Author Topic: House Hunters Challenge: The Baker's Dozen  (Read 35617 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Re: House Hunters Challenge: The Baker's Dozen
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
Awesome strategy, @reggikko, and congratulations, again 8)!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
Congratulations, @reggiko! Great strategy. I rarely use the transformation capability because of the fires -- good to know that Carefree helps with that.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher

Offline SimsAholic

• Nooboo
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
great job @reggikko congratulations

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
Big congrats @reggikko to a well-played strategy!
Thanks so much for sharing your detailed tips and tricks, here and in the forum's dynasty challenges!

Congrats, too, to everyone in the tournament!
We're all playing to the end, right?  :D

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
Congratz Reggikko. It was really an impressive job.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
OMG @reggikko congrats for the win and great strategy!

What I did was to make a list of (most of) the house prices so that I would not find myself  unable to buy the next house. I was gonna have the 5-6 houses over 200k last and keep a close eye on the 254 vs the 257 ones so that I don't cross that line then load the last house with things. I wanted to have the big value on all houses as I thought it will make the difference in the score (should I have the time to actually finish )

I chose painting as my initial money maker and then I got connections for both sims one leaving painter last and one Scientist but didn't know about landscape not losing the value nor did I think about buying the cheapest houses in the beginning.

At house 5 I got the SimRay while at work and then started transforming. I used the 30$ dining chair to transform (will try the locker next time).

One question - as I didn't play Sims 4 outside the challenges that much - you said your sims never got to work. Can you get the SimRay without going to work? Or can you transform objects without the SimRay?

Cheers!
WP

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
@Whimsical Peanut Yes, you can get the Sim ray without going to work. You need to be at Level 4 of the career, which you get with the Connections reward. You can buy the Invention Constructor and place it on your home lot. It's expensive, around $3K, but I did it because it is a time saver rather than having to wait for the next shift when my Sim has the breakthroughs and materials. Generally, when you transform objects, the game gives you something with the same footprint and/or the same height. That's why the lockers or the cheap shower are good to use for getting the expensive fridges.

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »
I had never heard of the transformer. I haven’t had time to play through most of the careers since I got into Sims 4 about 3 years after it’s release.

So I made two separate painting clubs, one for each sim, with paint being the only thing for them to do in the club. Within two days, each club had 8 members, very inspired, and rally the troops. I bought 28 easels and let my club go to work making me money. I also removed anything remotely interesting from the house and stored it temporarily in the household inventory— TVs, computers, bookcases, chessboards, sinks, stereos — and locked all the doors that I could. Later, after I bought more expensive houses, I got lazy and just removed the stairs so I didn’t have to lock every door on the different floors. That came back to bite me in my second to last house when I didn’t realize there was a basement with a TV. I could not figure out where my club members kept wandering off to!

Both my sims got into the painter career for the Sell to Art Gallery option, which gives you 20% over the base price. They would take their 3 vacation days, quit, then re-join that career. I needed both sims available for selling because I noticed in my testing that if the club members didn’t have a spare easel, they’d wander away and I could never get them interested in painting again.

After the 6th day, once I started to be assured I’d have enough money generated to buy my next house, I kept paintings over $2500 or so in the sims’ inventories so that I could use them to decorate my current lot before I left. I tried to get within $500 of the next lot price with my decorating. Paintings sims make don’t depreciate in value. But if I had sold them and used the funds to buy stuff for the house to try to boost the lot value, that stuff would have depreciated, which would have lowered my bang for my buck.

This was a really fun challenge to prepare for but I was exhausted at the end because it was all rinse, repeat after the first few days. I had to force myself to finish it.  :-\

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »
Congrats @reggikko Well done! 

I just couldn't motivate myself to do this one.  I am looking forward to the career challenge, though.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:06 PM »
@GlazeyLady bet we had the same strategy again.

@cyclonenic, our strategies were very different this time - yours was MUCH better - not only did you get better results, but your strategy sounds like way more fun than mine!  I relied also on a club (didn't think of creating 2 clubs - that was quite brilliant @xyliajames) and I had one of my sims earning through photography.  He took photos all day, every day, at every house.  It was pretty boring way to make a lot of money.

I didn't think about avoiding depreciation by keeping the houses at a low value until the end - that was very smart @reggikko! I also didn't consider the SimRay - I have seen that others use it for money, but I haven't ever really been very successful at that.  Now I see that it's because I've been transforming the wrong objects - I didn't realize that basic size stays the same, so that helps you get more of the kinds of things you want - thank you for sharing that @reggikko.

Congrats to the winners!  And also to everyone who finished - I'm so happy to see so many people playing!

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
(didn't think of creating 2 clubs - that was quite brilliant @xyliajames)

*blushing*

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you!

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2018, 04:08:05 AM »
First, Congratulations @reggikko !  That's an amazing strategy.  Didn't even occur to me.

Second,  I finally finished in the top half!  Which I'm going to enjoy because based on my play testing that will not happen for the next challenge.

I had so much fun with this one, even though I didn't quite figure it out.  I did notice the automatic depreciation when you move onto a lot (it's between 10% & 15%), but when I did the math, the losses were outweighed by the higher sale price for the more expensive houses.  I also had a spreadsheet that showed how much I'd need to earn to move into every house more expensive than the one I was in.  So the strategy was to move into the most expensive house I could afford and ensure that I could do so the next day so that I wouldn't get stranded early or end up topping out before the end of the challenge.

I also did the painting club thing.  Alice, Amaya, and Ulrike for their art skills and then 3 more who were nice.  Because these people would be with each other for 23ish hours/day, they needed to not have hotheads running around.  (I couldn't keep track of two clubs, I just got confused in the trial).  The club also had cooking and cleaning (and when needed "repair objects") as activities, so there was always food around and so that they'd keep the house(s) in good enough condition to keep the other sims from being uncomfortable so they could keep painting.  I would also remove everything interesting from the house (no computers, no tv), set up a few beds so they could sleep (until I figured out "rally the troops"), and made one room in the house the "studio" where all of the easels would go.  There were times where I couldn't herd them as well as I would have liked to, but as I'd just finished with the toddler challenge, I was used to trying to indirectly influence sims that I couldn't control :)

My sims were a married couple.  They were both painters (so either could sell to the art gallery).  She got Connections so that they could get the better easel.  Neither actually ever went to work, they just vacationed, quit, and re-upped at appropriate intervals.  They went around painting and selling paintings (I had this idea early the first Monday to do something with bonsais.  It didn't work.  Luckily, it also didn't take that much time while it wasn't working).  Because there is no art gallery advantage to Masterpieces, those went on the walls to raise the value of the house.  (same with the initial poor paintings).

For the final house, I tried to figure out how to up the price as much as possible (again, putting masterpieces on the walls, and using Mansion Baron to buy things).  It is an unearthly shade of blue and has the most expensive flooring that I could find.   

Could someone explain to me why you'd start and quit all of the professions?  What does that do?

Like I said, I had a lot of fun.  Thank you!  Between the test files and the final file, I saw houses that I don't think I've ever seen before and it was fun trying to keep ahead of everything.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2018, 06:17:13 AM »
Could someone explain to me why you'd start and quit all of the professions?  What does that do?

You'd just be trying to grab the first rewards by having Connections. So, after jumping into a career and grabbing your rewards, you immediately quit. Rinse and repeat.