Author Topic: Carr Immortal Dynasty (Completed)  (Read 69282 times)

Offline Chubling

• Occult
Re: Carr Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
Congratulations! The Carr's have succeeded! Do we get to get a shot of young living Rolls? It must feel amazing to be done! At least with the challenge part!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
To be honest, it feels exhausting more than anything.  I finished playing this afternoon, wrote the update and then went off for a bubble bath.  I need to add up the museum value and herd the Carrs together for a group photo but it feels like too much effort right now.  I'm not even sure what day and week it was in-game when I finished.  When I've got myself together again, I will post all of that (and a screenshot of young Rolls).  In fact, there are loose ends I want to tie up, so the story will continue for a little while after the end of the challenge.  Maybe in a day or two...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2020, 05:19:26 PM »
Congratulations Hazelnut and Carrs :)

Offline starlives

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2020, 05:31:21 AM »
Sending you huge congratulations on the completion of the Carr Immortal Dynasty challenge. I shall very much miss your updates. And what an ending, drama right up to the last hurdle. Thank you for sharing this sims story and I hope there will be others in the future.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
Congrats! I'd have panicked with the ambrosia issue too, because I've definitely run into it with ghosts but fixed it with replicating another plate.

My inbox is open for the dynasty stuff...I shouldn't have to tell you any of this by now. ;)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline fansidoodle

• Townie
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »
Congrats! I'm so excited for you. Roly Poly was just scared of the effects of the ambrosia that's why he gave you a bit of a scare ;)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
Congratulations Hazelnut and Carrs :)

Sending you huge congratulations on the completion of the Carr Immortal Dynasty challenge. I shall very much miss your updates. And what an ending, drama right up to the last hurdle. Thank you for sharing this sims story and I hope there will be others in the future.
Thanks, starlives.  I've really appreciated your comments all the way through :-*.  I could have done without that last piece of drama but at least RR stayed true to form until the end ;).
There will be a few more updates - I've never been one to let finishing a challenge get in the way of finishing the story.

Congrats! I'd have panicked with the ambrosia issue too, because I've definitely run into it with ghosts but fixed it with replicating another plate.

My inbox is open for the dynasty stuff...I shouldn't have to tell you any of this by now. ;)
Thanks, Trip :).  I'd never even heard of that glitch before.  Not the ideal time to meet it :(.  I'm still trying to get a decent post-dynasty group photo but will PM you when the Carrs agree to pose like sensible Sims (even turning off free will doesn't seem to stop them pulling silly faces at the wrong moment).

Congrats! I'm so excited for you. Roly Poly was just scared of the effects of the ambrosia that's why he gave you a bit of a scare ;)
Thanks :).  Maybe he was scared of immortality - although he was quite close to becoming a permanent non-playable ghost by the time he finally ate ambrosia.  I was aware that I was pushing it a bit even before he got the unexpected call back into work.  Not being able to eat ambrosia was a step too far  >:(.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2020, 03:56:40 PM »
You Have Reached Your Destination

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time since I finished playing the challenge trying to get the Carrs to pose for a group photo.  They kept pulling faces and fidgeting (especially Morgan.  It's probably just that his traits give him more idling animations but I prefer to think that he was being awkward as usual).  Finally, I realised that, of course, the Carrs wanted to pose with their cars!  Suddenly it was easy to get a good shot :).

787.Group_photo.jpg

The challenge was finished on week 72, day 3 and the museum value was $5,107,139.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
Handing the keys over to you...take that phrase how you will! Enjoy the new entry and being the new reining recordholder. I learned a lot about the game reading this and that's dangerous stuff. ;)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
Congratulations, hazelnut! I always love reading your stories and this one was no exception. You're basically dynasty royalty at this point. I'll miss reading about the Carrs. Amazing work!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »
Handing the keys over to you...take that phrase how you will! Enjoy the new entry and being the new reining recordholder. I learned a lot about the game reading this and that's dangerous stuff. ;)

Congratulations, hazelnut! I always love reading your stories and this one was no exception. You're basically dynasty royalty at this point. I'll miss reading about the Carrs. Amazing work!

Thanks, both.  *Blush*

Under the Bonnet

The Museum

788.Museum.jpg

I was astonished when I added up the museum value.  I knew it must be well in excess of the Woods' and I was hoping to get within sight of the highest values in the Hall of Fame but never imagined the total would be as much as it was.

The paintings and sculptures of Austin alone were worth more than the Woods' whole museum.  OK, the game took 20 weeks longer to play through – partly as a matter of strategy and partly because things just happened, notably Morgan's reluctance to pair up and produce an heir – but that alone doesn't account for everything.  The Woods' most valuable sculpture was worth §25,463; only RR's elder sculpture was worth less than that.  The Woods' painting values couldn't even begin to compete.  And then there were the photos…

To be fair to my younger self, I'd only been Simming for a few months when I played my first dynasty and wasn't particularly bothered about the museum value, especially as I didn't have World Adventures back then and had to pay the bills.  I also seem to remember choosing less valuable paintings for the museum several times simply because I liked them better - and I was still using the default medium canvas size for portraits.

Anyway, how did the Carrs' museum end up being worth so much?

Let's start with the paintings.  The base value matters here far more than appreciation: even the portraits of a level 10 painter will only appreciate by §10 per day while the artist is alive and by §20 per day afterwards, with a one-off §930 bonus on death.  The base value goes up faster than that if the artist keeps practising, which was why Austin painted everything for the museum after Portia hit adulthood and most portraits were painted shortly before the subject's next birthday.

Opportunities are a matter of luck: Fresco Fest will boost the value of all future paintings (despite what the otherwise excellent painting article on SimsWiki says), while the Local Artists' Gallery will double the value of the next painting to be finished – or a whole series of them if you start paintings but don't finish them.  Lotus was born when she was, a week or so earlier than planned, because Austin received the opportunity.  It nearly backfired on me when Kia proved to be long-lived, but Lotus's toddler portrait was the most valuable in the museum.

789.MVpaint.JPG

Ford's elder portrait (which was brilliant rather than a masterpiece) was painted as part of the same batch and was the second most expensive painting.  A fairly distant runner-up was RR's elder portrait, at §20,303.

I'm not sure whether it's an undocumented side-effect or merely a bug but the value of Austin's other paintings definitely took a hit immediately after the opp.

He also received the Fresco Fest opportunity at some point.  I'm not sure when it was but, looking at the painting values, almost certainly while Morgan was an elder.

Darren was the only other painter to get Fresco Fest.  It was near the end of his life but I think it benefitted Minnie's elder portrait and Austin's child and teen portraits.  Darren and Riley both did the Local Artists' Gallery, and Minnie's YA portrait and Portia's toddler one are noticeably more valuable as a result.

Photos are the exact opposite of paintings: it's all about the appreciation.  The maximum is §50 per day for a living photographer and §100 per day after death, with the same §930 bonus as paintings when the artist dies.  I've written a post about photo values here.

Minnie's young adult photo ended up as the most valuable in the museum (and, in fact, was worth more than her YA sculpture, which was the only one made by a non-supermaxed sculptor).

790.MVphoto.JPG

It wasn't quite a steady reduction from then on but the effort I put into getting high-value photos and completing collections was probably disproportionate.  Case in point: Austin gradually worked his way through the Best in Class collection just for the boost in value on the final photo, SuperCop, which was intended to be RR's elder pic.  In the event, Dumpster Diving, from the still incomplete Sims in Motion collection, was worth more  :-\.

Tip for future Immortal Dynasty players: take the photos early and don't worry too much about the starting values – although it's well worth buying a snake charming basket as soon as travel is allowed.  Also, have mortal photographers for as long as possible.  Austin only took over museum duties after Kia, the last mortal, died.

Sculptures are somewhere in between: it's a balancing act between start value and appreciation.  They are also much more valuable (60% of the total museum value came from sculptures).  While the appreciation on paintings and photos is a flat rate, it's a percentage of the starting value for sculptures, which complicates things.  I almost certainly picked the wrong item for the museum on some occasions early on, when I just chose the sculpture that was worth most as the subject's next birthday approached.  Later, I took account of the start values and tried to predict future appreciation (although very approximately, since I wasn't sure how long the game would take and obviously had no idea how long the mortals would live).

Austin's child sculpture, a Jaycen masterpiece, was the most valuable.

791.MVsculpt.JPG

There were five others worth over §100,000 and I suspect there might have been more if I'd chosen the museum items better.

The Mortals

792.Mortals.jpg

My original plan was to have a mortal painter-photographer and a mortal sculptor for as long as possible, with younger artists being trained up as successors while there was still room in the household.  Sculptors were given priority, since they took longer to train.

793.Mortals.jpg

That was modified when Morris lived so much longer than expected: Nio, who'd been intended to be a sculptor, became an all-round artist and produced photos as well as sculptures for the museum.  (But no paintings – this coincided with my realising that Austin's painting values had essentially become unbeatable.)

Romeo and Robin did the same.  By the time Opal took over as primary artist, Minnie's sculptures had become so valuable that it was hard for a mere mortal to compete, even with the greater appreciation after death, and the only two Opal sculptures in the museum were created near the end of her life.  I decided that it probably wasn't worth the effort of training up another sculptor and Kia contributed only photos.

All of the sculptors supermaxed.  All of the portrait painters completed the Master Painter challenge and most supermaxed.  I'm not sure whether Darren ever got to thirty paintings, since he only worked on large canvases, apart from medium portraits of her husband and younger son for Minnie's bedroom.  The photographers all completed Photog (and Architectural Eye along the way, even though it was irrelevant to the museum) – and all had level 10 painting, even if they never practised the skill, for the reason I explained in the photography post.

(Alert readers may have noticed that Evangeline doesn't appear in the mortals' gallery.  That was my fault: no-one had learned photography by the time she died and it only occurred to me much too late that Darren could have painted her portrait instead.)

The Immortals

Minnie spent most of her life sculpting (when she wasn't training toddlers):

794.Minnie_sculpt.jpg

Of course, since Morgan was in the same house for about half of her long life, she couldn't completely avoid picking up the athletic skill and ended up at level 6.  She maxed charisma and cooking, and completed the gem and metal collecting challenges.  Adding Master Controller after the official end of the dynasty revealed that she was at level 8 of the hidden Gnubb skill.

Austin, again, was primarily a dynasty slave.

795.Austin_paintings.jpg

He completed four out of five of the photography challenges.  Shutternut finally registered when he'd completed seven collections  ::).

796.Austin_photo.jpg

He maxed charisma and cooking, and, since he couldn't avoid Morgan entirely, reached level 4 of athletic.  He also got to level 5 of handiness and social networking and completed the gem and metal collecting challenges.

He was the happiest of the immortals, probably thanks to the constant Stylin' moodlet, and ended up with 1,142,830 points.  (Minnie also had over a million points – clearly, dynasty slavery isn't all that bad.)

Ambitious VW supermaxed the science, gardening and handiness skills and reached level 10 of athletic and charisma.  She also got to level 9 of fishing, level 8 cooking, level 5 dancing and had a point or two in a number of other skills, including writing (no idea how that happened, since the only computer was locked in Ford's study).   She completed the gem and beetle collecting challenges.  Of the hidden skills, she maxed Gnubb and reached level 5 of trampolining.

She never gave up on trying to clone Portia.  She rolled the wish several more times and ended up with nine samples of her DNA :).  There were also four from Minnie and one from Lotus but none from the other immortals.

Portia supermaxed nectar-making, gardening and cooking.  She reached level 10 of charisma and athletic, and completed the Body Builder challenge less than a day before RR ate ambrosia.  Despite my hope that she would max dancing (which none of my Sims have done yet), she too only reached level 5.

797.Ballet.jpg

On the other hand, she did max Gnubb and trampoline and reached level 9 of pool ;).

Morgan supermaxed inventing and athletics and (ahem) encouraged most of the rest of the family to work on their athletic and dancing skills.

798.Dance_training.jpg

(I can't quite decide whether to be amused or shocked that the training animation for ballet is exactly the same as for gym workouts ;).)

He completed all three consignment challenges, mastered handiness and charisma, reached level 8 of cooking and was the most advanced dancer of the family at level 7.  He also maxed the hidden trampoline and Gnubb skills.

Ford supermaxed writing and had written books in most genres by the end of the challenge.  Despite being a couch potato, he was bullied by Morgan into maxing the athletic skill.  He also reached level 10 of social networking and charisma, level 8 of cooking, level 7 of Gnubb and had made a tentative start on a few other skills.  He was the only member of the family to learn the arcade machine hidden skill, reaching level 5.

Lotus supermaxed martial arts and reached level 10 of the athletic and charisma skills.  Like Portia, she became a Body Builder towards the end of the game.   She spent most of her time as an immortal chatting to other family members or breaking space rock blocks.

799.Space_rock_breaking.jpg

She reached level 10 of the trampoline skill and level 6 of Gnubb.

800.Trampoline.jpg

Rolls Royce, of course, didn't get the chance to do much more than achieve his dynasty goals.  He supermaxed logic, and had level 10 athletics and charisma.  He'd reached level 9 in the hidden chess skill.  I'm not sure when he found the time but he was also at level 4 trampolining.

A footnote: I decided very early on to set myself the additional challenge of never collecting any money from the Carrs' properties.  Given all of the sculpting and painting going on, that wasn't a problem for long and they ended up with over 32 million Simoleons in spare cash without ever collecting any rent.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
Thank you for the insight into the 'behind the scenes' wizardry that goes into your successful challenge, Hazlenut.

I always enjoy reading the strategies of skilled players like yourself and appreciate the time taken to share them with us.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
Thank you for all the notes! I don't remember what my painting and sculpture numbers were at the end though my sculptor was my third gen instead of my founder. I did put an end to mortal artistry earlier as well so I guess this really does disprove my "the real booster is time" theory...at least a little bit. But imagine Morgan and Robin marrying out of high school and tanking your museum value instead. :P

Anyways, are you alright with this being moved to the Completed Stories board? Obviously you can still add to the thread when it's there but it's less "visible" so your choice!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
Thanks, both :)

But imagine Morgan and Robin marrying out of high school and tanking your museum value instead. :P

Morgan probably wouldn't have reproduced until adulthood anyway, given how much of my attention was being taken up by his supermax.  But, yes, that would probably have made the game four or five weeks shorter.  And if Austin hadn't had the painting opportunities, the museum value would have taken a significant hit.

Anyways, are you alright with this being moved to the Completed Stories board? Obviously you can still add to the thread when it's there but it's less "visible" so your choice!
Can you leave it here for now, please?  I am going to carry on playing the Carrs for a while longer, when real life gives me a chance to get back to the game.

Offline butterfly

• Immortal
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
Congratulations on finishing the dynasty!! And whoa, that museum is so impressive. Kinda makes me want to try this challenge at some point.
My TS3 Dynasty: Avilla TDD

anything