Author Topic: Pets - Cats and Dogs Expansion News  (Read 21416 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Pets - Cats and Dogs Expansion News
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
EA confirmed the next expansion coming out in November 10th World Wide is The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs.

Origins official game description:

Create a variety of cats and dogs, add them to your Sims’ homes to forever change their lives and care for neighborhood pets as a veterinarian with The Sims™ 4 Cats & Dogs. The powerful new Create A Pet tool lets you personalize cats and dogs, each with their own unique appearances, distinct behaviors, and for the first time, expressive outfits! These wonderful, lifelong companions will change your Sims’ lives in new and special ways. Treat animal ailments as a veterinarian and run your own clinic in a beautiful coastal world where there’s so much for your Sims and their pets to discover.

KEY FEATURES

Create cats and dogs. Use the powerful Create A Pet tool to customize your Sims’ perfect cats, dogs, puppies and kittens. Choose from a variety of breeds, give them distinct personalities and directly manipulate their features. Easily personalize their coats with unique patterns to create your real-life pets, dream pets or something more fanciful. For the first time, complete their looks with expressive outfits and accessories.

Bond with your pets. Experience the companionship and fun that furry friends bring to your Sims’ lives. Cats and dogs have minds of their own and form special relationships with Sims based on their daily interactions. Your Sims care for, train and play games with their pets who all exhibit distinct and sometimes bizarre animal behaviors.

Become a vet and run a clinic. Build a veterinary clinic, hire a dedicated staff and further your career as the town’s most promising animal doctor. You’re in control of daily operations from the services offered to what you charge. Your Sims can diagnose and cure pets with critical surgeries or treat fleas and other afflictions with simple medications.

Explore Brindleton Bay. Discover the coastal shores of Brindleton Bay, a new world where your Sims and their pets can live and enjoy outdoor activities. Play fetch near the harbor docks, take a walk to the lighthouse or visit a park to set up an obstacle course and meet other pet-loving locals. Be on the lookout for stray pets that your Sims can take in as their own.

The Official Trailer on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFWb3lgRpcE

The Sims™ 4 Cats & Dogs
https://www.thesims.com/store/mac-pc-download-addon-the-sims-4-cats-and-dogs

The Sims Blog
https://www.thesims.com/news
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Re: Pets - Cats and Dogs Expansion News
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:05:24 AM »
AWE-some! Now that's a great reason for me to start playing again. I'm glad it only features dogs and cats, at least to begin with. I mean, what kind of town has wild horses roaming its streets and strolling through the park? ::) Don is just so getting a pooch in my game. To play ball with! It'll be the love of his life 8) ...Quit thinking dirty, ya'll. Caleb will have himself a kitty - he needs someone to have quiet and deep conversations with. ;D
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
So cool! Waited so long for this! I must admit this year I haven't been playing much sims 4 anymore, been an active player since launch. But it just got a bit boring lately, even with the challenges (which is in no way your guys fault! you are the reason I've played for so long!) But when this comes out I will be on it again.

Especially because you can run a vet clinic! OMG that will be so awesome :)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
Always my least favorite expansion. Not looking forward to it. Will likely still buy it for completeness but in my opinion sim pets are so boring and limited. Well except dragons especially in Sims Making Magic as they tended to burn thing down. Dragons are always fun. Too bad there will be no pet dragons.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »
Will there be a game option (or maybe a mod) to toggle off the pets we may not want?  I'd love to have cats in my game, but not dogs.

I'm terrified of dogs (I have been since I was little.  My in-laws got one while my husband and I had to live there for financial reasons, and so we had to move out.  At least, we had a place to live because we're living with my parents for now --- until we can afford to move out.  That was great of my parents to offer when that happened to us.

Thanks everyone,

Coolsim

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
Will there be a game option (or maybe a mod) to toggle off the pets we may not want?  I'd love to have cats in my game, but not dogs.

I'm terrified of dogs (I have been since I was little.  My in-laws got one while my husband and I had to live there for financial reasons, and so we had to move out.  At least, we had a place to live because we're living with my parents for now --- until we can afford to move out.  That was great of my parents to offer when that happened to us.

Thanks everyone,

Coolsim

I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to toggle off dogs. Modders might make a way to keep strays out. The only thing I can suggest is that you put plenty of cats in your game. There will probably be a certain number of animals that the game allows for (like the 20 Sims max on a community lot), so just getting rid of dogs won't work, although you'll have to do that, too. But if you have lots of cats in your game, you might not get too many dogs.

Sorry to hear that you find them so frightening. I do sympathize -- I don't like cockroaches myself and was never a fan of the ones you could get in TS2 (although I loved the exterminator's truck).
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »
Thank you very much for your help, Marian :)!  I will think about filling my game with cats.  I guess I could get rid of dogs in my game by deleting them, the way I do with Sims I don't want.  I really have to think about it though because I really am terrified of dogs. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
@coolsim9999999 I'm just curious and feel compelled to ask. Why are you letting your fears control you so much? It's just a game, nothing is going to come through the screen and attack you :)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
@coolsim9999999 I'm just curious and feel compelled to ask. Why are you letting your fears control you so much? It's just a game, nothing is going to come through the screen and attack you :)
Thanks a lot for trying to help Nindigo.  I know that it's a game, but I'm way too terrified of dogs to stop being afraid of them.  Thanks anyway :)!

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »
*sigh*  I was interested right up until it was stated that the pets aren't controllable, not even with a cheat like in Sims2.  Maybe if the modding community finds a way to make them semi-controllable I'll consider buying, but as it stand, it's a deal breaker.
We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:06 PM »
*sigh*  I was interested right up until it was stated that the pets aren't controllable, not even with a cheat like in Sims2.  Maybe if the modding community finds a way to make them semi-controllable I'll consider buying, but as it stand, it's a deal breaker.
Does that mean they aren't eating up a caricature slot? If so it perks my interest somewhat. Most controllable pets where boring to play as they were so limited in game play (few skills, no jobs and the like) and felt like a waste. But is they are not taking up space in the household maybe they will just be a nice add. My sims are always looking for something new to do. I loved Sims 3 dragons as they didn't take up space and added to the things sims could do.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:24:24 AM »
Hmm, I never take control of pets in TS3. I like for them to have their own free will - my Sims people, too, for that matter. It provides the illusion of them having a real personality. A big part of my fun comes from just observing them like one would fish in a tank :)

Update: I've just pre-purchased this expansion 8)

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:43 AM »
How much interaction is required? I mean, it's a nice feature, but I would hope for some autonomy. There is already so much that you have to do each day, especially, if you want your character to progress. I would be very disappointed, if pets required nearly all of your attention during the day, to prevent them from running away, being taken away, or dying. Gardening is a great example of how a nice feature can take over the game & become unpleasant. The higher level you get, and the more plants you have, the more it becomes an extreme time monopolizing chore — especially when you have bugs & weeds to take care of. I think it would be a shame, if enjoying pets would require you to make them your career. What would really be nice, is if they gave you far more usable minutes in your day. It shouldn't take a half hour to eat a sandwich.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
Some things that have been confirmed:

Pets won't be controllable.
They will take up a slot in the household.
The color wheel will only be in the Pets CAS.
You will be able to take your pets to the vet.
Your Sim can be a vet.
Your Sim can also own and run the vet clinic.

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
Didn't see it in the info, but are we going to be able to breed pets like in TS3? Be kind of dumb if you couldn't but you never know. :)
Figure that with pets coming, we'll hopefully get seasons sooner than later. (Always liked the sim kids playing in the snow)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
@CuriousSim I agree with you completely :-\

I think we need to see The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs in a new light. If we keep expecting things to be like they were in TS3, we are bound to get disappointed or frustrated. They are two very different games despite their similar names. And they work very differently. I look forward to see what Maxis has been able to accomplish and make work with this expansion.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
Didn't see it in the info, but are we going to be able to breed pets like in TS3? Be kind of dumb if you couldn't but you never know. :)
Figure that with pets coming, we'll hopefully get seasons sooner than later. (Always liked the sim kids playing in the snow)

Yes, pets will be able to breed. Don't know much about the details, though.

This stuff has been confirmed by the Gurus on Twitter:

Octagonal roofs will be available.
Your Sim can also own a fox (dog) or raccoon (cat). They'll differ in some ways from dogs and cats.
You can take your pets to Granite Falls with you.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
Some things that have been confirmed:

Pets won't be controllable.
They will take up a slot in the household.
The color wheel will only be in the Pets CAS.
You will be able to take your pets to the vet.
Your Sim can be a vet.
Your Sim can also own and run the vet clinic.
OK now I am back to not really wanting this pack. Pets always have limited pay options and taking up a slot for such a limited "sim" isn't my idea of fun. I am a min-maxer after all whats to "max" about these things. Now to find out they both take up a slot and you can't control them, well, no thanks. I will still buy it for completeness sake and likely even play through a pet or too just to "complete" the game, but really this is disappointing news. Worse of all worlds.  I am somewhat interested in the vet career/business. New live careers are always welcome. At least there is that.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
Some more general info to add to MarianT's:

Foxes and raccoons can be made in CAP (Create a Pet) and can also be taken to a vet just like cats and dogs

There are various breeds coming with the pack but the team will go into more detail in the future (unspecified timeline) Scottish Fold has been confirmed but nothing else yet! lol

There is the same pull/push manipulation in CAP and there already is in CAS

No new Supernaturals in the pack - this isn't a big surprise though as we know this time around including supernaturals in packs isn't really going to happen.

And the PC minimum specs:

MINIMUM OS: 64 Bit Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
DISC DRIVE: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
I heard that your pets can have fleas! Maybe these fleas can be transferred to humans as they can in real life and I can have the flea bitten bum Sim I always wanted! OK it is a long shot, but I am hoping. But cool, they are giving us fleas.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
I laughed really hard at your long-cherished desire of playing a flea-bitten sim!

I'm pretty excited about my sims owning pets. I'm not fussed that they aren't controllable--real life pets aren't that controllable either, even a really trained one has needs and wants of their own.
What's funny is that, since this morning, I can already hear background barking while I'm simming. Lol!

I'm still holding out for supernaturals!!! Can't wait for that Expansion Pack!

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
Quote from: oshizu

They could, discreetly, stick in some werewolves without me complaining. Canines are canines, right?

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Quote from: oshizu

They could, discreetly, stick in some werewolves without me complaining. Canines are canines, right?
Now that would get me excited about this expansion. But sadly it has been confirmed there isn't any supernatural life states in this pack. There is still hope for flea-butten Sims though. They can at least give me that, can't they.

Offline Dreamweaver

• Occult
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
Not looking forward to this expansion. Pets always lags my game plus I have the feeling that they are going to nickel and dime us for the rest of the pets. Horses Game Pack , Small Pets Stuff pack, you get the idea. I do love cats but will hold out for a sale on this expansion.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
Quote from: scoed
I will still buy it for completeness sake

Yeah, that's my primary excuse as well. OCD thing, I guess...

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 02:57:57 AM »
Oh don't talk about werewolves! That is just too mean! *sigh*

Anyhoo... pets can also be neutered and umm... un-neutered should you change your mind!  ???

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 03:41:24 AM »
With all of the litter taking up individual household slots?

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 05:19:25 AM »

*Cackle* Now that's a really good question!

And un-neutered? I'm just gonna zip it :-X ;D

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »
I'm always excited about sim pets, but once I get them I rarely play with them. I think I will buy the pack regardless and make my simself the crazy cat lady I have aspirations to become in real life.

Who knows, maybe this will be the iteration of pets that I actually enjoy playing?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
I'm always excited about sim pets, but once I get them I rarely play with them. I think I will buy the pack regardless and make my simself the crazy cat lady I have aspirations to become in real life.

Who knows, maybe this will be the iteration of pets that I actually enjoy playing?

I'm already the crazy cat lady with 4 in the house. And I, too, tend to get excited about each new set of pets and then find them too much trouble to take care of. I really like the look of Brindleton Bay, though, so that will be something I will definitely use.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »

I'm already the crazy cat lady with 4 in the house. And I, too, tend to get excited about each new set of pets and then find them too much trouble to take care of. I really like the look of Brindleton Bay, though, so that will be something I will definitely use.

I wish I could have pets, but as a live-in nanny it's just not possible. But once I make a career change and have my own place they won't be able to stop me!

I like the look of the new town as well, and I am excited about new townies for my ten-gen family to marry :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »

I'm the same, after a few sim days I was always a bit over caring for their needs so maybe this time around it will suit me better.

I guess the litter will only be as big as you have room for, same mechanics as when your sim has a nooboo. So a household of 6 sims/pets in total will only have a litter of 2 etc.

Offline anomites

• Nooboo
    • @anomitesplayssims
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
I can't wait to get DC! Pets on sims 2 was the reason why I started playing sims and I just love how my sims can share their lives with furry friends.
Check out my Sims 4 look-a-like celebrities from my Instagram @anomitesplayssims

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
Source:  The Sims.com

Controlling Your Cats & Dogs

BY GRANT RODIEK

Hi Simmers! We were thrilled to finally announce The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs*. It’s a huge relief to finally get it out in the open. One of the first questions the community asked after our big reveal: Can I control my cats and dogs?

This is appropriate, because it was one of the first questions we asked ourselves long before we started working on the game itself. It’s one of the most important design questions for the entire pack, so we want to dive a little deeper into what it means. Early on our team was almost evenly split and gearing for a creative fight. Folks (me included!) had (and have) VERY strong opinions on this topic. We knew it was incredibly important. In The Sims 2, you couldn’t directly control pets. In The Sims 3, you could. We went back and played the old games, read the forums, and conducted survey research on this topic specifically to fully consider every angle.

We went back and forth, and finally our creative director made a very important point. The question isn’t control or not control? It's what can we do with either solution, and why is one solution superior? What do we gain? What do we lose?

Before we continue this, let’s take a step back and examine other aspects. I’m a dog owner and have been almost my entire life. My corgi, Peaches, is often the focus for my weekends. My wife and I take her to the beach, throw her in the car to shop, and we read in the backyard so she can enjoy the sun. We dote on her.

I’m not alone in being obsessed with my dog or cat on the team. When discussing this pack, we tried to really dive deep into the essence of our pets and why we love them. Why they make us laugh. Why they make us angry. Why we photograph them constantly. We found out that we were all drawn to what made our pets special. How they sleep on their backs. How they always bark at a certain person. How they listen for the crinkle of a plastic bag as they know it’s a walk.

We knew our cats and dogs in The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs needed to be responsive, observant, and obsessed with the Sims. Their owners. Their companions. We also knew we wanted them to be surprising, to act in unexpected and delightful ways, and to be living creatures. We were guided by the idea that cats and dogs would be like Sims for your Sims.

This brings us back to control. There are many factors at play here, some technical, some design, but in a nutshell, if players could see and control every aspect of their cat or dog, it made it difficult for us to make them do surprising, fun, and unexpected things. When we compared all the options, we knew that our game would be the most fun if we didn’t let players select cats and dogs, but instead gave you other ways to interact with them. When we made this decision, it fundamentally opened up things we could do with cats and dogs that we can’t do with Sims even!

This doesn’t mean they’re wild and without control. Far from it. I’m going to give some examples, but before that, let me ask: How do you control your dog or cat in real life? How do you get them by your side when you want to pet them, or get them to sit when they’re misbehaving? The answer in your mind, it’s how it works in the game too. When your Pets need your attention to solve their needs, they’ll animate, act in certain behaviours, communicate with your Sims, and yes, the UI will tell you what they need. You can even ask them!

When they act badly, you can train them to stop. When you want them by your side, you can call them immediately over to you. But, like all good dogs and cats, there is a good chance they’ll be at your feet, walking along side you, or snoring on the couch next to your Sims already. If you want your dog to breed with another dog, you can instruct them to do so. When you need your cat to sleep in a certain bed, you can call them to do so.

In a nutshell, you won’t be frustrated by a lack of control. We’ve taken great pains to design, implement, and test an assortment of solutions and content to make sure that isn’t the case. But, we’ve also filled the game with unique behaviors and attributes for your cats and dogs so that you’ll be observing and telling stories for years.

We think The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs is the best pets expansion we’ve ever made, and a big reason for that is the freedom we were granted by removing control. Some of you may not agree, but don’t worry, The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs will be out soon and we’ll be talking more about it in the coming months. Soon you’ll agree that this is the most pawesome decision!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »
Quote from: scoed
I will still buy it for completeness sake

Yeah, that's my primary excuse as well. OCD thing, I guess...

Nindigo, you surprise me! Aren't you watering at the mouth for a chance to recreate your Okami chibi? No?

Having a new town will be nice, too! Oh, that means new premade households!

On topic, thank you Bri for adding this discussion about the new expansion. I really enjoyed reading about the Dev Team's decision-making process over whether or not pets should be controllable or not.
I laughed at the team's idea that the pets would be like sims for our sims. I just hope they don't constantly wash their hands, uh, paws...

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
Well, if they're taking up a slot, yeah, I don't think so. We'll see about the townies and town they introduce, that might be enough to get me to by it provided I can turn the pets on and off. I'm not really a min-max kind of person but if, say, my Immortal Dynasty can't have a pet because it's taking up a slot, it's really not a valuable addition (tho vet might be cool, is it going to run like a store or an actual career?)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:26 AM »
@dontmindme  the vet is another new active career that plays like the Get To Work careers only the actual lot functions like the restaurant lots do in Dine Out so your active family can actually own it. We don't have much more detail at this stage but we do know that when your pet gets sick you can actually take it to a vet (unlike sims who can not go to a hospital but have to buy medicine from the computer).

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
Looks like ghost pets are also a thing.  From one of the SimGuru's twitter posts:
https://twitter.com/SimGuruRomeo/status/916368607067521024

Offline PJHP1243

• Stands for Percy Jackson-Harry Potter (yes, I know I am a total book nut)
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
I know that for a lot of people, they won’t buy this pack because of not being able to control their pets. However, I am excited for this pack because the pets can’t be controlled. In sims 3, you had to constantly take care of your pets, talking to them every five seconds, making sure they eat, etc. because the pets didn’t have very good free will. My pets were always in the red zone and had bad moodlets for weird reasons. My cats and dogs were always feeling destructive or whatever that moodlet was, and I couldn’t get them in a good mood. Eventually I stopped playing with pets altogether, they were such a pain.
I know some people might not feel this way about the old types of pets, but we need to realize that we can’t control our pets in real life, and these new pets will probably be a lot more fun to play with because they don’t require as much attention. I’m thinking of buying this pack when it comes out; hopefully I won’t regret it.
And that concludes my very long rant.   ;D
stories coming soon... my sims 3 is working again!
I am a pro lurker. If you are reading this right now, I have most likely read your story. Maybe I'll comment. No promises...

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
Aaaah I can't wait for this to come out!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
For anyone who missed the Live Stream on Cats and Dogs: Creat A Pet:

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/181697912

Replay has very long intro of a countdown so scroll to around 14mins for the start.  :)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
I'll be giving Caleb cat ears. Period.

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »
Source:  https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/news/open-a-vet-clinic

Open Your Very Own Vet Clinic!
By Grant Rodiek

Hello Simmers! Roll up your sleeves and get ready to work, because The Sims™ 4 Cats & Dogs* has arguably our best business venue yet. In this latest expansion, your Sims can open a Vet clinic and begin working as the local town Vet. In doing so, they can design the clinic however they wish in Build mode to match their personal style and hire a staff.

Naturally, give employees raises, fire and discipline them, or even force them to wear ridiculous outfits. Or, normal ones, but where’s the fun in that? Those with Outdoor Retreat can have their Veterinarians wear the bear suit!

Much of the action revolves around your Sim improving their Vet Skills, which is key because your Sims themselves are the vets. If you want, train the entire family as your staff to maximize the number of clients you can serve and save on wages! The first stop is the exam table. Here, your Sim will need to carefully balance the patient’s stress levels while performing tests to diagnose the issue. There are a variety of new ailments in the game, like Fleas, Gilded Guts Disorder, and Advanced Swamp Mouth. Once you isolate the cause, you can perform the treatment and collect payment.

Or, you can take a shot in the dark and see where that leads you. But, beware! Using the wrong treatment will cost your Sims valuable time, Simoleons, and heavily stress out your patient!

Some treatments are too complicated for the exam table and require surgery. Luckily, we have a robust surgery station to perform these complicated treatments. Your Sim can also spay, un-spay, neuter, and un-neuter pets as well. Sadly, pets emerge wearing the cone of shame, but don’t worry, it only lasts for a short time.

When not serving patients in need, your Sims can also craft new Medicines (or direct employees to do it) to sell in the vending machine, use on their own pets, or administer at the exam table to de-stress pets. There’s never a dull moment at the vet clinic!

Long term, pay to train your best employees, or unlock powerful new perks to improve your business further. There’s so much to discover at the vet, and so many ways to customize the experience to enjoy it on your terms.

The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs has so many new things to do, but we made sure players who love earning Simoleons and telling stories have a great new way to do just that as a veterinarian. This is a first for The Sims and we cannot wait to see what you think about it. Perfect that bedside manner and prepare some proper puppy care this November!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
I have not been very lucky with the Doctor and Detective careers, which are always glitching and thus always avoided when I do challenge games.
But I'm super excited about this vet career! And how interesting that we can hire and train employees!

I'm really looking forward to this xpac!

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
I am just hoping pets can give sims fleas. I always wanted a flea bitten beggar sim. It will give me cause to want this thing, as apposed to buying it to have a "complete" game. Come on Fleas!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
@scoed   You made me lol! Thanks for that.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
I just finished watching the Youtube replay of the Simgurus' Twitch livestream of the Vet Clinic from October 26.

If you haven't seen it yet, the link is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukoPV6KGfQ

The vet clinic looks fun and I'm looking forward to their next livestream (next Thursday or so?) that explores Brindleton Bay, which looks really lovely so far.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
Apparently the pets do not get sick every two to three sims days like the dev said on the live stream but rather will be sick maybe once or twice in their lives. Not sure if this was changed due to concerned simmers voicing their err... displeasure at the frequency or the dev who designed this feature just got it wrong. lol  :P

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
Haha, frequently ill pets would be a windfall for the veterinarian but a plague for the pet owners! Lol!
Thanks for letting us know, Playalot!

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2017, 02:50:30 AM »
Can't they just use the same model as with people-Sims? Meaning sick pets will crowd the vet clinic, but when playing a family, sickness only happens every so often. Afterall, people usually get sick more often than animals in real life.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »
That's probably what they have done Nindigo. There was just some confusion when the dev on the Vet Clinic live stream said a few times that pets will get sick every two to three sim days. This has been changed/corrected to: pets will get sick maybe once or twice in their life span. However there are vet treats your sims can make to err... make your pet sick should you want them pooping gold bars (which your sim can sell- yes really, this is a thing), or just to experience taking them to an NPC vet etc etc.

I think the sickness side of pets should be fairly well balanced if they are only getting sick by eating bad food, one or twice by RNG game mechanics or because your sim is feeding them 'negative' treats.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 02:16:11 AM »
Quote from: Playalot
However there are vet treats your sims can make to err... make your pet sick should you want them pooping gold bars

For real? ??? Great, I will never think of golden retrievers the same way again. Shame on you, Sim-vets. How can such a process even be healthy? But I suppose Sims with the materialistic trait will appreciate this feature. *Glances at Caleb*

As for the last bit, I agree with you.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
Has everyone got the chance to watch the Twitch livestream "Brindleton Bay Tour"?

Here's the link yo!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187069956

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks ozhizu, the world looks lovely. Pretty interesting how worlds have changed since release.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
I'm a little surprised how similar the animations are to those of the TS3 pets (dogs and cats, specifically). You'd think they had merely "copied" them over. Even the appearance of puppies and kittens. What I'm trying to figure out is whether it is to honor TS3 as a game or an attempt to save time/money.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
Move over Geese! We now have Cats and Dogs to poop the proverbial golden egg bar
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
My understanding is that the animations are all new, in fact nothing has been ported over from previous iterations as TS4 was built with a new/different engine. I guess there are only so many ways to animate a cat/dog? I have a sense that perhaps too much focus was placed on CAP and perhaps not enough on game play? We will be able to form our own opinions in three days, well for me in New Zealand anyway. I'm enjoying the fact that we'll be seeing it first for a change, instead of international time zones making us wait till last.

Yep Mags, pooping gold bars is silly and ridiculous, even more so when you realize that they sell for $6006 which is 'poop' spelt backwards in a mirror. This fact was gleefully explained by the guru on the live stream. Forget his name now... Anyway, easy money for a teen runaway who happens to have a stray mutt or two around his neighborhood.  ::)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
@Playalot

I'd just PMed a friend earlier, saying that your teen runaway challenge might be the perfect way to enjoy the new Pets xpac without committing myself to 10 generations or four dozen toddlers.
No, not because of the golden poop, lol.

But reading your post above made me realize a runaway wouldn't be able to adopt a puppy, so now I'm wondering how stray pets work and if they could be tamed. :D
I still would love a short challenge using Cats & Dogs.

Offline RiotKitty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »
But reading your post above made me realize a runaway wouldn't be able to adopt a puppy, so now I'm wondering how stray pets work and if they could be tamed. :D
I still would love a short challenge using Cats & Dogs.

If I remember correctly what I've read about the Cats & Dogs pack, you can befriend a stray on the island (name escapes me, atm) with friendly interactions. 

As far as the runaway teen challenge goes, you could prohibit using the golden poop option for the challenge. If prohibiting is too restrictive, just add it as a condition to keep it a true challenge.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »
What are the care requirements? Sim days are so shortened. If you have a career, will your pet be starving when you get off work? Will you have to spend hours feeding, watering, cleaning, exercising your pet each day? I am glad, they apparently don't get sick as often as we originally thought. I like the idea of a new neighborhood. I'm not yet sure I'm wild about yet another thing to add to one's day, between restaurant dates, city events, dance parties, garden tending, eating, showering, sleeping, that one barely has enough time, to work on skills. In a way, I wish they'd shorten skill times, so you could fit more stuff in a day. It might be nice, if time would pass at a slower pace. For most people, they don't have to spend hours every other day, getting rid of plant bugs & pulling weeds.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 12:54:27 AM »
Quote from: Playalot
My understanding is that the animations are all new, in fact nothing has been ported over from previous iterations as TS4 was built with a new/different engine.
Oh, I know. But I do believe they've chosen to mimic TS3's take on pets. But no matter, it doesn't really deter or anything. I simply noticed the similarities in the animations. I'll just be going about my own business again ;D

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:00 AM »
I was thinking @oshizu of altering/updating the teen runaway challenge to take Cats and Dogs into consideration. Need to play around with the pack for a bit first though. I have a few ideas right now that I'm quite keen to try out. It's pretty much how I'll be exploring the new pack, that and having a YA Vamp being a vet as vamps can drink from their pets by making plasma packs with one of the vet's machines. Ha! How gross is that... a definite 'must-do'.  Also pretty sure strays can be befriended and then invited into the household, but of course will need the pack to test that for sure.

@RiotKitty I probably won't ban the exploit of golden poops to be honest as in some ways exploits like that are quite fun to use at first, besides I try to keep the challenge somewhat in the players hands when it comes to difficulty level. Personally I'd probably not use this exploit as I like this challenge to be as difficult as possible but I know other people like it all a bit easier. The trick is to not get too hung up on the rules but to have fun playing it 'your way'. It's probably long over due an update as I haven't actually looked at the rules all year and we've had a load of new content.

@CuriousSim  apparently pets are pretty easy to care for, as long as they are feed and you ask them to go potty they pretty much take care of themselves.

@Nindigo  probably because the same guru who was in charge/worked on TS3 Pets was in charge of TS4 Cats and Dogs.  ;) :P

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Even if they did port over assets from TS3 Pets, animation for quadrupeds is hard and there are a lot of hints that the TS4 team is downsized from earlier games.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
@Playalot vamps can drink from their pets O_O Oh H. E. L. L. nah!

Step away from that pooch, Caleb!! I didn't bring you into my "legacy" so you could munch on my pets! Why you laughing, Lillith? You think I'm going to let you snack on Kitty?!?

lol sorry, couldn't resist...

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
@Playalot vamps can drink from their pets O_O Oh H. E. L. L. nah!

Step away from that pooch, Caleb!! I didn't bring you into my "legacy" so you could munch on my pets! Why you laughing, Lillith? You think I'm going to let you snack on Kitty?!?

lol sorry, couldn't resist...

lol only by placing the pet into the Vets surgery machine and making plasma packs so no rampant vamp attacks actually on a pet.  ;D

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
@Playalot

I'm already your eternal fan but I would be even more so (maybe into our next lives?) if you were to update your Teen Runaway Challenge to accommodate Cats & Dogs!
I've never actually attempted your Teen Runaway Challenge so I'm very iffy about the rules but doesn't the teen not really have a "household" (or, at least, a home) until much later in the challenge?
No rush. I'm planning to finish my Rival Dynasties challenge then, when Cats & Dogs comes out, spend a little time compiling stat threads on the Brindleton Bay townies and lots.

@Magpie2012
ROFL, you and your creative imagination just crack me up! I think you and I should both do Playalot's updated Teen Runaway Challenge with pets.
You know, no stress and all silliness!!!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
@oshizu yep, the teen lives on an empty lot or has a tent until certain criteria are met. Better not chat too much here 'cos I am notorious at taking threads off topic, but post on the challenge thread and tag me if you want to chat about it. Or pm me.  :) But I'm definitely updating the challenge as I want to play it with the new content.

Offline RiotKitty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
@Playalot - I was sort of thinking of the gold-bar poop restriction as an option, much like you describe. That's one of the main reasons I love the Runaway Teen challenge -- I can tailor the rules to fit my play-style.   

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
@Playalot - I was sort of thinking of the gold-bar poop restriction as an option, much like you describe. That's one of the main reasons I love the Runaway Teen challenge -- I can tailor the rules to fit my play-style.   
Yep, for sure.  :) I'm glad it works that way for you as that was my intention. It's always nice to have challenges that players can mold to fit. I've played that challenge so many different ways I've lost count!

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 03:37:56 AM »
It might be interesting, if you could go Count Duckula, on your garden.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
@oshizu ZOMG that would be classic! I'm loosely playing an ISBI, and my first fail was my Founding TH lol so concentrated on keeping the toddler happy and the spouse skilling for work (gotta love a chess table), that I wasn't paying attention to her stats *facepalm

I wonder how Cats and Dogs would fit into all the different challenges. I can't wait for Friday (which will be Thursday for all ya suckas in the States) lol JK! It sucks that it's not coming out to everyone one shot. But, like Play, I'm kinda glad to be in a timezone that will allow me to get it "early".

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »
I was not at all excited about this, but I've been watching some of the videos people made who got the early release and it looks like there are a TON of build and buy adds. I'm definitely going to buy it.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »
Does anyone know what time the expansion comes out? Can I download it at 0:00 on 10th of november on CET? Or do I have to wait for a certain time in an American time zone? (I hope you understand the question, I find it a bit hard to phrase right).

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
If you look at the pack in the Origin Store it will show when it can be downloaded in your area.  :)

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
If you look at the pack in the Origin Store it will show when it can be downloaded in your area.  :)

Thank you

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
Final question: If you get the pack, can you enjoy & admire these pets, without owning them? In other words, can you visit OTHER people's pets & perhaps meet them on the street, without them knocking on your door as strays & filling up all your house slots?

I am interested in the new neighborhood & would like to evaluate the pets on a testing basis. Is there anything to be aware of, that will forever change how the game operates? (Getting bit by vampire or alien dogs, etc. )

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Yes, there are loads of stray animals wandering around Brindleton Bay and some around in the other worlds. You can also place pets into other households and then go visit them etc. The households of Brindleton Bay all have pets, as you'd expect, but of course the other worlds don't so you can add them easily enough through manage worlds etc etc.

Nothing really that effects you like the Vampire pack does. It's all just fairly cute cats and dogs roaming around. It's a bit sad when the strays are hungry or sick but I just fill the pet bowls around the world or place one in build mode and then fill it. If seeing sick strays bothers you can just enable testingcheats and make them happy.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Cool. I think I know enough, to make an informed purchase, now.