Author Topic: Stay-at-Home Parent  (Read 17918 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Stay-at-Home Parent
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
I think @Nikitachi's problem with the child not doing anything was due to a bug. I had the same one; it came after the patch for Island Living. My child would have to be influenced to pee, to eat, etc. I didn't think to put my two Sims in a club.

Congratulations to @Deveroux, and thanks to everyone who participated!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
I tried a few different practice runs, one with each of the freelancer branches and found the programming one was less tricky/complicated/whatever.

I also tried with different toddler traits and think I settled on clingy.

I sent Zandy and Geran to the park and I had Zandy influence Geran to play on the playground equipment.

I then went back home and tried to do the programming. I created a club and I purchased multiple moodlet solvers for Zandy from her whim points.

I'd like to know how people managed to get so much money from the freelancer career.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »
Another good thing about the programming branch is that after you fill the performance bar once, you get the ability to overclock your computer.  According to the game, this lets you complete programming tasks faster, and it did seem to help.

Oh yes, did that too! Forgot about it already, but it surely seemed to help.

I think @Nikitachi's problem with the child not doing anything was due to a bug. I had the same one; it came after the patch for Island Living. My child would have to be influenced to pee, to eat, etc.

Ouch. You're most likely right. Now knowing that the Baby Boomer challenge is coming, this may have a HUGE impact. I wonder what we should do in case they don't fix it in time.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
I tried a few different practice runs....

Dek -- just wanted to give a shout out to you and say it's great to see you hopping in the challenges again. I know you took quite a break from Sims 4 events.

Offline Syrcen

• Nooboo
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
I went to bed right after I posted.  Math is not normally so hard. I was so tired. Thank you for fixing it.

Now I have a new question.
I don't have all/most of the expansions. I just get the ones that end up sounding super fun at release.  Specifically I only have spa day, outdoor retreat, and get to work. Usually I can figure out how I can do everything.

I could not use clubs or ....influence? (Is that the parenting game pack or part of get together?) without buying something. And maybe I should do that but I didn't.

My parent would Fish together with.... and then cancel out the action while her child leveled her mental skill.
My parent would Play Dolls with... and cancel out while her daughter ran to the doll house. Enjoy your creative skill.
And finally my parent would add her sweet girl to a group, and then Dance together or mostly just start dancing and invite the child before ditching. Movement.  I could have gotten to level ten motor if I had given up on social sooner.

Did anyone find any other ways to level the child social skill?

Just talking to the child was sort of inefficient.  She didn't seem to get points in her skill for me talking at her and she wasn't very chatty if I left the channel clear but my sim was happy to fill the void and slow her work.  >:(  I tried inviting street rando people to dance with us, or struck up a three person conversation before removed my adult from the conversation but the child would spend an hour and just listen to the strange adult talk.  No points. She would never talk to an adult just because mommy is ignoring her and the person was on our property for hours.  I thought it was going to be the easiest skill but I never figured it out.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
@Syrcen I'm not sure how you would get social without the Parenthood pack. What I did was influence my child to play with the teddy bear. She got the 10 social points quickly by doing that. I also made use of clubs and set the club activity to whatever skill I wanted the child working on. You did an awesome job without those two packs, though!

Offline Deveroux

• Nooboo
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
As for the toddler care - I didn't buy the high chair this time at all. Instead, I bought some vegetable seeds, opened them and then fed my toddler a couple of veggies every time he got hungry (not only is this fast, but also gives a +1 happiness).

Ohh that's smart, I wasted plenty of time putting ham sandwiches on the high chair then letting my toddler be trapped in there.

Alright, grand strategy: Ignore the poor kid.

I gave him the independent trait so he'd make better use of his alone time. Gave him some blocks and a car toy, and invited the club over so he could develop social.

Optimized lot traits, gave my toddler a room with a bed, gave myself a room with a reliable computer and a chess table. Traits were Genius, Cheerful, and Evil (my child was never happy, so it worked out). Had Good Timers all the way through to first increase the Programming skill speed then to max my Focused vibe. Decided on programming because that's my real-life job, and overclocking won my heart (+4 focused is a tad OP, don't you think?).

In the beginning while I was getting my Programming club perk, I did potty train my toddler once and did Teach Shapes with the blocks for a little, but after that, the only times I left my room were to feed the child and to Rally the Troops, and to cap off one of the skill levels right before his birthday.

I did the REDACTED gig when I could and otherwise aimed for the website page ones. I did do 2 apps and 1 game when those weren't available; hacking was okay too.

I had this weird bug where my gig list (only for programming) would reduce to like 3, which first happened after I overclocked my computer and occurred a couple times later, but doing all of those seemed to temporarily fix it. Idk, it was weird and a pain, the internet told me to just reset the sim but it didn't work, so *shrugs* I dealt.

I did the same thing as others having my kid in the club, (throwing in some monkey bars for movement, a toddler toy for creativity, a teddy bear for social, and a science table for mental) and he did it all himself. Even let him go to school if he was on track instead of locking him in a room like my practice run. He totally lit my monkey bars on fire after I left them in the science table blast radius.  ::) Won't be doing that again lol.

I think the main reason my score was so high was because I didn't bother training my child at all and focused on maxing my career bar over and over to get bonuses and up my gig payments. It got me to a higher income level for a longer amount of time, so then I was making bank that well overrode the toddler multiplier bonus that I missed out on.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2019, 02:06:27 AM »
Congratulations on winning, @Deveroux and great strategy 8).

Great strategies, everyone!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
Grats @Deveroux , that score was amazing!

Posted by: Syrcen« on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:52 AM Did anyone find any other ways to level the child social skill?

Yes, taking away all toys except for the Unicorn plush so she had nothing else to do for fun but talk to it, hehe. :P

Lol, was I the only one that focused mostly on the toddler/child multiplier? I kind of just wanted to get that out of the way and she was so cute I couldn't help myself, probably should have put a bit more effort into the career but on well. ;D

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2019, 06:54:14 AM »
@Rainbow Dash you weren't the only one. I basically didn't do anything about the freelancer career until Geran reached childhood and went to school. Then I sent him to school each day and Zandramas spent her days doing freelancing and nights focusing on him. I didn't get enough freelance things done obviously to get the performance bar thing filled for her. But I did get her to parenting skill 10 and had her be the monster at the neighbourhood child fort thing.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2019, 11:11:31 PM »
Congrats Deveroux and everyone else who did this challenge.

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
Congrats to everyone!  :D
It's the first time I try an independent career,I'm surprised to see that it brings so much money!
I found this challenge hard when the child was a toddler (I mostly focused on him) but then it was much easier.

To level up the social skill for the child you can make him use the puppet theatre. It works very well  ;)