Author Topic: Pet misbehaviors?  (Read 3679 times)

Offline jesslc

• Townie
Pet misbehaviors?
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:18:39 AM »
I'm doing the Friend of the animals aspiration for the first time and my sim is stuck on the train out 2 misbehaviors part. Her cat has only shown one misbehavior so far (scratching) and unfortunately I forgot that I had switched away from the friend of the animals aspiration to work on something else, so I missed the cat learning not to do it. I have tried to find more specific information about the possible misbehaviors on the internet but I haven't had much luck finding the answers to my questions so far...

- How many different misbehaviors are there for cats? And for dogs? What are they? The guide says there's about a dozen and mentions some of them but it doesn't seem to have full list nor a guide for this aspiration. (At least, not that I can find).

- Do you need to have specific furniture / a particular house setup / do specific things to see some of the misbehaviors?

- Are there certain pet traits other than mischievous & troublesome that will make it more likely that the pet will do certain misbehaviors?

- How do mischievous/troublesome work - it's says you can encourage the pet to be misbehave, does that still work after you've trained out the behaviour? Can you train them out of the same misbehavior twice with a mischievous cat?

- Can you only train out misbehaviors with your own pets?

- Are kittens/puppies or adult pets more likely to misbehave, or no difference?

- How many pets will I likely need for this aspiration in general (I can see there's also a "train out 4 misbehaviors" requirement later on)? She's been making friends with other households' pets so the friend requirements shouldn't be too hard.

- Any other tips for this that I might not have thought to ask about?

In hindsight, I should have started her with a mischievous cat but I didn't think of that at the time. I have spent a day trying to find her mischievous cat via the adoption agency but so far no luck - I had her get to know 6 different cats during adoption evaluations and none of them were mischievous. Anyone know when the adoption agency will refresh the possible cats? We are living almost entirely outside so I'm not sure about getting a dog - a "peeing inside the house" misbehavior might not work when our only inside area is a tiny bathroom.

Any information and tips you have would be helpful, thanks!

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Re: Pet misbehaviors?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 02:09:33 AM »
Kittens and puppies are so small they would have to work at it to do most of the misbehaviors!
Your setup is so spartan you're probably not seeing a lot of the misbehaviors!  Here's what I can think of:
Jumping on counters, for cats.
Waking up.  As in, they wake YOU up.  If your sim wakes up prematurely, see if "Lecture about waking up" is available.
Knocking trash out of trash cans.
Playing in trash.
Eating trash.
Eating human food.
Scratching, for cats.
Barking, for dogs.
Drinking from puddles.  They can get sick from it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 05:00:54 AM »
Thanks!  :)

I'll try getting one of the regular trash cans, maybe that'll help. (We just have one of the big outdoor ones). I could also try leaving human food out on the table longer, breaking the toilet to get a puddle, or even canceling cleaning up to get a sim to drop a pile of trash. And I'll watch for waking up early.

The glutton trait seems like it could be linked to a higher likelihood of some of those (eg. Eating human food & eating trash), if I continue to have no luck finding a mischievous cat to adopt maybe a glutton cat might be worth a try.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
If you do "cas.fulleditmode", you can add a new pet in CAS and make them however you want them.  Not sure if you need to do "testingcheats on" first or not.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »
I've completed Friends of the Animals once or twice, so I'll have a go at your questions, too.
- How many different misbehaviors are there for cats? And for dogs? What are they? The guide says there's about a dozen and mentions some of them but it doesn't seem to have full list nor a guide for this aspiration. (At least, not that I can find).
Here's a few more not listed by Brian_Z.
*shredding furniture (cats) - buy a cheap sofa or armchair, do not buy a scratching pole
*Jumping on counter (cats)
*Begging for food
I never looked for a list, though. Just kept an eye on my pets, clicking on them whenever they seemed to be doing something undesirable.
When you see the "Scold for..." social, go for it. I had the best luck with a raccoon. He was evil!

- Can you only train out misbehaviors with your own pets? Yes, only your own pets.

- Any other tips for this that I might not have thought to ask about?
My best tip for you, since you mentioned never having played Cats & Dogs before, is to create a separate file and play around with Cats & Dogs for yourself.
Part of the fun of playing a dynasty challenge is exploring new-to-us aspirations ot game mechanics and figuring out how to complete/implement them.
I first had a sim go on a Mt. Komorebi Excursion in a play-testing file, because I was afraid my sim might die rock-climbing due to my inexperience, haha.

Good luck.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 02:27:36 AM »
Thanks!  :)

I played around with C & D for a few days while trying to work out which dreams to start with (aborted attempts 3 & 4). But I didn't see that much more in the way of misbehaving pets then either probably because of my tendency to default to a fairly spartan house on the grass type setup. (Walls are so expensive when you're starting out! Better furniture just seems much more useful). Those attempts were still very helpful with regards to getting my head around the basics of a vet clinic though.

It's great to have some ideas to point me in the right direction. Maybe it's because I've never really had a pet in real life, but I doubt that some of these things would have occured to me otherwise. I've now had my sim leave a pile of trash on the ground, and create a puddle by breaking the toilet. Both have worked to trigger the cat misbehaving so we're on our way again!

anything