Author Topic: Honey Money  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Honey Money
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2019, 12:38:52 AM »
Congrats on the win, Katie and thanks for sharing strategies Katie, Deveroux, Techiechick and Mismick.

So, how do you use the vendor tables and do the yard sales?

I bought something that said it was a vendor table in its description and put it on my lot. I baked/cooked a honey cake and put it on it and didn't know what to do from there.  ::)  :-[  :o I clicked on the table and on the cake, but couldn't see any options to sell things or to set prices or a mark up and I didn't know if I had to leave it or what. I did it all on my home lot, so maybe that's what the issue was.

*Shrugs*

With regards to the bee gifts, there were also some things they brought to me that I had to send to the science council or whatever it was called. Wasn't sure if the fact that the things came back from the science council counted as products of the bees or not so played it safe and didn't sell them. I also received a couple of rewards for completing a couple of the collections and I made sure I didn't sell them either. Things I dug up/found/received through the mail I put on the floor of my house, things the bees brought me or made for me, I kept in my inventory and sold them.

Offline Nikitachi

• Townie
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2019, 12:57:32 AM »
I started with 9 bee hives and became friends with them all on the first day. I collected the honey whenever it was full, which was usually enough to get about 15 honey cakes. Then, I sold the honey cakes on the vendor table on my lot at a 300% markup. It sometimes took 3-4 yard sales to sell them all. By the time the cakes were all made and sold, it was time to collect the honey again. It was really just a cycle of collect, cook, sell.

The only strategy tip I can think to add is that cooked items are something that are 'crafted,' so the marketable trait will up to triple the value of the honey cakes. With this multiplier and the 300% markup, this meant that most of my cakes were selling for more than 2000, with some more than 3000. The only times I sent for swarm gifts was the first day, when I was trying to get aspiration points through the curator branch, and the last day when I didn't have enough time left to cook or sell the honey cakes.

Wow, I did exactly the same with the only exception that I didn't use vendor tables... because guess what, I was stupid enough not even to bother checking how much money they bring. For some reason, I just imagined in my head that those are just another way of presenting the goods and don't have any difference. I. Didn't. Even. Check. As a result, my cakes had been selling for 100% markup (which is a maximum in a usual store) and thus, my score is about 1/3 of yours. Speechless.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mismck

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »
So, how do you use the vendor tables and do the yard sales?

There are two vendor tables: the Come and Get it Street Store Table and the Selvadoradian Craft Sales Table. When you drag something from your inventory to the table, it is put in the table’s inventory - similar mechanics of  the refrigerators. You can click on the table and there is an option to view the inventory - this is how you can move items between the table’s inventory and your inventory.

When there are items in the table’s inventory, click on the table and choose the stock table option. Then click the table and choose the tend table option. Then click the table and choose the start yard sale option. I held all yard sales on my home lot.

Hope that helps :)

I also played it safe with anything that could be sent away - I just didn't send anything away.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
Thanks Mismck, well I know what my issue was then ... I saw 'retail counter' thought 'retail' that means selling things, and bought one of them, after rejecting things called pedestals, so I wasn't even looking in the right place. :)

Yes, that helps a lot.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »

I bought 11 bee boxes since that was the number I could go around doing swarm rounds, and I got them all up to the friendship point where I could get swarms. Then they were good for the rest of the challenge and I didn't have to give them mite treatments or bond again. I did a grind for the whole challenge of Send Swarm, Collect Swarm, Send Swarm, Collect Swarm. I did Good Timers and ignored my non-essential needs.

Did you find that the value of the honey was affected at all by mite infestations or by your level of friendship with the bees? Like, once you were friends with them, did the value increase at all by raising your relationship level higher?

I spent a lot of time on Bonding interactions because I was assuming that if the bees were enraged, the value of the honey would go down.

Online Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
@Deveroux I relied on swarm gifts too, but had a lot more trouble keeping my bees in a good mood and never thought of the aspiration. Obviously it made a difference! :P
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / DecaDynasty

Online MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »

I bought 11 bee boxes since that was the number I could go around doing swarm rounds, and I got them all up to the friendship point where I could get swarms. Then they were good for the rest of the challenge and I didn't have to give them mite treatments or bond again. I did a grind for the whole challenge of Send Swarm, Collect Swarm, Send Swarm, Collect Swarm. I did Good Timers and ignored my non-essential needs.

Did you find that the value of the honey was affected at all by mite infestations or by your level of friendship with the bees? Like, once you were friends with them, did the value increase at all by raising your relationship level higher?

I spent a lot of time on Bonding interactions because I was assuming that if the bees were enraged, the value of the honey would go down.

The value of the honey does go down when bees are enraged. It's highest when they're calm, medium when irritated. My Sim was at the highest level of friendship, but the bees still got enraged, maybe because he was always sending their swarms to get gifts.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
I spent a lot of time testing both the vendor tables and the retail store. I am not sure why, but I wasn't selling a lot on the vendor tables, and when I made honey cakes, they just went bad. In fact, one day I had no sales at all. So, in my real file, I went with the retail store and she lived on the retail lot. I did have a club going constantly to get the rally troops, and had 100% markup from the start. I also bought the marketable trait. I never hired any retail help. I saved up for the curious shopper perk first which helped with sales and then got the faster check-outs. I had celebrities on my lot and could have sworn that some of the paparazzi stole some of the items in my store. My sim had the Friend of the World Aspiration - I figured that being friendly would help sales. Traits were Loves Outdoors, Geek, and Dance machine. Dance machine is a good one because you can take disco naps, which are really fast and help with energy. Her fun was always red. She had maxed cooking skill and some of the honey cakes were impeccable. Towards the last days, the honey cakes were selling all the time. If that had happened at the beginning, I would have stayed with honey cakes and made a lot of simoleons. She had a total of 6 bee boxes. I found that was manageable to bond with bees, collect swarm, send swarm, etc. and still be able to deal with the customers. With the vendor's table, you could not do anything else but stay at the table, so you couldn't tend your bees when you were having your yard sale. Great strategy everyone!

Offline Deveroux

• Nooboo
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »
Honey value going down when they were mad was part of the reason I didn't collect honey at all. They hated me, but the swarm gift values were unaffected so I ignored their complaints. They stung me a lot for good measure. ;D

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »
I hadn't felt much like posting on the forums lately, real life getting me down and all that but things are better now so I thought it was about time I posted my strategy.

When the Challenge Team ruled we were allowed to create a Spellcaster, that's exactly what I did, after all I'm never one to turn down a chance to play with Occults in Tournament Challenges. ;D Honey Bee spent the first two days in the Magic Realm until she got the Copypasto spell. She headed back home to bond with her bees while waiting on recipe cooldowns from the Sages, she also practiced magic to grind experience to get to a high enough level to learn the spell. (I picked perks to speed that up). Back home she drank a Perk Perging potion and repicked her perks, mostly Disharge, Practiced Practicality, Hexproof and a bunch of ones that reduced the magical cost needed for casting spells.

By this time her bees were ready so she collected honey, baked a honey cake and copied it over and over, she got sent a familiar in the mail so I wasn't worried about her dying from overcharge and I had the Discharge perk for that reason.

She bought the Marketable trait and built a tiny little retail store, purchased advertising, placed signs, hired an employee and opened shop. Everything was at 100% mark up, Scrubaroo took care of the cleaning, Plentiful needs potions took care of her needs and she worked on customers to gain perk points, I had her be confident from potions most of the time so she could Close The Deal when a customers bar was high. Perks gained were Serious shopper, Sure sale, Faster checkouts (Large), Slick salesman, Curious shopper and Mega manager in that order. Her employee was answering questions when quiet, ringing up customers when busy and was praised and sent home early to keep him happy, he also got promoted to the max level eventually.

I'm kicking myself, I went with a Vendor style in my practice run but decided to switch to a Retail Store in my scoring file, that was dumb, retail stores bring in far more customers so I thought that would make up for selling cakes at a lower price than you could at a Vendor Table. Turns out I was mistaken and I would have made more money and gotten a better score with Vendor Tables. *Sigh* Well I had zero retail experience whatsoever when jumping into this challenge so live and learn I guess.

Hey look, I've hit 666 posts, everybody better watch out! Darn, probably should have saved this post for Halloween but on well. :P

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
Hi Rainbow Dash - Sorry life is getting you down. Hope you cheer up soon :)

anything