Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 354578 times)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Several months ago I posted a batch file I use to keep the cache files deleted. It's sense got buried in the forum so I thought this might be a good place to bring it up again if anyone is interested. And I've made some changes to it also.
I use this to start my game every time and I have fewer problems in the game.

@echo off
del "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CASPartCache.package"
del "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\scriptCache.package"
del "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\compositorCache.package"
del "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\simCompositorCache.package"
del /q "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\WorldCaches\*.*"
start /d "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Generations\Game\Bin" Sims3Launcher.exe
exit

Open Notepad and copy and paste that there. You will have to change the directory paths to match the location to your documents folder and the path to your game folder. Like if you don't have Generations but are playing Late Night change The Sims 3 Generations to The Sims 3 Late Night.

After that in Notepad click on File then Save As. On the save screen there is a Save as Type drop down menu. It should have Text Document (*.txt) in it now. Open the drop down menu and select All Files (*.*) It's the only other option there.
Under the File Name type in what ever you want to name the file and add .bat to the end of it. For example I named mine Clean Sims.bat

Select where you want to save the file. I put mine on the desktop to have easy access to it. Click on this file like any other and the batch file will run, delete the 4 cache files, delete DCBackup files, delete the WorldCaches files then start the game for you.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

CarlosLordofTacos

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
That`s brilliant! What if you don`t have a WorldCache?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
Just delete that line?

Very clever little gadget grimsoul.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
That`s brilliant! What if you don`t have a WorldCache?

If the file isn't there it will just move to the next line without stopping for a error message.
So you can remove it or leave it in so if you ever do have a Worldcache it will take care of it.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
Wow!
So, we copy that, but make sure that the filepaths are correct?
How did you think of doing that?
EDIT: And I suggest people look at this topic. It's Grimsoul's original, and Hosfac gave some tips on it.
EDIT 2: Grimsoul, is it possible to move screenshots as well? I have a need to take 10 of the same sim. :P

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
Wow!
So, we copy that, but make sure that the filepaths are correct?
Yes, Just copy it to Notepad and Save it as a .bat file and run it.

How did you think of doing that?
I use to do stuff like that years ago back in the days of MS-DOS and Basic Programing. But I had to do some research to refresh my memory on how to do it sense it had been so long.

EDIT: And I suggest people look at this topic. It's Grimsoul's original, and Hosfac gave some tips on it.

EDIT 2: Grimsoul, is it possible to move screenshots as well? I have a need to take 10 of the same sim. :P
Do you mean moving files from one directory to another? If so check here for some info on how to do it.

Leto85

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
That looks very interesting what you've just typed Grimsoul, but isn't that concidered modding? I mean, you're basically creating files on your own according to sims.
Though I will try it out one day perhaps, as it looks interesting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
I tried it but experienced problems after patching. I've been meaning to rewrite it.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:15 AM »
That looks very interesting what you've just typed Grimsoul, but isn't that concidered modding? I mean, you're basically creating files on your own according to sims.
Though I will try it out one day perhaps, as it looks interesting.

I don't feel like it's modding, Leto.  It's sort of like a small program that cleans out the cache files so you don't have to do it manually.  Advanced computer users may be comfortable with this, but there's still nothing wrong with doing it the old fashioned way through Explorer and deleting the files manually.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
I hadn't even thought about it being a MOD. It's not altering the game play or the way the Sims works, It's just helping with housecleaning on your hard drive.

Leto85

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2011, 03:07:03 AM »
I don't feel like it's modding, Leto.  It's sort of like a small program that cleans out the cache files so you don't have to do it manually.  Advanced computer users may be comfortable with this, but there's still nothing wrong with doing it the old fashioned way through Explorer and deleting the files manually.

Ah, okey! Than it's indeed not a mod.
Though my opinion stays that your (grimsoul) method looks very interesting.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
I tried grimsoul's method and my game run alot smoother. I had no idea, outside of the few files listed earlier, that I could delete. So after deleting my world cache files, well that took alot off my game. Thanks grimsoul ;D

Leto85

« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »
At Grimsoul: Perhaps it is a good thing to type your method in a seperate topic here? I think everybody likes it when it's sticky so everyone can see it.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:32 AM »
At Grimsoul: Perhaps it is a good thing to type your method in a seperate topic here? I think everybody likes it when it's sticky so everyone can see it.

I have it in a separate topic here but added it to this sense it was sticky message already here and talking about cleaning your cache files.

Leto85

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »
I have it in a separate topic here but added it to this sense it was sticky message already here and talking about cleaning your cache files.

I've made it sticky, as I saw it wasn't already. Again, this is a very smart finding of you. Thanks very much!

anything