Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 314264 times)

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
One good way to make sure you don't delete anything critical is to do it with the game running. I play with the game not in full-screen mode, which makes it easy.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline lawlietismine25

• NPC
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I know I'm kinda "late to the party" here, but this is something that I just noticed. I deleted the ccmerged file because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to, but after I started a new game, it was there in the DCBackup folder like it was supposed to be. O.o

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
I know I'm kinda "late to the party" here, but this is something that I just noticed. I deleted the ccmerged file because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to, but after I started a new game, it was there in the DCBackup folder like it was supposed to be. O.o

Yes, that's correct, it's recreated when you load the game, but that's not going to do you, or anyone else, any good, because the new file is just a useless empty shell. It's only 1 kB in size, the proper ccmerged file is around 6 kB. So if you want your Store Premium Content to work the way it's supposed to, do not delete the ccmerged.package file!

Read more about it here.

Edit to add, the size of the ccmerged.package file will of course vary. The more premium content you install, the bigger it gets. The 6 kB above was referring to the size of my own ccmerged file when I made this post.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »
I made the mistake of deleting my ccmerged.package file but I managed to find it in my recycling bin. Will my premium content work again if I replace the new ccmerged.package file with the old one from the recycling bin?
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
I want to say no... I could be wrong but something is telling me I did this exact thing in the past and it did not work. I had to uninstall and reinstall premium content.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
I made the mistake of deleting my ccmerged.package file but I managed to find it in my recycling bin. Will my premium content work again if I replace the new ccmerged.package file with the old one from the recycling bin?

Yes, I think it will. I tried that a while ago, just to see if it was okay, and it worked fine, exactly as before. So go ahead and replace it, Snuffles, if you haven't already. You've got nothing to lose. You can't do the switch when the game is running, though. Windows won't allow that. Do it before you start the game. Good luck with getting your premium stuff back in tip top shape!

Offline simlover16

• Townie
    • The Power of Knowledge Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but a Factory Reset SAVED my game. If done correctly, It will delete EVERYTHING but your saves, CC, and mods. I'd been meaning to delete all of my, for example, saved hair colors, ect. My game is running unbelievably fast now. It saved my dynasty.
"You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?" -Dom Cobb

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »
It worked! My Premium Content is back to normal now. 
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
That was good news, Snuffles! :) My sims really love the wood fired oven, and would be heartbroken if they couldn't use it all of a sudden.

Offline Nancy1989

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
This is great! I already knew about it, but they never told me to leave the ccmerged file alone. So when I tried it I had to reinstall every single store item again....And I have -a lot-. So that's not something I wish to do more than once. With your tip I was able to remove nearly 5000 files combined the size of nearly 8GB. I thank you kindly!

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
I was so glad to run into this cause my game has been so annoyingly slow!!! But I went to My documents-electronics arts-Sims 3-DC backup... and there was nothing in there! Then I went to check my ScreenShots, and I only found my old ones.  Even my saved games, the new ones just don't appear. Do you have any idea where everything might be going now?

Or should I just erase and install the game all over again?
¡Pura vida!

Offline AudreyAwesome

• NPC
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
 woh thaks! i got rid of 850 objects!

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »
Back when I was a nooboo to Sims3 game, I didn't even know what to do to those cache files. I keep them as it is. And so my game keep crashing to desktop and my computer auto shut down. But now that I know it, I delete them everytime I close the game. My gameplay is somewhat fast now and is never crashing. I have just base game so there is no DCBackup in the sims3 folder. My computer is an old cheap slow one, so playing sims3 on it is hard for me. The game doesn't lag but it takes sometime to load a save file, house and lots. And the game rarely crash now when I keep the game  in create-a-sim and build mode for long time. Thanks to the forum for giving the tips about deleting the cache files.:)
Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Jamie

• Occult
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
I have Nraas's Errortrap mod and when I was deleting these files, I found some files called "Script Error". Should I be worried about these or is there anything I can do with them?

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Still no word of my problem? How can I know where my files and screenshots go? They don't go where they are supposed to go! I just can't find anything!

I bought a combo of sims and pets, then supernatural in a CD and downloaded ambitions from the EA page. I have files of test games and screenshots with all of those expansions, but something happened, I don't know what, and now I don't know where everything goes! I think I made a backup folder... But I can't find anything, and still, why would files go to a backup folder? Or maybe I don't know what to look for?

The good thing about this is that my game doesn't crash anymore  :) I used to delete caches every now and then because the game used to crash if I didn't, now well, I can't even find those caches!
¡Pura vida!

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
I found a new folder - "FeaturedItems" - that has hundreds of thumbnails of (I'm guessing) in-game store items. Can these be safely deleted?
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
Best. Advice. Ever. I have been playing since 2011 and it was getting so slow... I thought it was just my computer and I'd have to live with it, but wow, it's fixed!

Offline stallias

• Nooboo
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
More than 450 CCbackup packages I was able to delete as well as the 4 cache files. I restarted my laptop, now to see if my game is faster.

EDIT: Well, the loading screen still loads in fits and spurts, but it's not taking eons anymore. Edit Town is much faster and smoother. Loading build/buy in the actual game took a few seconds longer to load, but seconds don't really matter. Gameplay itself is SO much better! Overall, I'm so grateful for this thread being here! Thanks!

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Hi Stallias, welcome to the forum and glad all the moderators' work payed off!

Offline notjustabook

• Occult
  • I'm Louise but you can just call me Louise
« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
Yikes, I had almost a gigabyte worth of files in the DC Backup folder. Excited to see if it makes a difference when I play.

EDIT: Oh wow, seems to be working like a charm. Loading times aren't improved (but then I do have a lot of CC), but the game runs very smoothly as far as I can see. Thanks for the info!

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
Stuff in the FeaturedItems folder can be deleted, but the game will just re-download it all again.

If you are happy fiddling around with Windows, you can set the folder to "Read Only", which will stop the game from saving more thumbnails to the folder. Also, turn off "store content" in your options. Your premium items will still be there (in my experience) but it will stop downloading Featured Items for Build/Buy mode.

I've also been using a program called Save Cleaner. That seems to help a lot.

Offline Mahmeya

• Townie
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
Something that's probably not without risk: If you use a sim for travelling, and use it a lot, your save size will grow. Fully exploring most tombs and doing many adventures caused my save to grow near 2GB, which will take some time to load (and save). So was trying something: When the sim who done the travelling died, I've deleted the files (I believe it was 7 files) associated with the travels: They are named China*.*, Egypt*.* and France*.* + there's the TravelDB.package file. If you're sure the sim will not travel anymore under your control (dead, moved out of your household) or you're switching towns, you can delete them at your own risk* to speed up the load/save process. Though when switching towns it's better done by saving your sims to the bin, and starting new game in different town with them. Yes, you can use the move between 'hoods feature, but starting anew guarantees the save will be as small as possible.

*I did this a few times without problems, but you never know...

Offline Puddingfishcake

• NPC
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
I have a really good tip to shorten the time of loading screens! (If you have cc)

So, cc has often names with (){}][, spaces and other charcaters.
if you want to speed up the loading time you need to rename the cc you have and only use a-z, 0-9, - and _, those are seen as proper codes (?) (sorry I'm not English).
If you have like way to many files you can easily edit all you files in like 2 minutes with the bulk rename utility, you can like say change all ( in - or omething :)
I've done it with my sims 2 today and my loading time went from 30 minutes to 15 :D! It probably works with sims 3 too but I haven't tested it yet!

Offline Harmlessoldlady

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
I found the hints in here very helpful. Even with my new computer with huge storage and speed, I had to do a Factory Reset early on.

The hints to move Screenshots and Saves out of the main game into separate folders has been very helpful in keeping the game speedy and fun. I do have to remember to move a Save into the Saves folder before starting the game...and I'm old so that's challenging, but I'm getting the hang of it.

In fact, following many screenshot hints in this Forum, I have begun to truly enjoy creating slideshows for my computer. Watching those feels like I'm playing even when I'm not. whee.

One cache package file I do not delete is the "userPresets.package" so I don't have to choose my season length and population choices every single time I start the game.

Offline Mortiferon

• NPC
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Registered to let others know, I just did this following instructions to the letter, NOT touching the ccmerged.package, and yet absolutely not a single one of my store contents worked after. So, be smart, make a FULL backup of DCCache, DCBackup and the compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, socialCache.package, and CASPartCache.package because I have no idea which of these was responsible for my unfortunate result.

I'm in the process of re-installing the content now... don't know yet if more drastic measures are called for. I will edit when I find out.

anything