Author Topic: Sunset Valley 2020  (Read 150217 times)

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
Sunset Valley 2020
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
>> Sunset Valley 2020 Version 2.0 <<

Visit our website for Sunset Valley 2020 for more information and a gallery of screenshots.

Quick-Access Index:

Heavily inspired by Naga’s SV 7.0, MrsFlynn and I are happy to bring you a new pair of save files for The Sims 3! We’ve made sure to include all the wonderful features from that save in both versions of Sunset Valley 2020.

Designed for all Expansions
Like SV 7.0, Sunset Valley 2020 was designed for use with all Expansion Packs installed.  It has a broad amount of expansion content, and even some from various Stuff Packs. The saves will work even if you don't have all the expansions. The community lots will show, but will not be functional if you don't have all expansions.

World Routing Fixes
Both versions of Sunset Valley 2020 were constructed on the fixed Sunset Valley world file that EllaCharmed did. The world file was then fully cleaned, and all lots reconstructed by hand on top of it, which results in an extremely smooth running game.  Animals and Sims roaming around the town (outside of lots) won't get stuck anymore due to her terrain and lot adjustments. -- Read more about Ella's Fixed World Map File here.

Lot Routing Fixed
The largest Sims 3 performance issue in the past has been with Sim routing – they get stuck easily. That problem is virtually gone with SV2020: all lots on the world have been meticulously optimized for clean Sim routing, to ensure that Sims navigate smoothly and as few as possible get stuck. SV2020 has been tested on a laptop which is many years old, and runs extremely well.

A Smooth and Rich Game Experience!
Due to all the pathing fixes and optimized lots, you will find that many more sims “show up” to lots your Sims visit, in addition to just generally being *everywhere* in the town. Sunset Valley 2020 is much more alive and populated, and is aimed at providing a fantastic Sims 3 experience.

Screenshots (click to expand)

Full screenshot albums are available on our dedicated website in the Gallery section!

Two Versions to Choose From
There are two versions of 2020 to use: Vanilla (bean), and (milk) Chocolate! Vanilla is aimed at a more traditional experience without supernatural Sims (but watch for our Easter eggs!). Chocolate has a population of 25% supernaturals and 75% regular human Sims. Each is presented as a saved game (before choosing a starting family).

Click to expand, and then click the bottom right to see largest view.

SV 2020 Maps:

Both Vanilla & Chocolate include:
  • World routing fixes from EllaCharmed’s Sunset Valley map.
  • Optimized lots for streamlined performance and minimal or no stuck Sims.
  • A large number of new Sims from other towns: Appaloosa Plains, Starlight Shores, Moonlight Falls, Bridgeport, and even some custom Sims.
  • Several upgraded lots, and a brand new beachfront property. - See this post for more details.
  • Arboretum, Consignment Store, Elixir Consignment store, Fire Station, Gypsy Wagon, Hall of Antiquity, Junkyard, Laundromat and a Salon.
  • All club types from Late Night, allowing night-time socialization and hotspots.
  • The ability to complete the mixology challenges for clubs & bars.
  • A Generations upgraded park, and a large Festival Grounds park for Seasons.
  • Equestrian Center & Horse Ranch.
  • Subways scattered around town to help mobility-challenged Sims.
  • Separate Pet parks for cats & dogs.
  • Showtime lots for aspiring Sims. - *Fixed* See this post.
  • A new pair of lots for players wanting to play a "Squatters" challenge. (aptly named Squatter's Summit)
  • A new Island Paradiso Resort. (The Royal Paradise Hotel)
  • A Fixer upper Resort called Ticky-Tacky-Tiki (Aka Hobart's Hideway) Revamped. - Routing issues resolved. Suitable for players to buy and upgrade early on.
  • Mooring posts to purchase boats from, down at the beach by the Ticky-Tacky-Tiki Resort.
  • Four Dive Spots from Island Paradiso can now be found in the bay.
  • A new 60x60 custom home on the hill, suitable for luxury living or a large family.
  • Most homes have cribs added for families with babies or new arrivals.
  • An extra criminal hideout for those seeking a change of career.
  • All Sims start as they would in a new game:  base skills and no unnatural aging.

In addition to the above, each save file has distinct differences for a unique experience:

SV2020 Vanilla:
  • More Sims populating the town – a large number of new faces!

SV2020 Chocolate:
  • A balanced selection of supernatural Sims to spice up the town. (25% population)
  • Similar to Vanilla, more (and different) Sims have moved into town.

CC and Store Content free!
  • No Custom Content (CC) or Store Content was used in either Vanilla or Chocolate!
  • No spawners were modified, with the exception of two Robot Fish spawners to support the moved Science Facility. - Read more
    here about the Robot Fish.

Requirements:
  • All Expansion Packs (EPs) were used in building the save files, and are highly recommended for play.
    -- The community lots will show, but will not be functional if you don't have all expansions.
  • EllaCharmed’s Fixed Sunset Valley .world file (download & install instructions below)
    Note:  SV2020 will not run properly without first installing the .world file!

SV2020 Version 2.0 Download Links
Additionally you can download directly from our website's Downloads page.

✽ Need help downloading, extracting and installing the save files? Read over this article here for our how-to.

– Alternative Download Links: Vanilla Save FileChocolate Save FileElla's Fixed World Map FileOriginal Sunset Valley World File

Install Instructions
There are two parts to SV 2020’s installation: 1) The .world file, and 2) The SV2020 packages which are save games (Vanilla or Chocolate, or both if you want).

Step 1: Installing the World File (required):
  • Click the Windows Start button, find the search box, type in Sunset Valley.world
  • Look for "Sunset Valley.world" in the file results window, right-click it and then click "Open File Location"
  • You should see “Sunset Valley.world” in the folder that opens.  Right-click it and choose "Rename", then rename it to “Sunset Valley.old”
  • Extract the .world file from the Sunset_Valley.zip file you downloaded here, and copy it to the folder where you renamed the original Sunset Valley.world to .old
  • When done correctly, your Worlds folder should look something like this:

✽ Your Worlds install path may be different, depending on how you have your game installed.

Step 2: Installing 2020’s Vanilla or Chocolate’s save files (required):
  • After downloading the Vanilla or Chocolate Zip from this topic, extract the Zip to a folder
  • Using a file manager, browse to your “Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves” folder
  • Copy the extracted folder to that Saves folder
  • When done correctly, your Saves folder will have a new folder in it (for each SV 2020 version you install):

Playing Vanilla or Chocolate
After installing the .world file and either the Vanilla or Chocolate save, launch The Sims 3 and wait for the main menu.  There should be a new save-game icon in the load window for whichever version of SV2020 you installed.

Click image to see larger view.

In the main menu you should see a silhouette of a family and a house when an SV2020 save is selected. This is normal, it means there is no active family selected. Click the checkmark to start the game, and select or move in a family.

Playing SV2020 is as easy as loading that save, and when the town is viewable click on the button at the top labeled “Return to Game Setup”.  From there you can create or choose a household and begin playing!

Contributor Credits
  • Jaga Telesin, for taking the time to put the save files together, clean up and fix routing issues on the lots as well as various other things.
  • MrsFlynn, for countless hours of creative work on Sims, lots, inspiration, feedback, the new Myrtle Beach property and support help!
  • Flynn Arrowstarr, for the Modern Zen Home, many screenshots, and other contributions along the way.
  • Naga, for providing inspiration & lots from the original Sunset Valley 7.0 (a base for SV2020)
  • EllaCharmed, for her fixed version of the Sunset Valley map
  • Lynley1248, for the The Loess (4BD/4BA) house lot
  • Ausette, for the Dance Club and the original Terra Cot 5br 3.5ba lot (modified & expanded by Jaga Telesin)
  • Joria, for the Dive Bar and Sports Bar
  • Jotape, for the original Royal Paradiso Hotel (heavily modified by Jaga Telesin)
  • HappyASU09, for the Sunnyside Strand beach property
  • Nallis, for the Recurve Strand Beach Bar
  • Danefaith, for the improved Mirabello Plaza
  • Renewed Central Park from Samoht04 & Naga
  • Turjan, for lot tweak ideas, tips, feedback and support help
  • MrsGoodWrench, for tips, feedback and support help

From MrsFlynn, for clarification purposes: -- This information has been added into a quote box for better visibility.

Please Note: Jaga put the SV2020 save files together along with owning and creating the official website. He has the master save files. I cannot do anything to the saves to update/fix them. I feel I also need to clarify - I do not own the official site nor do I have access to it any longer. I cannot fix any broken links. This is why I've added alternative download links via SimFileShare.net for the saves. - See this post.

I will help the best I can on support of the save files here on Carl's forum.

Read more here on what my roll in the SV2020 project is.

Updates:

• Mar. 22nd 2023 - Updated the .world install path. See the FAQs post, here for more info.
  • Mar. 29th 2022 - Added a link to the Original Sunset Valley World File, as explained in this post.
  • Aug. 18th 2021 - Thread locked due to creator no longer supporting the save files. - Read about it here.
  • June 5th 2021 - Tips for Helping with Excessive Lag. - Read about the tips here.
  • May 3rd 2021 - Upgraded Lots Clarification. - Read more about it here.
  • Apr. 21st 2021 - Added alternative download links for the SV2020 files. - See this post.
  • Mar. 10th 2021 - Fixed Showtime Lots - Details here or Download Lots here.
  • Mar. 27th 2020 - v2.0 of Vanilla & Chocolate released.
  • Jan. 12th 2020 - v1.1 of the Royal Paradise Hotel resort lot added for download (a replacement for the original lot)
  • Jan. 1st 2020 - v1.0 of Vanilla & Chocolate released.

^ Back to top ^

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
Recommended Mods and FAQs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »
Recommended Mods
(for enhanced performance, fixing bugs, and quality-of-life improvements)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Information

✽ Updated: Mar. 2023  -- Thank you for the questions and reporting issues with the save files!! :)

We're aware there are a few issues with the save files and have tried to provide fixes for them. Jaga (The creator of the saves) is no longer supporting the save files. - Read more about it here.

Q: How do I Download, Unzip/Extract and Install the SV2020 Save Files?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Q: I can't seem to find the right folder for the Sunset Valley.world file, where is it?

Q: Can I play these save files on a Mac? ~ Yes!!

Q: I don't see the SV2020 save game in the load menu, what do I do?

Q: I loaded a SV2020 save, but it doesn't seem to be working (or there is a lot of lag)

Q: What do I do if the game tells me some objects could not be loaded?

Q: Will using EllaCharmed's .world file harm my older Sunset Valley saves?

Q: I don't have this or that expansion pack, will the save files still work?

Q: Are all the original Sim Families from Sunset Valley present in these saves?

Q: Can I move my existing families into SV2020?

Q: Can I remove existing families or lots to place my own?

Q: Is there room to add more community lots?

Q: How do I save the lots from SV2020?
I like some of the lots from SV2020 and want to add them to my new save file.

Q: SV2020 is missing some community lots? - Hogan's Deep-Fried Diner, the original stadium and Old Pier Beach.

Q: Where's the Stadium? I don't have Showtime and there's no Stadium?

Q: The seasonal festivals aren't being held at Central Park? Was the lot moved?

Q: I can't find the Robot fish, Where have they been moved to?

Q: Spawners in the SV2020 save files?

Q: Will my custom content work with SV2020?

Q: Are the Travel Worlds and University still available with SV2020?

Q: I don't see any ports, houseboats or World Adventure tombs, why?

Q: Does SV2020 Have Any Hidden Islands?

Q: Can I upgrade the Resort Towers in The Royal Paradise Hotel?

Q: How can I improve performance for large Resort lots (like The Royal Paradise Hotel)? 

Q: Why wasn't CAW Used or Combined Rabbitholes Placed?

Q: Which Sims 3 version do I need to play it, 1.67 or 1.69?

➡ Info: Upgraded Lots Clarification - Community lots are all the same between the saves.

➡ Info: Tips for Helping with Excessive Lag

➡ Info: I found a stuck sim that NRaas had to reset!

➡ Info: Missing pet items in houses.

➡ Info: Subway Issues

➡ Info: SV2020 and Katy Perry Sweet Treats.

➡ Info: Junkyard Spawners Double/Triple

➡ Info: Tips for Better Game Performance and Game Troubleshooting

✽ Issues: Central Park Performance, Can't Do Simfest at Bar and Other Showtime Issues - Fixed!!.
Under the spoiler tag are notes on how to fix the effected lots. We also have a fixed lots file you can download here.

✽ Issue: Dive Lots (Floating Above Water Level/Get Flung Back from Dive Spot)

✽ Issue: My Save Has Too Many Sims?!

✽ Issue: Sims stuck under front porch - Hart House - Troubleshooting Tips

✽ Issue: Sunset Valley 2020 - Crashing My Game

^ Back to top ^

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Sunset Valley 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 06:01:15 PM »
Using Sunset Valley 2020 in Challenges

Players wanting to use Sunset Valley 2020 in Challenges (rulesets and objectives setup by other players) should contact that Challenge's creator and ask for permission to do so.  We also recommend that they have the Challenge creator contact us here via PM if they want to ask any questions about the world(s) proposed for their Challenge.

Sunset Valley 2020 (both Vanilla and Chocolate) are re-creations of an upgraded version of the original Sunset Valley (v7.0 by Naga) that use all Expansions, though items/lots from all expansions aren't placed in the world.

Additionally, SV2020 does not use any custom content or store content that the player doesn't expressly add themselves.

For those reasons, we believe SV2020 to be highly suitable for use in *most* Challenges presented to TS3 players today.  Contact your Challenge creator and suggest they approve it for use in their challenge, or have them contact us to ask questions so they can.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
SV2020 Family Information
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »
Exclusive Sims in SV2020
There's a few new households added:

Jaga Telesin
3 Sun Song Ave

Glenn Lockwood and Zelda Mae
9 Sun Song Ave
Myrtle house created by MrsFlynn

Nathan James and Yasmine Ferrari
28 Sim Lane
An original SV house, but slightly remodeled by MrsFlynn.

Haskell Family - Brendan, Audry, Joel, Jeremy, Andi
17 Maywood Lane

The Sims above are also in the Chocolate edition, except the Haskell family are at 16 Maywood Lane (old Bunch family house) and Nathan and Yasmine (Vampire) are at 58 Water Lily Lane in the Stylz house created by MrsFlynn

Howie Easton (Fairy) and Sheena E.
91 Landgraab Ave. (Jamie Jolina's old house) - this family is only in the Chocolate edition.

Family Information for Vanilla and Chocolate

Spoiler: Families in Vanilla (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families in Chocolate (click to show/hide)

✽ As a friendly reminder, If you want any of the missing families - load up an original Sunset Valley game and save them to the library, then place them into your SV2020 save file.

Need help with saving a household? See this post to save families to the library.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 11:23:20 PM »
- contingency reservation for expansion -

Offline RainaElf

• GrandmaSim
  • Llama Wrangler
  • over the river & through the woods
    • Fragile Winds
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »
thank you for this! just snagged a copy.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
You're welcome RainaElf.  Looking forward to hearing how you like it after playing.   :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »
I had a look at these two versions of Sunset Valley, and I really liked what I saw. It's nice to have a version of SV that doesn't stray too far from its original character. Well done! I haven't really played anything yet though. Here are just a few remarks and questions that came up when I looked at the town.

Regarding the FAQ, it actually makes a difference if you use the fixed version of the SV world file with an old save that used the original version. While the routing fixes won't affect the old save, the altered terrain will, which results in buried roads (for example the road to Pinochle Pond or that at the original Science Facility) or height differences between roads and lots with terrain steps. It's better to switch out the world file when loading an old savegame, although this is more an aesthetic issue than a real problem.

Also, the NRaas mod is called Retuner, not Returner.

When I had that quick look at the world, I noticed a couple of minor glitches.

The dive bar has some floating artifacts (only visible from below). These can be removed with the hammer tool in build/buy mode.

At least for me, Sunnyside Strand had lots of floating roofs without supports, one of them glitching into railings:

I noticed the fusion lounge was sitting too low. Was this done because of routing issues? Otherwise, I'll just remove it to the library and replace it.

Regarding the stadium, does this have extra functions compared to the original?

I found the resort hotel already somewhat laggy without people on my somewhat ancient machine. It's looking great though :). I have IP, but have never played there. Is it possible to replace all the towers by rugs (not a request, but a question)?

Oh, and is there a list of which residents are new? I haven't really played all worlds I have yet, so I'm not sure about which are new - aside from your simself  8) .

Anyway, this is all minor stuff, and I really like what I see and am looking forward to playing in this world. This looks like a labor of love  :) . Thanks!

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 09:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Turjan!  I'll make the minor text corrections, and note in the FAQ that EllaCharmed's assumption about the .world file not altering older saves not being entirely correct.

To answer the other items:

- The Dive bar was done by Joria originally, but I can get in and see about correcting the artifacts.  They shouldn't impair routing at all in the meantime.

- Sunnyside Strand was an add-on property done by HappyASU09, that I didn't take any further except to fix some objects and theme some chairs.  I'll take a deeper look at the architecture and see if it needs fixing or rebuilding.  Mainly it exists in the world for the player to purchase and decorate.

- I see sims visiting the Fusion Lounge in test games, so it should be functional for now.  The slight dip on it is simply how it flattened out.  We can re-visit the lot placement and see if it can't be leveled better.  It won't affect pathing from what I've seen.

- We have a new version of The Royal Paradise Hotel in the works for distribution with SV2020 v2.0 in the future, but I'm confident it's play-worthy now.  I've spent a ton of time tweaking it and implementing subtle changes, but there are also some big ones like basement pool windows with digital fish!  I'll see if I can't make an upload copy of it available in the next few days.  It is a much improved version with less overhead and better pathing, and should run better on older machines.  It's version will simply be labeled v1.1 and it will be a file you can place in your Library folder and directly place in the world after bulldozing the old lot.

And to answer your question about it directly:  yes, you can demolish the Spanish style towers in the lower level and replace them with resort rugs easily.  As long as there's at least one rug or one tower, the resort will function just like you want it to.  More rugs means more visitors and higher profit - don't forget to upgrade them and turn on premium services for guests!

- The Stadium was simply copied in from another EA-Maxis world, and should have comparable functionality to the original.  It stays true to Naga's SV 7.0 version in that regard.

- MrsFlynn and I tossed around the idea of listing all the residents in each town, but it's a lot of information and we really wanted to get the worlds out early this January.  It might be a good project for us to distribute with the SV 2020 2.0 worlds however - I'll talk with her again and see if it's something one of us wants to compile.

We're also working on a website to host the worlds, though this topic will continue to be the primary one for the worlds and supporting them.

Glad to hear you're enjoying what you see!   ;D

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
Thank you very much for the answers!

Don't worry about descriptions of all the residents. I recognize those from Bridgeport and from Moonlight Falls, and some of the other names seem vaguely familiar. I was mostly interested in who the completely new ones are.

I reseated the Fusion Lounge:

The offset is 0.45, to save you from some guesswork.

Regarding the Sunnyside Strand, the situation proved to be a bit more complicated. I can see the supports from far away, but they disappear in build mode. At least for me. Weird.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new Resort Hotel. That's good news :).

Thanks again.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
Thanks Turjan.  I should have version 1.1 of the Resort up by tomorrow evening at the latest.  And I'll include the Fusion Lounge height fix in 2.0 to be released later.

I'll still check out Sunnyside Strand, just to see if I can tell how it was constructed and if there are any issues to fix.  Certainly the staircase intersection if nothing else.

If you'd like a little teaser on the Resort revamp, I did an album of some screenshots to share with MrsFlynn..   Enjoy!  :)   https://imgur.com/a/R7phJIu

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 06:59:52 AM »
Those images are looking very good. :)

Just a comment on your FAQ changes regarding the different SV worldfiles: I must have not been very clear. The switch to ellacharmed's world doesn't affect routing in old saves, just like you originally quoted. What it changes is some ground elevation data. The lots stay where you placed them originally, but if the world elevation data change, you get lots of small seams, and at some places, the ground will be slightly higher than the roads where one or two lots drag it up. Or, in other words, it just looks ugly. That's why I switch world files when I switch saves. That's easy enough, as you just have to rename the files.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
Ah right - those seams are what EllaCharmed fixed (among other things).  They show up in regular Sunset Valley games.  Sounds like the .world file changes it so they are visually apparent.  Good to know it doesn't affect routing, I'll edit to note it.

Going to toss The Royal Paradise Hotel v1.1 up in a little bit.  :)

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Added a download link tonight for v1.1 of the Royal Paradise Hotel (a resort lot in SV2020).  It is just under the regular SV2020 download links in the main topic.

v1.1 of the resort lot has improved pathing, better room structure on the Entertainment floor, a new pool-viewing room with digital fish windows, some fixes for original author mistakes, and should give overall better performance.

Here's a screenshot album for the Resort.  An older version is already in SV2020's worlds, which this version is meant to replace.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
As an addendum, MrsFlynn let me know the default TS3 install locations so that people would know where to start if search isn't working (unless they did a custom install path of course):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts - for the Disc Version
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games - for the Origin Version

After finding your install location for TS3, you'd want to browse to the folder that holds the original Sunset Valley.world file, typically under:  \The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds