Author Topic: Any suggestions for an off the grid house?  (Read 5503 times)

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
Any suggestions for an off the grid house?
« on: August 26, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »
For ages I have played my sims in a certain way. They always move to a different city at the end of a season. I typically go Willow Creek > Oasis Springs >Windenburg > Brindleton Bay > Newcrest. I haven't included some of the newer cities out of habit. But the current game I am playing made me think out of the box. The house I usually move to is occupied. The one place that is suitable is the off the grid lot in Sulani (I need space to plant a garden and somewhere the ground won't freeze).

I started building a basic house. Some stuff won't be hard because I'm not big on lighting.I used an outdoor shower and the trashcan grill. But the only toilet available is the public style bathroom.and I'm kind of at a loss for how to store cooked food.

My guy is a scientist, so he has a lot of options. But it has me wondering if anyone has really embraced this option (might be a good challenge). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Any suggestions for an off the grid house?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
I haven't played with an Off The Grid Lot Trait yet but there are a few 'tricks' you can do to keep food without a fridge. One is to keep the food (family, party or single plate) in the household inventory. Which, admittedly can be a pain as you have to go in and out of build mode each time your sim wants to eat.
You can also drag the food to one of the street sale tables such as the 'Selvadorian Craft Sales Table' from Jungle Adventure or the 'Come and Get It Street Store' from City Living.
Coolers from Outdoor Retreat while don't store sim cooked food they will provide Quick Meals.
Lighting shouldn't be an issue depending on the packs you have as there are quite a large range of lamps and floor lamps that now work with the Off The Grid trait
And weirdly the 'Under the Sea Clawfoot Tub with Shower' tub works with the trait, which is a base game item. Also a lot of the normal indoor toilets also work (e.g.The Ambassador (BG), Old Fashioned High Tank Toilet (Vampire dlc) and the , Old Time Antique Toilet(BG)). Same with hand basins and sinks, depending on the packs you have there are more options but there are a few Base Game options too.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline llamazing

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
I haven't played Off the Grid yet, but really want to try it out. Maybe once it's less broken, right now there's a lot of issues. For example, I think some candles still don't work off-the-grid even though they don't use electricity.

This said, I think the old-style fridge (I can't remember the name) works off the grid. It's not in the description but apparently it works anyway! If true, that would be useful. I've also read before you can technically use any fridges. It doesn't sound as fun, but if that's true, I'd probably keep one around for gameplay reasons until they give us more options.

Offline Savuti6

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
FYI off the grid;
I am Playing my own Nerd Brain Geek Mermaid Sim Off Grid ..She hooked up with Paka'a Uha who she fancied watching him making his moves at a Kava fest and firedance at the Community lot on her second day on the island, he also turned out to be a mermaid in disguise! ( Much confusion when I saw his mermaid form as suddenly his dreadlocks had changed into blonde locks , his skintone was now milk white and he/she had body paint and make-up)
The fridge (old fashioned black one..think it came with Jungle Adventures Game pack) works if you "add ice" You can collect water and daily sell power and water back to the grid! Shift Click your mailbox and mark "store" for both water and power this enables you to use a wall mounted speaker and basic compter (check the usage ratings before you buy) I am playing with the Origin patched Deluxe Edition and have Get to Work and Jungle Adventures installed..I stated with the cheap stove and it gives you the option to cook "off-grid" I got the bubble "what's that..Is it gas I smell?" pop up the first time I used it rather than the outside grill she had been using  initially.

They went on vacation after two weeks of hard play and promtions at work every second day (admittidly I did use "refresh needs household" a couple of times and she developed the gourmet cooking skill in the "Peace and Quiet" holiday home (It has a pool great for hydration for mermaids) Note: You cannot "fill needs" here as no mailbox!
I am not sure if the option to "sell back to the grid" came with the newly updated Deluxe Version but make sence if you are gathering water and can store it . ( I think you may have to renew this option everytime you come back from travelling)
Love living on an Island off grid .(Can really relate to this personally)
With the jungle edition of the woodburning stove and storing my electricity she can even bake now (He hates fruitcake..Also keeps getting sick everytime he goes off island to work (giggles) I wonder if this is beause he is a' Child of the Ocean' and doesnt like being off the Island?
~Savuti 6

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
I did a toddler mania challenge off the grid a few weeks ago.  The solar panels/wind turbines and dew collectors will help with power and water also.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 07:13:33 AM »
It's funny that you bumped this, since I just got finished playing an off the grid sim. I do not have Eco Living so there is no power generation. I could gather water, but there is no way to generate power.

There were a lot of annoying negative moodlets you have to deal with, especially early on. Washing dishes or your hands or taking a shower often gave a negative moodlet. The weird one is that sometimes you get a "Nature's Revenge" moodlet for eating a harvestable. For me, it was usually eating one of the emotion berries so the positive moodlet overrode the negative one. But it acts like food poisoning, so unless you have steel bladder, it can be a problem.

Cooking was a problem because my sim was a foodie. The BBQ drum never gave me anything but normal food, even when I had the grill master reward. It got better when Father Winter gave me a really nice grill. You can use the wood stove, but there are only 6 things you can cook on it OTG. And it's all stuff you can cook on a grill anyway. I had to have his birthday party at another location because there was no way I could bake a cake. I guess cakes and pies were a mid 20th century invention :)

Refrigeration is bugged. There is the icebox that works perfectly fine. You do have to add ice to it and it seems to last about a day. I had made some Foragers Stew early on and it stayed fresh even when I forgot to add ice. But one time I made some Breakfast Scramble and forgot to add ice. It spoiled while the stew stayed just fine. Sometimes it seems like the timer on the spoilage for food just goes away. I don't know why. Ice doesn't cost anything so just add it when you think of it.

Lighting is fine. Most of it is kind of dim and yellowy. There is really only one overhead light and no wall lighting. A lot of the table lights are candles which look cool, but take up a lot of space. My favorite light was the No Fear Night Lantern from Outdoor Retreat because it was the brightest light.

There is some other weirdness that makes you shake your head. There is no OTG radio, so during the Kava party I had no way of getting people to dance. You can plan a vacation using your phone, but you can't buy a lottery ticket. I bought sprinklers for my garden and they worked at first, but after 6 AM the option to turn them on was grayed out. The reward sink that I got from the Culinary career worked just fine even though it shouldn't.

All in all, it wasn't that bad. Just annoying at times. But it was on Sulani, so I imagine it would be problematic living almost anywhere else. Sims tend to get miserable if you can't heat your house. I'm not inclined to do it again. It would be neat as an idea for a vacation home. But everyday life was just unnecessarily annoying.

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »
I don't have eco lifestyle so there might be options that I am not aware of, but if you use the vintage fridge you can add ice to it and store your cooked food that way. I have not been able to do this with the other off the grid fridges that are available to me. You can also gather water/snow to use on your lot.
You can have all the light you want if you use candles or oil lamps as well. And as far as a toilet, it should be the very first toilet in buy mode is functional off the grid. there is also the option of building one on the workbench, or using the debug items and placing the poorly made toilet from the work bench. As far as heat, I think a fireplace might help with that a lot. I have an off the grid save, and they have a fire place. When it was winter they did not get cold as far as I recall. I hope these suggestions have helped.
You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun. ~ Dracula
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7izdNOLStXDQMCan_wQyBQ/

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Savuti6

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:13 AM »
@Teresa I dont have Eco Lifesyle yet  so you answered my question ..Thanks Solar Panels make soo much sense with generating electric
Erin I havent bought Seasons although having read through Carl's guides I believe there is no snow on the islands and it is replaced by "huricane season " Mermaids don"t like storms"(Not nice..I know)
Highlander I think the option "Sell back to the Grid" may have come with the Deluxe Origin Version of the Base Game with the updated patch?  ~ Your lot value pops up everytime you are off site and then return ..Perhaps it was in advance of Eco Lifestle (you have to right click on the mailbox to see your surplace generated Perhaps you need to open the cheat box first ?) I also have Jungle Adventures and have now just bought the Outdoor life and yes the camp light is good but only got that recently was fine with Tiki Torches along the deck and candles inside there are also the Goth floor candleabra and the wagon wheel ceiling lamps that work off-grid. I got my Merefolk  both to gather water twice a day usually first thing and then after work just before they needed to swim as their hydration levels needed boosting and that way was able to sell back  enough surplas to give me 10 % power which was enough for Island Radio (one of them must have gotten a speaker as a job reward( painted with cool pink flowers) I was suprised to find this in the household inventory ~ this item cannot be cloned~ ( I tried using the eyedropper to get another for upstairs on the deck) The off-grid toilet does have it faults and when water levels are low they have to use "elbow grease" to clean (chuckels)but by going to the computer in the library in Willow Creek you can order plumbing parts online and providing you have enough handiness points can upgrade plumbing . Their laptop works for other things but not for Career reports etc.
Good luck to anyone else doing an off-grid challenge (must easier with Eco lifestyle I am sure) but we managed fine and have now finally moved up into the big 50 x 50 empty lot filled the back up with harvestables and with "super sell"
level 7 gardening making over 5 k a pop with Birds of Paradise flowers and emoti berries being a big earner the grow/glo fruit make great fertilizer but ensure I keep one of each superior nice or better fruit/veg in the treasure chest thingy or 5 of most things in the icebox for replanting (Still havent got any tomato yet have one cutting but not sure what to "clone" it to yet ? -
Savuti 6 ~
P.S.
 I have personally lived "off-grid for most of my life; Grew up in Africa (family in Uk and the States) lived in the Caribbean and Kiribati so am really loving Island Life so far.
Just managed to build my spa on the island and had to laugh Simmies from all over came to the Grand Opening ~ Bella refrained but Katrina Cal swanned in strutting her stuff (lol)

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
I don't have island living so I never read the guide for it...I feel like a noob  ;D But I am glad that you have it all figured out. It sounds like you are doing really great!
You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun. ~ Dracula
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7izdNOLStXDQMCan_wQyBQ/