expect you'll be able to get them individually if you want, although there's a bonus for buying the whole package at once.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
Wow, this is exciting.  I haven't played recently, but I love Civ6
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
I've gone back for a few days while I'm waiting for Eco Lifestyle.