Author Topic: Did they foreclose my house?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
Did they foreclose my house?
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:54:52 PM »
I created four young adult sims.  I originally moved them into the small "long" house in Willow Creek where they took their placement exams and then enrolled in the university.

It's taken me a couple in real-life months to put in the time to get them to graduate, but they finally did. After waiting all day to go back home.

... They no longer have a home : /

There's a guy named Yoshida living there now. 

So I started looking around for other places to live... to find that EVERY normally-empty house in every world is now inhabited by the sims added by university! There is literally nowhere to move!

I suppose I could just evict someone, but the problem is that I only have $8000 left, which isn't enough to buy a house. Evidently it never gave me the money from selling it, which actually makes sense, because i didn't sell it.

I've evicted the person in the cheap 3BR apartment, but any ideas as what happened here?  This seems like a pretty significant bug.

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Did they foreclose my house?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »
Hahahaa!!  My sims are so poor they can only afford one toilet!! 

This is going to be awesome : )

In case you're wondering where $8000 went: beds.  I learned the value of a good bed the hard way, both in the sims and real life.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 09:12:58 PM »
Ok, all the signing bonuses got me another $8000.  They have two toilets now.

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
You might want to check your household inventory.  I had a similar situation, after graduating from college having much less money than I expected.  Started replacing furniture with the little money I had left and eventually looked in the household inventory and realized all my old furniture was in there!

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
Yes, what Manderly said.  And when you keep your "furniture," it's EVERYTHING that was inside your house.  Counters, plumbing, lighting, everything.  So selling a house but keeping the furniture, you don't get a lot of money-- because an unfurnished house consists of the lot itself, the floor, the walls, and the roof.  All the rest of that stuff goes into your inventory.

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah... I checked that, but nothing was there.  It's not a big deal.  $8k is more than enough to get started. I'm just a little irked because i spent a decent amount of time setting up the previous house with a cauldron for the witches, customized rooms, etc.

Really, I'm more concerned with what happens when their children go to college.  If it deletes my families then, I'm going to be a bit upset.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
@igor140  when the only Sim in a household enrolls in University the game forces you to sell your house with/without the furniture. The best option is to sell the house with the furniture then note the amount of funds your Sim now has when they first arrive in the University housing. This is the amount you'll need to buy your Sims home back again at the end of the degree.

If there are two Sims in a household and only one Sim goes to uni then the game will force you to split the household. You'll play the Sim in uni and the Sim left behind in the family home will become a 'played but rotated away from' household. At the end of uni time your uni Sim will have the option of merging back into the original household or buy somewhere else and continue to be a one Sim household.

**Edited to add: It's a very clunky design but because the game doesn't support a Sim owning more than one physical lot this is how it plays out. There are mods around that let Sims purchase more than one lots but I haven't used them in conjunction with Discover University so not sure if they would be much use in this instance. It is strange that the furniture from your Sim original house was not in their Household Inventory, I guess that was some sort of bug.  :-\
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 01:38:02 AM »
@Playalot I only play with one Sim or enrol them all in University because I don't like the idea of any Sims left behind aging and possibly dying, I kind of wish time froze while at Uni like it did in the Sims 3. I'm also not keen on how the housing situation is handled either.

I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of this pack, it's as you said, too clunky and doesn't focus enough on the student lifestyle and the discovery and experimentation that comes along with it. Sure it has it's good points but it's not one of my favourite expansions, that's for certain.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 01:55:31 AM »
I'm with you @Rainbow Dash  Time freezing would have been preferable. I guess you can manipulate the aging settings in the game options but that's not really the same because whenever I either rotate away from a household or leave some behind with uni, I  see them walking around the worlds used by the game as 'walk bys' or even City Life vendors or Get Famous bouncers. It's all rather annoying to say the least!

The system used to enroll and move Sims into uni is very confusing for the first time. So many people couldn't understand why suddenly they had these 'new Sims' in their household as they had inadvertently moved their own Sim in with the Maxis pre-mades. And the issue of having to sell your Sims home and then repurchase it...*sigh*

I find the sheer grind to get a distinguished degree boring really. I think the uni terms needed to be two weeks and either shorter duration classes or lumped more together in the weeks timetable to allow your Sim more time to explore Britchester.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 03:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses!  It may well just be that because it was several months ago (when the pack was first released) that I created this household and had them all go to college together that i forgot that i sold the house. It may very well have been upfront about that.

That still doesn't explain why all of the normally empty houses were filled with college NPCs though. I had to evict one of my previous professors.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
I created four young adult sims.  I originally moved them into the small "long" house in Willow Creek where they took their placement exams and then enrolled in the university.

It's taken me a couple IRL months to put in the time to get them to graduate, but they finally did.  After waiting all day to go back home.

... They no longer have a home : /

There's a guy named Yoshida living there now. 

So I started looking around for other places to live... to find that EVERY normally-empty house in every world is now inhabited by the sims added by university!  There is literally nowhere to move!

I'm quite jealous of your simverse in which all the empty houses are occupied by households!!!
The only time that ever happens in my game is when I use the MCCC mod.
In my current unmodded game, 1-2 households might move into the town where my actively-played household lives. Such households most often consist of a single elder. Thanks, game!

The EA devs released a patch last year, claiming that the "Fill Empty Houses" feature was fixed. I'm not seeing that in my game at all! :(

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 01:20:11 AM »
I'm quite jealous of your simverse in which all the empty houses are occupied by households!!!
The only time that ever happens in my game is when I use the MCCC mod.
In my current unmodded game, 1-2 households might move into the town where my actively-played household lives. Such households most often consist of a single elder. Thanks, game!

The EA devs released a patch last year, claiming that the "Fill Empty Houses" feature was fixed. I'm not seeing that in my game at all! :(

Yeah... one single sim rattling around in a 4-bedroom home, and then 7 sims somehow stuffed into Johnny Zest's old trailer.  My game is old enough that he's gone now.
I don't feel bad at all about evicting NPC's, especially if it's a poorly put together random generated one.