Author Topic: Vampires - First Impressions  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Vampires - First Impressions
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »
Share your first impressions of the new pack here. Got this thread started a little early but know some people are excited, so may as well have it ready!

Most of my own thoughts on it are on the Vampires Game Pack page. I will say that my time with it this past week has been pleasant, I very much love the leveling system for vampires and the accumulation of power that comes with it. There's enough here to justify the price tag if you like the idea of playing as one. Otherwise you would get gothic decor and a vampire lore skill that isn't very useful without vampires around. If you don't wanna play a vampire, grab it on sale :)

I think most people would come to this conclusion on their own, given the title of the pack. Note that Forgotten Hollow is a single neighborhood (not a full world) as I had originally erroneously reported a few days back. Just poor terminology on my part. Vampires aren't so abundant as to be annoying but are definitely present in the game world, particularly at night. You could learn vampire lore and go about curing them if you chose.

EA did give me a copy, but none of that sways my opinion in any way. I feel it's about par for the course as far as quality goes. I've said before these are more worthy of the price tag than Sims 3 store worlds and things like that and stand by that opinion. It is all a matter of taste and if you like the core idea of the content, it's well executed in that regard. It has been improved a bit lately due to them putting extra time into game packs and I'm happy to support them especially with the recent release of toddlers.

Offline Junan

• Townie
Re: Vampires - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »
Three new lot traits - Registered Vampire Lair (regular incoming mail), Vampire Nexus (vampire visits more likely) and On a Dark Ley Line (probably vampire equivalent of twins lot trait).

Also a word of caution for those playing with vampires; the western lot in Forgotten Hollow (Garliclauter Place) has A LOT of decorations that put out the smell of garlic, which I believe is a self-defense mechanism against vampire visits. This seems weird considering said lot has the Vampire Nexus lot trait.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
In the livestream they explained the backstory for that lot and I thought it was very clever.
Supposedly a couple from the big city bought the house, thinking they were just buying a cute house in a quaint little town. Then, vampires started showing up at their door all the time, so they put up all the garlic to try and protect themselves, but since the lot is a vampire nexus it didn't work, so they eventually fled and now the house is abandoned and selling cheap!

Anyway, I thought it was a fun story. Really enjoying the pack so far. Can't wait to delve deeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
Loving it! Initial response is that toddlers + vampires=gaming bliss. I've only played long enough for my sim to be transformed and to compel his spouse so he could Drink Deeply (no asking politely nonsense in my game!) so I have a lot more exploring to do.

So far it seems that these, like the toddlers, for me are the best vampires we've had so far in The Sims. The customization in CAS is really good and having a Dark Form is a really great addition. I love the fact that you can have outfits in all the categories in the Dark Form, I didn't expect that to be honest.

My disappointment so far is the size of Forgotten Hollow but I already knew that before delving into the pack and that hasn't changed. Although the neighborhood is quite perfect for vampire, one neighborhood with 5 lots is just not enough.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
I haven't played for long but I am a little disappointed in the number of townie vampires. I honestly expected more that three.  The cas options are great and I like the new buy mode items. The vampire powers seems easy enough to understand and I am sure the challenge team will come up with some ideas for the future.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
@Playalot Like you, I was a little disappointed with the size of the neighborhood. But I digress. At this moment, I'm updating and repairing my game to see if it fixes some missing Sim names, conversation topics, and item names. My Sim's welcome wagon consisted of that young male vampire with the feathery earrings. Every conversation topic landed two pluses for some reason, so they are good friends already. I haven't created a vampire yet, but plan to have my Sim turned into one. Don't want everything unveiled too fast ;)
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Junan

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Delving into this, I find that Mist > Bat in every manner; I see the bat as the game's ninja teleport from sims 2 and the mist as sim 2 witch's magivestigum teleport. This is because the mist ignores obstacles such as locked doors and walls while the bat does not.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ynde

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
Does anyone know what the Vampiric Entrance (or something like that) power is supposed to do? I thought it would let me just walk into sims houses without being invited, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Offline Junan

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Does anyone know what the Vampiric Entrance (or something like that) power is supposed to do? I thought it would let me just walk into sims houses without being invited, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

When you use that ability (by clicking on the door), it'll unlock the door for you. This should enable you to see inside but in the event it doesn't, press the End key once.

P.S. Influence emotions at max is pretty powerful: +8 to the emotion specified for 4 hours in a small radius around the vampire. Good vampires can use the positive emotions to aid other sims in their goals more easily such as skill building or finding love; careful not to use playfulness when a Sim's happy is close to 7 or higher.

Offline Lal-Soukyan

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
Vampires, to me, feels more like an expansion than just a Game Pack. I feel like it is easily worth the money, even paying full price since I couldn't wait! I am not at all happy with myself for staying up so late on a work night, but vampires are so much fun!

I agree that I wish there were more vampires in the other areas of the game. I did have fun filling the city with vamp families though!

I really really really want more vampire inspired toddler and child clothing choices.That being said, the only thing that was actually disappointing to me was that there wasn't any new choices for tattoos. I was hoping for some gothic inspired ink :)

If they do faires and witches with the same thoughtfulness, I will lose my job cause I will be playing Sims 4 constantly. I am always going to wish for a Magic version of Sims 3 University. *cough* Hogwarts *cough*

Offline Junan

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
On a Dark Ley Line (probably vampire equivalent of twins lot trait).

I appear to be incorrect on this assumption; anyone who's ever played Sims 3 will, at some point, have known about the Magic in the Air moodlet, which can result in the child of a couple being a different life state than expected. This is the case with this lot trait, but for vampires only. It does give a +3 Energized "Hoping for Fangs" moodlet after trying for a baby.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
I've discovered i better garlic up my dynasty houses as the Count just gatecrashed in the early hours and drank from one of my sims....How Rude!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
@cyclonenic  you'll be pleased to know that the game code is such that the chances of this happening get reduced greatly after the first visit. I'd still put some garlic in everyone's inventory though, just to be sure, if you don't want them being drunk from.  :)

Offline Junan

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
I've discovered i better garlic up my dynasty houses as the Count just gatecrashed in the early hours and drank from one of my sims....How Rude!

@cyclonenic  you'll be pleased to know that the game code is such that the chances of this happening get reduced greatly after the first visit. I'd still put some garlic in everyone's inventory though, just to be sure, if you don't want them being drunk from.  :)

How did this happen? He does not have the Eternally Welcome perk...

I also have a particularly odd question: When my vampire drinks, he randomly gets a notification wall message along with the Divine Drink moodlet; so far, he has triggered this on Alice Spencer-Kim, Jade Rosa, Johnny Zest and Zoe Patel. What do these four have in common?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:22 AM »
I can't figure out what triggers the Divine Drink Moodlet either. All the sims my vamp think are particularly delicious don't seem to have anything in common with each other or with him. @Carl  any idea what triggers this?

anything