Author Topic: A Career Challenge with Cheats? Sounds Alien to Me!  (Read 13808 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
A Career Challenge with Cheats? Sounds Alien to Me!
« on: January 15, 2021, 06:18:10 AM »
A Career Challenge with Cheats? Sounds Alien to Me!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal
It's been a long time since a dedicated careers challenge has graced the forum. We're allowing your starting two Alien Sims to use their awesome powers (a needs filling cheat) as a reward for any household member that places a unique career reward object.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply. Exceptions are noted below.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create two Young Adult Alien Sims.
  • Rally the Troops is banned.
  • The Wishing Well is banned.
  • Potion of Plentiful Needs is banned.
  • The Copypasto spell is banned.
  • You may add to the household via Household Management, but no one can move out or be intentionally killed.
  • If any Sims dies, continue the challenge with the remaining Sims, but that slot must remain empty.
  • All maxed jobs must be unique — part-time jobs do not qualify. Each branch of a given career is considered a unique career. So, Sim A could max the Chef branch of the Culinary Career, and Sim B could max the Mixology branch, but not the Chef branch since Sim A already had.
  • All rewards counted to add to your multiplier must be unique. If Sim A caps one branch of a career and unlocks a low-level reward, and Sim B caps the other branch of the same career and also unlocks the same reward, you only count that reward once for your multiplier.
  • For every unique career reward obtained by a household member, your two Aliens use their special powers (shift click the appropriate Sim and use the Make Happy cheat) a single time.
  • No life extension methods are allowed or changing life state.
  • This challenge ends at Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Scoring

Scoring is based on how many unique careers have been maxed and collecting as many different job-related rewards.   

Career Cap — Award yourself 1000 points for any maxed career unique to a Sim.

Rewards — Your multiplier is the total number of unique physical/placeable single objects** you get as perks for hitting certain levels in various careers. Simply unlocking the items is not enough to count them towards your multiplier. They need to be placed. Everyone starts the game with a reward multiplier of 1.00.

**Certain careers have entire rooms as rewards. These do not count as rewards.

Do not get rid of any rewards during the challenge so that you can get an accurate count at the end of the event.

Each reward adds 5% (.05) to your multiplier.

DO NOT ask in this thread if a certain item qualifies as a reward. PM the team with your question.

Total — Add up the number of job caps from your two Sims. Then take that amount and multiply it by your rewards.

Example: The game clock hits Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m., so it's time to stop playing your file. At this point your two Alien Sims have hit 3 different career caps. You also brought in 5 other Sims, and those household members were able to max an additional 7 unique careers. Finally, your household acquired 19 different rewards.

10 job caps = 10000 points
19 rewards X .05 = .95. Final multiplier = 1.00 + .75 = 1.95
Your Total = 10000 X 1.75 = 19500

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread, or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Career Cap     Rewards          Total
Nikitachi1600011.35181,600
Nandarelle1200010.90130800
LenaLJ130009.25120250
ratchie120009.00108000
CynKuy70006.2043400
Eighty8Keys60006.4038400
Teresa50007.0035000
mismck50007.0035000
Metropolis Man50006.5032500
kinseyam20003.256500

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: A Career Challenge with Cheats? Sounds Alien to Me!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 06:26:46 AM »
1/17 -- Only single reward objects count towards the multiplier. Not entire room rewards.

1/18 -- added two addition bans:

• Rally the Troops is banned.
  • The Wishing Well is banned.

1/20 -- two more bans added:

1/27 -- clarified the following to allow Household Management...

• You may add to the household via Household Management, but no one can move out or be intentionally killed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
Perfect, thank you!

A few questions straight away:
- What about Teen careers?
- How are we allowed to add Sims to our household?
- Can we use Manage Households screen to swap some family members between two households? What restrictions are there (besides the one that once someone entered our household, he/she must stay?)
- When someone gets a reward item, do we have to use the Alien power right after that, or can we 'store' these until they're needed?

Thank you!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:41:26 AM »
Perfect, thank you!

- Can we use Manage Households screen to swap some family members between two households? What restrictions are there (besides the one that once someone entered our household, he/she must stay?)
- When someone gets a reward item, do we have to use the Alien power right after that, or can we 'store' these until they're needed?

Thank you!

Let's keep it as simple as possible. This is my idea for a challenge, so my aging brain needs to keep it simple! ;) All careers allowed. Any way you want to add household members - go for it. Manage households - no restrictions. Storing the Alien powers is fine.

EDIT: By the way -- team, or anyone else with an opinion...if you feel this is too easy and too simple, then voice your opinions now so rules can be changed before this event goes live.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:14:53 PM »
The rules already say no part-time careers, which would actually count teen careers out?

Using Manage Households is fine with me - sims can't move out once they move in, so there is a natural limit on this.
Storing power is fine with me.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
The rules already say no part-time careers, which would actually count teen careers out?

Oops. Yep. Nikitachi, are you clear on that or did you forget like me? Lol.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 04:03:07 AM »

Oops. Yep. Nikitachi, are you clear on that or did you forget like me? Lol.

I just wasn't sure whether teen careers qualify as part-time ones :D so that's why I asked. Okay, then they're not allowed, got it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 04:45:02 AM »
Some more questions:
- Can we age any Sims up with a cake if we want to?
- As far as I know, some promotions unlock some Build Mode items, but don't give a copy of them into your family inventory. Should we count these if we buy one and place it, or not?
(please ignore if this statement is wrong by default, I'm not sure if it's true)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 06:42:49 AM »
Some more questions:

Yes, that's fine. But, just a reminder -- no age extension methods.

- As far as I know, some promotions unlock some Build Mode items, but don't give a copy of them into your family inventory. Should we count these if we buy one and place it, or not?
(please ignore if this statement is wrong by default, I'm not sure if it's true)

As long as you can place the item then count it towards the multiplier.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »
Seeking confirmation that all parts of a career reward must be placed on the lot to count? So if something doesnt fit a room as its too tall say it cant be placed (only if not placed in a room) as it will delete part of the reward to enable placement (and resizing isnt allowed as the cheats panel cant be accessed so it cant be made to fit  :P)?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
Seeking confirmation that all parts of a career reward must be placed on the lot to count?

Correct. Just think of the crazy and funny screenshots from players after I close the event. :)

Offline Delokkpsi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:53:46 PM »
I thought we could resize items because the cheats panel isn't required for resizing.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »
Rewards are now limited to single objects, not entire rooms. I clarified the scoring description...

Rewards — Your multiplier is the total number of unique physical/placeable single objects** you get as perks for hitting certain levels in various careers. Simply unlocking the items is not enough to count them towards your multiplier. They need to be placed. Everyone starts the game with a reward multiplier of 1.00.

**Certain careers have entire rooms as rewards. These do not count as rewards.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
I thought we could resize items because the cheats panel isn't required for resizing.

You are coorect- forgot about shift + []  ;)

Offline Delokkpsi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 02:01:39 PM »
I want to make sure I have this right. For every unique reward object placed, BOTH of our Alien Sims can use/store their powers on any Sim.  So, we could fill the needs of any 2 Sims in the household for every 1 unique reward object placed. Is that correct?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 02:08:58 PM »
I want to make sure I have this right. For every unique reward object placed, BOTH of our Alien Sims can use/store their powers on any Sim.  So, we could fill the needs of any 2 Sims in the household for every 1 unique reward object placed. Is that correct?

No. Ignore the Aliens. You're using the cheat not them ;). We're just putting them in as the cheat equaling their special powers. One object = one use of the cheat.

Offline Delokkpsi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »

No. Ignore the Aliens. You're using the cheat not them ;). We're just putting them in as the cheat equaling their special powers. One object = one use of the cheat.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 02:17:22 AM »
To make the challenge more... well, challenging (:D), maybe the team should consider banning Rally the Troops? Because, when it is allowed, that Alien 'cheat' won't even be needed.
Also, maybe this time we should ban the Wishing Well (at least wishing for promotions)?

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 05:22:03 AM »
To make the challenge more... well, challenging (:D), maybe the team should consider banning Rally the Troops? Because, when it is allowed, that Alien 'cheat' won't even be needed.
Also, maybe this time we should ban the Wishing Well (at least wishing for promotions)?

As much as I really hate to admit it, I agree with @Nikitachi -- I think Clubs are ok, but no Rally the Troops. And definitely no Wishing Well.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 05:44:25 AM »

I would say its all part of executed strategy. Rally only ups 3 of your needs so the "cheat" is needed in certain situations and WW is used at risk ;)

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 06:06:19 AM »

I would say its all part of executed strategy. Rally only ups 3 of your needs so the "cheat" is needed in certain situations and WW is used at risk ;)

Yes, it's a risk, but it makes the challenge a gambling game instead of a strategy game. I played a few similar challenges in the past, and I have spent a bit of time practicing for this one - and my Sims almost don't even get to work when I'm using the well. Instead of thinking for a smart way to do things, you just gamble, gamble, gamble. And the one who's the most lucky will win the event. Doesn't make much sense to me...

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 06:27:07 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I added two bans (see post #2 in this thread).

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I added two bans (see post #2 in this thread).

Thank you Metro!
Since this year might be the last one for the Sims 4 challenges, I'd really like to challenge myself instead of just repeating what I already did in the previous years.
I really appreciate your cooperation.

Offline Delokkpsi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
Some more questions:

Yes, that's fine. But, just a reminder -- no age extension methods.

Since additional Sims cannot be added to the family by way of pregnancy (that would be an age extension method), can we add the other Sims during CAS when we are creating our 2 starting Alien Sims or do they have to be acquired during game play?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »

Since additional Sims cannot be added to the family by way of pregnancy (that would be an age extension method), can we add the other Sims during CAS when we are creating our 2 starting Alien Sims or do they have to be acquired during game play?

You only start with your 2 Aliens when you go into Live mode. A huge part of the strategy in this one is researching what other Sims would benefit you the most.

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 05:57:59 AM »

As much as I really hate to admit it, I agree with @Nikitachi -- I think Clubs are ok, but no Rally the Troops. And definitely no Wishing Well.

I suggest that the Potion of Plentiful Needs and Copypasto also be banned for the same reason.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 06:16:28 AM »
I suggest that the Potion of Plentiful Needs and Copypasto also be banned for the same reason.

Good suggestions. I updated the rules. It's highly unlikely the rules will change after tomorrow (Thursday), so if anyone has another suggestion, it needs to be today.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 07:04:53 AM »

Good suggestions. I updated the rules. It's highly unlikely the rules will change after tomorrow (Thursday), so if anyone has another suggestion, it needs to be today.

Just wanted to say that I tried playing by the new rules yesterday (no Rally and no Well), and the gameplay became SO MUCH more interesting!

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
Is the one use of the cheat on the sim who got the career reward or any sim? Thanks.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Is the one use of the cheat on the sim who got the career reward or any sim? Thanks.

The key word in the following rule is "appropriate" ...

• For every unique career reward obtained by a household member, your two Aliens use their special powers (shift click the appropriate Sim and use the Make Happy cheat) a single time.

So, please only use the cheat on a Sim who earned it via a career reward.

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »

I had missed that nuance — thank you for clarifying  :)

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 11:23:08 AM »
1/20 -- two more bans added:

Other than these two, can our sims be spellcasters and use spellcaster potions and spells? I thought we're not allowed to change life state, but is turning to a Spellcaster considered as a new life state or not?

Also, Copypasto is banned, but what about the Cloning Machine?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

Other than these two, can our sims be spellcasters and use spellcaster potions and spells? I thought we're not allowed to change life state, but is turning to a Spellcaster considered as a new life state or not?

Spellcasters are a different life state, so you cannot change your Aliens into Spellcasters.

The cloning machine is fine (unless someone else from the team speaks up soon and disagrees).

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »

Spellcasters are a different life state, so you cannot change your Aliens into Spellcasters.

The cloning machine is fine (unless someone else from the team speaks up soon and disagrees).

Or any other sims you choose to move in right? All sims must remain in their original lifestate (so original Spellcasters are allowed) and Vampires are banned as they are a life extension?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2021, 02:17:18 PM »
Or any other sims you choose to move in right? All sims must remain in their original lifestate (so original Spellcasters are allowed) and Vampires are banned as they are a life extension?

Correct.

Offline Noyo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »

Way too many restrictions; goals are not hard, even simple, however 3 sims weeks with those rules is not funny, rather pain, literaly headache for me personaly, so i pass this challenge. Of course its not mandatory to participate, i wish good luck to simmers then and just looking for future challenges.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:19 AM »
Can the same Sim max both branches of one career? Like in the rules where it says, "Sim A could max the Chef branch of the Culinary Career, and Sim B could max the Mixology branch, but not the Chef branch since Sim A already had" - can Sim A max both Mixology and Chef, as long as they only count each reward object once?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 06:12:11 AM »
Can the same Sim max both branches of one career? Like in the rules where it says, "Sim A could max the Chef branch of the Culinary Career, and Sim B could max the Mixology branch, but not the Chef branch since Sim A already had" - can Sim A max both Mixology and Chef, as long as they only count each reward object once?

Sure, that's fine.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »

Sure, that's fine.

I thought that's not even possible... once you choose a branch, it doesn't ever let you choose again. Has it changed? (or maybe it has always been like that? :D)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »

Sure, that's fine.

I thought that's not even possible... once you choose a branch, it doesn't ever let you choose again. Has it changed? (or maybe it has always been like that? :D)

To be honest, I have never tried it myself, but if you could do that, it would be fine. No reason really to not allow it. But, yeah, if the game does not allow the same Sim to cap both branches, then it's a non-issue.

On a different note I want to remind players of this General Rule...

Expansions and Game Packs
Any new Expansion or Game Pack content (less than 30 days before a Tournament challenge goes live) must be disabled before starting your scoring file. If there have been at least 30 days after an Expansion or Game Pack, then you are free to use it (unless a specific ruleset says otherwise).

So, that means Paranormal pack is banned for this event. It's not specifically stated in the rule set, but try and remember that.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »

To be honest, I have never tried it myself, but if you could do that, it would be fine. No reason really to not allow it. But, yeah, if the game does not allow the same Sim to cap both branches, then it's a non-issue.

I never have tried it either! The plan was to quit the job after maxing the first branch and then re-join the career at the bottom, choosing the second branch when it came up. I'll have to experiment before opening a scoring file to find out if it's actually possible  :)

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
Hmmm... I tried it out on Lily Feng, who starts out at Business (Management) level 9 in a fresh game. After she quit her job and tried to apply again the next day, the only Business option in the career menu is Management hiring at level 8. There's no option to do the Investor branch or to start at the bottom of Business again. I guess I was thinking of Sims 3. Rats!

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »

I had missed that nuance — thank you for clarifying  :)

So, just to clarify (again): it doesn't matter there if the Sim is an alien or not?

Also, when managing househoulds, can we place Sims in another household? I'm thinking of a situation where I might want to move in the adults, but not the children. Could I move them in with another family?
(Feels like pushing it, but I want to ask anyway.)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 04:28:17 PM »
So, just to clarify (again): it doesn't matter there if the Sim is an alien or not?

Your two starting Sims or the Sim receiving the cheat?

Also, when managing househoulds, can we place Sims in another household? I'm thinking of a situation where I might want to move in the adults, but not the children. Could I move them in with another family?

That is pushing it too much. Manage Households is only to move Sims from one house directly into your own household.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »

The Sim receiving the cheat.

That is pushing it too much. Manage Households is only to move Sims from one house directly into your own household.

That's what I thought, thanks.

I have also send you (the challenge team) a PM. There's no rush to answer it, but I have no copy in my sent messages and that makes me a bit paranoid about whether it was sent.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2021, 05:13:46 PM »

The Sim receiving the cheat.

No, the Sim receiving the cheat does not need to be an Alien. Because of the life extension rule, your household members cannot be vampires, but other life states are fine.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 05:34:32 PM »
Clarification. There are a few careers where a reward comes in variations with the same name. For simplicity, treat these as only one reward (despite having several available in build mode or Inventory).

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »

Is moving allowed? I thought it was just this response makes me think it's not. Can we choose to move into their house instead of moving them into ours? And if so is it ok to move some of the people from that house to our old house to not have them be apart of our household? Example being the Charm family. I invited Minerva to move in with me but decide I want to move in with her so I move everyone in my household to hers and all her children into what was my household. I hope that makes sense.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »

Is moving allowed? I thought it was just this response makes me think it's not. Can we choose to move into their house instead of moving them into ours? And if so is it ok to move some of the people from that house to our old house to not have them be apart of our household? Example being the Charm family. I invited Minerva to move in with me but decide I want to move in with her so I move everyone in my household to hers and all her children into what was my household. I hope that makes sense.

Part of me wants to say yes you can do that. But, wouldn't I be contradicting myself with the answer I gave Nandarelle?

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »
That is what I thought as well but there's this also...

Perfect, thank you!

Thank you!

Let's keep it as simple as possible. This is my idea for a challenge, so my aging brain needs to keep it simple! ;) All careers allowed. Any way you want to add household members - go for it. Manage households - no restrictions. Storing the Alien powers is fine.

EDIT: By the way -- team, or anyone else with an opinion...if you feel this is too easy and too simple, then voice your opinions now so rules can be changed before this event goes live.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2021, 05:30:42 PM »
Lena responded to me in Discord and gave her two cents on the whole moving issue. If a Sim enters your "box" in Manage Households, then you have essentially put that Sim into your household. Rules state once they are in your household they cannot be removed, so let's proceed with that thinking.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2021, 06:21:11 AM »
Lena responded to me in Discord and gave her two cents on the whole moving issue. If a Sim enters your "box" in Manage Households, then you have essentially put that Sim into your household. Rules state once they are in your household they cannot be removed, so let's proceed with that thinking.

To follow up on this - Household Management IS allowed in this challenge which may be confusing for some players because in the General Rules it is banned. So, I wanted to clear that up. Just remember Lena's (and my) thoughts above - once you open up Household Management and put a Sim in, you cannot remove them.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »
I was able to get a lot played today, but won't be finishing until next week, unless I find some free time after work. 

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2021, 07:08:54 AM »
This challenge ends Sunday, so please get those scores in soon.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
This challenge ends Sunday, so please get those scores in soon.

I think it's the first time I see this message with zero scores posted so far...
This challenge takes super long, I'm still only on Tuesday of week 2 :(
Note to the team - maybe 8-sim challenges should be the Major ones in the future?

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2021, 08:01:28 AM »
I have about another a week to finish playing, but I am hoping to get it done tonight.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »

I think it's the first time I see this message with zero scores posted so far...
This challenge takes super long, I'm still only on Tuesday of week 2 :(
Note to the team - maybe 8-sim challenges should be the Major ones in the future?

I suppose it's personal preference as to how crazy you want the household to be. For sure if you want the best score you're going to need to do a ton of research and find the best Sims to bring in. I don't have that kind of time and many players do not. I'm not doing a full household to be honest. But, you're at the top of the heap and I totally get it.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
Already this sunday, ohh noeh where did my time go :O

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »
Thought I would finish tonight, but then I remembered it is Wednesday which means class tonight.  But tomorrow, maybe. :)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2021, 06:40:37 AM »
Why do I feel like my homework is due. Where has the time gone.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
I am finishing up this morning.  Should be by lunch.  It has been interesting :)

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
I’m gonna need every last human moment I can get  ;D

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2021, 09:01:37 AM »
I am finishing up this morning.  Should be by lunch.  It has been interesting :)

I'd say when you post your score you'll immediately vault into 1st place! Lol. ;)

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
...and done. 

5 job caps = 5,000 points
120 rewards X .05 = 6.00. Final multiplier = 1.00 + 6.00 = 7.00
Total = 5,000 X 7.00 = 35,000

...now I am heading back to King Arthur as I work my way through The Mists of Avalon today.

Offline kinseyam

• Nooboo
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:55 PM »
Welp, quite a long challenge and I'm excited to hear how other people approached it. I may need some careers help :P. Another fun one though, so thanks!

Careers maxed: 2 (score = 2000)
Reward items placed: 45 (multiplier =1 + 2.25 = 3.25)
Total: 6500

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2021, 08:33:19 AM »
I can't believe I'm finally done :o The score calculating alone took 3 hours!

16 job caps = 16000 points
207 rewards X .05 = 10.35. Final multiplier = 1.00 + 10.35 = 11.35
Total = 16000 X 11.35 = 181,600

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »
Oh, my gosh, Nikitachi. That's a mind-blowing score. Well done.

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »
WOW!!! That is a spectacular score @Nikitachi!!!
I am just wrapping up Week 1, so I will definitely be running out of human time and not even coming remotely close to your awesomeness  :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 10:42:55 AM »
WOW!!! That is a spectacular score @Nikitachi!!!
I am just wrapping up Week 1, so I will definitely be running out of human time and not even coming remotely close to your awesomeness  :)

This reminds me to tell everyone that it's okay to not finish the entire game time and post a score. I very well may be in that boat myself. Some challenges that does not work...you have to accomplish x and y and then post your score, and if you do not finish the goals, then it's a DNF. But, with events that finish in a certain amount of game time, then it's totally fine to post whatever you end up with.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »
Not reaching you remotely Nikitachi

But my sims maxed 13 careers: 13000
We got 165 rewards which is (165*0,05) + 1 = 9,25
Which is a total of 13000 * 9,25 = 120250

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2021, 12:41:44 PM »
Y'all's scores are awesome. I will admit maxing careers is not one of my favorites in any challenge, mostly because I never can do it quickly so I am excited to read strategies tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »
12 careers with 160 career rewards.
12000 mult by 9 equaling 108000

Rachel

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
5 careers capped with 110 rewards.

5000 X (5.50 + 1.00) = 32500

An effort worthy of a big poop emoji, but oh well. Lol.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2021, 05:47:34 PM »
Ray and Connor Aissance came to Sim-nation to collect information about the endeavour known to Sims as 'a career' to collaborate to do a lot of work for the community.

With their friends, they maxed 12 careers and collected 198 rewards.
Multiplier: 1+ 198*0.05 = 10.9
Score: 12000 * 10.9 = 130800

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »
6 careers capped with 108 rewards.

6000 X (5.40 + 1.00) = 38400

I totally spaced on using the Make Happy cheat until about halfway through, but I don't think it would have helped my score much. I still had a lot of fun with this.

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
Seven careers capped 7 x 1000 = 7000

104 rewards 104 x .05 = 5.2 + 1 = 6.2

7000 x 6.2 = 43400

I really learned a lot about the careers that I didn't know before.  It was fun and very chaotic with so many Sims living under the same roof.
Cynthia

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2021, 09:04:38 PM »
Yep — I ran out of human time - had to stop my Sims on Wednesday of Week 2.

Beldar & Prymatt Conehead and their household capped 5 Careers (5 X 1,000 = 5,000) and placed 120 unique career rewards (120 X .05 = 6.00 + 1.00 = 7.00).

5,000 X 7.00 = 35,000

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2021, 05:59:19 AM »
This event is now closed.

A small field for sure, but unfortunately I have a feeling that that may be the case for many events in 2021. Players want Sims 5. We'll see. :) Nonetheless, thanks to all participants and grats to Nikitachi on the win. Everyone can now share their strategy.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2021, 06:06:22 AM »
So, first of all, I started by assembling an Excel spreadsheet with all the careers and their levels, and counted the amount of awards each level gives. Then I made a pivot table to see the totals and arranged it by descending order. My goal was 2 full careers for each sim, plus a few more levels for each of them where possible. It was quite a surprise to learn that some careers give zero ‘physical’ rewards or only a couple. Most of the careers give six to thirteen… but the amazing one is the Detective career which gives (drumroll) 54!!! Too bad that it’s an ‘active’ one, I thought. But I decided to give it a try in the practice run.
Then, as usual, I examined my long-existing Excel spreadsheet with all townies’ info to choose the best townies. This time, I couldn’t take Elders, so I skipped Jacques Villareal even though he’s a level 9 Criminal, and initially chose Lily Feng (Business - Management 9), Baako Jang (Entertainer – Comedian 9)*Anaya Jang (Painter – Master of the Real 9)*, Penny Pizzass (Social media – Internet Personality 8 ), Raj Rasoya (Culinary – Chef 7) and Octavia Moon (Writer – Author 6). There are more townies with levels 8 or 9, but these are the careers that give very few rewards.
*yes, they have a child daughter, but I came to their place and gave her a birthday cake so she could become a teen and stay alone – I asked about the cake beforehand and was allowed to use it.

Then I tried to do a practice run, but soon realized that the active career of the Detective is just impossible. Not only the active career ruins all the others sims’ work performance when you ‘accompany’ your detective at work, but also it’s too hard to get a promotion at, because they just don’t give you the full task of catching the crime every day, and you need these closed cases count for the promotion. After more than a week, my detective sim only got one promotion (maybe the fact that it was actually my very first time of playing as a detective played its role too, but still). So I thought I have to give up on this strategy… but then I got an eureka moment :D
When you play as a detective, the game generates you some colleagues, one of which is a boss. I thought that a boss should logically have a high level in the career, so I tried to befriend him and invite him to live together (I had to remove one sim from my household, but it was still in my practice run). And it turned out that the boss is level 10, and I instantly got all 54 rewards!!!
So, in my real game run, I decided to skip Penny Pizzass, because she had to get 25 million followers from zero, and it took too long, wasting precious days. Instead, I started with only 7 sims and waited for one of my aliens to go to work as a detective. There could be a problem though if a game generated an Elder boss, but I got lucky – there was a YA one, a perfectly young strong man named Karim Jawad! So I befriended him and invited him to our household, and the Detective career was done in a second :D
_____
As for the basic gameplay process, there isn’t anything special. It’s just a routine where you just have to be very slow and concentrated. For the best possible work performance, I used the following:
-   I made all my 8 sims have a spouse from their household. The Aliens, Alf and Proxima Centaura, were already created married, as well as Anaya and Baako Jang; Raj married Lily who had to dump her Victor (and both Lily and Raj are Unflirty so I had to buy them a potion from the rewards store which allows you to choose other traits – it costs 5000 satisfaction points so it was quite hard to do because it had to be done fast). Octavia had to wait a couple of days before Karim arrived, then she dumped her Thorne and married Karim. Everyone bought the Great Kisser reward (with the help of the Soulmate aspiration that goes along with all that stuff well), and leveled Charisma to level 10 so they could ask for bonus. I started using this opportunity only at careers level 7 and up because levels 4-6 are doable without the bonus. I also watched the calendar wisely, taking into account that sometimes the schedule differs within two career levels, and it’s useless to use a bonus if you get a day off afterwards, but you have a working day if you don’t promote – it’s easier than just to go to work twice in a row and get promoted naturally.
-   Everyone always went to work in a “very” mood that would last for the whole shift – I mainly used the Massage table and various aromatherapy massages for that. Also they drank a mood potion just before the shift. I only had difficulties with Baako Jang because he worked in careers requiring the Playful mood which has no potion, and can also result in dying from hysteria – and the catch is that he HAD to be hysterical to get enough work performance. But he survived, tough guy :D
-   I also used the Crystal crown with a hematite crystal, making them all wear one just before going to work. And I bought them a new crystal for every new day, so they always had a fresh and powerful one.
-   After about a week, they all naturally got the Workaholic lifestyle (from the Snowy Escape expansion). But I’m still not sure how helpful it is – I have a feeling that it does nothing. Maybe I’m wrong though.
-   Of course, everyone had Connections and Entrepreneurial rewards.
-   At the free time, they all leveled Programming and used Hack work performance if really needed.
-   Some sims had some Fame (Octavia is level 3 from the beginning, and some others got fame when working via chance cards/social media account/etc.). If they had at least level 1 and a half, I made them paint, then sold the paintings while wearing a crystal crown with a Diamond that doubles fame, and got them to level 3. At this level, you can buy a perk that allows you to donate items for fame. They then donated a bunch of expensive computers and within a few sim minutes got up to level 5 fame, which, in its turn, gives a work performance boost if you choose a corresponding perk.
_____
In total, here are my 8 sims and the careers they capped:
Alf Centaura (first Alien): Military – Covet Operator, then Secret Agent – Diamond Agent
Proxima Centaura (second Alien): Detective (quit immediately after inviting the boss), then Tech Guru – eSports Gamer, then Engineer – Computer Engineer
Lily Feng: Business – Management, then Criminal – Oracle, then Athlete – Pro Athlete (in the very last day!)
Anaya Jang: Painter – Master of the Real, then Gardener – Florist
Baako Jang: Entertainer – Comedian, then Social Media – Internet Personality
Octavia Moon: Writer – Author, then Style Influencer – Stylist
Raj Rasoya: Culinary – Chef (and that’s it for him -_- I was stupid enough to choose Doctor as his second career, and then realized I can’t get promotions without accompanying him for the whole shift that would cost me all the other sims’ promotions on that day. So he only got promoted once in two weeks)
Karim Jawad: Detective (instantly), then Astronaut - Interstellar Smuggler

Most of the sims also started a third career, but I don’t think it matters much who had which because they all could take any career at that point, I just chose by schedule. And last but not least, just before the end of the game, Octavia started and quit all the previously untouched careers to get some low-level rewards.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2021, 06:40:45 AM »
Wow, Nikitachi. What a great amount of detail. Grats again, on the win. This may finally be your big breakout year where you win it all at the end of November. I just looked at the last few World Rankings in the Graveyard -- 2nd in 2020, 2nd in 2019, and 4th in 2018. Yeah...you must be itching to finally get the top spot. We'll see. :)

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Amazing strategy Nikitachi. Genius thinking on befriending the Detective boss.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
My strategy was very similar to Nikitachi but not executed as well as it could have been. I have recently been playing the supersim challenge for fun which helped with the career aspect. I probably should have planned better but my initial thought was that city living had a lot of residents who were quite high up in their careers so I just went with that.

Rachel

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »
Nikitachi, congratulations on a well-deserved win.

My Sims were Ray & Connor (the aliens), Raj Rasoya, Penny Pizzazz, Lily and Victor Feng, Baako Jang and also the head detective (Manami, she was an adult in my game).
Penny was able to gain lots of followers quickly by livestreaming games. You can do this for as short as you want, and you get roughly the same amount of followers, ca 700,000. So, as long as you're willing to micromanage you can get many followers nearly instantly.
Victor Feng has the worst career in the whole game for this challenge, but I still chose him. Partly for the money, and partly because I thought a quick career cap would still be benificial (I was probably wrong about this - it took him longer than I thought).

I briefly moved my household to the largest house in Brindleton Bay to complete most of Mansion Baron for everyone, and then to an empty lot, where I built a tiny house. I had weather settings that excluded rain and snow, so all skilling items, including electronics, were outside (I was lucky not to get suprise weather). Indoors was just bathrooms. Fun fact: you can get the indoors lifestyle when spending 95% of your time outdoors - as long as you do 'indoorsy' stuff.
I also set up a holiday every day where the only tradition is to wear costumes. This way, everybody gets a +3 happy moodlet that, with the tiny house bonus, lasts the whole day. I also used good meals (thanks to Raj's culinary requirements) and baths to get everyone in a good mood. I got a wedding arch, but everyone was already happy enough that I didn't even use it much.
I used the needs cheat a few times, but not much. Basically, if someone met their career requirements, they were allowed to sleep. I also used the crystals for needs and fame. Frequently, they also used the hematite crystal for career progress, but I'm not really convinced that it does anything.
In the beginning, I let everyone max charisma to be able to negotiate for a bonus. Later, I let them paint or write to gain fame. The perks in rank 4 and 5 are very powerful for this challenge.
However, I did not realise how powerful the donate item interaction was, so I did not use it, and really only had some fame benefits at the end of the challenge.
While everyone was in very good moods, I didn't get them in the 'ideal' mood for their careers (just for skilling). I thought this disappeared in a patch, but now I'm starting to doubt myself - was it reintroduced maybe?
Either way, my Sims didn't usually get promoted in a single shift.
The careers they maxed (or get quite far with) were:

Ray Aissance: Floral designer (after joining the detective career briefly)
Connor Aissance: Scientist, Boss (level 7 )
Victor Feng: Politician, Secret Agent - Supervillain (level 8 )
Lily Feng: Management, Tech Guru - eSporter
Raj Rasoya: Chef, Painter - patron of the arts
Penny: Internet personality, Space ranger (level 9 )
Baako Jang: Comedian, Author, Botanist (level 8 )
Manami: Detective, Military - Covert Operator, Stylist (level 8 )

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »
Oof. I really admire you all who were able to finish this one. What with "quarantine brain" I found that I just didn't have the focus to play a household of 8 adult Sims with all different careers at the moment - it's easier when several of them are children/teens and have basically the same work schedules.

Maybe another time!

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
Ha, I was thinking that I couldn't have done this challenge without lockdown.
My quarantine brain is such that whenever I think that a household chore or something needs to be done, I play the Sims instead.
It sure was a lot though.

Offline Delokkpsi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2021, 05:18:00 PM »
Wow, Nikitachi, great job! I thought of recruiting the Chief to join my household, but in my practice run when I added the Chief to the household none of her rewards came with her. I tried to run my Alien through the detective career and, you're right, that is next to impossible in just 3 weeks.

The Congratulations to everyone who finished the challenge. Sadly I failed this challenge miserably, but I had fun doing it.   

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »
Congratulations Nikitachi!

Basically, if someone met their career requirements, they were allowed to sleep.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Any other week, this would have been my favorite sentence of the week.  (This week, it loses to "I'm not a cat."  But it's still a great sentence.)

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2021, 03:49:29 AM »
I thought of recruiting the Chief to join my household, but in my practice run when I added the Chief to the household none of her rewards came with her

Wow that's unfair :( Sorry to hear that.
But you could just buy them after that, actually. Metro said it's fine as long as something gets unlocked.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2021, 02:46:30 AM »
Time is a strange thing for me in these periodes. So i ment to write some comments to this just after it ended and now, yeah time just flew somehow again.

The sims i chose where not to much different compared to Nikitachi, except i forgot that i could have aged up Billie before moving in her parents.
And then I had Penny instead of Octavia.
The trick with the Detective is a nice one, and i was also lucky here and got at YA Chief to join my household.

Where i did not perform as perfectly as Nikitachi was planning what careers they all should tackle as the second one. When the first one was complete i simply just jumped in and looked at which ones they would fit for that had alot of rewards. And i think i should have thought more about working hours/days etc.

But congrats Nikitachi :)

anything