Author Topic: The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty
« on: April 15, 2023, 05:11:35 PM »
The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty

Introduction: A Star[aby] Is Born

I created Astrid Staraby back in 2017, when I was new to The Sims 3. She was the founder of my very first legacy, the only legacy I’ve ever played all the way through to ten generations. The Starabys lived in Sunset Valley, and over ten generations, they worked through my checklists of base game skills, careers, and Lifetime Wishes. The original Astrid is lost to history (or rather to an old laptop), but I recently found her CAS screenshot and one chapter of her story on an old blog. I also unearthed my old Sims notebook full of detailed charts and notes for this family. Thumbing through those softened pages, I was overwhelmed with nostalgia. And thus I screamed into the universe, “FINE, I’ll do a Staraby dynasty already!!!”

The new Astrid (whom you'll meet in a minute) is based on the original, but her appearance (by necessity) isn't exactly the same. Her favorites are the same, and I know this because they are my real-life favorites: classical music, mac and cheese, and the color green.

I've been wanting to do a 4x4 dynasty for years, but I've always been intimidated by the length and complexity of the challenge. In terms of dynasty difficulty, this one seems to be pretty high up! But now that I've completed an immortal dynasty and a life states dynasty (which I technically failed but let's not talk about that), I feel like completing this one might be within the realm of possibility.

So here we are!

Family Tree (coming eventually)

Heirs & Stats

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Table of Contents

Prologue (Part 1)
Prologue (Part 2)

World #1 - Dragon Valley

Chapter 1 - The Land of Dragons & Unhelpful Townies
Chapter 2 - Sunshine & Shade
Chapter 3 - The Joy Underneath
Chapter 4 - Fresh as a Daisy
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #1
Chapter 5 - Lists
Chapter 6 - Circling
Chapter 7 - By the Flagon
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #2
Chapter 8 - Knees On The Ground
Chapter 9 - Older & Wiser
Chapter 10 - Neon Peas
A Staraby Family History
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #3
Chapter 11 - Knights & Ladies

Offline Beks

• Immortal
Re: The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 05:13:22 PM »
Prologue (Part 1)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Sunny was shelving books. It was a clear, sunny Sunday, like any other Sunday in Sunset Valley. The library was quiet. Some days, this place was hopping with locals seeking their next read, socializing with friends, or trying to skill up in the serene atmosphere of study and focus. Some days, Sunny worked nonstop, helping patrons with research and running the circulation desk and fixing broken printers. Then there was all the cataloging and behind-the-scenes collections work. Some days, Sunny hardly had a moment to breathe.

But some days - like today - Sunny found herself with what looked to be an empty day stretching ahead of her. She’d spent the morning returning books to their proper places and checking that nothing else had been moved to the wrong spot. After returning The Secret History of Lost Lemuria by Grigori Blavatsky to the historical section and The Dragon’s Age by Rui Yi to the fantasy section, Sunny turned and found that her stack of books had dwindled to nothing. She sighed. Already? Maybe she could tidy up the children’s area again. Yesterday (another slow day) she’d even sewn up a small tear on the teddy bear’s overalls. Or she hadn’t dusted the biography section upstairs in a while…

Sunny headed back to the front desk. She was startled to find a woman waiting in the foyer. A woman she’d never seen in Sunset Valley before.

The woman had golden-brown hair and grey eyes, and she looked a bit…lost. Or sad. Or something. Good heavens, what was that look on her face?

Sunny quickly turned on her best how-can-I-help-you smile. “Oh, hi there!” she said. “Sorry, I didn’t hear you come in. What can I do for you?”

“My name’s Astrid,” the woman said. “And I have a bit of a weird local history question.”
“I love weird local history questions,” said Sunny. And she meant it. This day was starting to feel a little less boring.

“It’s sort of a long story,” said Astrid. “But first I should ask - how much do you know about Sunset Valley history? Beyond the standard Landgraab and Goth and Alto stories, I mean.”

“I certainly know a lot about those,” said Sunny. “But you’re right, those stories are pretty well known. A lot of other families have lived in Sunset Valley over the years. Too many to count or keep record of.”

Astrid’s face fell. “So…so my question is: if a family lived here a long time ago, but disappeared without a trace…you wouldn’t know anything about them?”

Ah. Sunny had an idea of where this was going. She peered carefully into the young woman’s face. “You’re a legacy Sim, aren’t you?”

Astrid looked like she was about to burst into tears, so Sunny switched into librarian-but-also-therapist mode. “Tell me everything,” she said.

Astrid began. “Yes, I am a legacy Sim. Or I was, a long time ago. I lived here, in Sunset Valley, and I fell in love and had children and a career and…well, I…I don’t remember. That’s the problem. I just appeared here this morning and it’s like everything started over. I have no memories, no skills - I don’t even remember anyone’s names, except my own.”
“We Sims have a way of doing that,” said Sunny.
“Doing what?”
“Popping into existence with no memories of anything. It’s interesting that you remember that you had a past, though.”
“I do. In fact, I think my family had a fairly long history here. Many generations.”

“What did you say your name was?” Sunny asked.
“Astrid. Astrid Staraby. And I believe I was the first Staraby out of many.”

Sunny blinked. She wasn’t expecting it, but the name did ring a bell. “Can you hold on one second?” she said. “Feel free to take a seat, by the way.”
“Of course. Thank you.”

Sunny crossed the room to her trusty computer and did a few quick searches. Yes, she remembered now. She had seen a few mentions of Starabys before, in her studies of other local families. She skimmed the first article that came up. It was a story from an old blog, about a young woman getting her start in an empty field up on Summer Hill Court…

The article didn’t say much, but it was a start. Astrid had found a chair in the next room; Sunny went to join her.

“So here’s the thing,” Sunny began. “Countless families, as I said, have come to Sunset Valley and created long and illustrious histories here. Some of those stories are recorded, and thus remembered. But many, many stories are not. Or they might be partly recorded, or jotted in snippets…you get what I’m saying. It’s just the nature of history that not everything can be remembered.

“But I did find one article, from a totally different timeline than this one. It’s sort of an introductory profile of you, Astrid. It contains a few key facts: You lived at 15 Summer Hill Court. You married Leighton Sekemoto. And you were a journalist.”

Astrid’s eyes lit up, glistening with interest. “Really?!” she said. “You discovered all of that in one article?!”

“It’s not much,” said Sunny sheepishly. Usually people yelled at her when she could only find one article about something. “Does it bring back any memories?”
Astrid hesitated, then looked sad again. “No,” she said. “I don’t remember anything else. But it’s wonderful to know that I really did live here. I just wish I could find out more.”

“Well, there might be more information to find. I can’t promise anything, but I think I remember coming across the name Staraby a few times in my research. If you’d like, I could keep looking.”

“Oh, would you?! That would be so good of you, um…”
“Sunny. Sunny Bakshi.”
“I can’t thank you enough, Sunny. I just don’t know…”
“Don’t know what?”

“I don’t know what I should do in the meantime.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 05:14:42 PM »
Prologue (Part 2)

Sunny watched Astrid in silence for a moment. Astrid’s gaze wandered over the bookshelves. She was obviously a fellow Bookworm. And maybe Over-Emotional, based on that dreamy, longing look on her face. And she looked so alone, and...maybe a little out of place, in that flowery outfit. Sunny had known a lot of legacy Sims in her immeasurable lifetimes. And while she truly wasn’t sure if there was anything to be found in the Sunset Valley archives about the long-lost Staraby family…well, she could try, couldn’t she?

“I don’t know if you want my advice,” Sunny said, “But I have some.”
“Oh, please! I’d love to know what you think,” said Astrid eagerly.

“Well, you’re a legacy Sim, right? And you have a history as part of a legacy family. But that story is lost to history - at least for right now. We may not be able to learn anything else about your family’s past, so…why not start a new story instead?”

Astrid looked interested. “You mean like a new legacy?”

“Sure. Or, even better…a new dynasty.” Sunny went through a quick mental list. “There are all kinds of legacies and dynasties, but maybe you’d benefit from one that would give you a wide variety of experiences. You and your family could work together to try and remember what your descendants - er, ancestors? - did in the past.”

“Yes!” said Astrid. “Maybe if I make a fresh start, learn some skills, try some new things…it will unlock some memories.”
“It’s worth trying,” Sunny said with a smile. “And this way, even if we can’t find any other histories of the Starabys, you’ll have a new history. You’ll be the writer of your own story.”

Astrid’s eyes had filled with hope, and also tears. How many times a day did this woman cry? “Oh, Sunny, how can I ever thank you for this? You’ve given me hope - and a new life!”
“Don’t mention it,” Sunny said cheerfully. “I’m happy to have a new project to work on. By the way, we should probably go over some ground rules. All dynasties have them.”

Astrid settled back into her chair. “I’m ready. Hit me with the ground rules!”

Sunny stifled a laugh. Typical dynasty Sim.

“Okay," Sunny explained. "So we’re in one timeline right now. When you start a new dynasty, you’ll be in a different timeline. Time will run faster for you than it will for me, which means I’ll be able to keep researching your family history even as multiple generations unfold in your time.”
“Why…why does time run so much slower for you?”

“Archivist privileges. And dynasty timelines are always a bit more constrained than other timelines. You’ll have to ask the Grim Reaper for details on that whole thing.”

Astrid looked like she wasn’t interested in asking the Grim Reaper for details on that whole thing.

“I suggest you start in a brand-new world,” Sunny continued. “You do have some choice when it comes to the location of your dynasty, and each world has its own timeline as well. You might want to choose a place that goes far back in Sim Nation history, for example. Actually…I think you’d be a great candidate for a 4x4 dynasty. You’ll have sixteen generations in which to accomplish tasks, master careers and skills, collect various items, and take ownership of a given world’s properties and buildings. Lots of room for variety. Plus, that will give me extra time for research in this timeline.”

“So you’ll be doing research…even after I’m dead?”
“For as long as the dynasty lasts. I can dig into newspapers, local history books, blogs, archival collections…” Sunny could feel the research itch already. “Why don’t you start looking for a world to start off in, and I’ll pull together the dynasty details?”

Sunny and Astrid spent the rest of the day preparing for their new project. Astrid pored over atlases and travel books until she found a world that piqued her interest - one that had one of the oldest timelines out of all the timelines. Thumbing through stories of medieval history and whispers of dragons, she began to feel a giddy sense of excitement. Sunny looked through directories of the world’s residents and created lists of potential helpers, spouses, and friends.

The sun was setting by the time their work was done.

“Okay, Astrid, I’ve compiled all the dynasty rules, and I’ve also written out some instructions so that your descendants can contact me. I’ll keep researching as the generations pass, and I’ll send any updates along the way.”

“Wait.” Staraby’s eyes got bigger than Sunny had ever seen them. “You’re going to correspond with my descendants? You can be like...our long-term family pen pal!”
Sunny laughed. “Yes, I suppose I can.”

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Astrid said. “I came in here feeling completely lost and purposeless this morning, and now, I’m off to start a new dynasty while you research my lost history! I’m so glad I met you, Sunny Bakshi.”

“Make sure you write to me and tell me what your family gets up to,” said Sunny.
“I will,” said Astrid. “I know I’ve forgotten pretty much everything ever, but…l’ll never forget you, Sunny.”

Astrid waved on her way out the door, off to take a cab - or maybe some sort of combination plane/time machine - to an entirely new world. Sunny watched her go. It had been a long day of talking and planning and researching. She went through her closing checklist, making sure the library was tidy and secure for a new day tomorrow.

Astrid stood out on the library’s brick porch, overwhelmed with emotion and a new sense of purpose. A new dynasty! This time tomorrow, she’d be in a new world, with new people and a new life and a million things to do. The magic of it was almost too much to handle. And although it was a complete beginning, it felt a little like coming home.

Meanwhile Sunny, this time tomorrow, would be waist-deep in a whole new archival research project. She couldn’t wait. “Good luck, Starabys,” she whispered into the dusk.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 05:15:55 PM »
Chapter 1 - The Land of Dragons & Unhelpful Townies

And so the Starabys - well, just one Staraby so far - descended upon Dragon Valley, a misty, mountainous world with a deep history and whispers of magic. Also dragons. That eerie sound in the wind…was it dragons?! Astrid, sniffing through the open window of the cab, hoped that it was dragons.

The cab deposited Astrid on the empty lot she’d purchased just outside of town. Alone on the green land with nought but rocks for company, Astrid found herself feeling a little bit lost. Still, this was home. She would build a life here, and start a family that would last for sixteen generations after her. It was a lot to take in.

Especially for Astrid, who was Over-Emotional. But she was also Ambitious, Family Oriented, a Bookworm, and a Dog Person, with a love for classical music, mac & cheese, and green. Her Lifetime Wish, Swimming in Cash, was a bit less romantic than she would have preferred, but as a dynasty Sim, she couldn’t be too picky.

After a few minutes spent gazing forlornly into the distance, Astrid called another cab. She had errands to run and no other form of transportation.

“Wow, it’s so beautiful here…and quiet. And all these ancient forests! Where are we going?”
“Didn’t you ask me to take you to the McCann household?”
“Oh, right.”

Astrid’s top priority in these first few days was to assemble a household to help her get started. The highest priority of all was to find a spouse - something Astrid was both excited about and completely overwhelmed by. But Sunny had given her a list of residents and townies to talk to about joining the household, and said that the town was bursting with eligible men to be wooed. Still, Astrid decided to procrastinate on the finding-a-man thing and talk to the sweet old lady with helpful skills first.

Lorna McCann lived in, yes, a quiet part of Dragon Valley - though Astrid couldn’t help but suspect that the whole world had a quietness to it that was unlike other worlds. She met Lorna outside her little stone cottage and liked her immediately. Lorna practically jumped for joy at the prospect of a new opportunity to be useful and busy in her old age. Plus, she was a Neurosurgeon at the hospital, which would bring in good money.

Lorna’s traits were Natural Cook, Good, Genius, Green Thumb, and Friendly, and she liked classical music, fruit parfaits, and spice brown. Her Lifetime Wish was to be a Culinary Librarian, and she joined the household with high skills in cooking and logic.

Another perk about Lorna: she was acquaintances with one particular Sim on Sunny’s list.

“I have always wanted to be your friend, Mr. Flanagan! How would you like to leave everything you’ve ever known to come live on an empty plot with two strange women?”

“Let’s discuss this inside, Ms. McCann. Maybe…in my bedroom?”

Okay, that was unexpected. In any case, whether because Quinn Flanagan had a thing for elderly doctors or not, the household soon became three. Quinn was Excitable, Friendly, Charismatic, and a Genius with a Good Sense of Humor, and he liked kids music, cookies, and Irish green. His LTW was to be a Star News Anchor - and he was already halfway there, being an Investigative Reporter.

Astrid spent the rest of the day wandering around town, looking for homeless townies. Many of them were said to be highly skilled, with excellent traits and interesting genetics. Sunny had said that they were hard to find, but that if you knew one, you could more easily find the others.

“I’ll tell you a secret, Miss Staraby. You’re going to spend days chatting up homeless townies before you find someone you like. Also, we all live in annoyingly small households instead of one big one, so moving in your target Sim will be like finding a needle in a haystack. Good luck and welcome to Dragon Valley!”

Purple-everything Michael McCarthy was a rather flaky guy who ran off five minutes after spilling this piping hot tea into Astrid’s ear, and Astrid failed to locate him again. She went to a new community lot and tried again.

“How DARE you try to woo me with talk of babies and dynasty requirements! I am not some piece of meat up for sale at the butcher’s! I’m a paparazzi, for watcher’s sake!”

Dermot Cullen refused to interact with Astrid again for the rest of the day. This was going really well!

By nightfall, Astrid was exhausted, hungry, and in desperate need of a shower. Fortunately, a few basic amenities had sprung up at 64 Oak Grove while she was out. Thanks to the few funds that Lorna and Quinn brought to the household, they could afford some bunk beds, a fridge, and an enclosed bathroom.

After gulping down some juice and using the facilities, Astrid crawled into bed, weary and discouraged. She only had three more days in which to produce an heir, and so far she’d made no progress with any of the Sims she’d been interested in. She would have lain awake wondering how she was going to tell Sunny that she’d failed - but luckily she was too exhausted to stay awake at all.

Monday morning dawned. Quinn grabbed a bowl of cereal from the fridge, then headed off to his job at the newspaper office.

Lorna went the green salad route, then cheerfully hobbled away for her shift at the hospital.

Astrid choked down some canned soup and tried to psyche herself up for another day of spouse hunting. All she needed to do was befriend one homeless townie - then she’d be able to choose potential spouses from amongst the other townies. At least, she hoped that was how it would work. Quinn and Lorna had also promised to help out once they’d finished work that day. All she had to do was socialize for several hours! No big deal!

She finally found a Sim she got along with who was working at Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries. Ellen Curren wasn’t on Sunny’s list, but she was a homeless townie, so maybe she’d know someone useful. Astrid spent the whole day chatting with her, joking around, even venting a little about her difficulties with finding household members. They got all the way up to good friends before Astrid realized that she couldn’t ask Ellen to move in. It simply wasn’t an option. “Oh, of course I can’t move in with you,” said Ellen. “I am chained to this cash register 24/7. Sorry, did you think I’d be able to help you or something?”

A whole day wasted. How was Astrid going to find someone at this rate?

In the end, it was Quinn who saved the day. With his bubbly personality and rapidly-growing charisma skill, he made quick work of befriending one of the paparazzi he ran into after work. John Fallon moved in briefly and agreed to call around among his townie friends to see if any of them were particularly hot, skilled, and interested.

It will forever remain unknown what exactly John said to Dinny Kelly about Astrid, but whatever he said, it worked. Hearts flew from all the way across town (Astrid was still at the elixir shop).

So John Fallon moved out and Dinny moved in, taking the role of knight in shining armor. Dinny’s traits were Ambitious, Brave, Family Oriented, Heavy Sleeper, and Virtuoso, and his LTW was to become a Professional Author. He also arrived with high skills in guitar, athletics, fishing, and logic.

And so they became a household of four. Everyone crashed exhausted into bed that night, but the next morning, Quinn and Dinny were both up early to eat breakfast, do the dishes, and get to know each other.

“So that woman in the bed over there is Astrid, right? She’s really beautiful. Are you a potential spouse too?”
“I’m more interested in Lorna, actually.”
“The…the old woman?”
“Yes.”

Astrid slept until the boys were finishing breakfast. Her first interaction with Dinny was a routing error - that’s how most great love stories start, right?

Once the dishes were washed, Astrid hesitantly approached the tall, muscular, chiseled man wearing armor at 9 in the morning on a Tuesday.

“Hi, um, Dinny? I’m Astrid Staraby. Well, you probably already knew that…Quinn said he told you everything, so…um, this is kind of awkward, but - well, you probably know that I have to - um - that I need to have a baby really soon. Actually I need to be pregnant by the end of the day tomorrow. And um - I can’t believe I’m asking this but - would you maybe want to - um - I don’t know, like go to the park and get to know each other better?”

“I think I would have to be out of my mind to say no to you, Astrid.”

Actually he’d just have to be unplayable. Which, thankfully, he was not.

Author’s Notes
- Getting this household together was SUCH a struggle. I mean, we obviously managed it and even had a little time to spare, but getting even one homeless townie to stick around long enough for a five minute conversation was like pulling dragon’s teeth.
- Dermot Cullen (the green-haired paparazzi who yelled at Astrid) was actually my top choice for spouse among the homeless townies, kind of. He had an easy Lifetime Wish, good traits, and high cooking skill, and he was very nice-looking to boot. Unfortunately, he…you know…yelled at Astrid. That took him out of the running pretty quickly.
- Dinny Kelly was not exactly a top choice for spouse because his LTW, Professional Author, would use up some writing skill challenges that I want to keep open for future heirs. But fate had other ideas. Before this, I briefly played a test file with Astrid in Dragon Valley, just getting a feel for the town and checking out spouse possibilities. Dinny was assigned to the consignment store in that file. When Astrid met him, they fell for each other immediately. When I started the actual game and he showed up in John Fallon’s list of household members, I decided to move him in just to see if the sparks flew again, and they did! Astrid didn’t really connect with anyone, in either file, except for Dinny. It doesn’t hurt that he’s extremely good-looking. Like, extremely. We’ll still try to get a large tombstone out of him one day (maybe by changing his LTW), but even if that doesn’t happen, I’m sure he’ll produce very beautiful children. Welcome, Dinny! :)
- The abundance of interesting and beautiful Sims in this town is absolutely ridiculous. I was OVERWHELMED. This town is also just beautiful in general and I’m obsessed. I’d only played here once before (with Hugh Grey and Nessie Lochlan - a 10/10 experience). Now I’m not sure I ever want to play anywhere else. Just kidding I can’t wait for gen 4 and gen 8 and gen 12 lol
- I've got quite a backlog of chapters for this story, which I will try to get posted within the next few days (before I start a new job and my schedule becomes insane). Apologies for the veritable flood incoming. :)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »
Chapter 2 - Sunshine & Shade

Astrid and Dinny took a quick cab ride to the park in the center of the village. Astrid, knowing her time was limited, tried a rather dramatic pickup line on the hunky neon-red-haired gentleman standing before her. Said hunky neon-red-haired gentleman ate that pickup line right up, whatever it was.

“I can’t believe how easy this is, Dinny. It’s almost like…like I already knew you, and loved you, somehow.”
“I feel the same way, Astrid. It’s similar to how I feel about working retail.”
“What?”
“I just have this feeling that I used to work as a cashier or something. Never mind.”

By early afternoon, the sun had broken through the branches of the trees overhead, and Astrid and Dinny shared their first kiss.

Meanwhile, in the shade of a different tree at the park, Quinn (who had a day off from work) spotted a magician throwing rose petals around in puffs of smoke.

She had greyish-purple hair, bright silvery eyes, and a rather entrancing “I’m about to blow your mind and I dare you to question me” expression on her face.

“I’m about to make your gold coin…

…DISAPPEAR!”

“Good heavens! I do believe I’ve just found the next member of the Staraby household.”

Dinny and Astrid escaped home during this time. Lorna was still at work and Quinn was dutifully stalling the magician at the park, so they had a little time to themselves to complete a certain requirement. Fortunately, they were both more than happy to do it.

“...so you’d probably be, like, a gardener most of the time, and maybe do some cooking and help raise little Staraby babies…”
“I am already at level 7 of both gardening and cooking. I’m also great at kissing!”
“Really! Oh, um…well, sounds like you’ll be a great fit then.”

Nuala O’Ryan agreed to move in, bringing her unbearably cute face and some very useful skills with her. Her traits were Excitable, Great Kisser, Loves the Outdoors, Neat, and Virtuoso, and her LTW was Master of the Arts. Her favorites were classical music, fruit parfaits, and violet.

The household was growing, and it wasn’t over yet! That same day, Astrid fulfilled her long-held wish to adopt a dog.

Petal was no bigger than her hot dog chew toy, but she had a bright future ahead of her as the official Staraby hunting dog.

Nuala stopped by The Local Grocer to buy some produce to start a garden. Since her skill was so high already, she was able to buy and plant one of everything, covering a section of the yard with little mounds of soil.

Dinny joined the music career, mostly to have something to do. Like Astrid, Dinny was quite limited in what he could bring to the household in terms of skills. He was allowed to play the guitar for work, though. (And he was already bomb at it.)

Other than work, cleaning, and socializing, Dinny and Astrid didn’t have a lot to do. So they spent a fair amount of time relaxing in each other's company under the clear, suspiciously dragon-free sky. (Dinny said it had been that way for centuries. Astrid couldn't help but feel a little forlorn about that fact.)

A day or so later, Astrid was at the library with Lorna and Quinn when she was hit with a wave of sickness.

“Oh, heavens, I feel…I feel flushed! Nauseous! Faint in both heart and head! This must be the end of everything! I must be dying! Am I dying?!”

She was not dying. She was just pregnant with the very first heir of the Staraby 4x4 Dynasty!

“Do you think our baby will inherit my insanely aqua eyes?!”
“Oh, Dinny, I hope so!”

Time would tell. Dinny took good care of his wife romantic interest throughout her pregnancy. The family was even able to scrape together enough cash to send Astrid to the spa for an afternoon.

They also had enough cash to purchase a SwiftGro Gardening Station.

“Astrid, this is AMAZING! I get to talk to my plants and water my plants and fertilize my plants, just with the push of a button!”
“Yeah, but your new composter is IN my WAY!”

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 10:36:11 AM »
Chapter 3 - The Joy Underneath

The Staraby campsite was humming along. The whole campsite thing, though, was getting old fast. Five people plus a dog struggled to keep up with their competing needs, get rested in time for work shifts, and find things to do for fun. The household really needed some more funds, especially since Petal was still too young to hunt for gems and metals.

Quinn, the family socializer, got invited to a party at Bradan MacGrath’s castle. He worked his magic on the middle-aged stadium star and somehow, with his pure jesterly wit, managed to convince him to move in and pool his generous bank account with the Starabys’ empty one.

You can tell I moved in Bradan for his money and nothing else, because I never even got a CAS screenshot of him. (Sorry, Bradan.) But his traits were Athletic, Can’t Stand Art, Commitment Issues, Hot-Headed, and Snob, and he liked kids music, autumn salad, and orange. His LTW was to become a Superstar Athlete - and he was only one promotion away from achieving it.

Once Bradan tearfully sold his fancy car, 64 Oak Grove finally transformed into something like a home.

The new house was no mansion, but there was enough space for everyone to function without constant routing issues. Astrid decorated it in her favorite springtime-y colors and patterns, with many nods to Dragon Valley’s intricate medieval style.

Petal had her adult birthday on the edge of the garden. The family's financial future just got a lot brighter.

A very pregnant Astrid taught little Petal to hunt for the prettiest possible gems. (And the most valuable...but mostly the prettiest.)

It was Petal who witnessed Astrid going into labor just a few hours later.

World Renowned Surgeon Lorna was working a late shift at the hospital. Astrid had been dreaming of a home birth, assisted by Dragon Valley’s mysteriously magical old healer…but she was stuck with an overexcited Nuala instead.

“I can’t believe I get to drive you to the hospital! I didn’t think you’d even want me within fifty feet of you because I get so excited! Are you having contractions yet?! Does it hurt?! Can you walk okay?! Do you need help climbing into the car?! I can--”
“Nuala, PLEASE just get me to Lorna!”

Nuala managed to calm herself down enough to get both of them safely to the hospital. And just before midnight, a brand-new Staraby entered the world.

The emotions were a little too much for Astrid. Instead of looking rapt and starry-eyed over the birth of her son, she just kind of shut down and looked like she wanted to crawl into a hole. Even so, her moodlets revealed the joy underneath. Welcome to the world, Leif Staraby!

Astrid felt better after putting the baby to bed and crawling under the covers with Dinny. Now they were a real family - well, kind of. Not super officially yet. But their most important requirement was over, their first big hurdle cleared.

The arrival of the first heir added a whole new layer of chaos to what was already some pretty consistent chaos. Everybody wanted to play with Leif. Everybody wanted to cook. Everybody wanted to kiss Siobhan Murphy. (Okay, that was just Bradan, who was putting his genes to work on some single townie women.)

Poor Astrid had to fight her way through a bunch of men in armor and/or striped pajamas to have a single moment with her son.

And a moment it truly was. Babies are boring. On to toddlerhood!

Leif inherited a nice mixture of things from both parents: Astrid’s hair and facial features, Dinny’s skin slider and eye color. He was born an Artistic Heavy Sleeper who liked Geek Rock, vegetarian chili, and the color lilac.

He spent the rest of the morning learning how to walk from his father. Then, Dinny had another important commitment to attend to.

Dinny and Astrid drove out to one of the scenic bridges on the edge of Dragon Valley, where a waterfall thundered down into a rocky pool.

“Dinny? Are you…are you all right?”
“Oh, yes, darling. Just admiring the view and soaking in this moment. Just really becoming one with the rocks, you know?”

“We’ve come so far together already, Dinny. I can’t believe I just met you a few days ago.”
“I know. It feels like we were destined to be together, doesn’t it?”

“Yes, and that’s exactly why I think we should…you know, be boyfriend and girlfriend?”
“I’d agree with that.”

“But also I’m madly in love with you in a way that goes far, far beyond mere courtship, and thus I must drop to one knee and beg you, my sweet Dinny, before my soul bursts with passionate feeling - please, won’t you accept this ring and become my betrothed and marry me this moment before the sun sets on our love?!?”

Dinny said yes. Then he and Astrid whirled into their formal clothes and exchanged rings just before golden hour ended.

Congratulations to the very first Mr. and Mrs. Staraby! In this timeline, anyway.

Then it was time for a romantic snapshot…

…or an attempt at one. An admirable attempt.

Now they were a family. It was the start of a new age - age that would last for a very, very, very long time.

Author’s Notes
- If you’re confused about Leif’s vibrant turquoise skintone, I don’t blame you. Dinny’s skin looks like a pale grey, but he’s actually on the bluey-green skintone slider in CAS (I took a peek in my test file). And Astrid is on the pastel rainbow slider. My guess is that Leif landed on his father’s slider, but with his mother’s placement, resulting in that very bright turquoise color. I literally never play with Sims that are on the colorful sliders, so this is all very new and weird and exciting to me!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 08:31:59 PM »
Chapter 4 - Fresh as a Daisy

And so Leif became a fixture in the household, doted on by everyone (though none more than Astrid).

Even the rather aloof and self-obsessed Bradan couldn’t resist making Leif giggle once in a while.

Although generation one was just starting, time was flying for the adults. Nuala had her adult birthday while harvesting late at night.

Dinny followed a day or so later.

His midlife crisis wishes were potentially dynasty-ruining, which is why all of them mysteriously disappeared from his wish panel. Instead, he spent a few days fishing his way up the food chain, all the way to deathfish. A good reminder of how precious a commodity time is in this dynasty, no?

Siobhan Murphy visited the house again and revealed that her little makeout session with Bradan in previous chapters had been…well…more than a makeout session. Lorna gave her a quick look-over and determined that she was having a girl. There were already quite a few babies and toddlers running around Dragon Valley, but it would never hurt to have more!

Leif learned his toddler skills quickly and almost painlessly…

…and got to know the only other smallish creature in the house, on an introductory level.

Then it was birthday time!

Leif became an Ambitious child. You can’t be a Staraby if you’re not an overachiever.

He was immediately taken under Lorna’s wing. Lorna shared with him all the wisdom of geometry under the shade of the backyard cherry trees.

Bradan was working behind the scenes as a pollinator, but he had other powers to contribute as well. He was a rather terrible witch and managed to vanish about 60% of the apples he tried to convert…but once he converted a special seed, all was forgiven, kind of.

Things were happening. Time was moving ahead. And Quinn kept the mood lighthearted amid the long days and nights of skilling, dish cleaning, and money earning.

Leif started school - and thus, spouse hunting. On his very first day he brought home the promisingly periwinkle Nadine Eames. Well done, Leif!

The next day, he befriended the hilariously moody and jarringly named Alfonzo Mithrilen. Obviously Alfonzo couldn’t be Leif’s spouse, but at least he was fun to look at.

Quinn seemed to be getting over his rather awkward attraction towards Lorna and finally went after a younger woman. He met Marian Hooley around town and invited her over. Maybe he really did have a thing for that pale yellowish skintone, or something.

A few hours of chatting led to more hours of romantic interactions. Nuala weeded her plants nearby and tried to ignore them - and trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling stirring somewhere in the region of her gut.

“Oh, NO! How can it be my birthday already?! I am still young, fresh as a daisy, without a wrinkle or a blemish, still bright and sprightly as a spring morning! A-Aren’t I??”

There were birthdays happening everywhere. Leif only had to attend school for two days before his tutoring sessions with Lorna nudged him up to an A. Time for another cake!

Leif acquired the Perfectionist trait, continuing his steady progress towards becoming a Total Overachiever Of The Artsy Variety.

Petal was becoming a great hunter and starting to pad the family funds nicely.

But she was always, first and foremost, a lap dog. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 08:39:39 PM »
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #1

To: Sunny Bakshi, Librarian
Papyrus Memorial Library
Sunset Valley

Dearest Sunny,

I remember you telling me that time would move faster in my timeline than in yours, and wow, you were right! Of course, I have no way of knowing for sure how time is moving for you…but judging by the fact that my son is already a teenager, I think I can assume that time here in Dragon Valley is flying. Like…like a dragon!

Everything that has happened is far too much to squeeze into one letter, but to summarize: I am surrounded by kind and skilled friends who help me run the household. We live in a beautiful, springtimey house with clear windows and pastel paint and wisteria on the walls. I am in love with a red-haired man who is too beautiful for words and who used to be a cashier, in some other timeline. I have a dog who is learning to hunt. And of course, I have a son. Leif, the first heir to this dynasty, is growing into a responsible and promising young gentleman. He’s already started on his chosen skill. I will enclose a few of his earlier sketches. It’s clear he is an absolute prodigy!

Oh, Sunny, this world is so beautiful! The mountains are steep and deepest green, with overlooks rivaling my wildest imaginings. In the valleys, the grasses themselves wind and twist into mysteriously intentional-looking designs. Distant lakes glimmer under a wash of silver sky… [omitted: fourteen pages of landscape description]

Sunny, I only realized that I hadn’t written to you yet when I received your list in the mail detailing some potential spouses for Leif. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I do apologize for the embarrassing delay. I hope your research is going well. I’ve learned nothing about my old family, but that’s because all my attention and imagination is caught up in the people around me. And that’s kind of the whole point, right?

Kiss some Sunset Valley book spines for me!

Your most sincere friend and pen pal,
Astrid Staraby

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 09:03:53 PM »
Chapter 5 - Lists

Bradan became the first member of the household to become an elder - aside from Lorna, who possibly had been an elder since, like, the dinosaurs walked the earth. Or so the story went, anyway.

Leif’s birthday was on a weekend, so he had a nice couple of days in which to start on his chosen skill.

And get to know some spouse options, of course. He ran into Nadine, his childhood friend, at the park on Saturday. She’d grown up very cute…but no hearts flew when they talked to each other.

Instead, Leif kept finding his gaze drifting over towards a girl he’d never seen before. Blue hair, mismatched outfit, quietly enjoying the afternoon shade…who was she?

Their hands didn’t even touch before the butterflies started in Leif’s stomach. He liked this girl much better than Nadine, and he hadn’t even spoken to her yet!

Her name was Cara Gallgher, and she lived in town with her many adopted brothers and sisters. She quickly revealed herself to be sweet, charming, and on the quiet side - a nice change from Nadine, who was blatantly declaring her disapproval from three inches away.

Leif ended up telling Cara all about the 4x4 dynasty. He hadn’t been planning on it…it was just so easy to tell her things.

“Oh, you’re doing a dynasty?! I’ve heard stories about those! They sound so wonderful and interesting. I’ve always dreamed of being part of one.”

That was highly promising. When Leif complimented Cara’s unique shade of hair and sweet eyes, she took a step closer and giggled endearingly. Leif promised to keep in touch - he was likely to be a young adult before her, but he knew he wouldn’t forget her.

As the weekend was winding down, Leif ran into one other teenage girl around town who was on his mother’s list. (Yes, his mother had a list. Apparently she’d followed a list herself when trying to find a husband. Leif wondered where the heck all these lists were coming from.)

Her name was Leticia O’Reilly. Leif met her at the elixir store. He was not ready for the encounter. Was this some kind of...makeup trend?

Leticia was nice, but once again, there were no hearts. And she had absolutely nothing to say. Nothing at all. Leif tried to make conversation for a valiant length of time - Leticia would just smile, or say “mmhmm,” and then awkwardly stare at the floor. Leif found himself thinking of his blue-haired Cara and wishing she were here. She would’ve laughed at his joke about oversaturation and clashing colors.

Fortunately, he had plenty of time. He had to complete approximately one bazillion paintings before he’d be allowed to marry. He just hoped his first choice would wait that long.

Leif came home exhausted, but not too exhausted to notice that old Lorna was cooking up something new in the kitchen. Something that somehow smelled simultaneously of fish and fruit. Gross…but also intoxicating?

The next day was Leif’s birthday. Time to get older!

Yikes, not that much older.

Leif’s final trait revealed that he’d inherited his mother’s sensitivity and intense emotions. He was now Over-Emotional, as well as Artistic, a Heavy Sleeper, Ambitious, and a Perfectionist. He chose Swimming in Cash as his unexciting Lifetime Wish.

After registering at City Hall, Leif dove into the world of painting, intending never to surface until he’d finished his requirements.

…Except for graduation. It was the first one of the dynasty, so Astrid insisted that everyone put on their most dramatic formal outfits and escort the chosen one to the ceremony.

Leif graduated with Highest Honors, and his classmates voted him Most Likely to Fulfill His Lifetime Wish. This was incredibly accurate - one of Petal’s recent hunts had brought in multiple tiberium gems. Leif had actually completed his LTW earlier that same day. :D

After the ceremony, Leif ran into Cara just outside.

“I have a graduation gift for you, Cara,” Leif said shyly. “It’s…it’s my very first painting. It’s not good, but it kind of means a lot to me, so…I thought you’d like it.”
“Leif, that’s so sweet of you! I adore it. It’s going on my wall right away.”

The family returned home to resume their usual skilling and housework. It turned out to be Lorna’s last day of such mundane-yet-important pursuits.

Astrid happened to be nearby. She saw her old friend turn into a ghost and felt the panic and grief welling up. “Okay, Astrid, breathe,” she told herself. “It’s the first death of the dynasty…you can do this! You knew this was coming! It’s fine! She was old! Everything is fine!”

The rest of the family assembled too. And the Grim Reaper made his first appearance at 64 Oak Grove.

“Why does everybody have to die right next to a wall?? Just once, I’d like to do a proper reaping with an aesthetically pleasing background, not wave my scythe through a bunch of bricks and shout through the window!”

Lorna McCann had done so much for the Starabys, and she knew there was more she could have done. But time marched ever onward. Rest in peace, Lorna. Become one with the land again.

Although Astrid and Leif were both Over-Emotional, Leif was the more expressive of the two in this scenario. He collapsed on his father’s shoulder in a torrent of sobs.

“How will I ever handle it, Father??” he cried. “Lorna taught me everything! I didn’t get enough time with her!”
“It’s all right, son. You just need to wear armor 24/7 like I do. Then you’ll be able to handle anything.”

Lorna’s death was a reminder to everyone that time was moving quickly and would take Sims and pets alike with it. But no pets yet! Petal was the first to partake in Lorna’s most important gift to the family: a replicator full of ambrosia. Did it extend her age at all? Nope! The symbolism, however, stands.

Author’s Notes
- Nadine Eames was my ideal spouse choice for Leif, based on her appearance. But she turned out to be a Diva who basically threw a fit the first time she saw Leif talking to Cara. And Leif’s attraction to Cara was so organic and immediate that I couldn’t help but ship them.
- I’d seen Leticia O’Reilly’s name in the paper when she was first born (she and Nadine are two of the three unborn babies at the start of the game, the other one being Alfonzo Mithrilen), but I hadn’t seen her anywhere until the day Leif met her at the elixir store. I was relieved to see that she existed, alarmed by her shockingly red skintone, and bowled over with laughter to see that she’d been Tragic Clowned. I wish I’d been able to see her face better. Even so, I don’t think she’ll be in the running for spouse. She and Leif chatted briefly when I directed them to, but when left on their own, they literally did not say another word to each other. For hours. They just stood there, looking down at the floor, occasionally chuckling awkwardly. Not. A. Peep. I’ve never had two Sims act like that before. The lack of chemistry was just astonishing.
- Apparently the only way to extend a pet’s life while they’re still alive is with the “Animal Expert” Lifetime Reward. I think gourmet pet food is also supposed to work, in theory, but I’ve had no success with it in this file. :( I guess we’ll just have to make sure somebody in the household always has that LTR. Petal must live forever!!! (Or at least a while, please.)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »
@Beks -- I am so glad that players are still doing old Dynasties. Good luck with your new Staraby Dynasty and story. It's hard to believe, but the 4 X 4 Dynasty will soon celebrate its 10th anniversary (August 31). I'm trying to remember if it was the last Sims 3 Dynasty.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 01:33:00 PM »
@Metropolis Man, thank you so much! I'm honored that you're reading and commenting on my story. :) I always have so much fun playing the old dynasties and I'm very grateful that you and the challenge team put so much work into them over the years. I had no idea it was the 10th anniversary of the 4x4 this year. I'm even more glad I'm playing it now!

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:44:44 PM »
I always have so much fun playing the old dynasties and I'm very grateful that you and the challenge team put so much work into them over the years.

Thank you so much. Speaking of the old Dynasties, I did some snooping and saw that you also finished the Life States Dynasty but were not in the HOF for that particular one. But then I saw in your story that it was not eligible.
I look forward to reading your new 4 X 4 story.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »
Thank you so much. Speaking of the old Dynasties, I did some snooping and saw that you also finished the Life States Dynasty but were not in the HOF for that particular one. But then I saw in your story that it was not eligible.
I look forward to reading your new 4 X 4 story.

Yup, I messed up on that one right near the end! Oh well. I'm determined to succeed with the 4x4, though I think it's quite a bit harder, so we'll see. Thank you!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 04:47:46 PM »
Chapter 6 - Circling

It was the day after Lorna’s death. Nuala had spent the morning at the library, reading the last of the high-level cooking books and trying to ignore the emptiness inside of her. Lorna had been her closest friend in the household. They’d spent many hours in the kitchen and garden together, and in the large shared bedroom, Nuala had often fallen asleep listening to Lorna mumble from within a dream. Now, with Lorna gone, Nuala had to take over the cooking and gardening in full. She was more than happy to do so, but she still felt bereft knowing that Lorna wouldn’t be there to guide her.

Nuala returned home around lunchtime and busied herself in the garden. While standing at the composting machine, though, she broke down into tears again. She didn’t realize that someone was nearby, watching her.

Quinn approached cautiously. “Why the long face, Nuala?”
“You know why. I don’t need to hear any of your jokes right now, Quinn.”

“Why would I joke about something like this? We’re all heartbroken, Nuala. You most of all. I know she was your closest friend.”
“Oh. Thanks, I guess.”
“I also know that I haven’t been around very much. I’ve been busy with work and…other things. But I want you to know that I’m here for you, and ever since that first day I saw you doing magic tricks in the park, I knew that I wanted to be your friend.”

Nuala burst out crying again at that. And as if to demonstrate his commiseration, Quinn burst out crying too.

It was a theatrical moment, but a genuine one. Nuala had never seen this side of Quinn before - at least, not when she was around. She’d seen him be all gentle and swoonworthy with other women around town. She’d even been jealous. Was this, the loss of Lorna, an opportunity to break through and have a chance with him herself?

She went for it. If it didn’t go over well, she could blame it on the grief.

“What…what just happened?”

“Something that was always meant to happen. Can’t you feel it, Quinn? You’re a pollinator, I’m a helper. We’re both blessed with fantastical features and impressive skills. We’ve been circling around each other in this household for weeks. Who’s to say we weren’t meant to be together all along? Doesn’t this feel like destiny? Like something pre-ordained?"

Quinn responded by pulling her in for another kiss. The other women he’d wooed (and impregnated) faded from his mind in an instant. He couldn’t believe he’d never noticed Nuala in that way before. She was periwinkle, for watcher’s sake!

Love was blooming among the helpers at 64 Oak Grove, but what about the heir himself?

Leif was deep in his painting that afternoon. When glancing out the window of his studio, he noticed a bright red figure walking down the road in the distance. Was that…Tragic Clown girl?! Leif gulped. He knew which girl he liked the most, but his mother had encouraged him to give chances to every eligible woman he encountered, just to be sure.

So he ran out to catch up with Leticia, who was on her way to Cladach Beach. Five minutes in her presence told him all he needed to know. Leticia was nice, and much better looking without the clown makeup, but…she was boring. Impossibly boring.

How fortunate, then, that it was a popular day for visiting the beach. Cara showed up just as Leticia settled herself into a distant beach chair.

“I’m glad you’re here, Cara,” said Leif. “I’ve been wanting to ask you - will you go on a date with me?”
“A date? Really?! With you?!”
“Yes.”
“Oh, I’d love to! How about tomorrow, after my work shift?”

Leif and Cara met up the next day in the very same park where they’d met.

“You already know about the dynasty, Cara,” said Leif. “So this is your chance to walk away. But…I would love it if you would join our household. And also become my girlfriend, maybe?”

“Oh, Leif, of course I will!”

And so the household gained a new member. Cara’s traits were Neurotic, Excitable, Kleptomaniac, Friendly, and Supernatural Skeptic, and she liked classical music, spaghetti, and the color lime. With a quick haircut and a new wardrobe, she became cuter than ever.

The household was still pretty grim in the wake of Lorna’s death, but Cara brought some welcome sunshine. Her first activity of choice was to swat grouchy old Bradan with a pillow.

She also expressed an interest in the culinary arts. An employed cook would be a great addition to the family, so after applying for a job at the restaurant in town, she started working on her cooking skill.

She spent the rest of the day at the library, reading cookbooks and daydreaming about her future as a dynasty spouse. She had a feeling it was going to be pure, uninhibited fun.

Author's Notes
- I got Cara's hair as a free download from the Sims 3 store a while back, and I have never had a Sim who was able to wear it without looking like a pigtailed version of Megamind. UNTIL NOW. It's still kind of a silly hairstyle, in my opinion, but as soon as I saw that it looked moderately cute on Cara, I knew I had to use it. If only to justify the tiny amount of space it takes up on my hard drive. After this, if I never use it again, I won't feel guilty.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
Chapter 7 - By the Flagon

The Staraby household was beginning to feel a bit crowded. With Cara moved in and Leif’s requirements well underway, Astrid began to wonder how the next generation would fare in such a full house.

Bradan was nearing the end of his lifespan. Astrid knew this, and although she felt a little guilty about it, she decided to cautiously approach the subject.

“Hi, Bradan - can I talk to you? I, um…well, I-I’m aware of the fact that you’re…”
“Super old?”
“I wasn’t going to put it like that. But yes.”
“Grim could come for me any day now. It’s too bad for all my fans, really.”
“...Right. Well I just wanted to say, you’ve done so much for us here, Bradan. I know you aren’t exactly close to any of us, and you didn’t really move here by choice. So…if you want to spend the end of your life elsewhere, I completely understand.”
“Seriously? You want me to move out?”
“I-I don’t WANT you to, exactly--”
“It’s about time! I’ve been bored out of my mind for weeks, except when I’m at work.”

Bradan was more than happy to take one for the team and move out. He had never really felt at home with the Starabys - he much preferred wooing fans around town and winning every game at the stadium, without all this dynasty nonsense getting in his way.

“I’d like to speak to my agent, please. Yes, hello. Get me the bougiest apartment in Dragon Valley. I’m starting fresh.”

Astrid was sure to thank Bradan for his services before he left the house. His money had allowed them to build a real house, and his descendants would boost the town population for years to come.

Cara settled into the family nicely - and quickly made her kleptomaniac trait known, at least to Leif. She came home from work late one night with this adorable stuffed ducky in her inventory. :)

She loved her job - so much so that she sometimes got a little too excited and forgot to put her breakfast down on the way out the door.

She also started learning how to garden. Nuala was the primary gardener, but the garden had gotten so large that even Nuala couldn’t always tend it fully in a single day. Cara stepped in and started getting to know the magical fruits that Nuala had cultivated so well.

Leif worked steadily on his requirements. His opportunities were very slow to fire - as in, he only got one painting opportunity in his whole young adult life stage - but he zoomed his way up to the top of the painter career by selling his work at the consignment store.

Quinn and Nuala went on dates almost every night. They particularly enjoyed touring the spooky backstage areas of World's Theatre.

Astrid still spent almost every waking moment with her dogs.

Yes, dogs plural! Petal was getting on in years, although Astrid refused to admit it. Even so, when she saw a puppy available for adoption whose name was Petunia, Astrid couldn’t resist taking her home.

Petunia wasn’t the only tiny creature around. While out scoping for best friends, Leif stopped by the O’Reilly house to visit his friend Leticia. He walked into the front hall and found Leticia cooing over one dragon on her shoulder, with another one sending up puffs of flame behind her. Dragons! Real ones!

“Of course dragons are real, Leif! Why did you think this place is called Dragon Valley?”
“I’ve just…never seen one…”
“There are a couple around town, but they’re cursed with permanent routing issues and cannot be interacted with. But you can always just buy an egg and hatch your own. They’re great! You should try it!”

Obviously Leif had to agree. The egg was laid to rest on the front lawn. Leif cooed over that scaly shell all afternoon. Leticia had told him that one particular type of dragon was really useful for gardeners. Two of Leif’s favorite people in the world were gardeners, including his girlfriend. So he tried to focus on plant-related topics of conversation.

Several hours later, in the dark of night, the egg broke open with a puff of smoke and greenish sparkles. And a baby green dragon was born!

Even by daylight, this little guy had pretty good camouflage. Leif named him Pippin.

The whole family went bananas over Pippin’s cuteness, and sometimes fought over who got to carry him around in their inventory. Nuala and Cara got dibs, being the resident gardeners. Gardening skill levels saw a definite boost when Pippin was nearby.

Petal had her elder birthday and Astrid tried not to cry.

Quinn hadn’t seen his daughter, Felisha Hooley, since she was a baby. Time was flying in this dynasty, after all. Once Felisha aged up to teen, Quinn started rolling wishes to visit her and talk to her. He arranged for the two of them to meet at a park near the Hooley house. He was worried that Felisha wouldn’t even want to talk to him since he’d been so absent, but she was all excitement to see her father again.

And she laughed at all his jokes! That was the true sign of friendship, in Quinn’s opinion. He promised to invite Felisha over more often and ensure she felt like part of the family.

Leif was making good progress on his requirements, but there was one aspect that troubled him.

“Mother, I think I need your help. I’m almost at the top of my career and my painting skill challenges are complete, but I’ve only received one opportunity. I need three more before I can…you know, bring in the next generation. And I’m almost an adult, and Cara isn’t getting any younger, and…”

“I’m so glad you asked, darling. You should write to Sunny!”
“Sunny? Who’s Sunny?”
“Sunny Bakshi of Sunset Valley! I guess it’s time I told you about her, huh? She’s the one who got me started on this dynasty. She’s doing research in the Sunset Valley archives to try and learn about our family’s past.”
“Our family has a past? Before you?”
“You have no idea. Actually I don’t, either. There might not be anything to find, but Sunny is going to try anyway. And she’s amazingly knowledgeable about dynasties, too. And history, and maps, and spouse options…”
“Wait. Is this where you’ve been getting all your lists from?”
“Yes!”

“I guess it’s worth a shot. Thanks, Mother.”
“Of course, darling. And when you write, tell Sunny I said hello! I haven’t written to her since yesterday!”

Author’s Notes
- I don’t know what kind of restaurant has stuffed duckies that customers can steal, but I desperately want to go to one.
- Bradan moved out the day before his life bar filled up. I checked the newspaper two days later and he had already passed away. RIP, Bradan. (He had two children with other townies, and we’ll probably see more of them in the future.)
- Okay, the dragons in this game are super cute, but…kind of annoying? My main pet peeve is that although they are technically objects who hang out in people’s inventories, I cannot click and drag them from one inventory to another. The Sim holding them has to physically put them down before anything else can happen. And sometimes the Sims take forever to figure out where and how to put the dragon down. I also still haven’t quite figured out all of their benefits, but Pippin filling his carrier’s hunger and bladder bars is certainly a nice bonus!

anything