Author Topic: The Kindle Random Town Jump  (Read 41110 times)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
The Kindle Random Town Jump
« on: June 03, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »
Introduction

I’ve been itching to do a Random Town Jump for ages, ever since reading Ausette’s Jones Random Town Jump. (Which, if you haven’t read, you should absolutely go read. It’s my favorite story on this forum and I think I’ve read it all the way through about eight times.) And since this challenge is basically designed for computers that suck (because you get to start fresh in each town), it's perfect for me and my rather terrible laptop. This will be a shorter challenge for me because I only have a few towns/expansion packs installed on this computer.

I’m following these rules by JudesSims. I will be rolling all traits for future generations, but choosing Lifetime Wishes myself. I have the following NRaas mods installed: Story Progression, Master Controller, and Overwatch.

As always, apologies in advance for the less-than-fantastic quality of these screenshots. My computer has the capacity and overall toughness of a toothpick. What can I say. I hope to make up for it with a goodish story.

Now, I’m impatient. Let’s get going!

Chapter Links

Town #1 – Twinbrook
Chapter 1 – Blazing the Trail
Chapter 2 – Amongst the Tomatoes
Chapter 3 – Fire Angel
Chapter 4 – The Ex-Rookie Returns
Chapter 5 – Tag
Chapter 6 – Girls & Earthquakes
Chapter 7 – Corrielations
Chapter 8 – Love Rectangle
Chapter 9 – Cheaters
Chapter 10 – Flirty & Fighty
Chapter 11 – Dinner vs. Brunch
Chapter 12 – Finally, Some Maturity
Chapter 13 – Esplanades & Esplanations
Chapter 14 – A New Game
Chapter 15 – Pink Zebra Stripes
Chapter 16 – Reasons to Wear a White Dress

Town #2 – Sunset Valley
Chapter 17 – A Sunny Beginning
Chapter 18 – And Then There Were Babies
Chapter 19 – A Lot Of Toddling
Chapter 20 – The Blaze
Chapter 21 – Boys & Butlers
Chapter 22 – Half-Made Pasta
Chapter 23 – Boys Will Be Boys Or Something
Chapter 24 – Everything Is Flammable
Chapter 25 – What It's Like To Be Salad
Chapter 26 – Exciting Things Happen When You Wear a Bikini
Chapter 27 – Boys Become Men
Chapter 28 – The Prettiest Crumplebottom
Chapter 29 – Swimwear Wedding

Town #3 – Lucky Palms
Chapter 30 – To The Desert!
Chapter 31 – Confetti & Possible Mermaids
Chapter 32 – Ah, Well
Chapter 33 – A Deep Gorge
Chapter 34 – Blooming Cactus, Fruitless Watermelon
Chapter 35 – The Lucky Coin Pays Off At Last
Chapter 36 – Four-Leaf
Chapter 37 – Home Education
Chapter 38 – Ashes to Ashes
Chapter 39 – Two Parties, Two Princes
Chapter 40 – Graveyard Love
Chapter 41 – In Which Nile Goes Temporarily Bald
Chapter 42 – Discoveries
Chapter 43 – Fishing Expeditions
Chapter 44 – Moon Happenings
Chapter 45 – Twenty-Eight Quick Drinks
Chapter 46 – Canyonot?
Chapter 47 – Spars & Nighties
Chapter 48 – Old Ladyhood
Chapter 49 – Boy Friend
Chapter 50 – Drama, Prom-a
Chapter 51 – A Flair for the Dramatic
Chapter 52 – Something Matchy, Something Un-Matchy
Chapter 53 – Stranded
Chapter 54 – Smile & Gladnyss
Chapter 55 – Waxing Poetic

Town #4 – Riverview
Chapter 56 – On the Road Again
Chapter 57 – Clink
Chapter 58 – Eyeballs
Chapter 59 – Happy Campers
Chapter 60 – Death(s) & Birth(s)
Chapter 61 – Things Happening In Yards
Chapter 62 – It's About Time
Chapter 63 – Afraid of Cake
Chapter 64 – Fuzzy Legwarmers
Chapter 65 – Hearts Everywhere
Chapter 66 – Boys
Chapter 67 – The Final Spar
Chapter 68 – Father & Daughter
Chapter 69 – Good & Evil
Chapter 70 – The Oddball One
Chapter 71 – Dawn of the Derick
Chapter 72 – Imagine the Butterflies

Town #5 – Bridgeport
Chapter 73 – City of Dreams
Chapter 74 – Fiery Flamingo
Chapter 75 – Sunny Days

Offline Beks

• Immortal
Re: The Kindle Random Town Jump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
Chapter 1 – Blazing the Trail

Our first town of the challenge is Twinbrook, the land of foggy streets, spooky swamps, and dimly-lit corners ideal for getting mugged. But also it’s really beautiful. In an industrial-alien-world kind of way.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And our first house of the challenge is this lovely lot on Sweetwater Loop. I don’t know why it looks so dark. I guess that’s Twinbrook for you. Or maybe my computer.

This house comes with the town, and I didn’t have to change it much––I think it’s already very charming. I added a few more lights to brighten up the place and upgraded some of the furniture with our starting household funds.

I also expanded the top floor, adding a spacious second bedroom on the right-hand side where there was just a roof before. We’ll need the space for future kiddos.

Our founder is a familiar townie you’ve probably run into in your jaunts around Twinbrook––the lovely Blaise Kindle. Look at that firelicious hair! Her favorite color is orange, which means that no matter what she’s wearing, she just looks like a human-shaped mass of macaroni & cheese 100% of the time. I dig it.

Unfortunately, for the purposes of this story, I had to move Blaise’s dear best friend, Alma Drill, out of the household and into her own bungalow somewhere on the swampy outskirts of Twinbrook. I feel sorta bad, but, you know, not extremely bad. Blaise isn’t going to be alone for very long if I have anything to say about it. (And don’t worry––good ol’ Story Progression matches Alma up with a nice gentleman within about a day.)

First on Blaise’s To Do List: get a makeover. Second, get a new job.

Blaise’s traits, if you’re wondering, are Brave, Slob, Daredevil, Athletic, and Heavy Sleeper. Basically, she’s a born firefighter (if you ignore the fact that she tends to sleep through alarms). Her Lifetime Wish, unsurprisingly, is Firefighter Super Hero––she wants to save the lives of 30 sims in the Firefighter profession.

Blaise spends her first day applying for a job at the Fire Department downtown (actually, it’s about a block away from her house, which is perfect).

Then, since time is of the essence, she heads across town to the Hi-Tech Friends household to meet and woo her future hubby.

I’ve been wanting to get Justin Kayes as a spouse for a long time. He was a strong contender for Odile’s spouse in my Middlemiss Random Legacy, and I’ve nearly picked him in some other games as well. This time, I intend to snag him, no matter what it takes.

It doesn’t look like it will take too much effort, though. He’s a sweetheart and eagerly chats with Blaise even though he’s never seen her before in his life (I assume, but who knows).

“Hey, cutie. How would you like to move in with a rapidly aging woman with a low-level job and 2,000 simoleons to her name?”

There IS a bit of an age difference between these two. It’s not huge, but it’s there. Blaise is a few days into Aduthood, while Justin still has a couple weeks left as a Young Adult. Which makes these initial interactions feel sliiiightly weird to me.

I think things are going to work out fine, though. Justin only appears mildly grossed out when Blaise shows off her ability to eat dirt without dying.

Then, Blaise goes in for the kill.

“Hey Justin. Did I mention that I’m a Firefighter?”

“SHUT UP. YOU’RE A––OH. MY. GOD. YOU ARE NOT.”

“It’s nothing to be alarmed about, I just––“

“YES, I’LL MOVE IN WITH YOU. I’LL MOVE IN WITH YOU RIGHT NOW.”

Well, that was easy. I can’t imagine that Justin would want to move out of this fancy house with his best guy friends unless he really liked a girl. A good sign, I guess?

The first thing Justin does when he moves in is cook some dinner for himself and his new roommate. What does he make? Macaroni and cheese, of course.

This is when I find out that mac and cheese is not Blaise’s favorite food.

Justin: “Mmm, not bad for a guy who’s never cooked before! Ha ha! Blaise, how’s yours?”

Blaise: *cough* *gag*

“Blaise? Is something wrong?”

“Nope. Mmmrrff. Delishush.”

With their bellies full and their hearts fluttering, Blaise and Justin get their after-dinner flirt on. It’s almost as if Justin knew why he was invited to move in.

Blaise plants her first kiss on Justin’s stubbly chin, and with that, these two are a couple.

Did I mention that time is of the essence? Blaise gets right down to it and asks her boyfriend-of-five-seconds to marry her.

Justin is about the easiest fish to catch, and I mean that in a good way. Thanks for being drama-free, Justin!

I think Justin Kayes is pretty cute as he is, but I pop him into CAS just to see if there’s a better hairstyle out there for him and OH.

YOU GUYS.

JUSTIN KAYES HAS EARS.

Does everyone else already know about the ears? Am I really late to the party here? Well, I don’t care. Those are the CUTEST ears I have ever seen in my life. I didn’t think Justin could get any cuter, but then…OH. MY.

Okay, we’re definitely sticking with that short hairstyle, purely so we can enjoy those ears as much as possible. And the man gets some new outfits just for fun. Welcome to the family, Justin!

Justin’s traits are Handy, Perceptive, Genius, Light Sleeper, and Computer Whiz. His LTW is The Tinkerer, and at the moment, he’s employed in the science career. The next morning, I have him quit. I’d rather him be free to work on his Lifetime Wish and take care of future nooboos.

And that’s all we have time for in this inaugural chapter of the Kindle Random Town Jump. Welcome aboard, everyone! Choo choo or whatever.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Chapter 2 – Amongst the Tomatoes

The following day is Blaise’s first day as a real, live firefighter. She meets her coworkers, maintains all the fire alarms, and misses her first fire. (The alarm goes off about three times, then goes silent, and the opportunity disappears from the map. This will later prove to be a persistent and obnoxious bug, but at this point in time, it doesn’t faze me much. Ah well.)

That night, Justin and Blaise throw themselves a wedding party, inviting everyone they know (which is not exactly a lot of people). This grandiose old lady, Anna-Liza Riddle, is the first guest to arrive. Apparently she couldn’t analyze the riddle of a wedding invitation very well, because she wore WHITE. Or almost-white.

I mean, she practically usurps Blaise’s position as bride in the LITERAL sense.

“Oh, hello, dahhhling. Thank you SO much for inviting me to this little shindig. Do excuse me while I plunge my elegantly gloved arm downwards into your chest cavity.”

Once everyone is gathered, Justin and Blaise stand under a pretty archway by their fenced-in garden and say their vows. Blaise looks a lot younger in this outfit, somehow. She also looks like a freaking candlestick in the light of the tiki torches.

Here’s the only shot of Blaise’s shoulder tattoo I’ve gotten so far in this story.

Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Kindle!

The newlyweds cut the cake as their guests look on. Notice how sweet Blaise looks, and how demonic Justin looks.

As the party winds down, the lovebirds rendez-vous in the vegetable garden for some late-night kissing amongst the tomatoes.

Then they head inside for their first woohoo. Anna-Liza Riddle spots them and toootally knows what they’re up to.

“Have fun, children! I’ll just be out here dancing away until dawn!”

Justin and Blaise shut the door behind them, muffling the old lady’s obnoxious yelling. And they have a lovely night together as husband and wife.

The morning after the wedding, I realize what dire straits these two are in financially. They have a great house with all the furnishings they need, of course, but after the furniture upgrades at the start of the game and my rather lavish spending on wedding accoutrements, the Kindle family is getting scarily low on funds. And since Blaise just got married, she can’t go to work for a few days.

As such, Justin gets started on what is going to be his career, sort of––being a computer whiz / science geek. (His main sources of income: hacking, discovering stars, and “solving the unsolvable”.) He smooshes his nose against his computer monitor during his first overclocking attempt, but he starts to get the hang of it before long. (Not that I have any idea what overclocking is.)

Blaise, meanwhile, takes advantage of the large garden out back and starts harvesting the vegetables to sell. She’s about to pluck some ripe tomatoes when a mysterious wave of nausea hits her. Maybe she swallowed a bug by accident?

Poor Justin has a hard time dealing with the layout of the upstairs. The “open bedroom” concept doesn’t work well with his Light Sleeper trait––the washer and dryer I installed keep him up most of the night. (This is before I realize there is already a washer and dryer downstairs in a nook by the kitchen that have been there since we moved in. Oops.)

Blaise is kept up half the night, too––first by nausea, then by the realization that the Kindle family is about to grow by one. Hooray!

These early days of marriage are a challenging time, but these two are very in love and aren’t afraid to show it. Justin frequently interrupts Blaise’s gardening to kiss and flirt with her. He’s also, naturally, very excited to be a dad. Even though these days are packed with skilling and trying to earn scraps of money any way we can, they are a precious and fleeting time of life. We're sure to miss these days when they go flying out the window.

Aaaaand there they go.

After a quick trip to the hospital, Blaise gives birth to a baby boy and names him Ash. Very nice, Blaise. What did you do, make a list of names that have something to do with fire? How original!

Blaise and Justin make some very cute parents. Justin likes to look at me while he’s playing with his son. Like, “Hey, you! Look at this cute baby I got!”

Speaking of fleeting time…this is utterly random and not story-related, but I discovered while playing recently that the clocks in this game ACTUALLY MOVE. And not only do they move, they move CORRECTLY. For some reason I thought a screenshot of the clock would illustrate this for you guys. Just imagine that it’s moving and that it’s actually 5:21 in-game, okay? Because it WAS. I swear.

Very soon after giving birth to Ash, Blaise becomes pregnant for a second time. Her window of opportunity for having babies gets smaller every day, and she and Justin both pop wishes to have another baby as soon as Ash is born, so I decide to let them go ahead and make it happen.

A little while later, it’s time for Ash to become a toddler! A rapidly swelling Blaise carries him to his very first birthday cake.

As the sparkles hit baby Ash, Blaise slurps some crumbs off a plate in the background. Way to be present for your son’s first birthday, Blaise.

And here’s our little nugget!

Ash is an adorable combination of his parents. He was born with the Artistic and Virtuoso traits––a surprisingly awesome combo for our first random roll. He likes Hip Hop, Vegetarian Grilled Salmon, and the color Spiceberry.

Next time, we’ll meet Baby #2. See ya then!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
Chapter 3 – Fire Angel

Ash is growing fast. Soon he’ll be far too big for his mother to lift out of the crib. (Of course, Blaise is growing fast, too. But soon she’ll shrink back to her normal size.)

In the meantime, she takes her son out to the sprinkler-soaked garden for some walking lessons. I guess she likes to take the growing thing literally? Nah, there’s no perspective on this situation that will hide the fact that it’s idiotic. I mean, they’re both wearing SOCKS!

Hopefully Ash will grow up to be a normal kid in spite of his unusual toddler education. He takes to the xylophone very quickly––a promising sign.

Ash is one of the happiest-looking toddlers I’ve ever seen. Look at that smile!

Before long, Blaise goes into labor for a second time.

Her daughter Seraphina enters the world via the kitchen. Or rather, enters the kitchen via Blaise.

Right after giving birth, Blaise wants to do nothing but work off the weight she supposedly gained during her pregnancy. All her wishes have something to do with working out for long periods of time or reaching the next level of the athletic skill. Or, maybe she just wants to look good when she goes back to the firehouse in a few days. I think she looks better than ever.

With two kids in the house now, I decide to let Blaise and Justin have a night out on the town together. They call up a babysitter and head out to the Red Rendezvous, where they play several intense games of foosball in their formalwear.

When their wrists start to get sore, they head next door to the Bistro, where a very grumpy townie (I forget who this is) hisses at them in warning.

“I’m telling you, do NOT get the grilled salmon special! It was DISGUSTING!”

Blaise responds by standing right in front of the menu sign and giving what’s-her-face the evil eye. What’s-her-face walks away grumbling to herself.

But then, she comes right back to stand moodily next to Blaise and Justin’s table while they eat. Jeez, give them a little privacy, lady!

Apparently Blaise enjoys her dinner, because afterwards, she walks back up to the menu sign that old lady was yelling about and gives a little cheer, as if applauding the chefs for a lovely meal. Aww!

The cuteness continues when these two autonomously plop down in the middle of the outdoor dining area and look at the stars together. I think they needed this chance to rekindle (heh) their romance. I’m glad they’re enjoying themselves…

…because back at home, a hungry and dirty Ash is screaming at his very terrible babysitter.

See? Instead of feeding the poor toddler, this guy just plows right into the high chair, smushing Ash’s face into his shirt while giving me this look that is somehow both bewildered and indignant. I know babysitting is hard, kid, but I promise you it doesn’t require breaking the laws of physics. At least, not usually.

Blaise and Justin come to the rescue soon after that. I don’t think we’ll be using that babysitter again anytime soon.

The next morning, it’s Seraphina’s first birthday! Blaise looks more excited than I ever imagined possible.

“Ugh. Why do we have to have CAKE everytime somebody ages up? Why can’t it be a salad or some grilled chicken?? I have a physique to maintain!”

The sparkles hit Seraphina, and oh, my. She is a dream come true!

She got her mother’s fiery hair AND her father’s adorable ears! I couldn’t be more thrilled. Seraphina is a Genius who Hates the Outdoors, and her favorite things are Hip Hop, Tri-Tip Steak, and the color Pink.

Right away, I must indulge myself with some toddler spam. I mean, look at this little beauty.

LOOK at her!

The only person in the household who’s not a fan of Seraphina is the maid, Anne T. Septik. She just goes around booing everyone between cleaning tasks.

Well, and Ash seems a little uncertain about having a baby sister. Or maybe his daddy isn't the best teacher.

That very evening is Justin’s adult birthday. I can’t tell if he looks excited or terrified.

Okay, definitely terrified.

It’s going to be okay, Justin. Just keep the cute hairstyle, okay?

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
Chapter 4 – The Ex-Rookie Returns

Justin and Blaise settle into a routine with two kiddos in the house, but it takes some time and adjustment. Justin’s sleep schedule tends to vary depending on when the kids need attention (as does Blaise’s, to some extent). When he has to get up in the middle of the night to feed or change one of the babies, Justin often spends a few hours hacking while he’s up. We need all the help we can get in terms of funds right now.

The day after Seraphina’s toddler birthday, Blaise finally gets to go back to work. She’s eager to get back to the firehouse (she’s been popping wishes to maintain that fire engine almost every day since she left), and I think Justin is ready to have the house to himself. Well…himself and two needy toddlers.

As soon as she arrives at the firehouse, Blaise is greeted by this lovely face. Sofia Carlton-Tucker is just thrilled to have the ex-rookie back and rocking a level 4 status (thanks solely to her handiness and athletic skills).

Blaise and Sofia end up arguing autonomously for the first couple hours of Blaise’s workday. It takes a while for the notification to pop up revealing that Sofia has the Dislikes Children trait. Aha! No wonder she’s so disgusted with Blaise’s absence.

“I was literally birthing two humans, Sofia. You think I could have run around town throwing myself into fires while I had a BABY inside me??”

Sofia responds to every one of Blaise’s statements with this face.

“You know, I always knew you were lazy, Blaise. I can’t believe the city gave you paid leave after you only worked for ONE DAY!”

The squabbling goes on for a while, even as Sofia’s husband, the pudding-faced Demetrius Carlton-Tucker, comes up and tries to distract his wife by forcefully tickling her armpit.

At this moment, a couple things happen at once. Firstly, the firehouse alarms start blaring. It’s Blaise’s first blaze! And secondly, Sofia is suddenly overwhelmed with conviction and apologizes to Blaise!

“I didn’t mean it, universe! I didn’t mean it! Please don’t burn us all alive in this hell hole!”

Of course, about five seconds after the alarms go off, they cease. We still have the glitch that makes Blaise’s career opportunities evaporate before she can do anything. As I bang my forehead against the desk in frustration, the firefighters continue pointing and yelling as if there’s still a fire.

Tim Burre: “Fire on Puddlewick Drive! Everybody MOVE OUT!”

Lady In Orange Shorts: “Sofia! Don’t look now but there’s some sort of gross insect on your chest!”

Sofia’s troubles aren’t over. After flicking the nonexistent insect away, she promptly shoves her arm into a brick wall, cementing it there up to the elbow.

“Somebody call the fire department! I need the jaws of life! HEEEELP!”

“…Say, where IS the fire department, anyway?”

“Demetrius, honey? Did you find the fire department?”

“Shhhh. Yes, but it’s a secret.”

At least Blaise figures out that the fire was a bust, and decides to use her time wisely. Let’s just say she’s bonding with a coworker, okay?

Meanwhile, back at home, the toddlers are playing happily downstairs, and Justin is wandering fretfully from mirror to mirror doing this:

After work that day, I decide to indulge Blaise’s longstanding wish to get a tattoo. She’s already almost an elder, and since her kids are so young, I want her to have plenty of time with them while she’s still young and spry herself. So I send her to the salon. The “get a tattoo” interaction keeps canceling for some reason, and then it cancels for real when she sits down in the chair at the exact moment the salon closes for the day…but when I check her age bar, I find that her age has been reset anyway, even though she didn’t actually get a tattoo. Ooookay then. I guess we’re all set. Yay?

The only picture I got from this whole tattoo affair is this one of her autonomously offering Phoenix Prudence a makeover.

Phoenix: “I am a sad, sorry, middle-aged pile of greenish leather garbage.”

Blaise: “Hmm…yep. I’m not sure how much I can do for you, honestly.”

That night, there’s a party at Lang Gwydd’s. I send Justin over to get reacquainted with his old roommate.

And what do you know! Lang’s house is literally swarming with children. Boy, has his life changed since Justin moved out! He’s holding his toddler son, Lavar, and he just had baby twins, a boy and a girl named Cortney and Willow. And I’m pretty sure there’s another toddler running around somewhere that I didn’t get a picture of.

Can you imagine Amy Bull as a mother of four? Now you don’t have to. This is reality, people.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Ash and Seraphina are being the most adorable toddlers ever and playing dolls together. They somehow get into a loop where their actions mirror each other as they play. This shared activity also makes them best friends by the time it’s over. I’m freaking out over here, you guys.

These babies do everything together, it seems. They even learn to walk together. In the garden. Surrounded by sprinklers. Because that’s the only sensible place, really.

Can we just…?! Look at these two!

Seraphina wins the award for most beautiful toddler of all time, though. (Well, except maybe one other toddler in an immortal dynasty I started once. But that’s beside the point.)

Ash’s child birthday happens early Sunday morning, to the tune of Seraphina screaming for attention in the background. (I like this picture because it looks like Blaise is singing an aria in a church choir, or something.)

Ash ages up into a very good-looking child, and rolls the Family-Oriented trait. This kid is the most well-adjusted grade school child I have ever encountered in my life. He’s already got up to three potential skills and careers locked in, he’s curious, bright, and creative, and now he cares about family, too! He’s so perfect I almost want to throw up.

No time to throw up, though. It’s the end of the chapter! Next time, we’ll see more of these beautiful children and their beautiful lives.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Chapter 5 – Tag

Now that Ash is Family-Oriented…well, he’s REALLY family-oriented.

Ash: “I want babies. When can I have babies?”

Thankfully, he doesn’t stand there staring at the crib for too terribly long. Eventually, he finds the easel that has magically appeared in the upstairs bedroom.

Ash: “Wow. I’m, uh…I’m really good at this.”

Yeah, yeah, you’re good at everything, kid. Get over it now before you get pompous.

Seraphina continues to be cute as a button as she learns new words from daddy. I just can’t get over her hair. Somehow that color is a thousand times better on a toddler than it is on Blaise.

Okay, it’s pretty cute on both of them. Don’t these two just look like a big cuddly bowl of mac & cheese?

There’s a lot of love in this household right now. It’s wonderful, but it’s also a little…er, boring? I can’t help but hope we get some troublesome traits in future generations. I’m probably going to regret saying that. One day, I’ll probably miss the lack of melodrama in this household.

Lack of melodrama aside, Blaise has one of the weirdest bodies I’ve ever seen on a sim. She’s so…knobbly. I guess that’s what happens when you work out a lot? I wouldn’t know. Also, who gave her that hairstyle for her swimwear? Not me!

Also, this sprinkler is seriously glitched. It must be the placement of the sprinkler among the plants or something––whatever the case, in order to jump over it as sims do, Blaise has to take a FLYING, FLAILING LEAP about six feet into the air in order to clear the sprinkler. Impressive indeed, even for an Athletic Daredevil!

And yet, Blaise manages to look serene while doing it. Like she’s just hanging up laundry in the sky, or something.

All too soon, it’s time for little Seraphina to have a birthday. Because I’m a careless idiot, I accidentally deleted the screenshots from her birthday, along with a lot of other potentially fascinating screenshots. (We’ll never really know.) Nevertheless, I promise the birthday happened, as you will see in the picture below.

Seraphina ages up into a stunning young girl. Seriously, I’m kind of obsessed with how pretty she is. Seraphina rolls the Light Sleeper trait. Looks like she’s doomed to wake up at the sound of a washing machine, just like her dad.

Since she’s a Genius, all Seraphina ever wants to do is play chess. Doesn’t matter if her brother or her dad or nobody at all is sitting in the other chair. Seraphina is always staring down at that board, 24/7.

And when she’s not playing chess, Seraphina is trying to discover potions. She and her big brother spend a lot of time skilling side by side in their bedroom.

Although she reaches level 4 logic skill within a couple of days, Seraphina still sucks quite a bit at discovering potions. She gets singed a lot.

Luckily, she has a firefighter for a mother who can lecture her for hours on fire safety.

“Oh my gosh, I should totally teach you how to use a fire extinguisher! It’s actually SUPER fun. The next time one of your potions explodes and you light on fire, you can put yourself out! Also, we should check the ventilation in your bedroom, and make sure none of the upstairs doors get locked or stuck, and––”

When the weekend arrives, so does Ash’s birthday. It’s hard to believe this guy is going to be a teenager already. He’s more than prepared, though––he decides to celebrate by throwing a slumber party for all his friends. Bright and early, he gets on the phone to invite all the kids he knows from school.

That done, Ash spends the rest of the afternoon painting his seventh and eighth paintings. He’s already at painting level 5 and is starting to earn a fairly decent amount of money for his work.

The kids arrive, and they end up playing tag for HOURS in the backyard, the brightly-colored lot of them. (I actually love having kids play tag in the sims, because it makes them all best friends so quickly.)

Seraphina eagerly joins in, only to remember that she actually hates being outside.

Seraphina: *pant pant* “You guuuuuys! Why can’t we play indoors?! There’s plenty of space in the...dining room…”

Once he fails for the millionth time at Solving the Unsolvable, Justin gets in the festive spirit and starts dancing on the lawn.

“Isn’t that Ash’s dad?”

“Yeah…why’d we come to this party again?”

Justin: “Shake it! Shake it! Yeah, shake it!”

Ash: “Dad, can you PLEASE go inside? You’re embarrassing me!”

In the middle of the action, Ash is hit with the freight train that is puberty. The game of tag halts and the kids gather round to cheer him on.

Ash adds Excitable to his list of incredibly desirable traits. He also gets a really weird nose, in my opinion. It looks so small compared to the rest of his face.

Unfortunately, Ash’s aging-up ends the party (since he was the one who invited everyone, I guess), and all the kids go running off home. There won’t be a sleepover after all. :(

“Yeah, our host is a teenager now, so this just got kinda weird. Time to go.”

Well, they all leave except for one.

Marcelo Drudge stays behind to pillow fight with Seraphina long into the night.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 02:03:12 PM »
Chapter 6 – Girls & Earthquakes

I lied. After the failed slumber party, one additional guest lingers long after everyone else has left (including Marcelo, the pillow fighter): Larissa Varner. Can you guess which originally townie is her dad? (Hint: it’s all in the skin tone.) After wandering around the house, presiding over the royal court, and dancing in the backyard for most of the night, Larissa starts the morning around 5 a.m. by making some potions in the kids’ bedroom.

This doesn’t seem to faze Ash, for some reason.

“Oh hey, Larissa. Discover anything cool? My sister can’t figure out a potion for the life of her, heh heh.”

Seraphina, despite her calm-ish facial expression, is not so pleased.

“If you mess ANYTHING up, I’ll kick that stool out from under you.”

Turns out, Larissa also managed to prank the sink. That’s what you get for never using the sink in the kitchen, Justin!

I have a positive update on Blaise’s career––she’s finally managed to handle some emergencies! As Blaise has moved up the ranks in the firefighter career, the glitches seem to be smoothing out a little. She still misses the occasional fire, but she gets to actually use her fire extinguisher about once a day. Hooray!

However, I do decide at this point that there’s no use trying to have Blaise accomplish her lifetime wish of being a Firefighter Superhero. Even at the higher levels of her career, she just isn’t getting enough emergencies to save 30 sims before we move to the next town. Since Blaise has enough Lifetime Happiness points for the Change of Lifetime Wish reward, she picks a new one: to be a Renaissance Sim. She’s already well on her way to maxing handiness and athletic, and since she gardens on the side, it shouldn’t be too hard to get all three. (Of course, I say that now...)

I don’t even realize when the first actual fire happens. The emergency popup appears when I’m distracted at home, and Blaise drives her Big Friendly Firetruck (BFF) all the way across town by herself. It’s only a small house fire, and Marc Brandt isn’t even home to see the excitement, but Blaise gets a promotion for her five-minute efforts and a fancy fireman’s coat to hang on the wall. Praise for Blaise!

Now that both kids are in school, they spend most afternoons doing their homework together. Justin is also awake this particular afternoon, for some reason (he usually sleeps until dinnertime due to his overnight hacking).

Ash and Seraphina get along very well, as expected, but Seraphina doesn’t like it when her father chimes in with unsolicited homework advice.

See?

The other obligation that comes with Ash’s teenage years is spouse-hunting. As always, NRaas’s Story Progression tends to pair everybody up by the time they’re young adults, so the sooner we nail down a spouse, the better. There are only a couple of girls in town Ash’s age. This one is Corrie Sargeant.

Ash starts hanging out with Corrie one evening after his homework is done. Corrie is lovely and has excellent traits, and she seems to like Ash, from what I can tell…

…but it’s not even an hour after their impromptu “date” when Story Progression sends me a notification that Corrie is dating another boy in town.

And not just any boy. Marcelo Drudge. Remember him? The cutie who was swatting Seraphina with a pillow just last chapter? I already had him in mind for Seraphina!

After leaving her date with Ash, Corrie doesn’t even go home. I track her down and find her out at Marcelo’s place doing THIS in the middle of the night!

And this!

And…and THIS!

How are they not getting caught for breaking curfew?! They’re literally making out in the middle of a swamp at 2 a.m.! And there’s a cop car about ten feet away!

So…yeah. This provides a problem. I haven’t made any decisions yet, of course, but the two sims that I had in mind for future spouses are now actually dating each other. I mean, really? Sometimes this game just mocks me and my dreams.

Ash decides to distract himself from his romantic woes by picking up the guitar. Thanks to his love for banging away on the xylophone as a toddler, he starts at level 3 of the skill.

Even so, when Seraphina decides to come outside and support her brother, she stands VERY far away.

“You’re doing great, Ash! I’m just going to stand waaaaay over here until you get to at least level 5.”

Ash also starts getting to know the other girl his age, Adria Bayless. Actually, Adria is already best friends with him and Seraphina thanks to that hours-long game of tag at Ash’s birthday party. And she’s certainly an enthusiastic get-to-knower. But…she’s a Bayless. And she has the classic Bayless looks, as much as I feel bad saying it. (She also has some pretty undesirable traits––Unlucky, Loner, and Snob, if I remember correctly.)

Blaise continues to excel as a firefighter. The townspeople have come to trust her so much that they leave their toddlers in dangerous places, assuming that Blaise will come along and take care of everything. Even the toddler herself in this picture doesn’t look scared!

Blaise gets her first earthquake long before I expect it. I’ve never actually experience one in game, so the violent shuddering of the screen definitely freaks me out for a second.

Justin makes the vast majority of our income with his nightly hacking. He typically hacks all night, from 9 pm to 7 am, and earns upwards of $1,000 a night. Not bad for a guy who’s technically unemployed! Of course, you have to wonder where all this money is coming from, exactly. Is it coming from honest, ordinary sims’ bank accounts? Should I be feeling squirmy inside?

A few days of teenhood show that Ash really, really likes playing his guitar. It’s the first thing he does in the morning (outside, at the crack of dawn, in his boxer shorts) and the last thing he does at night. I think we’re going to have to give this guy some sort of music-related career in the future. Of course, he’s become a skilled painter as well. The most artistic guy ever has a colorful future ahead of him.

Seraphina bakes something every day in an attempt to get her cooking skill up. Somehow, even at level 2, she still manages to burn every single thing she makes.

After the first date with Corrie and the afternoon homework date with Adria, I’ve been leaving Ash alone for a little bit, hoping he’ll pop some romantic wishes for one girl or the other (or for someone else entirely). He doesn’t pop any. Then, about a week into Ash’s teen years, the first sign finally appears––Ash wants to go over to Corrie’s house after school.

Ash and Corrie spend the afternoon and evening talking. They’re already friends, but after becoming good friends, Ash feels brave enough to broach a touchy subject.

“Corrie, I know we’ve only hung out a couple of times, but I really like you. You’re funny, you’re smart, you’re outdoorsy, and…well…I like how excited you get at the smallest thing that makes you happy. It’s adorable. What I’m trying to say is, I really think we’d be great together.”

“Oh really.”

“Yeah. I heard you’ve been going out with Marcelo, but I was wondering if…”

“Whoa.”

“What?”

“It’s just that, in the last twenty seconds, you haven’t said anything about my looks.”

“Oh, there’s that too! Of course, I think you’re beautiful. In fact, you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever––“

“No, I mean, THANK YOU for not just wanting to date me because of my appearance. That’s all Marcelo ever talks about. Well, he doesn’t talk about much at all, really. All he ever wants to do is make out.”

“Oh.” Ash pauses. “Are you happy with him?”

“He makes me feel good, I guess, but…I don’t think we’re meant to be. He’s a sweet guy, but he’s a little immature right now. He doesn’t want a real relationship. You know, you’re right. I should break up with him before he gets too attached.”

Ash can’t help but smile. “Anyway, I’m pretty sure my little sister has a crush on Marcelo.”

“Hah, really? She has almost a dozen boys in her class to choose from, all of whom will be tripping over themselves to ask her to prom when she’s older.”

“I suppose so. Hey, speaking of prom…”

Ash reaches out and takes Corrie’s hand for the first time, then asks her if she’ll go to prom with him. She says yes.

Well! That’s settled, or nearly settled. Ash doesn’t get a chance to ask Corrie to go steady (or even kiss her) that night, but at least he has a date to the prom. Next time, we'll see how that plays out. Toodle-oo!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Chapter 7 – Corrielations

(Surprise, another chapter in the same day! I've actually played pretty far ahead, and I'm trying to catch up and clear out my screenshots backlog. I'm almost there. For now, yay, more story!)

Seraphina is beginning to take the town by storm with her chess skills. See, she strikes pure, unadulterated terror in the eyes of any opponent who dares to cross her threshold.

Poor kid. Five minutes into the match and he’s already seeing his life flash before his eyes.

Blaise seems to enjoy a good show, though.

“Come on, that's my girl! Squash him like a bug!!”

Yeah, Blaise is on a roll these days. I’ve never seen anyone be so enthusiastic about fighting fires. I guess you have to be in such a dangerous career. She really seems to be having the time of her life, though.

Prom day arrives. Corrie is still set to be Ash’s date, but there’s one little teeny tiny problem.

Around 3 a.m. on the same night that Ash visited Corrie’s place, I got a notification from Story Progression. Guess who’s back together? Yeah. Corrie and Marcelo. SP paired them up again, just hours after Ash got them to break up!

I guess this is why Ash and Corrie sit so far apart in the limo. Ash has a lot of questions. Was Corrie lying to him when she said she’d break up with Marcelo? Did Marcelo initiate getting back together, or did Corrie? Why didn’t Corrie just go to prom with Marcelo? Does she even have feelings for Ash? WHAT IS GOING ON?

They’re running into the school when Ash finally gets up the courage to say something.

“So, uh…why aren’t you here with Marcelo tonight, Corrie?”

“Because I said I’d go with you. Come on, we’re late.”

Marcelo catches up to them as they join the queue of teenagers trying to squeeze through the front door of the school.

“Corrie, Corrie, hey! Wait up! Oh, it’s YOU.” (I assume he’s glowering at Ash, and not just realizing he should’ve worn a tux.)

Marcelo: “Don’t worry, baby. I’m going to stay close to you the whooole night.”

Corrie just looks uncomfortable.

The rabbithole notifications begin once everyone finally makes their way inside. The very first thing that happens?

Corrie “looks deep into Ash’s eyes”…and asks him to go steady.

Um. What.

Sooo things go perfectly between Ash and Corrie at prom? I guess? I'm not sure how it's possible for Ash to usurp Marcelo like that. Ash and Corrie spend the whole night together, enjoying each other’s company. Corrie admits that she really likes Ash. Ash develops strong feelings for Corrie. Her relationship with Marcelo seems to have been simply erased from the board, in a sense. There was no sign of a breakup, no fight, nothing––in Corrie’s relationship panel (checked via MC), Marcelo’s name under “partner” is simply replaced by Ash’s. Ohkay then!

The rest of the family stays busy while Ash is at prom. Well, kind of.

Seraphina, who is exactly one day too young to go to prom herself, plays her own version of Cinderella and mops the kitchen floor (which is flooded thanks to the maid’s careless treatment of the sink).

Meanwhile, Blaise is putting out a large house fire. Wait, no, she’s in the living room of said house. Having a drink. While there’s still a sim trapped inside an overheated bedroom across the hall.

If sims could see through walls…this guy would be even more terrified than he already is.

I have to take control of Blaise myself to get her to STOP DRINKING and put out the fire. Honeybun, just because you’re fire chief doesn’t give you free rein to consume alcoholic beverages on the job!

“Hey thanks for nothing, lady. I’m going to file a report with your superior about this!”

Good thing Blaise IS her own superior. Yeesh.

Prom ends and Ash has secured himself the girlfriend he always wanted. Things haven’t entirely calmed down, though. He still pops a wish to egg Marcelo’s house the next morning.

And who’s the one to get in trouble? Marcelo. To his credit, he doesn’t do anything to Ash––doesn’t even yell at him for egging his house. He just listens to his mother and accepts her punishment, whatever it may be.

Apparently that's not enough justice for Ash. He autonomously starts insulting Marcelo, right in front of Mrs. Drudge.

"You MADE Corrie get back together with you! You must have! It was all a lie! She had feelings for me all along! Admit it!"

It’s only fair that Ash get picked up by a cop moments later. I’ve never had such a normally-well-behaved teenager act out so dramatically. For shame, Ash!

Blaise, at least, plays the mother part well and gives him a heavy scolding when he arrives home.

“Ash, you had no right to treat Marcelo like that! He’s just a young boy who can’t tell when his own girlfriend has feelings for someone else!”

“Wow, what a convicting speech. Should I go take a time out now or what?”

In lieu of a time out, Ash opts to do some chores around the house as penance––much to the annoyance of the maid. (Alas, our dear Anne T. Septik has aged up and moved on to a better life. Her futuristic shades and incessant booing will never be forgotten.)

Justin is the one to let Ash off the hook as a result of his hard work around the house. I don’t feel like that quite makes up for what he did to Marcelo…but hey.

Corrie comes over for the first time the next day and I take the liberty of giving her a mini-makeover. I’ll give her a more thorough one once she joins the family as a young adult (oops, spoilers!), but for now I just wanted to see more of her face. She’s stunning!

We end our chapter with an exciting moment for Blaise. She has recently reached the top of her career and is now fire chief, and the town throws a little celebration in her honor. Blaise arrives for the ceremony and promptly pulls out a book. I mean, that’s what I’d want to do in that situation.

Blaise warms up to the celebration with time, though. (Heh heh…warms up.) She definitely deserves the recognition. Congrats, Blaise!

And the balloons are red and yellow! Red and yellow make orange! Orange is the color of Blaise! How perfect is that?

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Chapter 8 – Love Rectangle

It’s about time for Seraphina to become a teenager. Her childhood years have passed by so quickly! She’s hardly done more than go to school, play chess, and bake desserts for her family. I make sure she stocks up the fridge with brownies, cookies, cupcakes, and pies to get us through the rest of our time in Twinbrook.

Here is a last look at Seraphina as a young girl. Enjoy the braids now, because there is no teen or young adult hairstyle anything like them (as far as I know).

Seraphina celebrates her teen birthday over a tiny chocolate cupcake that just so happened to be there.

And here she is! Our lovely Seraphina is lovelier still. And remember how I wished for more interesting and troublesome traits a couple chapters ago? Well, Seraphina is now Flirty, so I guess I got my wish. :-*

And not only is Seraphina a flirt…she’s also one of the only girls in her class. Boys from school are CONSTANTLY calling her, at all hours of the day and night, usually when she’s in her nightie because she SHOULD BE IN BED, SERAPHINA.

The first of her guy friends to come over after school is…well, you can probably guess. I swear I didn’t make this happen, okay?

It’s Marcelo Drudge. You know, sworn enemy of Ash and ex-boyfriend of Corrie? This won’t be complicated at all.

And what happens the moment he walks in the door? He gives Seraphina FLOWERS. Okay, slow down there, boy. I didn’t even mean for this to happen––I just wanted Seraphina to get to know him as a POTENTIAL romantic interest. (And to make her brother mad. Heh heh.) But these two start flirting like crazy and I can’t do anything to stop them.

And then…okay, what?!

Marcelo and Seraphina start making out like they’re old lovers within five minutes of Marcelo’s arrival. Since when have these two been kissing?! Have they been sneaking off and being naughty when I wasn’t looking? Seraphina, you’ve been a teenager for TWO DAYS. TWO.

Since I don’t really know what to make of this, I decide to go see what Ash is up to. He’s currently on his first real date with Corrie (aside from prom). They meet downtown at the art museum to try and score some private time in the quiet galleries.

As it turns out, though, Corrie isn’t in the mood.

“Corrie, come sit next to me. I’ll put my arm around you…”

“Uh, no thanks, I’m good.”

And a few moments later…

“Corrie, what’s going on? Why won’t you kiss me?”

“I just don’t really feel like doing anything right now, okay? This feels…weird.”

“What’s the matter? Did I do something wrong?”

*sniff* “It’s Marcelo. I mean, I want to be with you, Ash, I really do, but––I feel guilty about breaking up with Marcelo. We’ve been friends since we were toddlers, and—and apparently his house got egged the other night after some jerk heard he got dumped. And it was all because of me!”

Choosing to ignore this troubling anecdote, Ash presses on with the comforting.

“Corrie, I’m sure Marcelo is doing just fine. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Seraphina talking to him on the phone at like three in the morning a couple of times. He’s got at least one girl paying attention to him.”

“Oh really? Do you think they’ll get together?”

“God, I hope not. Can you imagine?”

And with that half-encouraging, half-disturbing thought, Ash and Corrie share their first on-screen kiss and enjoy a romantic rest of the afternoon. Phew!

Since Seraphina is already at level 7 of the logic skill and I want to save some skill thrills for when she’s an adult, I shift her focus to cooking. Justin teaches her some of his tricks and methods, and with all those hours spent baking cupcakes as a child, Seraphina learns the art of mac and cheese like the true Kindle she is.

Buuuut I can’t resist letting her work on some potions now and then. She keeps popping wishes to discover various potions. And finally, a few days into her teenhood, she finally, finally discovers her first one—a ghost potion. As you can imagine, she’s pretty psyched.

Blaise is doing well, too. I had no idea that firefighters can upgrade their own personal fire extinguishers.

Ash and Seraphina still love doing their homework together. Actually, I’m now convinced they hate it. Just look at the faces they make as they’re studying together.

Seraphina: “Man, I HATE reading Shakespeare! What’s the point of writing everything in such garbled, nonsensical English when nobody can comprehend you anyway? Wouldn’t you want your public audience to be able to understand what’s going on?!”
Ash: “You’re a logician, sis. Theatre isn’t really about logic. It’s about telling stories, and portraying different aspects of the human condition, and inviting the audience to see the world differently, and—“

Seraphina: “See, that’s exactly my point! If you’re trying to tell a story so people can understand it, there’s no reason to get all artsy-fartsy and bury your message under a thousand metaphors!”
Ash: “Some people LIKE looking for messages under a thousand metaphors.”

Seraphina: “Ugh! Why do I even bother talking to you? You're an artist. You have no idea how to formulate an argument.”
Ash: “No, apparently not. Now shut up. I’m trying to figure out the ratio of simoleons Gunther Goth spent on garlic versus watermelons.”

Ash: “Hey, where are YOU going?”
Seraphina: “Nowhere. Away from you.”

These two don’t actually argue at all, except when they’re doing homework, and I think those arguments are based solely on their shared frustration with the drudgery of schoolwork. Still...they're complete opposites. It's fun to make them spar. :)

Speaking of drudgery…Seraphina isn’t actually going "nowhere". She’s going out to meet a certain boy as dusk descends on Twinbrook.

Can you guess who?

Yep, once again, Seraphina takes control and makes it very clear where her affections lie. (Well, she’s a flirt, so I’m hesitant to believe she truly has her heart set on one guy…but she HAS spent a lot of time with him autonomously.) I don’t have to do a thing. Marcelo and Seraphina just go at it as soon as they lay eyes on each other. Holding hands, embracing, cooing at each other, and of course kissing.

Well…sometimes kissing.

“Seraphina, what are you doing?!”

“Um…trying to kiss you?”

“Stop being so weird! Just because you’re popping wishes to make out with me doesn’t mean I have to comply!”

“Well if you don’t want to kiss me, then why’d you ask me on a date, nimrod? I’m leaving!”

And Seraphina takes off for home.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think that Marcelo and Corrie still had feelings for each other, based on their hesitation in their new (not necessarily official) relationships with their respective Kindles. Honestly, though, I'm pretty much baffled. Do you think we can justifiably call this a love rectangle? I think we can.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 09:42:26 PM »
Chapter 9 –  Cheaters

Ash is having a mood swing, and he wishes to copy someone else’s homework. When Seraphina abandons her half-finished homework on the table and gets up to take a bath (relatable), Ash snatches up the opportunity and sits down behind the dining room table to copy his sister’s answers.

Of course, Seraphina is only halfway up the stairs when he does this, so she catches him immediately.

Ash: "Uh-oh."

Seraphina: “You. Me. Garden. Right now.”

Ash: “Why do we have to go out to the vegetable garden just to talk?”

Seraphina: “Don’t ask questions!”

Seraphina drags her big brother allllll the way out to the tomato patch to have a few words with him.

“You seriously tried to cheat on your homework by copying MINE?? We aren’t even in the same class! I thought you were smart, loser!”

“If you’re such a genius, why’d you leave your homework on the table where anyone could steal it??”

“Because I didn't think my own big brother would take it! Jeez, what happened to you being Family Oriented?”

“That just means I want to have kids, idiot.”

“Yeah, well, I hope your kids turn out to be actual moral citizens, dumbface.”

And yet, after all that, they still do the rest of their homework together.

“I hate math. Math is stupid.”

“Yeah, well, it’s only as stupid as the person doing it.”

Other than his homework struggles and delinquent status (he also gets put in detention for "flapping his mouth" during class), Ash is doing very well with his guitar and painting skills. He still enjoys playing guitar outside in his pajamas, for some reason. And apparently leaving his dirty laundry in the, uh, dirt.

"Smelly clothes, smeeelly clooothes...why aren't I washing you...?"

Seraphina meets Marcelo out at Hollowlog Springs for yet another clandestine, late-night date. She keeps popping wishes to go out with him, and she hasn’t yet expressed interest in any of her other classmates. (Also, many of her male classmates have girlfriends already, thanks to Story Progression.)

The date, once again, is a mixed bag. Marcelo doesn’t always respond well when Seraphina flirts with him––she'll go to take his hand, and he’ll act creeped out and disinterested.

But then, moments later, Marcelo will kiss Seraphina out of the blue (thanks Inappropriate trait), and from there, he will happily make out with her as much as she wants. (Or in this case, he'll make out with her nose.)

…Until he doesn’t want to anymore.

“Marcelo, come on! You brought me to this quiet location so we could have time to ourselves!”

“Yes, so my girlfriend doesn’t find out I’m talking to another girl.”

“Wait, WHAT?”

“It’s not serious, baby. I like you better! I’m mostly just going out with her because she lets me copy her homework.”

“WHAT IS IT WITH GUYS AND COPYING HOMEWORK?”

Basically, Marcelo is a player. He’s playing Willow Gwydd, his current girlfriend, and he’s playing Seraphina, although at least he tries to be open about it. And Seraphina likes him so much! Or maybe she just likes him for his willingness to kiss her with no strings attached. Who knows.

As the night is winding down, Seraphina manages to convince Marcelo to break up with Willow. The moment he agrees, sirens sound in the distance. It’s too late to ask Marcelo to go steady.

“Well, I’m glad you’re actually single now. Gotta go, bye!”

A cop arrives at the edge of the lot to escort Seraphina home. And once again, I’m left trying to figure out who to root for in this scenario, and who to feel sorry for. I kind of just feel sorry for everyone. I’ve never had such drama-packed teen relationships in this game before!

While Seraphina is out in the woods being an at-risk teenager, Blaise is at home experiencing the classic bathroom birthday.

“Yay, I’m about to lose all appearance of youth and vibrancy!”

She stops looking so optimistic when the sparkles hit.

But once she completes her transformation, she goes back to being her happy-go-lucky self. Awww, she loves her wrinkles!

After she ages up, I have Blaise do something I’ve been wanting to have her do for a long time—rekindle her friendship with Alma Drill, her roommate when the game started. Alma is very old now, older than Blaise. I send the two of them out on a dinner date to catch up and relive old times.

And loooook! They’re both Slobs! They eat their dinners with mirror-image disgustingness, dropping food out of their mouths and flinging crumbs in every direction. It’s just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

While Blaise and Alma are enjoying dinner, I get distracted by Seraphina’s shenanigans. When I go back to check on the elder gals, I find Blaise alone at the table. And a notification pops up in the corner of my screen: that Alma Drill has passed away. :( She died right here at the bistro, and I missed the whole thing!

Blaise obviously didn’t miss it, though. It’s not obvious at first—she just buries herself in a random book from her inventory, probably trying not to cry—but she apparently looks distraught to her coworker, the freshly-eldered Sofia Carlton-Tucker. Remember her? The pouty lady who gave Blaise hell after she came back from maternity leave? Perhaps she’s not so heartless after all. She sits with Blaise in a sort of awkward, comforting silence, as if to fill the void in her own frizzy-haired, pink-shaded way.

Eventually, the two coworkers get to talking, and Blaise goes to cry on Sofia’s shoulder. Sofia...doesn’t seem quite comfortable with that.

“I know you’ve just suffered a loss, sweetie, but we’re not THAT close. Last time we talked I threatened to beat you up, remember?”

Well, you can’t have everything, especially not at the start of a friendship. Maybe this will turn into just that for Blaise—a friendship. That’s all we can hope for at this point.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
Chapter 10 – Flirty & Fighty

Seraphina is worn out. She’s had a busy first week as a teenager—working her way up to an A in school, practicing chess, and, of course, sneaking out almost every night to get steamy with her romantic interest, the wily and indecisive Marcelo Drudge.

But one afternoon, a new piece joins the chess board. Joey Knack-Racket comes home with Ash after school. You can imagine what happens when he meets Ash’s little sister for the first time.

Yup. Attraction at first sight, and Seraphina immediately starts to flirt with him. I don’t know if Joey has the Inappropriate trait, but it would seem so, because he accepts Seraphina’s flirts way faster than I expect him to. He even agrees to kiss her while they’re still acquaintances. Within about ten minutes they’re Romantic Interests, and Seraphina gets a Naughty reputation. Bad girl!

Things are a bit weird right off the bat, though. In between her autonomous flirts, Seraphina gets cold feet and decides she doesn’t want to get too close to Joey anymore.

Seraphina’s family members have a weird reaction to Joey, too. For some reason, both Justin and Ash come up and stand waiting for Seraphina and Joey to finish their makeout with “Ask Guest to Behave” in their action queues.

Is it because he’s flirting with Seraphina? Is it because he was just playing games on the family computer without asking? I have no idea.

Blaise, though…oh, Blaise. Adorable, oblivious Blaise arrives home and is just happy to see her daughter in the arms of a boy.

“Hi, honey! Who’s this cutie you’ve brought home today?”

I’m definitely open to more options for Seraphina at this point, but Joey isn’t making things any easier (for Seraphina OR for me). He doesn’t jump out at me as a better option than Marcelo, except for the fact that he’s actually, legitimately single. And Seraphina’s only Joey-related wish is to pillow fight with him. (Although, as we learned from Marcelo, a pillow fight can be the first step in some of the most passionate romances.) I really wish the school would throw another prom right about now!

Really, both boys are great options for Seraphina. They’re both pretty good-looking, both have interesting townie genes, both have a great set of traits with one bonus “fun” trait (Joey is Insane, Marcelo is Inappropriate). And both are clearly attracted to Seraphina. Thankfully, there’s still about a week left before Seraphina ages up to young adult. I just hope something definite happens before then!

The very next morning, Seraphina wakes up with a mood swing. Don’t believe me? Allow Seraphina to prove it to you with her face.

One of her first wishes is to beat someone up. And because I’m a great watcher who takes good care of her sims, I indulge her. I do all the work, too––I track down Seraphina’s enemy-by-default, Willow Bull-Gwydd, discover that she’s just leaving her house, and queue up the “Fight!” action for Seraphina so Willow has no choice but to wait for her.

Seraphina arrives on the lot and runs into Willow’s dad, Lang.

“I am here to turn your daughter into dust! FEAR ME!”

What a lovely sight to see walking up your boardwalk on a Saturday morning, eh?

It goes down. And it goes down badly. Seraphina gets slaughtered by Willow, whom I really can’t see as the guilty party here. Seraphina’s the one who went on secret dates with Willow’s boyfriend, then convinced said boyfriend to break up with Willow. If I were Willow, I think I’d want to beat Seraphina up too.

Dust rises in a cloud, sims fly through the air, fists thrust into nothingness…

…stockinged calves get tangled up in fence posts…

…and our precocious, volatile Flirt gets her butt kicked, quite literally.

As the fight finishes, the funniest notification pops up––Seraphina learns that she and Willow are both Geniuses! But when Seraphina goes to say something about it (“Hey, we have a common trait!”) Willow absolutely SHUTS HER DOWN.

“Uh-uh. Don’t even think about it. We are NOT friends, and we have NOTHING IN COMMON.”

“Now, run along home. Go on, shoo!”

Defeated, Seraphina has no choice but to obey. But she’s sure to stop and make funny faces at Lang before she leaves the lot.

Meanwhile, Ash and Corrie are out at the Twinbrook Community Gardens, having the most idyllic and adorable date ever.

First they cuddle on a bench near some flowers. And make out on said bench near some flowers.

Then Ash sernades Corrie among some other flowers.

Corrie: “Ohhh yeah, I can’t believe I get to marry this hottie someday!”

When she gets home, Seraphina immediately goes over to the computer and sets a booby trap. This girl is on a heck of a naughty streak! She’s interrupted, though, by her father coming over to scold her.

“I just got a call from Lang. He said you went over to his house and FOUGHT with his DAUGHTER. Are you out of your mind?! What reason could there possibly be for you to beat up a girl you hardly know?!”

“Uh…I stole her boyfriend?”

“WHAT?!?”

Not surprisingly, Justin puts Seraphina in a time out. And while she’s out there…Seraphina rolls a wish I never, ever would have expected.

She wishes to LEARN WILLOW’S SIGN.

I guess that’s a Flirty sim for you.

Next time, we'll hopefully get closer to resolving this romantic drama.

And we'll probably see more of Blaise in her flaming granny panties.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
Chapter 11 – Dinner vs. Brunch

It’s time to figure out this Joey-Marcelo nonsense once and for all. I’m sick of Seraphina waffling between the two of them, and I’m sick of ME waffling even more than her. So what are we gonna do? We’re gonna host each boy for a meal with the family and see how things go. In other words, each boy is going to meet the parents in an official capacity. And somehow (I have convinced myself), this is going to make Seraphina’s choice clearer. Okay? Okay.

Joey is the first candidate and arrives right on time for dinner that Saturday night. There’s a lot of tension in the household already—Justin and Seraphina had that little spat over Seraphina’s fight with Willow earlier in the day, and Seraphina and Ash haven’t been getting along either since the whole cheating-on-homework thing. You get the sense, as everyone noms their sushi, that nobody’s really talking, and it’s not because the food is delicious.

As soon as she’s done eating, Seraphina gets up. And Justin does too. He gives her a look, like, "We need to talk." Uh-oh. Are they about to have another argument?

Seraphina and Justin go out to the ONLY PLACE ON THE LOT WHERE IT’S POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION, APPARENTLY (the vegetable garden).

Seraphina opens with a joke, because logic? I guess?

“So, that sushi was a little rough, huh?”

(I’m not kidding. She literally takes her dad out into the backyard so she can “joke about Justin’s cooking”.)

As expected, Justin is not having it.

“I didn’t come out here to be mocked by my own daughter, Seraphina. I came out here to tell you that I don’t like this boy. If you’re getting into fights with other girls over him, then I don’t want you having anything to do with him!”

“But Dad, I got into that fight over Marcelo, not Joey!”

“…Well then. I guess I don’t like ANY boys you’ve been seeing. Perhaps it’d be best if you took some time off from dating, hmm?”

Seraphina is about to argue back, but she’s saved by the bell, as it were. It’s Justin’s elder birthday!

“Yes, Dad, get old! Forget about this whole conversation! Please!”

A freshly-eldered Justin heads back inside (having indeed completely forgotten that he was just arguing with his daughter) and immediately starts giggling with Joey. He spends the rest of the night chatting Joey up while Seraphina watches with a slightly discomforted look on her face. (Or maybe that’s just the angle of her neck. Like, girl, you okay?)

Finally, Seraphina manages to pull Joey away from her dad, and the two teens finish out the evening with a little bit of stargazing. I can’t really tell how Joey feels about the hand-holding. At least Seraphina is trying to appear serene.

Ash apparently decides he’s had enough of his family’s drama for one day and conks out in the vegetable garden.

The next morning, it’s time for brunch with Marcelo. Blaise wakes up ravenous, apparently, and immediately ruins her appetite by gobbling up the remnants of last night’s sushi. Um, gross?

Things start off badly. Before Marcelo even makes it through the door, Ash somehow senses that his enemy has arrived and comes out to yell at him and call him a loser.

I love how the target sim’s response is always to make a goofy face and wave their arms around. Real intimidating, Marcelo!

This confrontation causes Seraphina to pop a wish to insult her own brother, something I never expected from such a close set of siblings. They actually just became BFFs moments before Marcelo arrived. And yet, boy trouble is enough for Seraphina to let loose on her brother anyway.

“I LIKE him, Ash! Why can’t you get that into your thick head?! Could you stop being a jerk for, like, one minute? I’m trying to get this guy to like me, not hate me and everyone I’m related to!”

“But he’s a jerk, Seraphina! He broke Corrie’s heart!”

“Ash, YOU’re the one who asked CORRIE to break up with HIM! He’s the one who should hate you, but he’s been nothing but civil!”

“He’s been snubbing me through all of high school.”

“Yeah, and I can’t imagine why.”

Meanwhile, Marcelo is getting to know Seraphina’s mother. More specifically, he’s comforting her in her grief over the death of Alma Drill.

*sniff* “We used to be so close, and then I just stopped hanging out with her! And then she went and DIED while we were at DINNER! I just...it's all my fault!”

“Mrs. Kindle, I can’t imagine what you’ve been through, and I am sorry. But could you please stop hugging me now? I just met you five minutes ago and I’m feeling rather uncomfortable.”

Ash apparently isn’t done expressing his hatred for Marcelo. He pops a wish to beat him up, then autonomously interrupts the teary bonding session to, once again, tell Marcelo he’s a loser.

Man, these Kindles just are not good at winning fights. Marcelo defeats Ash soundly. Blaise watches her son getting clobbered with a serene look of interest on her face. She’s the most oblivious sim I’ve ever played and I love it.

“Ahh, what a valiant son I have. He’s growing up to be so brave and determined!”

“Yes, beautiful acrobatics, my dear! Well done!”

And then, when Ash loses the fight, Blaise has the audacity to YELL at him for losing.

“What do you MEAN you lost?! Were you not soaring through the air in a flight of victory mere seconds ago?! How DARE you call yourself a Kindle!”

See, here’s the thing with Marcelo. His history with Ash is quite problematic––the two boys are, obviously, enemies, and if they become family, well…that's going to make things messy. Then there’s the romantic history between Marcelo and Corrie. I’m not sure if the two of them are enemies now, or just distant acquaintances. Heck, Marcelo might still be attracted to Corrie after all this time, for all we know. Basically, we’ve got quite a mess going on here, and Marcelo is at the center of the madness. Seraphina likes him; Ash hates him; Corrie broke up with him; Blaise adores him. I don’t know, man.

Marcelo finally takes his leave after an eventful day. It’s been a rough day for everyone, I think––especially Seraphina. One of her last wishes popped before bedtime is to talk to her mother. She goes out to find Blaise as she’s finishing up a workout in the backyard and decides to (a) apologize for her week of bad behavior, and (b) ask for advice about her romantic woes.

“Mom, I just don’t know who to pick! I like both of them, and they both like me, but everyone in the family seems to have a different opinion about them, and I can’t even decide myself. In the morning I wake up and I like Joey better; then by the afternoon I’m back to Marcelo. It’s awful! How do I choose?”

Blaise is a generous mother. She forgives her daughter, and also gives her some advice.

“Well, Seraphina, I don’t know very much about romance, since my husband was chosen for me by a higher entity and all I had to do was tell him I was a firefighter in order for him to love me. But I CAN tell you that while what your family thinks is important, it’s most important what YOU think. Who do you enjoy talking to the most? Who gives you butterflies? Who do you want to run to when you’ve had a bad day? Who does your heart keep going back to, after everything else fades away?”

An oddly poignant response from the usually-oblivious Blaise. However cliché it may be, her advice resonates with Seraphina, who finds herself thinking about one person and one person only.

“I think I know who I want, Mom! Thank you!”

“Very good, darling. Now, be the doll that you are and take out the trash, hmm?”

Seraphina happily takes out the trash, believing wholeheartedly that tomorrow will be a new day with bright new prospects.

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:11:20 AM »
I love that someone else is doing a Town Jump. They are so much fun. Can't wait to see who the teens end up with. Great first town and family! They start off all calm and obedient and then your hopes and dreams go up in flames! LOL Well, my Founders were never as obedient as yours: Claire Ursine and Jared Frio, Ms. Hot-head Klepto and Mr. Mean-Spirited Inappropriate himself!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »
I love that someone else is doing a Town Jump. They are so much fun. Can't wait to see who the teens end up with. Great first town and family! They start off all calm and obedient and then your hopes and dreams go up in flames! LOL Well, my Founders were never as obedient as yours: Claire Ursine and Jared Frio, Ms. Hot-head Klepto and Mr. Mean-Spirited Inappropriate himself!

Thanks deedee! I am having lots of fun with it so far. I like the fact that there aren't a lot of rules, so things can just fly out of control without consequence. :) I'll definitely read your RTJ! It sounds like a wild ride.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Chapter 12 – Finally, Some Maturity

I think Ash is ready to age up to a young adult. He’s shirtless in his bedroom, painting portraits of beautiful dark-haired women. Slow down there, cowboy. You'll have your very own beautiful dark-haired woman soon enough. Just hang tight for about twelve more hours.

Ash’s birthday starts innocently enough, with Blaise gardening in her flame-covered underwear. (I don’t know why I felt the need to take this screenshot, but it’s here in my screenshots folder, and I feel I must include it.)

That evening, we throw the first big party in…ever? Have we ever thrown an actual party at this house aside from Ash’s slumber party? I don’t think so. I guess it’s about time.

(This house is a nightmare for large groups of people. Ugh. I am so ready to move this family to a fresh house with actual space in it.)

Some of the first guests to arrive are Corrie and Marcelo, who pass each other in the kitchen, exchange an awkward glance, and continue on their way without speaking. Hmmm.

Ahh, there we go! Corrie finds Ash and looks much more at home in his arms.

The party mostly consists of people crowding into the dining room and not being able to talk to each other. Amy Bull-Gwydd, who has managed to keep her extravagant outfit and hair through the last couple of decades, remains the fixed center of the traffic jam.

Seraphina tries to flirt with the first boy she sees (which happens to be Joey), but Amy Bull-Gwydd’s shrimp cocktail is apparently blocking her path.

For some reason, many of the guests at this party literally line up to talk to the birthday boy. Ash is friendly and obliging to all of them. I think he’s finally outgrowing his dramatic teenage years. Hurrah!

As evening descends, Ash goes out to the backyard to prepare for the big event. Good old Blaise is already out there, breaking it down on the dance floor.

The crowd gathers and goes nuts cheering for Ash. (Notice both Corrie and Marcelo laughing at him instead of cheering. Oh right…they’re both Inappropriate.)

Amy still insists on being the center of attention, as much as she can be. Instead of cheering, she faces away from the birthday boy and stares stoically into Justin’s eyes.

“Sir, please make your son extinguish his candles. I have queued actions to dance with several partygoers and I only have two hours remaining in which to complete them.”

After an abnormally long buildup (or so it seems to me), Ash finally becomes a man.

And loses most of his hair. Oof, we’ll have to change that.

The cake-eating commences. And who does Justin choose to eat with? Joey Knack-Racket, who seems to be making a very passionate argument over here.

“So you see, Mr. Kindle, I am ideally suited to be your daughter’s mate. We are absolutely compatible in every way. Except for our star signs, but that is irrelevant.”

“Oh, is it now?”

Hey, look! Someone else is having a birthday too!

Most of the guests are still devouring their first slice of cake, so it’s mostly just Ash cheering for his girlfriend.

“Yay Corrie! Grow up so I can kiss you again! Yeah!”

Young adulthood strikes Corrie and she, too, loses most of her hair. *sigh*

Before I have a chance to fix anyone’s hairdos, though…I’m forced to run inside the house, where Blaise’s “playing with fire” action has set the living room rug alight.

And is Blaise Kindle, the top-ranked firefighter in Twinbrook, doing anything about it?

Nope.

At least, not on her own. With a little help from me, she finally gets around to remembering that fire is bad. She puts it out before we lose any furniture.

And with that settled, I’m finally free to give our newly-minted young adults the makeovers they deserve.

Corrie joins the family and reveals her full set of traits to include Loves the Outdoors, Excitable, Inappropriate, Hopeless Romantic, and Great Kisser. She likes hip hop music, fruit parfaits, and the color spiceberry, and her LTW is to become Leader of the Free World.

Ash gets his old hair back and becomes…Dramatic. I laughed out loud when he rolled that trait. After such eventful teenage years, how could he NOT be? His other traits, you may remember, are Artistic, Virtuoso, Family-Oriented, and Excitable. He also picks up the Master of the Arts Lifetime Wish, allowing him to do nothing but paint and play guitar for the rest of his days.

At last, we’re almost out of these fracas-filled teen years! Next up is Seraphina, who has supposedly chosen her future spouse, even if she hasn’t informed ME yet. And soon after that, we’ll be heading to the next town. See ya then!

anything